test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star trek advisory council WTH

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Im not sure if i am agnist this yet but how are four people going to represent the sto as a whole and who voted them in???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    What advisory council?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Apparently, Cryptic has decided that people with websites are better than the rest of their playerbase. They will be influencing the direction STO's story and gameplay takes in the future.

Thread is here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=147393

I'm sure they'd love your feedback on their total lack of respect for players or their total lack of thought behind this.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cost wrote: »
    Apparently, Cryptic has decided that people with websites are better than the rest of their playerbase. They will be influencing the direction STO's story and gameplay takes in the future.

I'm sure they'd love your feedback on their total lack of respect for players or their total lack of thought behind this.

Found it since then because immediately did a search for it. ;)

One thing they accomplished with this though. They found a way to make me more PO'ed than even the Roper news.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I actually thought that things could not get much worse.

Then Cryptic decides to display all my gaming habits to everyone.

THEN they decide to form a council WHICH NO PLAYER VOTED FOR

How can any of these people represent our collective needs and desires IF none of us voted.

THIS is complete rubbish and I have no doubt that Cryptic have no idea what they are doing with regards to making a GOOD game.

It's mistake after mistake after mistake.

What the hell is going on?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Awesome idea. Thumbs up.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i hope this doesnt turn into another SWg sort of player council...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I hope it's like the player councils from SWG.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmmm…when I first heard the news I was mildly enthusiastic. Finally, they take a cue from Eve (something the needed to be doing long before beta).

Then I looked at who comprises this council and recognized it for what it is...bought and paid for positive spin. When your player base is jumping ship, and word of mouth is this bad, there is nothing like bought-off mouthpieces to set the tone of the discussion.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The release said it is "Based on Earth in the Sol System". If this is true and it is an in game area. This could be a good thing. Also, anyone can ask to join the council. Every fleet/house could have rep on the council to organize and send feedback to help Cryptic change and shape this game.

The forums are a small fraction of the player base. There are many more players that never come here. It would be nice to have all voices that want to be heard be represented on the council for Cryptic to use. So instead of the usual bash because I feel excluded. Try to include your feedback or join the council and represent others.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Kind of similar to the way they made it clear that the lifetime subscribers are more important than the monthly subscribers huh.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Flato wrote: »
    Im not if i am agnist this yet but how are four people going to represent the sto as a whole and who voted them in???

So would you be happy if they picked people off the forums?. I checked out the links. They all seem to be avid trekkies. And experts in their areas. If we the forum users want to choose people to represent us. To speak for us then we should do so. But at any time we can withdraw that support. As long as someone views the game in a similar way like I do. I would support them.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Skylan wrote:
    The release said it is "Based on Earth in the Sol System". If this is true and it is an in game area. This could be a good thing. Also, anyone can ask to join the council. Every fleet/house could have rep on the council to organize and send feedback to help Cryptic change and shape this game.

The forums are a small fraction of the player base. There are many more players that never come here. It would be nice to have all voices that want to be heard be represented on the council for Cryptic to use. So instead of the usual bash because I feel excluded. Try to include your feedback or join the council and represent others.

There is no "every fleet". Ivan said that sounds like a good idea but there is nothing like that in place and they hadn't thought of it since the fan did first and Ivan said good idea. And you have to e-mail if you want to join and CRYPTIC decides who is on this council. That's like you e-mail you wanted one guy for President but the Senate says who is President.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "hey, I have this great idea that the official forums have been working on for months."
    "Take it to a committee."
    "Ah, man."
    /sarcasm

I honestly hope this will act as some filter - it must be tough for developers to know what the general vibe of the community (despite all their posting here).
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~ Phoxe
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The STOked team is in the council... i watched a few eps of them...
    to be honest i have complete faith in them not efing things up for us.
    whatever their duty in this Council thingy is about anyway...

But i think this is only a PR gag to generate website hits by people klicking the links in the news...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah, the usual colossal kneejerk reaction. We have exactly no details at the moment of what these guys will be doing, and it is mentioned as being one of many upcoming measures to obtain the opinions of as many different parts of the playerbase as possible.....but nah, lets go with some "this council will decide everything!" conjecture, it's more dramatic. And everyone loves drama.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Brucebleo wrote:
    I actually thought that things could not get much worse.

Then Cryptic decides to display all my gaming habits to everyone.

THEN they decide to form a council WHICH NO PLAYER VOTED FOR

How can any of these people represent our collective needs and desires IF none of us voted.

THIS is complete rubbish and I have no doubt that Cryptic have no idea what they are doing with regards to making a GOOD game.

It's mistake after mistake after mistake.

What the hell is going on?

I agreed wholeheartedly Bruce....sorry I was too lazy to just post it myself.... so I quoted you....

....but you nailed the impression I got right off the bat.

oh well.... here's a little of my input anyway :

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!

• Options
    edited April 2010
    STYXTRIBE wrote:
    So would you be happy if they picked people off the forums?. I checked out the links. They all seem to be avid trekkies. And experts in their areas. If we the forum users want to choose people to represent us. To speak for us then we should do so. But at any time we can withdraw that support. As long as someone views the game in a similar way like I do. I would support them.

I hope you're right, cause this news does not sound good.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anyone noticed 99% of people p[osting on here have life accounts? I bet the other 1% is like me and paid for 1 year. I really wanted STO to be a success but with every move they alienate more and more players. I am at the point I paid for a year and got maybe a month out of it. I havent logged into the game in a couple of weeks now.

So then I come back and see 4 people who run fan sites now make decisions for EVERY player. I mean why not just shut this game down now and be done with it? The last thing we need is 4 "yes" men kissing developer butt all day and saying thats what all players want to do.

What's next? To me now it seems that if I want to have any kind of voice I need to sign up on those websites. Why are we driving the same road as SWG? I mean it was insult enough when they thumbed their noses at yearly subscribers while fawning like groupies over the lifetime members (even tho they only spent $100 more than we did).

Now we have 4 people who get to dictate the game for everyone. I just dont know how any company could possibly have made bad decision after bad decision like this. I really had high hopes now I just feel ripped off and abused. I guess only 4 people and lifetime accounts matter since everyone else has quit already. I know I wouldnt be paying anymore and I kick myself everyday for wasting $120 on a sub fee for this game.

Lesson learned NEVER again will I buy anything associated with Cryptic or people like Jack Emmert etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't think I like where this is heading. Feels like bad vibes man.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Apparently, Cryptic has decided that people with websites are better than the rest of their playerbase.

This thread should have ended right here.

I have nothing against these people they picked but it's laughable joke to suggest that they have anything to do with the rest of us and somehow represent us.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    The STOked team is in the council... i watched a few eps of them...
    to be honest i have complete faith in them not efing things up for us.
    whatever their duty in this Council thingy is about anyway...

But i think this is only a PR gag to generate website hits by people klicking the links in the news...

one of those neckbeard guys's uncle is a Dev, no less- of course they're on the council
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    one of those neckbeard guys's uncle is a Dev, no less- of course they're on the council

REALLY?????

You are kidding me right? This is a joke you are telling me?
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Waaaaaait, what?
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Source please ?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's more of a council of Cheerleaders and "Yes Men," to crush all dissenting thought on wrong directions of development.

I was also hoping it was an April Fool's Joke, but it was put up on the 2nd :(
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Ya, link, right now.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Link please.

If you're right then someone just opened up the gates of Hell.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    either he folded his hand or he is desperately trying to locate said evidence....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Link please.

If you're right then someone just opened up the gates of Hell.

If this is true........lol just lol.......the story will be told forever about the incredible stupidity of the deeds of Cryptic.

This really is too mind numbing..........it can't be true can it really??? lol