test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Death Penalty = Visual Damage (Screenshots Included - Please Read)

124»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This ideas not bad. :D

Like the ones where your BO gets killed or captured
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Good idea, I really like it its creative and makes sence

/signed
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Posts like this I approve of. Rather than the whining and complaining I've seen players do, this adds some constructive criticism.

@ the OP: I'm sure you're aware that Cryptic is adding a Death Penalty in the future, but they haven't said what the DP would entail or how it is implemented, and how, if any, damage is repaired.

I like your idea. In fact, I had the same idea myself, but you beat me to the punch. I would like the OP's feedback on this idea. It may or may not work with yours.

Adding Durability Points to ship systems (phaser, torpedoes, consoles, shields, engines, etc). These durability points would decrease with damage taken by the ship, and would be dependent on whether the damage taken is absorbed by the shields, or impacts directly on the hull.

When the number of available durability points reachs 30% of maximum (say 72/240), you get an icon display showing you which system is at 30% durability. Once the durability points reach 0 out of maximum, the system goes red, and becomes inoperable.

To tie this into your system, if people choose not to repair their visible hull damage, they would at least have the option of repairing their ship systems. Personally I think this brings another lvl of believability to the game, as we've seen in Trek shows and films that phasers can be depleted, torpedoes expended, shield generators damaged, Consoles damaged or destroyed. What does the OP of the thread think?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LordTareq wrote: »
    Excellent idea!

/signed

also agree very excellent idea
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I agree. creative. makes sense. pure awesome. sign me up man. excellent work.

/sign
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm all for a DP, they just need to make sure that if and when they do it that they need to make more ways to get money to repair said damages, also that since these damages would impair your ability to defend your self that they respawn you in a place where you wont be getting attacked right away like it is now. I wondered into an area I shouldn't have been yet and keep respawning next to an enemy that kept killing me over and over again.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    slarus wrote: »
    You do realize you can buy things with both badges and energy credits, yes its not realistic but I am questioning the NEED to just add more, YOU may not spend these things but I switch out skills, I buy equipment and supplies for my ship and ground troops cause I don't get what I like to use in drops alone.

How you are playing is not my concern I am doing my part and don't need a tedious added money sink.

there are folks with 50million credits floating about and you are worried about spending some EC on fixing grafix repairs?

You buy equipment and supplies for your ground troops like what? weapons from the exchange? you can outfit your troops with explore items which are far better.

You can only buy items from the exchange and anything you can buy from merchants are white items and all cost under 25k which is for a kit.

If you have 10 BO the max and buy 10 guns and 10 shields and 10 sets of white armor thats 200k max

So who are you trying to fool?
    Your arguement holds little weight
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    With this idea there is nothing to stop players from running around fully damaged since it has no penalty associated with it.

So

They could corelate the hull grafix damage with a bonus they use in Champions online

They use a 6 star system there each one gives you 1.5% to heals and damage which are earned by fighting and or going to a city and donating a trivial amount to a npc to fix your stars

So if they incorperate these 2 ideas

Call the STO bonus Crew Morale lets call the stars Pips and add 1%(1.5%) to damage and shields per pip max is 5 pips

Say if you kill 10 foes and then you get 1 pip which is 1% bonus (Champions online was 1.5%)
    If you kill 50 foes then the bonus is 5 pips or 5% (7.5%)
    Each death you would lose 2 pips and have a reduced maximum

If you use the Op idea and have 5 levels of visable hull damage each time you die then your max possible bonus is now 1 pip less /each death

So if you have died once and then kill 40 foes you can get a 4 pip max bonus
    If 2 deaths then you only need to kill 30 to get 3pip max bonus
    3 deaths = 2pip max with 20 kills
    4 deaths = 1pip max with 10 kills
    5 deaths = no possible bonus unless repaired at a starbase

Your Crew doesnt like to fly about in a leaky ship with holes in the hull and damaged systems thus they get a morale bonus for winning fights but still have issues with ships battle damage.(holodeck offline food replicators broken, turbo lift stuck etc)

To make this work better than Champions which really it is trival if you die there DON'T allow players to repair thier morale bonus by paying EC to fix it make them have to earn the Morale bonus

The hull damage can be repaired at a starbase by talking to a ship npc but not morale that has to be earned.

The cost to repair could be based on ranks as well each level of damage costs so much per /death per /level

150ec/death for levels 1 to 10 = 150ec for 1 death, 750ec cost to repair hull after 5 deaths
    250 for 11 to 20 = 1250 for 5 deaths
    400 for 21 to 30 = 2000 for 5 deaths
    700 for 31 to 40 = 3500 for 5 deaths
    1500 for 41 plus = 7500 for 5 deaths

Note prices could be more or less this just an example
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is a great idea!!

/signed
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is on of the few DP Ideas I've seen which is actually cool :D I know I can't stand havin' my ride all banged up hehehe

You'd probably make enough from drops to cover the cost most of the time (so there's an in/out) or as suggested repair over time - but the concept itself is cool :D

Its also one of the few DP threads I've seen where almost all agree on it - Devs should be looking hard at this...

/signed :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NSTO wrote:
    there are folks with 50million credits floating about and you are worried about spending some EC on fixing grafix repairs?

You buy equipment and supplies for your ground troops like what? weapons from the exchange? you can outfit your troops with explore items which are far better.

You can only buy items from the exchange and anything you can buy from merchants are white items and all cost under 25k which is for a kit.

If you have 10 BO the max and buy 10 guns and 10 shields and 10 sets of white armor thats 200k max

So who are you trying to fool?
    Your arguement holds little weight

Really, funny how I spent over 500k, 200 merits, 300 exploration badges just for MK VIII gear and only had about 200k left.

The fact there are money hunters that don't spend is not the problem, find out what money the casual more numerous players have.
    Yeah, that's what I said.

Death Tax would entirely fix the economy.

Yeah I said that.

Sure it will, keep dreaming. Truth is unless it is a tax and not a penalty it won't move money for TRIBBLE and you know it. The other truth is sinking money in a tax or penalty won't change the economy signifigantly either.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    slarus wrote: »
    Really, funny how I spent over 500k, 200 merits, 300 exploration badges just for MK VIII gear and only had about 200k left.

500k on white items from npc merchants Not possible.
    If you spent that at the exchange then it doesnt count.
    if you get a new ship you can replicate all of its weapons which is almost the value of that ship.
    Merits dont buy gear are you refering to pvp?
    300exploration badges thats it?
    I had spend over 1k at that level

The fact there are money hunters that don't spend is not the problem, find out what money the casual more numerous players have.

Get a white weapon mk 9 = 4k value get any engine =17k, go do 1 pvp mission get 18k doone explore mission and buy a console and sell it for 100k

Energy credits are very easy to get

Stop trying to make it seem like they are.

Cheers....
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    500k on white items from npc merchants Not possible.
    If you spent that at the exchange then it doesnt count.
    if you get a new ship you can replicate all of its weapons which is almost the value of that ship.
    Merits dont buy gear are you refering to pvp?
    300exploration badges thats it?
    I had spend over 1k at that level

Get a white weapon mk 9 = 4k value get any engine =17k, go do 1 pvp mission get 18k doone explore mission and buy a console and sell it for 100k

Energy credits are very easy to get

Stop trying to make it seem like they are.

Well if your only talking about merchant bought items, then a docking fee for everyone in the game is the solution. If credits are so simple to get by all players a simple small fee for repairing visual damage won't have an impact. To address what you raise, you should be advocating my slidng scale docking fee.

10% Admiral
    6% Captain
    4% Commander
    2% LT Commander
    0% LT

Each time you dock, and its higher at the top because especially at Admiral all you do is grind cash.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am all for this. I actually posted something similar to this in the Death Penalty Poll thread, where I recommended a battle damage system similar to Klingon Academy, where as you take more system damage, the less likely they will repair back to 100%. Plus the ship will retain a certain amount of visual damage, be it missing sections of the hull or damaged engine nacelles. Captains will then have the option to continue on in a weakend state, or go to a starbase for repairs. Do I pay a little to repair the battle damage, or risk paying more if I am destroyed in battle. I just did not have the cool pics.

Paying for repairs to me is not a big deal, every space game that I have played from Privateer to SWG required that you paid some credits for repairs. Going into harms way is going to have a cost. As long as the repair cost is not excessive and fair based on tier level, I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NCC1701C wrote: »
    I am all for this. I actually posted something similar to this in the Death Penalty Poll thread, where I recommended a battle damage system similar to Klingon Academy, where as you take more system damage, the less likely they will repair back to 100%. Plus the ship will retain a certain amount of visual damage, be it missing sections of the hull or damaged engine nacelles. Captains will then have the option to continue on in a weakend state, or go to a starbase for repairs. Do I pay a little to repair the battle damage, or risk paying more if I am destroyed in battle. I just did not have the cool pics.

Paying for repairs to me is not a big deal, every space game that I have played from Privateer to SWG required that you paid some credits for repairs. Going into harms way is going to have a cost. As long as the repair cost is not excessive and fair based on tier level, I'm cool with it.

So what number is that? When does it go from fair and balanced to a frustrating annoyance? Because every Space game had it, is not a selling point, unless your selling the lazy way to try and solve problems.

I for the record like the visual damage, I just don't see a justification to paying for it. I'd even have a degrading no matter if you are destroyed or not, meaning the more combat you do between docking periods the more beat up your ship gets, but there just is not a justification for making people pay for it, it won't solve a single issue by charging, unless you charge alot and then you get into frustrating the players so why have it?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Slarus, I knew you would respond. I was surprised you did not counter me on my battle damage idea in the death penalty poll thread as we have gone back and forth on this many times now. Although I have come to agree with you on the time sink DP's or loosing crew members, I do not see the big deal in paying for repairs. Look at it this way, it is the cost of doing business in that dangerous place called space.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Slarus, I knew you would respond. I was surprised you did not counter me on my battle damage idea in the death penalty poll thread as we have gone back and forth on this many times now. Although I have come to agree with you on the time sink DP's or loosing crew members, I do not see the big deal in paying for repairs. Look at it this way, it is the cost of doing business in that dangerous place called space.

You do not like time-sinks but you think a money-sink is good?

What do you use to get the money for repairs? Time. ;)

A money-sink is an alternate form of a time-sink.

:)
  • Options
    edited March 2010

No in truth it is doubtful it will have much impact, as I said there is a line between impacting and not. I just ask the logical question, if its no big deal then what is the point? I feel IF there must be a penalty the best one that is not a huge time sink, effects everyone equally is the encounter reset, most encounters last maybe 2 mins, while a time sink it doesn't waste time, it is a simple do over.

I do like this battle damage idea too, and say that alot, I just question the cost component. If it is meant to save the economy, it fails. It won't cause players to sink enough credits to matter and if its too expensive it will frustrate players. If it is meant to teach you how to play, we go back to the unprovable concept of DPs teaching. If it meant to enforce a feeling, again its unprovable and this is a game not a real life simulator.