Install Arc
Options

Massive decrease in goldspam

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    you should reread your posts you are in a tizzy because i dared to call a dev out and that bothers the heck out of you. Like i said tizzy fits are childish.

I can assure you I am not in a "tizzy". You didn't "call a dev out", you made a foolish demand and called the Dev a liar with your tantrum followed by a veiled threat if you didn't get your way - don't make it sound like you did anything any child wouldn't do after not getting something they wanted. You aren't coming off quite gallantly as I think you see yourself mate.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TUX426 wrote: »
    I can assure you I am not in a "tizzy". You didn't "call a dev out", you made a foolish demand and called the Dev a liar with your tantrum followed by a veiled threat if you didn't get your way - don't make it sound like you did anything any child wouldn't do after not getting something they wanted. You aren't coming off quite gallantly as I think you see yourself mate.

Talking to you is pointless and a waste of forum space. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal opinion and every post after the opinion becomes circular logic that can never be answered or refuted. But if it makes you happy to play hall monitor please feel free to do so.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I look at it more this way. Gold Spammers have been reduced by the efforts of Cryptic, and they will try different avenues to reach their customers.

Cryptic will work on various methods to keep them from advertising on the game.

Account numbers go up and down all the time, it is based on finances, time constraints, obligations, and sometimes game design or customer over expectations.

One thing is for sure, STO is fun and all of us here, enjoy it or you wouldn't be reading this.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Talking to you is pointless and a waste of forum space. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal opinion and every post after the opinion becomes circular logic that can never be answered or refuted. But if it makes you happy to play hall monitor please feel free to do so.

Ok fella, don't get in a tizzy :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tribbler wrote: »
    I look at it more this way. Gold Spammers have been reduced by the efforts of Cryptic, and they will try different avenues to reach their customers.

Cryptic will work on various methods to keep them from advertising on the game.

Account numbers go up and down all the time, it is based on finances, time constraints, obligations, and sometimes game design or customer over expectations.

One thing is for sure, STO is fun and all of us here, enjoy it or you wouldn't be reading this.

I hope you didn't quote me thinking I disagreed with you...?!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Diamonds wrote: »
    Being on the inside I know the exact date and time our anti-gold spammer features get rolled out. Since the latest release I haven't gotten a single in-game spam email, where as I used to average 1 or 2 a day. It's been about two weeks since that update so yes, our efforts are defiantly working, which is awesome to see.

How ever you are doing it, keep it up. I too have not received any spam this past 2-3 days. I also suspect that all of our report spam was somehow able to get through.

Off topic comment: I noticed more stability with the servers. Again, whatever you guys did, keep it up.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MightionNY wrote: »
    I've played EQ, EQ2, CoH/CoV, SW:G, and now WoW and ST:O, and no matter how bad things got, I don't recall any of those companies ever giving out subscriber numbers EXCEPT when positive milestones were reached. Never when someone on their forums "Demanded" them.

SWG (SOE) gave out subscription numbers until their game started plummeting. EQ and EQ2 were made by the same company so they did the same. COH/COV was made by Cryptic. World of Warcraft flaunts their sub numbers constantly. EVE just recenlty announced 500K . If the game is succeeding, the company will flaunt them. If the game is not doing well, then the company will hide them. I suspect STO to be the latter. Until Cryptic releases subscription numbers, people are going to go by what they see in game( friends list dropping, Fleets getting smaller) and word of mouth, which based on the reviews hasn't been good. The butt kissers can dance around these facts all they want( I remember similiar stunts when the NGE hit), but they can't hide the fact that this game has been a huge dissapointment.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BTW, we gave more people the ability to silence in game so that we could eliminate the gold spammers. I personally silenced several this weekend.

So that's had an effect, too.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is there any way you could, maybe, put all the gold spammers into a special shard by themselves where the only people that can see what they spam is themselves? That way you'll have the gold spammers spamming the gold spammers all day long. Who knows, maybe they'd get into fights about who's spam fu is strongest and then ya'll could sell seats to the bloodshed! <LOL>
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ktanner3 wrote: »
    SWG (SOE) gave out subscription numbers until their game started plummeting. EQ and EQ2 were made by the same company so they did the same. COH/COV was made by Cryptic. World of Warcraft flaunts their sub numbers constantly. EVE just recenlty announced 500K . If the game is succeeding, the company will flaunt them. If the game is not doing well, then the company will hide them. I suspect STO to be the latter. Until Cryptic releases subscription numbers, people are going to go by what they see in game( friends list dropping, Fleets getting smaller) and word of mouth, which based on the reviews hasn't been good. The butt kissers can dance around these facts all they want( I remember similiar stunts when the NGE hit), but they can't hide the fact that this game has been a huge dissapointment.

I think that last statement pretty much says it all... This game has been a huge disappointment to some and they simply can't get over it. There's really only two logical, mature responses to the disappointment:

1. Cancel and leave quietly. Maybe leave a polite, civil note at the door explaining to Cryptic why you're leaving.
    2. Engage in constructive, meaningful dialog that contributes to the community of ideas that will make this game better.

I don't see what subscription numbers have to do with either of those. In fact, if you look at the Accuracy List for various MMOs on mmodata.net, you'll see that there's no correlation between the accuracy of the data available and the quality or health of the game. I mean, what can you say about a game like EVE Online that "only" has 500K subscribers compared to WoW's 11 MILLION? Absolutely nothing except that it's clearly not everyone's cup of tea. It's certainly not a reflection on the developers or the quality of their code. I mean, think about Farmville for crying out loud -- EIGHTY (80) MILLION!!! THAT'S NOT EVEN A REAL GAME!!! (well, maybe by pure mathematical definition it is...but not by my subjective definition)

Oh yeah, here's a painful little factoid -- despite the nearly universal, unanimous condemnation from the gaming community, SWG STILL has active players!!! So. What? Are these people dupes who are too ignorant to know an obviously bad game? Evil loyalists of the SoE regime? They've got to be paying members, otherwise SoE wouldn't keep the service running.

Subscriber counts are meaningless to me as a player. What matters is what the developers DO between now and when the next major threat to my attention comes along -- whether that be another game or some change in my personal life. In the meanwhile, I will enjoy the game despite its flaws. I'm grateful for the efforts the developers put in not just to make the game better, but specifically to address the spam problem. It's been a full week now since the last piece of spam in my inbox. Win!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jackalope wrote: »
    BTW, we gave more people the ability to silence in game so that we could eliminate the gold spammers. I personally silenced several this weekend.

So that's had an effect, too.

Ahhhhh so that is why people have been complaining that they have been silenced inappropriately recently.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Brucebleo wrote:
    Ahhhhh so that is why people have been complaining that they have been silenced inappropriately recently.

But they probably haven't been silenced "inappropriately" - so this makes me happy.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Massive decrease in subscriptions will always lead to massive decrease in gold spam, and spam in general.
    Its like rats....when you see them abandoning the ship you know its going down.

Wonder if the Captain will stick around till she does.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    kamui wrote: »
    Is there any way you could, maybe, put all the gold spammers into a special shard by themselves where the only people that can see what they spam is themselves? That way you'll have the gold spammers spamming the gold spammers all day long. Who knows, maybe they'd get into fights about who's spam fu is strongest and then ya'll could sell seats to the bloodshed! <LOL>

that would be hilarious to see LOL

i bet Jackalope had fun over the weekend:D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    But they probably haven't been silenced "inappropriately" - so this makes me happy.

Silenced with zone chat off and while I was offline for 24-36 hours... logged in to see that I had 14 hours before I could chat with my fleet. not seeing how that's appropriate silencing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Arclight55 wrote: »
    Massive decrease in subscriptions will always lead to massive decrease in gold spam, and spam in general.
    Its like rats....when you see them abandoning the ship you know its going down.

Wonder if the Captain will stick around till she does.

Eve online had a massive decrease in goldspam a few years ago (by implementing new rules) after that they also broke their 30k people logged in to the same server at once record, which is quite an achievement.

Why are people so quick to call "doomsday omg!"?
    Do people genuinely want the game to fail?
    If you don't want to play then there is a door you can walk out of, there is no need to make a fuzz out of you leaving or disliking the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Rehpic wrote:
    You can say that all you want, but it won't make it true. The fact is that the spam rate plummeted the moment we fixed the loophole in our auto-silencing code that the spammers were using to get around it. It no longer became worthwhile for the spammers to run through the tutorial to get to earth spacedock, because they would get auto-banned due to player spam reporting on the first or second line of gold spam they put in zone chat.

But the spammers haven't given up! You can still see them at the start of the tutorial. They have the default character appearance, and are often seen doing the scanning effect every few seconds. What they are doing is spamming out emails. However their script doesn't know when they have been silenced, so they will continue trying spam for hours and hours with zero effect, since their messages are not being sent. Eventually a GM will processes the ticked and ban their account permanently, but in the mean time they are not really bothering anyone.

Thats Great to hear !

It really got on my nerves.... only problem is that Gold spammers are like the Borg... They will adapt... but for the mean time sounds like we get some peace and quite for once !
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I hope you didn't quote me thinking I disagreed with you...?!

As a matter of fact, I was quoting you because I agreed with you....believe it or not ripley. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Silenced with zone chat off and while I was offline for 24-36 hours... logged in to see that I had 14 hours before I could chat with my fleet. not seeing how that's appropriate silencing.

yep - thats your side of the story.... :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Brucebleo wrote:
    As someone pointed out earlier, Atari are a public company and would be SLATED if they replied with random numbers.

Fair enough but whose actually going to be checking anything they dont need to make these figures public and as i said they could just post a bunch of numbers so this threads a bit pointless i like less spam i dont care how they did fact is the spam is now at an acceptable level were as before it was off the chart so good job cryptic im even getting less ingame mails about it.