test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic's hand forced?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I read somewhere today that Cryptic was forced to release the game on the day they did because they would have been in nasty trouble with CBS otherwise. Is this true and provable?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Only the devs know for sure and that is one thing they would never tell us.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:

most likely they are under legal obligation to not tell.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ya i'm sure they want to tell us many things, but they are not allowed (like being forced to launch the game early ;))
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    there was something about a $20 mil bonus for getting the game out in time.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I had heard of that myself, it has something do to with the other company wasting to much time on the game, before Cryptic took over.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Current speculation is that since CBS wasted money on I think 2 other developers, and produced nothing, they were very VERY interested in getting the game out ASAP. If you want to believe that, then do so. Personally, this is an MMO backbone, that is getting flushed out. Was it early, sure. Does it mean it won't be good down the road, no.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wrote:
    The bonus is not for getting the game out in time. The bonus is for meeting or exceeding long-term subscription projections for CO and STO into 2011. You can easily Google and find that information online as part of the Atari purchase announcement.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:

Yep.

Also remember this IP was Perpetual's before it became Cryptic's. They got the IP second-hand, wouldn't be surprised if that cut into the project timeline as well, or was a negotiating point with CBS (or Atari perhaps) to get the IP off of Perpetual.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    here we go again.
    I read somewhere today that Cryptic was forced to release the game on the day they did because they would have been in nasty trouble with CBS otherwise. Is this true and provable?

Why would CBS have anything to do with Cryptic's development schedule? CBS own the property around which Cryptic wished to build a game. There was an existing license to use the intellectual property of CBS that was transferred to Cryptic. That's CBS' involvement. As long as Cryptic remained within the constraints and parameters of their license then CBS are nothing to do with STO.

As part of the payment to Cryptic's owners when Atari bought them out, as well as the cash and earn-out agreements there is a clause that will pay the previous owners a bonus up to and not exceeding USD 20 million (in cash or stock at Infogrames choosing ) if Champions online and STO exceed previously agreed revenue targets by Aug 2010 for CO and May 2011 for STO. Who knows if those bonus' are on target to be triggered?
    Infogrames’ offer for all of the issued and outstanding equity of Cryptic is comprised of the following:

 USD 27.6 million (i.e. approx. EUR 21.7 million) upfront cash payment at closing;

 A potential earn-out mechanism for a maximum amount estimated as of today at USD 27.5 million (i.e. approx. EUR 21.6 million):

 USD 17.8 million to be paid in cash, USD 6.7 million estimated as of today to be paid in Infogrames shares (i.e. up to 889,242 shares) and USD 3.0 million estimated as of today to be paid to holders of Cryptic stock options either in Infogrames shares (i.e. up to 407,603 shares, subject to Infogrames’ shareholders approval) or in cash.

 Earn-out is based on the completion of 2010/2011 revenues targets of Champions Online and Star Trek Online, half of the earn-out in relation to Champions Online online revenues being paid on June 30, 2010, the other half on March 1st, 2011;

 a bonus for a maximum amount of USD 20 million (i.e. approx. EUR 15.7 million) is to be paid in cash or Infogrames stock (at the option of Infogrames, subject to the shareholders’ approval), if Champions Online and Star Trek Online’s 2010/2011 online revenues over perform revenues targets. This bonus is to be paid on August 2010 and on May 2011.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't mind the early release.

What I am worried about is just how much effort will be put into really expanding the game, completing it, expanding it more, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Current speculation is that since CBS wasted money on I think 2 other developers, and produced nothing, they were very VERY interested in getting the game out ASAP. If you want to believe that, then do so. Personally, this is an MMO backbone, that is getting flushed out. Was it early, sure. Does it mean it won't be good down the road, no.

Where has this ludicrous idea come from that CBS had anything to do with the game being made? They just sold the usage rights to their IP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Where has this ludicrous idea come from that CBS had anything to do with the game being made? They just sold the usage rights to their IP.

Why would you think CBS wouldn't care about the game?
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I think this idea stems from at least one Dev post where they said they had to have a number of meetings with CBS folks. They sold the rights to the IP, but it appears they have quite a bit of say on how that IP is used in-game. Only Cryptic has the real TRIBBLE of course. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why would you think CBS wouldn't care about the game?

Why would you think that CBS had anything to do with making the game is more important.
    CBS care about their brand and their property. The only thing that CBS have done is to ensure that Cryptic do not alter established canon or damage their brand. Which is pretty much what grown ups do when they discuss a rights licensing deal.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who talk about this game as though it was a project that CBS hired people to make. It's not true.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    remember everyone assuming makes an TRIBBLE of honestly just YOU :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They licensed the rights. They did not sell them. Just like software licenses, IP licenses tend to contain a lot of conditions. They give the rights holder considerable power over the final product in the interests of protecting the value of their IP.

But in the end, it doesn't matter who pulled the trigger early on the game. The product is the product, and it is either worth your money or it isn't. Who's "fault" it is has no practical importance whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't know but the way these things usually work, you option the rights and have to release it within a window. It's entirely possible that Cryptic simply got a bargain on Perpetual's contract at the bankruptcy bargain bin and that the contract stipulated that rights would revert to CBS if no product was released by March 2010 or something like that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think this idea stems from at least one Dev post where they said they had to have a number of meetings with CBS folks. They sold the rights to the IP, but it appears they have quite a bit of say on how that IP is used in-game. Only Cryptic has the real TRIBBLE of course. :D

That's straight-forward buisiness. Of course CBS will have the say on how their property is used.
    If I went to the BBC and said i wanted to make a Dr Who game and can I buy a rights license, all they are initially concerned about is can I do it without damaging their brand and do I have the cash. But of course there would be meetings to ensure I don't create a pink tardis with hello kitty plastered all over it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dudemanjac wrote: »

Link or it didn't happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dudemanjac wrote: »

Rumor, probably correct, was that Cryptic had a limited development window with CBS/ Paramount.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You only need to visit the Cryptic website to read their development cycles...
    “Atari will benefit from Cryptic’s powerful proprietary engine, scalable content development tools and online server architecture to deliver very high productivity-per-employee and industry-leading client/server performance and create unique, high quality MMO games on 18 to 24-month cycles.”

http://www.crypticstudios.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=244&Itemid=32

That was posted in 2008.
    This idea that it's all down to CBS is rubbish.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't know but the way these things usually work, you option the rights and have to release it within a window. It's entirely possible that Cryptic simply got a bargain on Perpetual's contract at the bankruptcy bargain bin and that the contract stipulated that rights would revert to CBS if no product was released by March 2010 or something like that.

Why would CBS care when or even if the game is ever released? They sold a license. That's the end of their involvement beyond clarification of the terms of that license.

This is the simplest thing. I'm amazed it causes so much confusion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's straight-forward buisiness. Of course CBS will have the say on how their property is used.
    If I went to the BBC and said i wanted to make a Dr Who game and can I buy a rights license, all they are initially concerned about is can I do it without damaging their brand and do I have the cash. But of course there would be meetings to ensure I don't create a pink tardis with hello kitty plastered all over it.

Yep. CBS being involved makes sense to me (though having a bunch of execs who probably don't know an MMO from a cheerio worries me, it's kinda unavoidable). I don't believe CBS forced anybody's hand. I think a proposal was made between parties and then accepted. Period.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

This is a big possibility. An IP license requires completion and upkeep for the project. Fail to release by the date specified, and the IP reverts.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They licensed the rights. They did not sell them. Just like software licenses, IP licenses tend to contain a lot of conditions. They give the rights holder considerable power over the final product in the interests of protecting the value of their IP.

But in the end, it doesn't matter who pulled the trigger early on the game. The product is the product, and it is either worth your money or it isn't. Who's "fault" it is has no practical importance whatsoever.

Emmert pulled the trigger. Cryptic promised 2 years maximum and their 2 years was up. So it's release or be made out to be a liar ( which may well have been a breach of terms reached in their sale conditions to Atari but that's pure speculation on my part based upon what 'd have expected were I buying them and their fancy promises )
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Optiv wrote:
    You only need to visit the Cryptic website to read their development cycles...

http://www.crypticstudios.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=244&Itemid=32

That was posted in 2008.
    This idea that it's all down to CBS is rubbish.

Not really. Cryptic could do it because they had the ability to. The Perpetual rights were not perpetual, they have a limited shelf life, like any IP. IT makes more sense that there is an end date, than there is no end date and Cryptic can sit on the IP for years and years.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Emmert pulled the trigger. Cryptic promised 2 years maximum and their 2 years was up. So it's release or be made out to be a liar ( which may well have been a breach of terms reached in their sale conditions to Atari but that's pure speculation on my part based upon what 'd have expected were I buying them and their fancy promises )

Likely. However, it still has no importance, aside from purely academic discussion. The product is what it is, and you either find it worth the money or you don't. Who made the bad calls does not change that simple fact.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Likely. However, it still has no importance, aside from purely academic discussion. The product is what it is, and you either find it worth the money or you don't. Who made the bad calls does not change that simple fact.

Oh I agree completely. I've pretty much given up discussing the meat of the game. I've had my say. I will however keep up in these 'academic' conversations. Especially when there are people still willing to repeat rumor and opinion as fact.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It was clear when CBS signed the franchise to Cryptic that they thought Cryptic could make up for lost time because they had a game engine and experience with a quick development curve. They knew their stuff, and could produce a good game in a timely manner.

Y'all should quit *****ing, they could have given it to $OE, which means it'd been shipped much worse with a horrible community relations staff.

Or Blizzard, which means we'd be playing it in 2024... maybe.

Or Funcom.. where all the female officers would be topless.

OK, maybe funcom :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wrote:
    It was clear when CBS signed the franchise to Cryptic that they thought Cryptic could make up for lost time because they had a game engine and experience with a quick development curve. They knew their stuff, and could produce a good game in a timely manner.

Y'all should quit *****ing, they could have given it to $OE, which means it'd been shipped much worse with a horrible community relations staff.

Or Blizzard, which means we'd be playing it in 2024... maybe.

Or Funcom.. where all the female officers would be topless.

OK, maybe funcom :D
    IIRC CBS didn't give the license to Cryptic. Cryptic purchased it from Perpetual. That doesn't mean that CBS didn't have to approve (that would depend on the contract) nor does it mean that Cryptic didn't have to abide by whatever termination date agreement might have been in the contract - few licenses are perpetual any more.