Install Arc
Options

The best kinda girls ...

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Smart girls were always more fun, that's what i found anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vrano wrote:
    When I had to live with Mom after getting out of the Navy so she could help me with my son (I was a single father), I had no car and had to use hers. It was a white Dodge Neon, with a huge lipstick kiss on the front of it on the hood. One day, a buddy of mine and I had to go somewhere, and I had the soundtrack to Mulan playing. Both of us singing. To Mulan. In a white Neon. With pink lipstick kiss on the hood.

So, don't let anyone bust your chops over liking Disney. I like Disney, too. And I have a beard. And I shoot firearms. And all sorts of other manly stuff. But Disney still rules.
    JackShadow wrote: »
    This. When I remarried, my daughter and I danced to "You've Got a Friend in Me", Randy Newman, from Toy Story. Me, in a Black Watch plaid and Prince Charlie jacket, her in a white princess dress.

Not a dry eye in the house.

The Irish have it right: "True strength lies in gentleness."
    Alluria80 wrote:
    I dated a guy briefly who was really into Disney.

It didn't go well.

the only thing I don't really like about Disney is that it's often way too sanitized. Of course, my version of Little Red Riding Hood is probably not suitable for children at this point.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jshign wrote:
    the only thing I don't really like about Disney is that it's often way too sanitized. Of course, my version of Little Red Riding Hood is probably not suitable for children at this point.

Pfft, read original, non-sanitized versions of anything HCA or the Grimms wrote, and it isn't suitable by today's standards. Back then, they didn't have to worry about PC, because the world was a rough place, and the sooner your kids knew it, the better. These are the stories I read to my kids.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vrano wrote:
    Pfft, read original, non-sanitized versions of anything HCA or the Grimms wrote, and it isn't suitable by today's standards. Back then, they didn't have to worry about PC, because the world was a rough place, and the sooner your kids knew it, the better. These are the stories I read to my kids.

the Brothers Grimm is even sanitized compared to some of the originals. Little Red Riding Hood did not get saved in the end.

My version was...bloodier. Though, she does kill the wolf in the end. I do think we need to let children read the originals though.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jshign wrote:
    the Brothers Grimm is even sanitized compared to some of the originals. Little Red Riding Hood did not get saved in the end.

My version was...bloodier. Though, she does kill the wolf in the end. I do think we need to let children read the originals though.

Well, the Brothers Grimm was sanitized only from the standpoint that they pulled their tales together from numerous parts of Germany and outlying areas, then condensed them into something workable. Little Red Riding Hood, aka Red Cap, has numerous versions of it. Norton Anthology has a book that I want to get that has four different versions of this tale in a book, as well as annotations and such. I have an annotated HCA and annotated Grimm edited by Maria Tatar which are pretty good (published through Norton) as well as a complete Brothers Grimm works, which include numerous little poems that are quite humorous. I wish we had this kind of exposure to literature instead of the watered down stuff we get now.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vrano wrote:
    Well, the Brothers Grimm was sanitized only from the standpoint that they pulled their tales together from numerous parts of Germany and outlying areas, then condensed them into something workable. Little Red Riding Hood, aka Red Cap, has numerous versions of it. Norton Anthology has a book that I want to get that has four different versions of this tale in a book, as well as annotations and such. I have an annotated HCA and annotated Grimm edited by Maria Tatar which are pretty good (published through Norton) as well as a complete Brothers Grimm works, which include numerous little poems that are quite humorous. I wish we had this kind of exposure to literature instead of the watered down stuff we get now.

Oh, I know. It's why I love studying folklore. there are some thousand different Little Red Riding Hood tales, including what may be the original from China called Aunt Tigress. The Grimm tales were sanitized because the central figure often gets redeemed or saved or survives. In the tales older than Grimm, the stories often involved the central person being very dead at the end.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jshign wrote:
    Oh, I know. It's why I love studying folklore. there are some thousand different Little Red Riding Hood tales, including what may be the original from China called Aunt Tigress. The Grimm tales were sanitized because the central figure often gets redeemed or saved or survives. In the tales older than Grimm, the stories often involved the central person being very dead at the end.

Have you ever read any works by Dr. Evans Smith, by chance?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vrano wrote:
    Have you ever read any works by Dr. Evans Smith, by chance?

Not yet. Unfortunately, my last college really did not encourage me to go that route, and I'm just getting back into it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok, just asking. He is a professor here at my University, and I took a couple of classes under him (mythology, folklore, etc). A lot of his influence comes from Joseph Campbell, whom he studied under and travelled with for a bit during his doctorate. Campbell, of course, defined the hero cycle in myth and literature.
    Some of his books include:
    Sacred Mysteries: Myths about Couples in Quests
    The Hero Journey in Literature
  • Options
    edited May 2010

My last university was not very welcoming to ancient history, mythology, or folklore.

I'm glad not to be there now.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jshign wrote:

My last university was not very welcoming to ancient history, mythology, or folklore.

I'm glad not to be there now.

I would have to say that if it weren't for Dr. Smith, we probably would not have it here either, so I count myself lucky to have had classes with him. We also have a fairly strong program in regards to Old English, Middle English, English Renaissance Lit, etc. I am not much on the study of modern lit, hence stopping at Victorian Lit.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Vrano wrote:
    I would have to say that if it weren't for Dr. Smith, we probably would not have it here either, so I count myself lucky to have had classes with him. We also have a fairly strong program in regards to Old English, Middle English, English Renaissance Lit, etc. I am not much on the study of modern lit, hence stopping at Victorian Lit.

My interest in history comes to a major halt around 1700. I love researching anything before that. Unfortunately, a lot of universities are focusing on modern history as if it is somehow better than the past.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jshign wrote:
    My interest in history comes to a major halt around 1700. I love researching anything before that. Unfortunately, a lot of universities are focusing on modern history as if it is somehow better than the past.

Better...no
    More relevant to today's events...more than likely. For instance, while I want to be a Medievalist, I will end up working on a project dealing with desegregation in the town I live in because of it's lack of being documented for posterity's sake. In other words, I want to get it down on paper, and do it while the people are still around to give me first hand information as well. Plus, it is relevant to issues that are still existent in the community today, and perhaps...what I do will make a difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    well, I see a lot of relevance in the older histories to what is going on today. It is part of what agrivates me about this whole situation
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, yeah...but that is not how they see it.
    This is especially true when people want to go in and make a change somewhere, without understanding the history, and end up opening up a pandora's box. Sometimes, things should be left alone, even if you (not you, but those in charge) don't agree with how things are. Understand what you are dealing with first, then act. Not the other way around.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I know...I hate this leap before you look attitude in society today. A lot of it comes from an imperialistic mindset that too many people posses these days. Basically, they think that their way is the best no matter what, and it creates all kinds of woe.