test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Current Community.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Okay im going to go straight to the point.

Currently the community on here sucks. No doubt about it. Im sorry guys but its all uncoordinated whining and *****ing with a lot of flame in the middle.

Can we all please pull together? Just for the sake of all that STO?

By pulling together I dont mean agreeing on everything because that would be daft. But it would be nice if we could all stop acting so immaturely and start trying to address problems maturely. For one part devs will take a mature response far more seriously than random whine and also there would be less open invitation for flamers.

The attitude stinks around here. Anyone who posts something that is slightly against the others ideas is instantly being flamed and it all just spirals from there. Can we at least try and get a form of unity here? We are all here for the same purpose so why not work together? Why can we not accept that the other person may have different views and that it may just be a lot more logical than our own?

Seriously guys lets just actively group together and work as a team to make STO something truely fantastic. Meanwhile we can get rid of issues that are blatently just wrong and endorse those that are right.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    WOOOT! AMEN Power to the People... ALL FOR FLOWER POWER... opps wrong genre.

People here have legitimate concerns and legitimate complaints so it is their right to voice their opinions as well as you have a right to voice yours. Also flaming, raging, trolling and carebearing are a part of forum life. Has been, will be. You can either not read the forums, go with the flow, or rebel against it. Your choice. Although I wish you luck.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The general attitude of a game's community is a good way to measure the quality of the game and the way it is handled by it's developer/publisher.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Any game forum will be disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence; it is simply the way of the internet.

However, specific choices made, objectives failed, and communications botched have lead to the current state of the forums being nothing more than Cryptic reaping what it has sown.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree and it's even more sad because this is a star trek game. I think there needs to be more moderation and the locking of pointless threads such as the ridiculous amount of threads from people just saying that they're cancelling. This would hopefully clear the rubbish and keep the discussion more constructive and more about the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You must be new to the internet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ryan121 wrote: »
    I agree and it's even more sad because this is a star trek game. I think there needs to be more moderation and the locking of pointless threads such as the ridiculous amount of threads from people just saying that they're cancelling.

There would be more positive posts trying to drown them out if there were more people left who felt the need.

Even the desperately optimistic loyalists often derided as 'fanboys' are starting to jump ship.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    People here have legitimate concerns and legitimate complaints so it is their right to voice their opinions as well as you have a right to voice yours.

i agree with this but theres 2 ways to go about it constructivley and imaturley if were constructive in our critasisems and state fact and opinion in a mature way to back up our complaints were far more likely to be heard than when we are just whining and mowning

instead of just saying STO sucks tell us why thats your opinion back it up with fact and something constructive may come out of it

thats how a platform of debate can be made and it will help everyone realise the core problems and help the devs to solve those core problems

p.s. sorry about my spelling
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree and it's even more sad because this is a star trek game. I think there needs to be more moderation and the locking of pointless threads such as the ridiculous amount of threads from people just saying that they're cancelling.

You must be one of the people Cryptic says "Gets it". AKA a Star Trek fan who doesn't care about the quality of the game as long as it is Star Trek.

I'm highly critical of this game solely because I am a Star Trek fan. Being Star Trek doesn't automatically make a game awesome. Eventhough we wish it should.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Its all ova!!! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sparkeh86 wrote: »

Currently the community on here sucks. No doubt about it. Im sorry guys but its all uncoordinated whining and *****ing with a lot of flame in the middle.

By pulling together I dont mean agreeing on everything because that would be daft. But it would be nice if we could all stop acting so immaturely and start trying to address problems maturely. For one part devs will take a mature response far more seriously than random whine and also there would be less open invitation for flamers.

The attitude stinks around here. Anyone who posts something that is slightly against the others ideas is instantly being flamed and it all just spirals from there. Can we at least try and get a form of unity here? We are all here for the same purpose so why not work together? Why can we not accept that the other person may have different views and that it may just be a lot more logical than our own?

Seriously guys lets just actively group together and work as a team to make STO something truely fantastic. Meanwhile we can get rid of issues that are blatently just wrong and endorse those that are right.

Who gets to decide what is blatently wrong and those that are right? Unless you can put us all together physcially where we could punch someone lights out and do away with the anominity of all of us hiding behind our screens what you propose will never happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It is not the community's job to make the game something good. That is solely the responsibility of the company making it. People seem to have the mistaken impression that this is some kind of cooperative venture between the players and Cryptic. It is not. It is a company making a product and consumers choosing to support that product or not.

Feedback is wonderful, and smart companies carefully weigh the feedback of their customers, but that does not alleviate them of sole responsibility for the success or failure of the product.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maybe you're right as I have noticed the forums are getting worse and worse with most of the threads on the first page just being complaints. It's a sad state of affairs but there are a lot of people cancelling and when they finally do they can no longer post so that should help remove some negativity on the forums.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Sadly, I think it is more or less the nature of the age we live in. Respect for your fellow man/woman is something that a lot of people just don't have anymore. Whether it stems from throwaway culture, community breakdown, alien manipulation, or just too many drugs in the water from the 60's-70's it is a something we have to put up with.

Really though, while it may seem bad this weekend on these forums, there are usually some pretty good posts around with ideas and feedback that get some recognition. The good people are around, you just have to sieve through a lot of the less civil posters at the moment to get to them.

These forums will mostly likely always be swamped by a number of flame posters, so we just have to work around it till they get tired. Though the fact that people can get so worked up over this game is kind of nice to see, actually. I would rather see people worked up over the game than apathetic to it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've been part of many communities. Yes, some are worse than others, much more confrontational and ill-mannered, but one thing I've noticed is: A bad community is usually made up of unhappy gamers. If players love the game they're playing, if it feels really special to them, you see relatively less trolling and flaming.

I see unhappy people. (Take that Bruce Willis!) :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    stefman123 wrote: »
    i agree with this but theres 2 ways to go about it constructivley and imaturley if were constructive in our critasisems and state fact and opinion in a mature way to back up our complaints were far more likely to be heard than when we are just whining and mowning

instead of just saying STO sucks tell us why thats your opinion back it up with fact and something constructive may come out of it

p.s. sorry about my spelling

Just for the record, I love Star Trek and I don't think STO sucks. (I know you didn't accuse me or anything, just wanted to let you know.)

Yes there are those two ways but asking for maturity on a gaming forum is like asking a homeless guy for change. You can ask but you will probably end up walking away with less than you already had.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Happy Customers = Happy Forums

Angry Customers = Angry Forums

Comprendo?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Im not new to the internet but im new to a Global MMO forum.

Unfortunately it seems my past MMO experiences within just the EU have been far more pleasant and mature than those including other regions. This is just my experience.

Im not asking for everyone to kiss and hug but seriously. Will flaming get you anywhere?

Wouldnt it be far easier for Cryptic to do their job and better for everyone else if we could just have a forum full of constructive critisism and praises for differnet things? Its hard to sift through the flaming as it stands.

I guess maybe I am asking a bit too much but I really dont see why we should all be so hostile.

For example I understand people are cheesed off with the current Atari deal. Im personally not bothered but im willing to back you guys and stand with you because its wrong. I know its wrong even if it doesnt affect me (in my opinion)...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You must be one of the people Cryptic says "Gets it". AKA a Star Trek fan who doesn't care about the quality of the game as long as it is Star Trek.

I'm highly critical of this game solely because I am a Star Trek fan. Being Star Trek doesn't automatically make a game awesome. Eventhough we wish it should.

I'll admit I love Star Trek but I do enjoy the game as well so I'm not just playing because it's star trek and I'm looking forward to any future updates to the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    like i posted in another fred. 3 Categories in this "Community"
    1) Lifers who dont give a c....
    2) Quitters/Whiners who feel like c....
    3) Fanboys who know c....
    and a 4th is slowly building up. The new Players who believe any kind of c.....

It all comes down to c....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Im not new to the internet but im new to a Global MMO forum.

Unfortunately it seems my past MMO experiences within just the EU have been far more pleasant and mature than those including other regions. This is just my experience.

Im not asking for everyone to kiss and hug but seriously. Will flaming get you anywhere?

Wouldnt it be far easier for Cryptic to do their job and better for everyone else if we could just have a forum full of constructive critisism and praises for differnet things? Its hard to sift through the flaming as it stands.

I guess maybe I am asking a bit too much but I really dont see why we should all be so hostile.

For example I understand people are cheesed off with the current Atari deal. Im personally not bothered but im willing to back you guys and stand with you because its wrong. I know its wrong even if it doesnt affect me (in my opinion)...

Boy, you clearly have never been to a German MMO Forum. This one is really civilized compared to what i have seen there :-)
    The French ones are actually quite easy going
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree and it's even more sad because this is a star trek game. I think there needs to be more moderation and the locking of pointless threads such as the ridiculous amount of threads from people just saying that they're cancelling. This would hopefully clear the rubbish and keep the discussion more constructive and more about the game.

Funny thing (sad thing) is they seem to be axeing the fantypes more than the haters lately
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Husard wrote:
    Boy, you clearly have never been to a German MMO Forum. This one is really civilized compared to what i have seen there :-)
    The French ones are actually quite easy going

The Russian ones are scary.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Funny thing (sad thing) is they seem to be axeing the fantypes more than the haters lately

Giving fuel to the hater's fire by sticking it to the fantypes, indeed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    The Russian ones are scary.

Anywhere the Russians go the Internet quivers in fear. I'd get forum-banned for even euphemistically describing half the things I stumbled on in the Russian corners of Livejournal.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Currently the community on here sucks.

/signed.

I was hoping this game would be different, but it's not. LotRO is the most recent game that I can remember having a decent community, but it's declined over the years. STO started out as TRIBBLE from the get go. :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not seeing anything on this forum that is any different than any of the MMO's I have played in the past.

I see great posts with people with idea's.

I see people upset about the game and don't like what they see and want to leave.

I see great post with great idea's get attacked by someone going off topic with needless posts.

I have seen this in World of Warcraft, TF2, Quake (I, II, III), AoC, LoTR's, Aion and a few others.
    This community is nothing new to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The general attitude of a game's community is a good way to measure the quality of the game and the way it is handled by it's developer/publisher.

No, it's a general indication of the maturity of the community. If a person doesn't like a game they should just quit playing and go play something else instead of spending so much energy on trolling....unless, of course, that's what gets them off.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thradar wrote: »
    /signed.

I was hoping this game would be different, but it's not. LotRO is the most recent game that I can remember having a decent community, but it's declined over the years. STO started out as TRIBBLE from the get go. :mad:

See the connection here?

LoTR: Decent-to-Good game=Decent-to-Good Community.

STO=....you be the judge.
    No, it's a general indication of the maturity of the community. If a person doesn't like a game they should just quit playing and go play something else instead of spending so much energy on trolling....unless, of course, that's what gets them off.

All forums have a certain degree of obvious trolls. I'm not talking about them. STO has a generally negative attitude to almost all posts; if they are constructive feedback they are almost always "X is bad, here is how to improve it!" and not "I'd like to see feature Y added to the game!".
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Actually, I'd say it's more of a cross between the sort of person the game intends to draw in and how good the game is. LotRO benefited from being a decent game with an IP that appealed to a calmer, more erudite generation.

Eve has the former, but the game's design and developer attitude encourages a generally sociopathic tone to the game and community. STO has the latter, but the game has more rough spots than sandpaper.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Nice try, but you are wasting your energy. You would be better served just joining a reasonable fleet and using their boards. I've seen enough on this forum to know there will never be any civility between posters and like Xbox Live it will degenerate into name calling and flaming faster than transwarp travel.

There are very few forums on the internet with common respect and equal joviality between users and this is definitely not one of them. There just aren't enough banhammers to go around.

I'm just glad the game doesn't have public voice chat.