test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO = 100k Subs - Age of Conan / Warhammer has 300k and they are barely surviving...

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Personally I think STO will last a good while. I don't think it will ever become the MMO we all wanted but there's so many people that will play STO no matter how bad simply because its Star Trek.

I am confident that ToR will be an excellent game but because of all the hype, waiting time and so on there will be hell of a lot of people disappointed with ToR just the same as been with STO.

I personally am hoping ToR will be THE MMORPG. I am leaving STO in may tbh and going back to LoTRO because atm STO simply being Star Trek in name is not enough to keep me subbing, I have given them a few quid and that's enough for the time being.

Thing that kills STO mostly for me is that we are constantly bullsh*tted too by mainly Atari and all there PR blunders are really hurting STO, Best thing Cryptic could do is look for a company to buy out Atari for the rights of STO if that's at all possible.

At the end of the day there will always be doom-sayers that spout dis-information about STO because they simply want to see it fail cause it doesn't live up to there high standard and IMHO STO will live for quite sometime yet, How long, That depends on Atari/Cryptic. Really they should ditch whoever is pulling all these mindless PR stunts and start to fix existing bugs instead of spending there time adding pointless C-Store items that makes them look greedy and Desperate.

Season 1 and the Council really killed STO for me personally. Season 1 imho adds some nice stuff but its hardly a major content addition and the council Idea while nice in theory is going to blow up in there faces.

I will check back in several months when bored with LoTRO again ;) Cant go back to WoW cause my missus would divorce me yet again :(

Best advice I could ever give anyone in any MMO is Just play the game and never visit the foums of said game unless you have played for quite some time and Know if you like or dislike it before the onslaught of TRIBBLE that the forums spews out. If you like the game then you should be safe, If you dislike it even a little bit then regular forum visits will kill the game completely for you.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Age Of Conan/Warhammer they wish they had 300k people, alas they dont, they might have LESS now than
    what STO has. Besides those games were more expensive to make than STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well i dont trust the numbers of subs some people say.
    I only know if SWTOR will need 1 mio subs, they will die. I cant believe that number also.

From my experience in the last 10 years the market changed totally. Most of the new MMO try to get the funds back with release they invested. The monthly fee and the microtransactions you need is to keep running a team and other costs. Thats why everyone pushed market and a hype. Just look back the last releases, really very few MMO raised the subs after release, the very very most lost after release 50-90 % of their subs in between 1-2 month after release. Thats why they push the products pre release to generate money from the hype. As long people walks in this trap with fun, nothing will change. For my part i can say, i wait now at least 1 Month after release to buy the game, because i dont think all i miss is trouble and a good game will be at market for years, so 1 more month doesnt matter, just need the patience :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tunapiano wrote: »
    you want a game that will make STO hurt and TOR wait to bring there game out until next spring?

Final Fantasy 14 online.....

The Final fantasy series has more followers than any other game....The next installation is already on it's first closed beta and is due out later this year. I see Final fantasy 14 online putting the last nail into the coffin of WoW and making other games difficult to keep membership for awhile.

it has the potential just because of it's name to have a larger amount of subs than WoW ever had and the last WoW addon has already been anounced as the last one they will have for that game.

It will be good for the Asian gamers and American children.

Don't think I have ever met an American adult that played the FF MMO, at least none that played longer than a week.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Soupgoblin wrote: »
    It will be good for the Asian gamers and American children.

Don't think I have ever met an American adult that played the FF MMO, at least none that played longer than a week.

Gotta say I loved FFVII but everything after that was pure BS in my opinion but I'm not a lover of the Asian style games tbh. FFVII was an exception IMHO.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    22 pages and it all boils down to I'm definitely trying TOR.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Eve Online had roughly 200K (a bit less) and generally had in the 20K range signed on at any one time.

They don't seem to be doing too badly.

200k? as was said in the thread earlier EVE has around 300k per server. There is a Western server and an Eastern server. EVE is hovering somewhere between 600k and 700k subs globally.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    22 pages and it all boils down to I'm definitely trying TOR.

Heheheh /Agreed. I really would love to Beta it but I'm not that hopeful. I trust bioware over all other companies regardless if its there first MMO or not. I just know it will not be released until its polished and I know it will ooze quality from the start.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    Now would be a good time to mention that STO has been in development twice before....with two different developers. :rolleyes:

And that by all accounts no one else went after STO, no one else was interested.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This game is dead already.

I mean the 45 day patch used to imply that cardassians would get introduced. My guess is that's at least 6 months away. Romulans? Nah, this game won't exist by the time they get thrown in.

I'm one of the 5200 lifers I guess. One of the dumb ones who didn't immediately get a refund upon release. If you don't know why this game is already dead then you probably also can't understand why a movie like Clash of the Titans sucks TRIBBLE either. Some people get it, others don't. Some people like flashy moving things and are easily appeased, and others can see through the BS and tell what stolen, poorly implemented ideas look like.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Please stop posting this nonsense.

Games with 100K subscribers have and still are surviving and thriving for nearly a decade.

You have no clue how many subscribers are needed or what the finances are or anything of the sort.

These kinds of garbage posts need to be removed from these forums so that good ideas/comments can be read without having to sift through the noise.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ayenn wrote:
    200k? as was said in the thread earlier EVE has around 300k per server. There is a Western server and an Eastern server. EVE is hovering somewhere between 600k and 700k subs globally.

Very true but that was not always the case. EVE for a long time survived and THRIVED with under 300K subscriptions. In fact it thrived so well that it put up an Eastern server and bought a pen and paper gaming company. EVE did not start strong, it was actually small by todays standards. The reason it survived was it was focused and kept a serious budget.

I mean consider 100K subscriptions for a moment from a money point of view. Lets say an average of $8 per month income to average out year and life timers. This is still $800K per month gross, or over 8 million per year for a single title. Lets say a development team of 30 kept on the job, we will average their income to say $30K per year, after all they are likely working other projects as well to earn their pay so all their pay does not apply to STO. That is about 1 million a year or a little less for labor costs. Now factor in the costs for servers and hardware, a lot of which will be maintenance from here on and not as expensive.

No matter how you slice it with 100K subscriptions is is STUPID to believe a game cannot survive.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh, I know the financial history of EVE. It is an incredible little story, actually. CCP and its history is one of the reasons I know STO and Cryptic will be fine. The philosophy of both companies are similar as is their attitude towards their customers and employees.

No matter how you slice it with 100K subscriptions is is STUPID to believe a game cannot survive.

Well, a game like this, anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    lol, this thread I started is really funny...

STO is going to need a lot more than 100K people to keep this game going...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dryan wrote:
    WAR has around 125k subscribers and AoC around 75k. Your figures are way off.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/150k-1m.png

Cryptic develop their games to be profitable at around 100k, which they've stated numerious times. The other games you mention cost way more to develop.

It is also common that the cost of development is recovered with box sales. Subscription numbers usually only affect the size of the continued development team. Given the amount of work Cryptic are putting in on both STO and CO I'd say they are doing fine.

So your chart also states that Ultima Online has the same subscribers as Warhammer online...

As if I am to believe that...

Chart it a fake...
  • Options
    edited April 2010