test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Give em some praise people

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Am I the only person who seems to think they are doing a good job listening to the community? They fixed the servers the other night after massive outcry and they're expanding the content in the game. You guys are all so negative and need to look at things from the entire point of view.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You missed other threads like this one. Still, ?I'll put my foot in this one to be counted because I DO appreciate what the STO development staff is doing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I appreciate all the work they are doing. I like that they listen and that is why I have put in my own suggestions. Hope it continues.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Im tired of people complaining all the time.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    zerubbabel wrote:
    Im tired of people complaining all the time.

And complaining about complainers helps tremendously, no doubt :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    most reviews say the same thing

good space battles, poor ground, shallow content

except one

the reviewer said he was having a blast and that the game looks like it will expand nicely

that is where i am at
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    zerubbabel wrote:
    Am I the only person who seems to think they are doing a good job listening to the community? They fixed the servers the other night after massive outcry and they're expanding the content in the game. You guys are all so negative and need to look at things from the entire point of view.

I think they are doing a good job. I'm having fun playing and am appreciative to see someone tackle the many armed devil of making a star trek mmo! More people are having fun and playing than are sitting here being forum warriors. I was in the hospital over the last few days and could only access the forums, not the games by sneaking into the nurses station.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Delazure wrote: »

Almost as much as complaining and those complaining about the complainers, Delazure :P

Sorry couldn't resist!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "appreciative to see someone tackle the many armed devil of making a star trek mmo!"

yeah, who would have guessed as a kid watching Kirk that one day you can fly in star trek ship and beam down to planets.

one reviewer stated that hard core trek fans will always be dissapointed because this is a video game and not a series or movie-

i suggest that the best episodes had space battles as a visual highlight /climax (the one with the romulan vs kirkin the original series- and Wrath of khan- the beginning of First Contact and the one The Next Generation episode where a ship comes back in time and the enterprise is now a warship with adead crew member still alive-

at any rste- the game got it right- space battle as the cneter peice- but they ought to scale them back a bit- more rare and longer- again- less may not be more (from the quote "less is more by some art guy and some of them art guys were smart) - but less is sometimes preferable
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    zerubbabel wrote:

Well, the fact that they had to fix the server will always be a reason for people to complain, but I tend to agree - that they reacted fast and got it done is crucial. You cannot avoid errors all the time, but you must be able to recognize them recover from them!

And I also appreciate that they seem to listen and are working on new content. I just hope they don't get too overwhelmed and figure out the justified critique and actual insights about the game and filter out the noise of whining and bile in some posts.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I praise any hard work that goes into a game like this, no one said it was easy doing something on this scale.

But STO is to restrictive, to repetitive, and released way to soon.

Planets are lifeless, PvP has no universe wide meaning or goals, missions are to repetitive, ground quests and warfare are very weak, lack of long term content, no diplomacy, etc.

I know it has only been 2 months, but this is the age of online gaming and companies should know damn well that players feed on content and goals. The last thing any player wants, including lifetime subs, is to be level capped and stuck in a repetitive cycle of boredom.

I will say the game "looks" good and ship combat is fun to a point, but this is not enough for the long haul.

I wish STO the best but I am not holding my breath.

There are tons of other games that fell victim to many of these problems that STO faces, after all these years, you would think a "new" game would learn a lesson or two from those that failed!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Praise and adulations to the Dev team.:)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think they are awesome. This game is probably my favorite mmo ever. Its one that I predict I will be playing for a good long while. Its exciting flying my own starship and fighting klingons. Reminds me of that Starfleet academy game on the super nintendo. They do a good job to boot. :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Delazure wrote: »

Fanbois, proudly killing MMOs since UO :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    zerubbabel wrote:

well said, now go buy stuff on C-store cuz they needz moneyz
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    zerubbabel wrote:

The fact that there are some excellent people doing great work in communicating and getting bug information and working so hard with fixes etc etc does not change the fact that there are faults with the big picture.

Just as the fact that there are obvious let downs with STO does not change the fact that the GM's we encounter ITF on a whole are the salt of the earth.

Cryptic and STO is a multi headed monster just as are we, the playing, paying public.

You can give praise where it is due and criticism where that is due too. That IS looking at the entire point of view.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mirek99 wrote:
    Almost as much as complaining and those complaining about the complainers, Delazure :P

Sorry couldn't resist!

I'll complain about that ;)

BTW, I'm sincerely appreciative of all that the STO Dev team has been doing.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What I expect out of STO:

1) A Star Trek game where I can make my own characters and command my own starships
    2) Additional content to be created/released over time

What I don't expect out of STO:

1) Perfection
    2) The Spanish Inquisition

I'd say they're doing pretty well so far.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What I expect out of STO:

1) A Star Trek game where I can make my own characters and command my own starships
    2) Additional content to be created/released over time

What I don't expect out of STO:

1) Perfection
    2) The Spanish Inquisition

I'd say they're doing pretty well so far.

I fixed your post. The huge area in between is the area between your extremes. That is the area that a lot of people fall into in as far as what they expect.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    zerubbabel wrote:

If they hadn't they would have been incompetent. We are giving praise for NOT being incompetent now? Seriously? They fixed their only server, the one they broke. The only one they have, the only means by which their product is even functional.

Remind me to give the folks at McDonald's praise for coming into work today...
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Phaedryn, a reminder, there was some people you had to thank today.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Give them praise? For what? Polishing a TRIBBLE? It is still a TRIBBLE. They need to first remove the TRIBBLE, clean the mess, and put something in its place. Then we'll congratulate them.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Give them praise? For what? Polishing a TRIBBLE? It is still a TRIBBLE. They need to first remove the TRIBBLE, clean the mess, and put something in its place. Then we'll congratulate them.

I don't think my face has ever shown so many different expressions when reading a 2 line analogy.
    :eek::mad::rolleyes::o (it would only let me do 4 )
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anuhart wrote:
    Phaedryn, a reminder, there was some people you had to thank today.

Point is, you don't praise people for exerting the expected level of effort on something. That is the baseline. You praise people for doing MORE than expected.

Fixing a broken server for an MMO, especially one that has ONLY one server, is *expected*, even required.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Phaedryn wrote: »
    Point is, you don't praise people for exerting the expected level of effort on something. That is the baseline. You praise people for doing MORE than expected.

Fixing a broken server for an MMO, especially one that has ONLY one server, is *expected*, even required.

This reminds me of Chris rock. "I hate people that want praise for something they're suppose to do. Like, "I aint never been to jail!" "I take care of my kids!" You're suppose to you dumb MF'er."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Phaedryn wrote: »

Mmmmm, I disagree, I praise people for working damned hard for putting things right, because things went wrong which may or may not have had to do with them in particular. Probably not. I don't praise the people who broke it but I do praise the people who mended it. Fact they are all under the same roof is irrelevant to me.

I think the main point is though that you can praise people for the good things and still state your feelings about the bad things. Not everyone falls fully over a line, take everything on it's individuality.

The OP was stating that people were wrong to point out problems when he thought some things needed praise, the two are not the same thing.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This reminds me of Chris rock. "I hate people that want praise for something they're suppose to do. Like, "I aint never been to jail!" "I take care of my kids!" You're suppose to you dumb MF'er."

Exactly my point.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I gave them praise......an easy game l;aunch with minimal errors....it was all down hill from there in my opinion.

The devs and community personnel are doing the best they can (I hope). Making more content and keeping a seething (part of it) comminuty cool calm and collected with updates and signs of life with this MMO.

They have dropped the ball on this game, whoever that is, obviously........look at the lack of content and the haphazzard implementation of a ground combat system not originally planned in this game.

Of 11 friends I have who play the game.....9 have quit citing a definitive lack of content and "fun atmosphere" that other mmo's have given then. I have 1 friend who is waiting and giving it a chance......the last guy well he never plays anyways......All are lifers......we played intensively together for 2 weeks after and befor launch made admiral cap on 2 toons each. There is nothing left to do...all blue/purple ships and gear and 7-15 million creds.....LOL they have all resorted to NOT allwoing me to choose the next MMO!!!

I am hoping that they release a ton of content but sadly.....we will gun through it too as it is not nearly enough content inbetween updates and patches to keep us entertained.

The most often claimed response I get is.....even with other MMO's (eq2 eq1 vanguard) we had content for months and so much player variety Diplomacy (Vanguard) crafting (eq1-2, vanguard) and pure exploration that someone really screwed up in this game.....I do admit I sometimes loathe Vanguard for its early bugs but it was still a WOW game (not the MMO)

Eq2 as of late has become repetitive though but for years they had the right recipe.

In closing, I guess what I am saying is that the game is missing something other sucessful games have had....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm happy with the direction of the game. I've been around MMORPGs long enough to know this is a lot of positive change happening extremely fast by most MMORPG standards. The level of open dev communication is absolutely unheard of in most games and gaming companies.

I'll join in the thanks to the devs and cryptic employees. :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My experience with Cryptic is that they will always do the right thing. They will address the players issues...that is how they operate. I think this game will expand out from the basic form it is in now. Cryptic has always done a great job of continually adding content, and not simply filler content but entirely new gameplay each and every time.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    garravesh wrote: »
    I gave them praise......an easy game l;aunch with minimal errors....it was all down hill from there in my opinion.

The devs and community personnel are doing the best they can (I hope). Making more content and keeping a seething (part of it) comminuty cool calm and collected with updates and signs of life with this MMO.

They have dropped the ball on this game, whoever that is, obviously........look at the lack of content and the haphazzard implementation of a ground combat system not originally planned in this game.

Of 11 friends I have who play the game.....9 have quit citing a definitive lack of content and "fun atmosphere" that other mmo's have given then. I have 1 friend who is waiting and giving it a chance......the last guy well he never plays anyways......All are lifers......we played intensively together for 2 weeks after and befor launch made admiral cap on 2 toons each. There is nothing left to do...all blue/purple ships and gear and 7-15 million creds.....LOL they have all resorted to NOT allwoing me to choose the next MMO!!!

I am hoping that they release a ton of content but sadly.....we will gun through it too as it is not nearly enough content inbetween updates and patches to keep us entertained.

The most often claimed response I get is.....even with other MMO's (eq2 eq1 vanguard) we had content for months and so much player variety Diplomacy (Vanguard) crafting (eq1-2, vanguard) and pure exploration that someone really screwed up in this game.....I do admit I sometimes loathe Vanguard for its early bugs but it was still a WOW game (not the MMO)

Eq2 as of late has become repetitive though but for years they had the right recipe.

In closing, I guess what I am saying is that the game is missing something other sucessful games have had....

QFT,

However, because you opened with
    I gave them praise
    FANBOI

And because you closed with
    I guess what I am saying is that the game is missing something
    HATER

/end sarcasm (but truth)

It is such a shame you will be placed by each opposing class of player, in their opposites corner.

I for one know you are neither.