test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Im sorry but this looks bad (IMO)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Saw this in another thread and I gotta say something about it even though, yes, I realize it was inevitable
Cryptic is currently developing three unique MMO franchises, planned for release over the next three years on PC and next-generation consoles, including Champions Online to be released in 2009 and Star Trek Online to be released in 2010. A third game currently in development will be announced in the near future

MMOs being released to PC AND Consoles?
An ppl think the MMO crowd is rabid now O.o

I couldnt imagine trying to combine the two audiences.
I mean, its pretty inevitable IMO that it WILL happen, and the first person that does it will hit it BIG (IF they CAN pull it off) and Im fairly certain that that game would set the standard from that point onward (assuming it was a success), but I dont think ID be signing up for that kind of abuse unless there was a REALLY cool IP involved (MW anyone).

This whole Idea should, IMO, be scary as hell to anyone on either side of the fence.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This has been discussed to death many times on the CO forum. The only thing known for certain is that PC and Console would be playing on separate servers and couldn't intermingle.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If it's any consolation, AoC and at least one other were going to be released to consoles, for real, they swear, honestly, but it never happened.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if someone does this? Dude this has been done before with FFXI please think before you speak! thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Didn't seem to kill FFXI when they did it...

Edit: Beaten to it by the poster above me XD
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think EQ1 went to Playstation many years ago. Part of SoE's one trick pony plan.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if someone does this? Dude this has been done before with FFXI please think before you speak! thanks!

This man speaks the truth.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    If it's any consolation, AoC and at least one other were going to be released to consoles, for real, they swear, honestly, but it never happened.

But they never abandoned the idea completely.

Also CCP will release DUST exclusivity for consoles. And that game will have huge impact on EVE ONLINE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FFXI never really took off on the consoles did it? does anyone even still play that game? I did for like 2 hours... it was weird...
    I think what the OP meant is the first to successfully put an MMO on the consoles will hit it big.
    I dont see why they couldnt do it so we're on the same servers though...
    didnt Microsoft do it with that weird fantasy-esque FPS, Shadowrun I think it was called...

EDIT: wtf is DUST? --->google!
    EDIT2: wow. i think i want that game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bizz003 wrote: »
    FFXI never really took off on the consoles did it? does anyone even still play that game? I did for like 2 hours... it was weird...
    I think what the OP meant is the first to successfully put an MMO on the consoles will hit it big.
    didnt Microsoft do it with that weird fantasy-esque FPS, Shadowrun I think it was called...

Dust 154

• Options
    edited February 2010
    They can do it. They just choose not to for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that often the two player-types clash. The upcoming DCU MMO will also be for PC and Console, and they also aren't going to have PC and Console on the same server for basically the same reason.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    that game looks awesome
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Saw this in another thread and I gotta say something about it even though, yes, I realize it was inevitable

I mean, its pretty inevitable IMO that it WILL happen, and the first person that does it will hit it BIG (IF they CAN pull it off) and Im fairly certain that that game would set the standard from that point onward (assuming it was a success), but I dont think ID be signing up for that kind of abuse unless there was a REALLY cool IP involved (MW anyone).

This whole Idea should, IMO, be scary as hell to anyone on either side of the fence.

Why do you think this game is such a shallow pewpew game? They were aiming it for consoles.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:
    Dust 154

I think he means Dust 514
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote: »
    This has been discussed to death many times on the CO forum. The only thing known for certain is that PC and Console would be playing on separate servers and couldn't intermingle.

Ah, see I dont play CO so I havent seen these debates
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think he means Dust 514

Woops, fast typing sucks..yes 514 sorry!
  • Options
    edited February 2010

"think" doesnt even cover it cause before you said anything I never knew that. Flame a little less! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't care if console gamers get their fix. All I care about is that PC games are not dumbed down so as to be playable on the xbox or PS3.

Sure, make a game for PC, make it as good as you can then make a console port and *******ize it as much as you like in order for it to play on the xbox (see Dragon Age ) but don't make PC gamers suffer from the start by producing TRIBBLE because TRIBBLE is all that will run on the game boxes.

Having said that STO is in no danger of being dumbed down. It is already so simplified as to be console friendly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It wouldn't be the first time an MMO was released on console though either. You got FFXI which is on PC,360 & PS3 and no doubt FXIV will be released on PC & PS3,360. Star Trek Online is being released on 360 and Age of Conan was scheduled to be released on 360 also but either was canceled or delayed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    to put STO on a toy, meaning console, would be an absolute mistake. for STO to run on such old hardware may very well mean reduced graphics quality and dumbdown gameplay.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

FFXI started as a console game and then moved to the PC. It started as a PS2 game so it was designed as a console game first. Thats why the interface is a lot different than other games that are a Wow clone (yes I know WoW was not the first to use the interface but pretty much every MMO game uses the push 1 for this, push 2 for this icons). As for people playing it, its still got a very strong user base. Nothing WoW like in terms of users but still going strong.

FFXIV will also be a PC/Console MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There is a difference between a developer and a publisher. Furthermore, pure development houses rarely run/keep their own products; they are usually contracted to create a product for someone else.

As an example, BioWare developed 'Knights of the Old Republic' for LucasArts.

Honestly, why is anyone surprised by this? This was announced years ago.

Would you prefer a tiny company like Cryptic hold onto something as potentially big as Star Trek Online, rather than give it over to a large company like Atari (or, as an analogy, Blizzard Entertainment, or LucasArts)?

Not saying which I prefer either way, but seriously. Posting the same thing in so many different threads. Come on. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    wrote:
    to put STO on a toy, meaning console, would be an absolute mistake. for STO to run on such old hardware may very well mean reduced graphics quality and dumbdown gameplay.
    Most console games' systems would blow most computer systems out of the water. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They can do it. They just choose not to for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that often the two player-types clash. The upcoming DCU MMO will also be for PC and Console, and they also aren't going to have PC and Console on the same server for basically the same reason.

Wasnt there a RTS that did this? Stormrise
    Supposedly was gonna be the "next generation cross platform game" I saw it in Wal mart for $15 a week ago
    Development of the second patch was cancelled on April 28, 2009 one month after release. The Creative Assembly indicated that the cancellation was due to the financial costs involved, stating "The second patch that has been worked on by The Creative Assembly Australia will not make it into the hands of the Stormrise players, due to costs and risks associated with testing and certifying the new changes and features."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Why do you think this game is such a shallow pewpew game? They were aiming it for consoles.

That DOES explain why its a pain in the rear to get a PS3 controller to work but you CAN pretty easily get a Xbox one to work as its supported by the engine
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It wouldn't be the first time an MMO was released on console though either. You got FFXI which is on PC,360 & PS3 and no doubt FXIV will be released on PC & PS3,360. Star Trek Online is being released on 360 and Age of Conan was scheduled to be released on 360 also but either was canceled or delayed.

Never played either of em, never hear about this before now. Hence, it was news to me till this thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There is a difference between a developer and a publisher. Furthermore, pure development houses rarely run/keep their own products; they are usually contracted to create a product for someone else.

As an example, BioWare developed 'Knights of the Old Republic' for LucasArts.

Honestly, why is anyone surprised by this? This was announced years ago.

Would you prefer a tiny company like Cryptic hold onto something as potentially big as Star Trek Online, rather than give it over to a large company like Atari (or, as an analogy, Blizzard Entertainment, or LucasArts)?

Not saying which I prefer either way, but seriously. Posting the same thing in so many different threads. Come on. :p

Uh I cut that out of the other threads to out INTO this thread and left "edited for later use" instead.
    None of the ret of this is on topic tho.. The bioware game isnt cross platform is it?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Most console games' systems would blow most computer systems out of the water. :)

Wow. Huge claim. I'd like to see your triple core intel with mid range R500 ATI graphics core Xbox 360 blow even my 3rd machine, which I use solely as a server, out of the water, let alone compete with my gaming rig.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Biggest obstacle any MMO not made/commissioned directly by MS/SOE has to being on consoles is MS/SOE is going to want a cut of those monthly revenues. Isn't a console version of CO already done? Why isn't WoW on consoles? Blizzard felt is was worthwhile to make a Mac native version of WoW yet ignores consoles. You know it's not because they hate money lol.

LOL? Maybe when PS3/Xbox360 first launched that could be said, but not now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The bioware game isnt cross platform is it?
    Yes, it is.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, it is.

TOR isn't going to be.