What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (March 29, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Being that the server goes down the same time each downtime, I agree with the "just post GMT" thingy. We pacific coasters who play at this hour know it's at 3:00 a.m. each night, we don't need to be reminded each time.

If the time shifts to a different hour, then a "MAINT. SCHEDULE CHANGE: We're shutting Holodeck down at 5pm PDT (1am GMT) today for emergency maintenance." or something is fine, but if it's a patch or scheduled jazz, we already know.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Monday, March 29th from 3 am PDT to 4 am PDT (10 am to 11 am GMT), in order to perform maintenance. We will update this thread when we have more information.

OK, so in using World Clock I got the PDT in there, and I have GMT 7 hours ahead. I think I have the time zones covered here ... right?

Awww InigoFyre, I smiled when I saw your PDT then laughed when I saw GMT

At launch you would be PST X and GMT X+8 , 3am PST 11am GMT
    Then PST turned to PDT, so it was PDT X and GMT X+7, 3 am PDT and 10am GMT
    Then this weekend GMT turned to BST so it is PDT X and BST X+8, 3am PDT and 11 am BST

You are great with that for the next 5 months.

You really should look into how a lot of other game companies notify of maintenance.

It is possible to put your local time as a link, it shows your time but anyone can click it and select their country.
    I can't direct you to it but it is out there and free. No more converting for you, no more wrong info and no more upset Aussies, Germans or Azzerbeigeinianonianismists.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    meh. Most of us are used to it. The only MMO that's ever catered to Australians equally (and it's still running btw) is Ultima Online. It has a server that i pinged 26ms to and was/is the only game i've ever felt treated as a truely EQUAL customer.

You don't Ping 26, you Pi 26
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My suggestion is to post in GMT, then put a link in your sig for a Time Converter.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just use BMT so nobody knows what you are talking about.

Posted @459
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anuhart wrote:
    You don't Ping 26, you Pi 26

I thought you Pi 3.14159265?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok I got it Please look into this address http://www.worldtimeserver.com/
    THIS IS THE SITE I HAVE BEEN HINTING AT FOR WEEKS WITHOUT ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR IT MYSELF. USE IT FOR THE BETTER OF YOU AND ALL OF US . Thanks :)

Below is an extract from the site.

3. WORLDTIMESERVER has the best world time converter. Pick the one exact place and exact time your event will occur and we'll give you a link to email or post on your website. Everyone who follows the link gets to pick their home location to compare their time directly with yours. No big list of world cities to distract anyone, no math required. And if you aren't sure of the best time to hold your next event or meeting, try our cool Meeting Planner.

I did your example.

3 am PDT http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_US-CA.aspx?y=2010&mo=3&d=29&h=3&mn=0

5 am PDT http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_US-CA.aspx?y=2010&mo=3&d=29&h=5&mn=0

You can of course edit those links to just look like 3 am PST (PDT) and 5am
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yeah but that's Pi pronounced Pie this is Pi pronounced errrr .....Pi..... Meh!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    use GMT ! Its been used successfully since 1847
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dicard wrote:
    use GMT ! Its been used successfully since 1847

Apparently it has too many moving parts for some people though. :)

I was also not serious, nobody uses Swatch internet time.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anuhart wrote:
    Yeah but that's Pi pronounced Pie this is Pi pronounced errrr .....Pi..... Meh!

Wait Pi not Pie, not Py, but Pi?

*head explodes*
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Monday, March 29th from 3 am PDT to 4 am PDT (10 am to 11 am GMT), in order to perform maintenance. We will update this thread when we have more information.

OK, so in using World Clock I got the PDT in there, and I have GMT 7 hours ahead. I think I have the time zones covered here ... right?

Just post as Arizona time...since we are the only ones smart enough to NOT have day light savings...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You know, this is why I want to just put my time and let the rest of you mooks convert on your own.

but NOOOO they are all like "its not fair for the rest of our player base."
    And I'm like "Oh yeah, well how about I eat you right where you stand?"
    And they are like "I'm talking to you on through a video screen like in Saw, you can't eat me."

and then one tear slowly rolls down my cheek. :(

feel free to sen me a pm when your gonna post the time up for maintenance mate, i will do the conversion for ya, just tell me your time zone.. will post up a countdown too for ETA time too.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TH3xR34P3R wrote: »
    feel free to sen me a pm when your gonna post the time up for maintenance mate, i will do the conversion for ya, just tell me your time zone.. will post up a countdown too for ETA time too.

If that was the case he could just tell you it's happening in x hours...and then you could say "hey, it's y now, so it will be at (y+x)...yahhhhh!"
  • Options
    edited March 2010

you missed UTC + 9.30,
    But does this mean we might be able to play our broken toons in the near future
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You know, this is why I want to just put my time and let the rest of you mooks convert on your own.

Well just write PST (GMT-7:00). That is always correct. And everybody has to take care to convert it to her/his own time zone.

If you want to take care of all the more or less silly time zone specialities of all the nations... you may get into a dragon rage and eat the entire planet ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The fact that we're still discussing this is boggling
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I did use worldclock like everyone suggest, and it gave me PDT+7 for GMT :(

Ok, now that we are finally in maintenance I can give you a bit of a break down in what is going to happen to everyone who has been deleveled.

We are simply reversing your negative skill points. So the RA5 people who lost -60700 skill points and were RA-39 will get their skill points back and be RA5 again.

Anyone who was not at the max level when the bug hit has the potential to have more skill points when this is over. The reason for this is because we are adding the a positive amount equal to the negative skill points you lost, so effectively you are keeping any of the progress you made if you decided to continue to play while deleveled.

Another side effect of this reversal will be the game completing the bridge officer missions again (you know the ones there were "congratulations a new BO wants to join your crew). This will not actually give you another bridge officer, but you will have to clear the empty mission out of your log.

I think that covers it. Once the servers go back up if there is anything fishy with your characters make sure you report it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well just write PST (GMT-7:00). That is always correct. And everybody has to take care to convert it to her/his own time zone.

If you want to take care of all the more or less silly time zone specialities of all the nations... you may get into a dragon rage and eat the entire planet ;)

Shouldn't have to, the downtime is relatively consistent and posting the time as PST (GMT -7) is universal, has been for quite a long time. I live in GMT -5 and have never had a problem doing the math except for getting used to daylight savings and back for a short time during the change. same thing that happens once a year with the dates.

The time converter was correct but it displayed the information in reverse. You are at GMT -7 and GMT is PST +7, have to work from GMT always to remove confusion is all.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Use GMT. The US doesn't have a single timezone so you can't even get it correct merely for the US, let alone anywhere else.

And we don't even have to get nationalistic about it; it was the United States that called for the international conference that ended up placing the prime meridian where it is. And only the Dominican Republic actually voted against it being put where it is.

So HA.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If that was the case he could just tell you it's happening in x hours...and then you could say "hey, it's y now, so it will be at (y+x)...yahhhhh!"

lol just thought i help make things easier for ya'll :p

if guys have firefox get foxclocks and have US east, central and pacific times with UTC/GMT and local if you want
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Nope. You can't write π in any finite way in any number system. It's not a rational number.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I did use worldclock like everyone suggest, and it gave me PDT+7 for GMT :(

Ok, now that we are finally in maintenance I can give you a bit of a break down in what is going to happen to everyone who has been deleveled.

We are simply reversing your negative skill points. So the RA5 people who lost -60700 skill points and were RA-39 will get their skill points back and be RA5 again.

Anyone who was not at the max level when the bug hit has the potential to have more skill points when this is over. The reason for this is because we are adding the a positive amount equal to the negative skill points you lost, so effectively you are keeping any of the progress you made if you decided to continue to play while deleveled.

Another side effect of this reversal will be the game completing the bridge officer missions again (you know the ones there were "congratulations a new BO wants to join your crew). This will not actually give you another bridge officer, but you will have to clear the empty mission out of your log.

I think that covers it. Once the servers go back up if there is anything fishy with your characters make sure you report it.

Fair 'nuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    /sigh

People there is no need to use any standard.

Edit ohhh shoot me.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=2469665&postcount=38
  • Options
    edited March 2010

A countdown clock would be AMAZING.

What would be even more amazing is if I could get it to play The Final Countdown in the last 4 minutes or so.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What would be even more amazing is if I could get it to play The Final Countdown in the last 4 minutes or so.

i use timeanddate for countdowns http://timeanddate.com/counters/customcount.html

EDIT: i will try either find one that can play the song, the first that comes to mind is the alarm clock of justice, but thats a desktop app
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That would be awesome, I haven't heard that song in about 20 years. Should have it fade into Boston's Cool the Engines.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    lol just thought i help make things easier for ya'll :p

if guys have firefox get foxclocks and have US east, central and pacific times with UTC/GMT and local if you want

So it's not just me that has foxclocks add-on, nice, I don't need to suggest it now after reading 6 pages of posts :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Linyx wrote:
    10:36am (GMT) and servers not down yet. Don't you mean 11:00am - 12:00pm (GMT) :D

GMT has _NOT_ changed - we Brits are now on BST (GMT+1), so no he means 1000(GMT).

Posting the times in GMT and PDT means everyone can do the simple maths conversion... in theory at least.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Once again thank you for bringing down the servers prime time in Australia...

At this point i'd love to swear about how inconvenient this is and how annoying it is that I've finally got the kids asleep and the wife is reading so finally _Finally_ get some time to play and the blasted server is down...

Next time why not try taking it down at 3am Australian time?

oh wait, that would inconvenience americans... we can't be having that, can we...
This discussion has been closed.