test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic, can we have 11 Ranks instead of 6 please?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Alecto wrote: »
    P.S. The three Titles below are suggestions to add to the C-Store, either for Free, much like the Titles Ambassador and Special Envoy or for a Price.

Emissary (Honorary Title and not a Rank)

Fleet Captain (Honorary Title and not a Rank)

Deputy Director (Officer Position / Title, used in Starfleet Intelligence / Section 31 and not a Rank)

Can anyone else offer any suggestions for titles that you would like to see added to the C-Store?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really like the idea, but there isn't nearly enough content to make this happen. Something like this would take years to successfully accomplish.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bitaku wrote: »
    I really like the idea, but there isn't nearly enough content to make this happen. Something like this would take years to successfully accomplish.

Thank you for your support and your feedback, there is a responce from the Star Trek Online Team just 2 posts above your post, please read it.

If you like the idea please post "I fully support this and would like to see it become a feature +1". Please also read the OP again carefully and take note of what is written in "Cyan" and "Red", thank you.

As to the matter of how long, time is irrelevent, and I only wish for people to discuss the idea of the Ranks and Titles, support it or add suggestions of there own, this will help. Telling how long it will take, when in fact you do not know, does not help.
    :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cryptic, here's my feedback on the General Gameplay Ranking System.

Six Ranks may not be enough for the future of STO, and the Ranks are also not accurate to Trek Lore, please can we have the Eleven Ranks listed below? I have done a lot of research, and put a lot of time into establishing a reasonably accurate list of Starfleet Ranks for Commissioned Officers of the 25th Century, listed below in Rank Order from lowest to highest.

Applying this new Rank Structure would help you (Cryptic) by helping the Customers, most players love Star Trek and believe in Trek Lore, this would also increase the time it would take to reach the maximum Rank, which would be a good thing as many players have reached the maximum Rank of Rear Admiral within a week of Gameplay. One other thing I can think of, that would benefit you (Cryptic) and the Players by applying this new Rank Structure would be the huge potential of growth for players by allowing them many more variable options as well as allowing you to add new abilities later, after progressing from the Rank of Captain.

To the Community, please post your thoughts on this subject, whether they be positive or Negative.

Please view post #151 on page 16 to read the first response from the Star Trek Online Team.

Link to Starfleet Ranks at Memory Alpha.

Ranks 2 to 6 need to be changed ASAP and Ranks 7 to 11 can be patched in at anytime in the future.

Starfleet Ranks for Commissioned Officers.

1. Grades 000 - 001 = Ensign (One Full Pip) <<< CLICK

2. Grades 002 - 010 = Lieutenant Junior Grade (One Hollowy Pip and One Full Pip) <<< CLICK

3. Grades 010 - 020 = Lieutenant (Two Full Pips) <<< CLICK

4. Grades 020 - 030 = Lieutenant Commander / Lt. Commander (One Hollow Pip and Two Full Pips) <<< CLICK

5. Grades 030 - 040 = Commander (Three Full Pips) <<< CLICK

6. Grades 040 - 050 = Capitan (Four Full Pips) <<< CLICK

7. Grades 050 - 060 = Rear Admiral Lower Half (One Full Pip within a Gold Outline (Improvised)). *

8. Grades 060 - 070 = Rear Admiral Upper Half (Two Full Pips within a Gold Outline). <<< CLICK **

9. Grades 070 - 080 = Vice Admiral (Three Full Pips within a Gold Outline). <<< CLICK **

10. Grades 080 - 090 = Admiral (Four Full Pips within a Gold Outline). <<< CLICK ***

11. Grades 090 - 100 = Fleet Admiral (Four Full Pips within a Double Gold Outline (Improvised)). ***

* Rank Requires Special Circumstances (Difficult to Accomplish) to be Completed before it can be unlocked so that you are able to get Promoted.

** Rank Requires Extra Special Circumstances (Very Difficult to Accomplish) to be Completed before it can be unlocked so that you are able to get Promoted.

*** Rank Requires Extreme Special Circumstances (Extremely Difficult to Accomplish) to be Completed before it can be unlocked so that you are able to get Promoted.

I have made the following changes to this OP (23d of Febuary, 2010):

I have removed the Rank of Commodore as a result of user feeback, also while it was included, there were a total of twelve Ranks rather than eleven. After testing how you level up early on with a new chracter I realised that Ensign only has 1 Grade and you start at Grade 2 when you reach the rank of Lieutenant. so I changed all Grades (Levels) to operate exactly the same way as they do in the current version of the game. This resulted in reducing the Original 120 Grades (Levels) down to 100 Grades (Levels).

Below is the removed Rank of Commodore:

Levels 051 - 060 = Commodore (One Full Pip within a Gold Outline (Improvised)). *

Originally Posted by Falkoren in the "Fleet Only" events Thread

Using Falkorens example, if you would like to see this Rank Structure patched into STO sometime in the future, I would like to ask the community to please respond with "I fully support this and would like to see it become a feature +1." This will help Cryptic determine overall community response.

Thank you.

Please consider the questions quoted below and discuss them.

Please also note the ideas Quoted below, they are from various members of the Community.

Thank you for your time and attention.

P.S. The three Titles below are suggestions to add to the C-Store, either for Free, much like the Titles Ambassador and Special Envoy or for a Price.

Emissary (Honorary Title and not a Rank)

Fleet Captain (Honorary Title and not a Rank)

Deputy Director (Officer Position / Title, used in Starfleet Intelligence / Section 31 and not a Rank)

Your ideas are interesting;however, they have an extremely negative impact on people that don't want to grind forever. The additional leveling requirements will further hamper later expansions, Cardassian and Romulan specifically, the more a time sink system is put into place, the worse off those future factions will be.

The majority of the concept here appears to be RP related. I doubt that any of this would be felt necessary if Cryptic had originally decided to name it's tier five "Captain" instead of RA.

Since this is primarily RP motived, would you be willing to use an RP solution? Thus since it's the Title that's important to you, what if Cryptic simply made the titles available to you and your friends so you could select these items as they felt appropriate to you?

Considering that other titles are there, I think that kind of compromise gives your idea the best chance to fly. It has no negative impact on people that don't want to grind further. It does however give players who feel ranking is too fast, a defined level of control on how quickly they get there. In the end you would be the four star of your fleet.

That's my two cents. Would that work for you?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Laylyn wrote: »
    Your ideas are interesting;however, they have an extremely negative impact on people that don't want to grind forever. The additional leveling requirements will further hamper later expansions, Cardassian and Romulan specifically, the more a time sink system is put into place, the worse off those future factions will be.

The majority of the concept here appears to be RP related. I doubt that any of this would be felt necessary if Cryptic had originally decided to name it's tier five "Captain" instead of RA.

Since this is primarily RP motived, would you be willing to use an RP solution? Thus since it's the Title that's important to you, what if Cryptic simply made the titles available to you and your friends so you could select these items as they felt appropriate to you?

Considering that other titles are there, I think that kind of compromise gives your idea the best chance to fly. It has no negative impact on people that don't want to grind further. It does however give players who feel ranking is too fast, a defined level of control on how quickly they get there. In the end you would be the four star of your fleet.

That's my two cents. Would that work for you?

Thank you for your feedback, however there is no suggestion of any kind within this thread that would eventually lead to any kind of grinding or hampering, as it is clearly stated that Ranks 7 to 11 can be patched in at anytime in the future and thus be patched in when the other factions are ready and have levels of equal proportion.

The answer to your question is no it would not work for me, this thread and the contents within it are not RP related, they are related to the actual ranks used by Commissioned Officers within Starfleet. The Ranks you suggest to use as Titles are not Titles, they are Ranks, I have suggested 3 new Titles to add to the C-Store.

Thinking outside the box also allows us to establish the idea that the Ranks above Captain do not necessarily have be forced upon the player, I have stated that these Ranks would require special circumstances to unlock and the idea has also been suggested that Ranks 7 to 11 may not give you any skill points, but will allow you to unlock new Fleet wide buff abilities, and in doing so removing any necessary programming required to add any new pieces to the skill tree or new ships etc.

We can also suggest that by adding Ranks 7 to 11 that we do the opposite and add further to the skill tree and new ships, mission content, new systems, new sectors etc.

Most of the responses from players regarding levelling suggest that they level to fast and then find themselves to be bored due to the apparent lack of content.

The reasons behind adding this canon rank structure into the game would be to not only rectify the mistakes that have either been intentionally or unintentionally made to the current rank structure in the game by Cryptic, but also add a huge amount of potential for growth and additional content and yes I know content can be added without adding Ranks, but adding Ranks will increase the amount of potential for content.

I have had a response from the Star Trek Online Team stating the following information for all who are interested to read.

dstahl wrote: »
    The future of the skill point cap, ranks, and skill trees is tied to future release plans that the team is not going to be discussing at this time. There are continual discussions and design meeting about the current planned progression players will have as each of our future updates comes out. Skill trees, Skill cap raises, Ranks, Classes, and new Factions are all long term changes (ie more than a month away) that are currently outside the scope of this very near term (within a month) Engineering Report.

As we get close to the release schedule of those changes, then you will see more information about it in these reports.

So all I want to know is, who is interested in seeing this canon Rank Structure implemented into the game, and further more, does anyone else have any further ideas to add to the mix.

At present I am unaware of how this Rank Structure could be improved any further, as I have taken all of the positive and negative user feedback, then used that feedback to improve the OP to suit all, while keeping it realistic, accurate and up to date with new information.

What the OP does require is to be fully read, understood and for those who read it to have an open mind to the possibilities. As Star Trek is Online, Live, New and will be improving monthly and thus does not have to use traditional methods implemented in other games, but can be open to new ideas that have never been used before that suit the player base.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If cryptic enable too much ranks this game become and other wow, and i leave it, ... i think i will not be the only one. If i would like to play a wow-like game, i don't be here.

Regards !
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If cryptic enable too much ranks this game become and other wow, and i leave it, ... i think i will not be the only one. If i would like to play a wow-like game, i don't be here.

Regards !

I think your missing the point completely, there is also no reason to become angry over the suggestion of ideas, of which Cryptic can use for future reference.

Please note again, that this has nothing to do with Wow and again if implemented will not have any implications in game that would make STO anything like WoW.

Also note that everything in this thread is mearly a question, a idea or a suggestion and there is no real threat or reason to suggest that if Cryptic chooses to add further Ranks, that those Ranks will be anything like the Ranks that have been listed in the OP. Not only that but if any further Ranks are implemented, the way that the new Ranks function and the levels that are associated with them as well as any future possiblities of future content that go with those Ranks may not be what you expect, either way they will still not have anything to do with WoW.

It is also possible that only one or two if any of the suggestions for Ranks as well as ideas as to how they would work in this thread are implemented or even taken into consideration.

Please open your mind to further possibilities that exist outside of WoW, I have never even played the game and I as well as many others, including Cryptic have offered ideas that appear to me, to be outside the bounderies of which the WoW game allows players to play in.

Not to mention the fact again, that all of these Ranks are canon to Star Trek, I remind you that this is a Star Trek game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Consider me signed - I am absolutely all for adding more ranks to the structure.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How would you propose reconciling these ranks with the fact that one would never be put in charge of a major ship unless the commanding officers in front of you were all incapacitated?

For an Ensign to become an "active Captain" the command staff would all have to be dead or incapacitated. In addition the Klingons would need a matching structure so their weapons, items and ship tiers would balance out.

Got any ideas for content to go with those ranks?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How would you propose reconciling these ranks with the fact that one would never be put in charge of a major ship unless the commanding officers in front of you were all incapacitated?

For an Ensign to become an "active Captain" the command staff would all have to be dead or incapacitated. In addition the Klingons would need a matching structure so their weapons, items and ship tiers would balance out.

Here below is a quote from one of the answers I gave to a similar poster on page #6, that is if I have understood your question correctly, if you read the thread, most of the information people ask for has allready been covered and yes I agree that the other factions would need to have a equally proportionate Rank Structure.

You allready start the game at the Rank of Ensign, so that gripe is not with me, it's with Cryptic, I'm just trying to make it easier for them by not only using Trek Lore but by also using some common sence as well as some very sound logic which will solve a lot of future issues within the game.

As for your Question, "Why on earth would an Ensign ever be given command of a starship?"

Cryptic has allready answered this Question, they've made it quite clear that the UFP is at War with the Klingons and are also being taunted by the Borg to some degree, during the tutorial all Senior Officers onboard your vessel are killed and you are the only remaining Officer able to take Command. After the Tutorial you keep the Command of the vessel due to the extreme circumstances that Starfleet has to face, not to mention the lack of Senior Officers. Oh by the way, it's still just a game and Cryptic did a pretty damn good job of introducing all players with or without Star Trek knowledge, to all of the game elements during the tutorial to get them started.

Hell, if I had my way, I would have everyone start the game in Starfleet Acadamy, but thats not what this thread is about, this thread is about the Rank System and the future expantion of the game.

So please only post a reply if you have some thoughts about the actual topic at hand, use your imagination and be creative, whether it's posistive feedback or negative feedback, it should be about the topic.

Got any ideas for content to go with those ranks?

Yes I do, a lot of the ideas have been posted within this thread also, the principle of the idea within the thread is to correct the mistakes to the current Rank Structure that Cryptic have either intentionally or unintentionally made, while also allowing a great amount of potential for new content to be associated with these new Ranks that could possibly be patched in at anytime in the future.

Would you like me to list every single idea for new content to go with these Ranks that I can think of as well as all of the ideas that have been previously posted?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Would you like me to list every single idea for new content to go with these Ranks that I can think of as well as all of the ideas that have been previously posted?

First of all, if you've already answered a similar question I'm sorry about that. I'm more of a "skimming" type of reader so sometimes I tend to miss things like that. Honestly I would love to here everyone's(including yours) ideas for content to fill those ranks. It might be helpful to coalesce them into a single post as well. I leave that up to your discretion.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I still feel you should start as a cadet, and even finish the turial as one. Cadet, Ensign, Liutenant Junior Grade, Liutenant, Liutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, etc....
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    First of all, if you've already answered a similar question I'm sorry about that. I'm more of a "skimming" type of reader so sometimes I tend to miss things like that. Honestly I would love to here everyone's(including yours) ideas for content to fill those ranks. It might be helpful to coalesce them into a single post as well. I leave that up to your discretion.

I will work on a post detailing all of the ideas for content to go with these Ranks ASAP, but it will take time.

I still feel you should start as a cadet, and even finish the turial as one. Cadet, Ensign, Liutenant Junior Grade, Liutenant, Liutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, etc....

The following quotes below should hopefully clear up why the Non-Comisssioned Officer Cadet title is not in the list as I myself would have liked to have started the game as a Cadet but unfortunately without a major overhaul of the game, it is not viable.
    Chapuys wrote: »
    Having 5 ranks of Admiral seems a little excessive, what would be better is to remove one of the two Rear Admirals you have added, push every rank up a level and everyone start out as a Cadet - makes sense it lasts only one rank, a la Star Trek the Movie (2009). Although an Ensign then being put in charge of a ship does raise other questions but takes down the 5 ranks of Admirals.

Other than that I support this wholeheartedly as a lifer.
    As for your suggestion of starting as a Cadet, I would have also liked to start the game at Starfleet Academy, unfortunately Starfleet Academy does not exist in game at present, and Cadet is not a Rank for Commissioned Officers. The amount of change to implement starting the game as a Cadet is not viable.
    Chapuys wrote: »
    Also I never suggested adding Star Fleet Academy. Re-read my post. In addition, Star Trek (2009) had many cadets on starships during a threat to Earth/Federation - just like the start of STO with a Borg attack. I'm just suggesting use that time as a 'cadet' which would more represent the only 1 level till the next level. No longer diminishing the rank of Ensign.
    I was talking about how I envisioned starting as a cadet. Also if Cryptic were to use your idea, the task would inevitably become a lot more complicated than renaming the Ranks and all that is associated with them as I have suggested which is also complicated but not as complicated as your idea, sorry.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think your missing the point completely, there is also no reason to become angry over the suggestion of ideas, of which Cryptic can use for future reference.

Please note again, that this has nothing to do with Wow and again if implemented will not have any implications in game that would make STO anything like WoW.

Also note that everything in this thread is mearly a question, a idea or a suggestion and there is no real threat or reason to suggest that if Cryptic chooses to add further Ranks, that those Ranks will be anything like the Ranks that have been listed in the OP. Not only that but if any further Ranks are implemented, the way that the new Ranks function and the levels that are associated with them as well as any future possiblities of future content that go with those Ranks may not be what you expect, either way they will still not have anything to do with WoW.

It is also possible that only one or two if any of the suggestions for Ranks as well as ideas as to how they would work in this thread are implemented or even taken into consideration.

Please open your mind to further possibilities that exist outside of WoW, I have never even played the game and I as well as many others, including Cryptic have offered ideas that appear to me, to be outside the bounderies of which the WoW game allows players to play in.

Not to mention the fact again, that all of these Ranks are canon to Star Trek, I remind you that this is a Star Trek game.

Hello, I think you don't understand me, I'm just here because I want to play a game of Star Trek, not a game you should have 80 levels because Wow has 80 levels, as I read somewhere. Make the progression of the characters too long and not have content when you reach the maximum level, suggests that it is a game of "walk" to the last level and when you reach maximun lvl, then you have to start from again. A progression too long ... it is bored. I it s better develop ways to made a good game when you char has m
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Honestly I would love to here everyone's(including yours) ideas for content to fill those ranks.

Below is a list of all the potential content that I can currently think of, which could possibly be implemented to be associated with Ranks 6 to 11.
    6. Grades 040 - 050 = Capitan (Four Full Pips) <<< CLICK

Content Suggestions (Captain):

• Unlock a bonus called "Captains Prerogative", which would give a 10% Bonus to all Space Abilities as well as all Ground Abilities, giving a reason for players to eventually try to get themselves demoted (see Rear Admiral Lower Half below).
    7. Grades 050 - 060 = Rear Admiral Lower Half (One Full Pip within a Gold Outline (Improvised)). *

Content Suggestions (Rear Admiral Lower Half):
    • Unlock a feature that would trigger you to be demoted in rank, under certain circumstances, such as breaking the "Prime Directive". This feature would only apply to players at the Rank of Rear Admiral Lower Half and above. This feature would also not have any adverse effect upon unlocked content, so theoretically if you wanted to have all the content unlocked but serve at the Rank of Captain, you could do so by achieving the maximum (Grade) level and then getting yourself demoted back down to the Rank of Captain. I have just thought up a bonus (see Captain above) for the Rank of Captain, that no other Rank would allow, which would give players a reason to want to get demoted back down to the Rank of Captain.

• Unlock access to the Admiral Lower Half Rank Insignia.

• Unlock access to a new 25th Century Starfleet Admirals Uniform, unlike anything seen before.

• Unlock access to 24th Century Mk XI and Mk XII Federation Items, as seen previously in Star Trek.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Tier 6 Federation Starships, unlike anything seen before.

• Unlock new skill tree options, which would mean that the skill cap would have to be either raised or removed.
    8. Grades 060 - 070 = Rear Admiral Upper Half (Two Full Pips within a Gold Outline). <<< CLICK **

Content Suggestions (Rear Admiral Upper Half):
    • Unlock access to 24th Century and new 25th Century Starships that belong to various Alien Species within the Federation, such as the Andorians, Vulcans etc, these ships would provide a special bonus I haven't thought of yet that would vary depending on what Alien Species the chosen ship belongs to and the bonus would only apply to the chosen Ship. So these ships would get a bonus that Federation ships wouldn't have, making these ships appealing when compared to Fed ships, but these ships would also need something about them that makes them less appealing then Federation ships.

• Unlock access to the Admiral Upper Half Rank Insignia.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Mk XIII and Mk XIV Federation Items, unlike anything seen before.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Tier 7 Federation Starships, unlike anything seen before.

• Could possibly allow for new skill tree options but that would mean that the skill cap would have to be either raised or removed, although I recommend a skill cap at Grade (level) 60.
    9. Grades 070 - 080 = Vice Admiral (Three Full Pips within a Gold Outline). <<< CLICK **

Content Suggestions (Vice Admiral):
    • Unlock the feature to "Issue Orders" which will allow the player to issue orders to AI controlled ships that are of the same faction as the player and are in the same location as the player, but this feature will not work in Sector Space. This would be done by clicking on a new on screen button called “Issue Orders”, which would then trigger a drop down box with a number of orders listed, such as follow, defend, attack, etc.

• Unlock access to the Vice Admiral Rank Insignia.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Mk XV and Mk XVI Federation Items, unlike anything seen before.

• Unlock access to new 24th Century Tier 1 Federation Stations, as seen previously in Star Trek. These stations are small in size with weak offence / defence, they can hold inventory, require regular maintenance, be customized, be visited and can be built by players (Only One per Player and at a great Cost) but can also be destroyed by the enemy.

• Could possibly allow for new skill tree options but that would mean that the skill cap would have to be either raised or removed, although I recommend a skill cap at Grade (level) 60.
    10. Grades 080 - 090 = Admiral (Four Full Pips within a Gold Outline). <<< CLICK ***

Content Suggestions (Admiral):
    • Unlock the ability to order the refit of a lower tier ship, for example you could upgrade bridge stations so that high ranking Bridge Officers could use them. You could also take a Tier 4 Galaxy class for example, and then purchase the additional engine nacelle assembly (Creating a Galaxy-X Class), which would greatly increase the ships speed and power. There would be many more options available to refit your ship, I would also suggest that this process would require either crafting resources, merits, energy credits or a mix of the three allowing purchase of components and new parts.

• Unlock access to the Admiral Rank Insignia.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Mk XVII and Mk XVIII Federation Items, unlike anything seen before.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Tier 2 Federation Stations, unlike anything seen before. These stations are medium in size with medium offence / defence, they can hold inventory, be customized, be visited and can be built by players (Only One per Player and at a great Cost) but can also be destroyed by the enemy.

• Could also possibly unlock access to certain areas within the Federation, players would normally be restricted to these areas, but as a Starfleet Admiral you would gain access to areas like Starfleet intelligence and Section 31s head quarters, if such a thing exists.
    11. Grades 090 - 100 = Fleet Admiral (Four Full Pips within a Double Gold Outline (Improvised)). ***

Content Suggestions (Fleet Admiral):
    • Unlock the ability “Request Reinforcements”, which would allow the player to summon up to four ships to join the player in battle. These ships would warp in to the players location, be AI controlled, and they would not be any higher than Tier 2 Starships. This ability would also be on a cool down timer, something reasonable that would allow for it to work in game. Once reinforcements have arrived, you can use the feature “Issue Orders” which would have been unlocked at the Rank of Vice Admiral and will allow the player to issue orders to the reinforcements.

• Unlock access to the Fleet Admiral Rank Insignia.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Mk XIX and Mk XX Federation Items, unlike anything seen before.

• Unlock access to new 25th Century Tier 3 Federation Stations, unlike anything seen before. These stations are large in size with strong offence / defence, they can hold inventory, be customized, be visited and can be built by players (Only One per Player and at a great Cost) but can also be destroyed by the enemy.

Below are a number of added follow up suggestions for content.
    • Ranks 7 to 11, could possibly allow for Bridge Officers to be promoted to the rank of Captain and this would also allow Bridge Officers to use a 5th ability in space and on the ground, although I am not too fond of this idea at the moment.

• Ranks 9 to 11, could also possibly allow for new deep space locations outside of the current sector maps in which players can build their stations, which would also act as a base of operations for players or you could consider them deep space outposts for long range vessels.

• Each Rank would unlock access to new missions, unlike anything seen before.

• Each Rank would unlock three new Abilities, but the player can only choose one of the three available, either choosing the Engineering, Science or Tactical Ability, but choice is not dependent on character profession. The chosen Ability would give a Fleet Wide buff in varying depending on which Ability the player has chosen (Revised V2.0).

• When new content is unlocked via promotion, that content should stay unlocked even if a player is demoted. In real life, when you learn something new, it is not forgotten if you have been demoted, this also allows for the demotion feature to function smoothly. Although this should not apply to the "Issue Orders" feature which should be available only to Ranks 9 to 11, it is unlocked at the Rank of Vice Admiral.

I would especially like Cryptic to read this post and reply with their thoughts on the suggestions within this post, I may also update it with further information.

Please note that new content and revisions added to this post, on the 10th of March, 2010 are all highlighted in Lime.

• Options
    edited March 2010

I have quoted ideas from within the thread below...

Eeyno wrote: »
    Now if Cryptic still insists that they don't want to give any more skills then the other ranks could allow you to progress in gear levels but not increase in skill levels.
    AGENT-TRON wrote: »
    Im going to sugest maybe tier-6 ships that you can actually select the abilitys like speed or tank shields or hull buffs these should be avaliable through a mission into the future for rear admirals and they progress to fleet admiral or a higher rank. the ships can be existing types defiant class voyeger etc depending what abilitys the player has science tactical etc and an upgrade to the ships fits nicely with the tecnology gained from the future armoured voyeger / 5 fore weapon slots for the defiant sounds tasty
    Kevscar wrote: »
    If you can have 4 BO's operating under your command or independantly on the ground it shouldn't be to difficult to transfer that to Space. Instead of BO,s with their skill you substitute Spaceships with theirs.
    Xrystal wrote: »
    What I see no-one commenting on after reading through the posts is that your idea of beyond captain being special circumstances only is good. Kirk himself backed down from admiral to become captain again so that he could carry on exploring. I would be quite happy sitting at captain for several levels as long as the content was there to save you repeating the same things day in and day out.
    AGENT-TRON wrote: »
    What about being able to join say section 31 or some other covert organisation and gain extra skills you can train so you will no longer be rear admiral but section 31 agent etc it would tie in well with the system they have now also maybe pick up some prototype weapons and section 31 scientist to develop the technology instead of memory alpha as for content its already there in the trek films maybe a mission were a future version of yourself travels back through time to help you etc.etc.:D
    slugdude wrote:
    I would like to see some rank changes and maybe a better way to cap the skill points. I can certainly see a more detailed unlock system as well as going back in time to do previous missions plus mission builders, etc... Incorporating a diplomatic system to unlock trading with other races to get rare items or ships. Things like that. These kinds of thing take time to build and release into an MMO that is big to start with.
    capt.goose wrote:
    Once rank past captain you can possibly build a star base and go from there. Star base idea from other thread. This can take some time so it would be great for the game. Start off with star base and commanding an x number of ships and etc.
    Rysaber wrote:
    I really like the rank structure you have made here. I am actually a big fan of going to this, with the exceptions of the Admiral ranks being included into an expansion. This would make the company more money and would allow people to level with new titles in each expansion. Each Admiral rank should be done as a separate expansion.
    james79gr wrote:
    The name changes to the first six ranks are a must imo. And if Cryptic devs have even half a brain, all the "label" strings are neatly stored in a single table in the game database, and everything else that uses rank, simply refers to that table. So rly, changing the names for those 6 ranks should be as ez as sleeping (ironically, I am often prone to insomnia... ). Of course, a change in the rank images is necessary (to remove the Admiral insignia and add the Lt., JG one), but it should still be doable with little overall fuss.
    What about that last tier being subdivided into:

Combat Admiral (represents the tactical class)
    Exploration Admiral (represent the Science class)
    Admiral of the Starfleet Engineering Core-- obvious

To unlock this tier one of the requirements be that you max out to level 9 all skill related to your profession.
    This then become a choice and not an artificial barrier. Currnetly a lot of people spread skill points around in skills not directly related to theri profession but usefull non the less. This would require dedication on the player part, some sacrafice and yet still be a choice and not some arbitrary barrier.
    Spending skill points to unlock promotions is allready part of the game, but I see where you're going with different options being unlocked depending on what skill specializations the player choses to train in, thats a good idea. :)

Trouble is, what would the benefits of having the 3 different sub-divisions of the Admiral Rank be?
    Hmm good question. First to address the skill point question. Well yes spending skill points is part of advancing. However, rarely if ever will someone max all the skills in their profession they ususally get spread around a little this would require them to max every skill thus giving up some other skills in the process. For example my current engineer has spend some points in escort command. Not really part of my profession. I might have to give those up to max every profession related skill at every level.

The benefits would be the unlocking of specal fleet level powers. My best suggestion at this point would be the ability to call forth sevral lower level ships to assist you but am open to suggestions. IShips of course from your specifc class only.
    Sounds good but having the sub-division Ranks sounds a bit to complex, I am deliberately trying to keep this idea as simple as possible to allow Cryptic to take note of it, so they can turn around and say to them selves, hey we can do this, this is simple. Crossing my fingers and hoping it works, anyway as for your idea, I suggest a compromise.

The Ranks stay as they are in my OP, but everytime you get promoted through Ranks 7 to 11, you get a special reward, lets say a Fleet Wide Buff Ability as suggested in a previous post, but the Ability you get to choose, all depends on what specialized area you have put skill points into.

For example, If you have completely trained in one of the three areas, lets say Science and you get promoted to lets say, Rank #10 Admiral, you would be able to choose one of several different Science Abilitys, these abilities would give you a Fleet Wide Science Buff for something like 60 Seconds, that would be a buff for all ships in the Fleet, or Team if applying it to the entire Fleet would be to difficult.

The same for Tactical or Engineering, when you get promoted you would have the option to choose one of several different Tactical or Engineering Fleet Wide Ability Buffs, depending on what skill area you have trained in.

Also, we can suggest that if a player has trained in a varied and random area of different skills, when promoted the player would not gain access to specialized Abilities, but to generalized abilities that would give Fleet Wide Buffs to a various amount of generalized systems, it could be a speed buff, a turn rate buff or even a buff that allows all ships in the Fleet to have their abilities recharge faster.

What do you think?
    That great minds think alike. I was just coming up stairs from seeing a patient thinking i did not like my last answer to you. I had, in fact, decided the ability would be a specialzied fleet wide buff. My thoughts are as follows:

1) I agree keep the rank structure as is.
    2) If specialized in one of the 3 disciplines as I previously described then the buff would be refered to by the aforementioned titles or some such variation.
    3) If not specialized by whatever standards make sense then you get a general buff of some sort.
    4) The specilaized buff should be moderately better than the general buff to encourage some people to specialize but not be to good to force specialization.

Otherwise I think we got a good idea here.
    vince0018 wrote: »
    This idea is perfect. Would be good if each rank takes at least as long, or longer, to get to as the current ranks (but the high ranks are extremely difficult) I really hope this gets implemented.

Also it would be cool if the higher/highest ranks were more dynamic ie if you could lose grades/xp by dying, this would also add a death penalty at higher levels. Maybe there could be other ways to lose xp aswell.
    I am fine with Rear Admiral being the highest rank, but feel that the skill cap should be raised. Who says an Admiral cannot keep learning?
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    Of course you realize that they would have to hire Leonard Nimoy again to do the voice work for the new ranks? As this is something that costs quite a bit of money I wouldn't count on it happening too soon, if at all.

Not that I'm against it.

I'm sure they have plans to add higher ranks at some point anyway. And your rank structure is not only more in tune with ST canon, it would allow the Klingon rank structure to be corrected as well, as theirs is more off than Fed side.

:cool:
    Thank you for your feedback, the matter of brining Leonard Nimoy back for more dialog had not crossed my mind, there may be a work around this or perhaps if implemented this is what Cryptic would like to do, but Ranks 7 to 11 do not necessarily have to be patched in anytime soon.
    I think it would be a great idea personally also @the man who mentioned re-hiring leonard nimoy for voice acting A: i assume if they have new ranks in future then they would have to do that and a possible work around would be to cut and paste the current voice over So it just says Congratulations on your promotion but gloss over the Rank for the new Ranks including but not recorded for this i believe wouldn't cost them anything else and while not ideal would be a workable solution that should appease 90% of people =]

Thank you for your time and attention.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    yall DONT GIVE UP DO YOU? DEV has all rdy said RANKS ARE NOT GOIN TO CHANG GET OVER IT
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shaddam wrote:
    yall DONT GIVE UP DO YOU? DEV has all rdy said RANKS ARE NOT GOIN TO CHANG GET OVER IT

Thanks for the thread bump. :)

FYI, no they haven't, you should read the Dev responce in this thread Mr. Shaddam, also I highly recommend you stop replying to this thread if you don't like it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the thread bump. :)

FYI, no they haven't, you should read the Dev responce in this thread Mr. Shaddam, also I highly recommend you stop replying to this thread if you don't like it.

ok you just told me you where not here at beta or you would know they have you try takein a look at the old forums befor post one that have been here seens beta and any one from beta know dev has said there not changin it get over it
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    :)
    Shaddam wrote:
    ok you just told me you where not here at beta or you would know they have you try takein a look at the old forums befor post one that have been here seens beta and any one from beta know dev has said there not changin it get over it

Please read post #151 which is the first post on page 16 within this thread, it contains a reply from dstahl which contradicts everything you're saying. Also I'll have you know I was here before beta, during beta, I'm still here now and I'll be here for the rest of my life as a lifer, thank you very much.

What do you have against everything in this thread anyway Shaddam? Have you read it?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    cuz i know they have said its not goin to be chang and make a thread where you have maed most of the posting not goin to chang there minds
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shaddam wrote:
    cuz i know they have said its not goin to be chang and make a thread where you have maed most of the posting not goin to chang there minds

dude ever heard of grammar.

and i'l think you will find they said they were not going to put bridges in at first.

and guess what we have.....

Edit.. oh and i totaly agree with the OP. what exact ranks are there above admiral which can be used when the cap is raised?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    changin something and addin something ummmmm duher is ummmmm 2 difenter things
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Shaddam wrote:
    changin something and addin something ummmmm duher is ummmmm 2 difenter things

ok i think i got the gist of what your saying but i dont speak idiot very well.
    and changin would be very easy actualy its as simple as changing the word captain to commander.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Metalix wrote: »
    ok i think i got the gist of what your saying but i dont speak idiot very well.
    and changin would be very easy actualy its as simple as changing the word captain to commander.

you wont the JOB OF DOIN THAT TO EVERY MISSON TO EVERY NPC TO JUST ABOUT EVERY THING IN GAME?????????????????
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Edit.. oh and i totaly agree with the OP.

Hi Metalix, I posted some suggestions for content to be associated with Ranks 7 to 11 on the last page, page #17 and post #166, it's actually quite a bit to read but let me know what you think if you get the chance.

Thanks.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Very good ideas. especialy like the idea about building stations.
    should take a well organized fleet to destroy a tier 1 station though.
    i like the issuing orders idea aswell.
    i think they could make it similar to the way an away team is managed though.
    and i would as a matter of fact shaddam.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Very good ideas. especialy like the idea about building stations.
    should take a well organized fleet to destroy a tier 1 station though.
    i like the issuing orders idea aswell.
    i think they could make it similar to the way an away team is managed though.
    and i would as a matter of fact shaddam.

Thanks for the feedback and indeed they could make it similar to they way you issue orders to your Away Team, it would be awesome! LoL :D

I would love to hear more opinions on those ideas from others and I would also like other members to get into "Think Tank" mode and post some ideas of their own. It took all the free time I had available within the past two days to write out that content suggestion post and get it right, even after I posted I noticed some errors. LoL
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the advice, Alecto. I agree that the ranking system needs adjustment, though I hope that they work on adding non-combat content first. Nice to know the Dev's at least saw your idea, though.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Silvijanus wrote: »
    good idea but 120 levels is too much.

Maybe; Lt junior grade 10-15, Lt. 15-22, 23-30 Lt Cmd..

Anarchy Online (7 years old) has 220 levels.

And they are updating the graphics engine which for a 7 year old MMO is unheard of.
This discussion has been closed.