test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To the Death!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I was browsing the forums and I had a idea. How many people would sign this thread to request a mission called to the death.

Purpose

Would have a group of people say 5 in a group and the idea is to survive as many rounds as is possible.

Reward

This could come in two parts firstly get your name on the leader board, secondly it could give you a random reward for beating so many waves. eg:

1-5 waves = normal gain of xp from killing the ships, and normal random item
6-10 waves = x1.5 xp gain, uncommon random reward
11-15 waves = x2 xp gain, rare reward
16-20 waves = 2.5xp gain,very rare reward
20+ waves = 3xp gain

any comments welcome
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Vaisey wrote:
    I was browsing the forums and I had a idea. How many people would sign this thread to request a mission called to the death.

Purpose

Would have a group of people say 5 in a group and the idea is to survive as many rounds as is possible.

Reward

This could come in two parts firstly get your name on the leader board, secondly it could give you a random reward for beating so many waves. eg:

20+ waves = 3xp gain

any comments welcome

Like Left 4 Dead 2 survival missions? Hell yes. I'd want both space and ground versions. Shouldn't be all that hard to write, either, relative to other stuff.

"OH NO WORMHOLE OPENING! IT WON'T STOP!"

<insert code to spawn x number every y minutes, wash rinse repeat till dead>

If done, it HAS to be unbeatable, and like you said rewarded based on rank/difficulty/wave count, the deeper you get eventually with everyone getting purples, etc.

Would probably need a one per day or every couple of days boundary for balance, or eventually you'd end up with purples flooding the market. But, the neat thing, is it's always adjusted for relative "max level" -- and toss a difficulty slider on it, too -- then it could be a race for the highest scores. Especially if it had all-time tracking, THAT would be a nice prestige thing. You'd be able to say, "SuchAndSuch is literally the best space driver in STO", and mean it, especially if the scoring accounts for more than just DPS.

Kobayashi Maru circa 2409, anyone?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What if you beat them all ??? =)))

Anyway this is just some kind of raid... you kill opponents again and again then some final enemy. It will appear soon I guess, i read something about Borg queen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    my thoughts exactly and the best bit is its another thing that could be adjusted to suit levels and maybe even a fleet version possibilities endless
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    basically a power levelling mission? defeating the purpose of running actual missions/episodes and reading the content?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Excorant wrote: »

Anyway this is just some kind of raid... you kill opponents again and again then some final enemy. It will appear soon I guess, i read something about Borg queen.

no the intention that i should have made more clear is each wave gets bigger and bigger
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    basically a power levelling mission? defeating the purpose of running actual missions/episodes and reading the content?

more of a sub mission thats optional even with out the xp it would be a good thing to have in the game
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    Like Left 4 Dead 2 survival missions? Hell yes. I'd want both space and ground versions. Shouldn't be all that hard to write, either, relative to other stuff.

"OH NO WORMHOLE OPENING! IT WON'T STOP!"

<insert code to spawn x number every y minutes, wash rinse repeat till dead>

If done, it HAS to be unbeatable.

Kobayashi Maru circa 2409, anyone?

Can we fight against Zombie TRIBBLE, with ray guns?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Excorant wrote: »

No no -- design this to be unwinnable. Kobayashi Maru. They never end. It never stops.

The pay off is leaderboard rewards based on number of waves survived.

And hell, maybe Cryptic can track/webpost automatically all-time, monthly, weekly, daily high scores.

Open this even to Fleet, 5 man, and solo play.

Ground and space versions -- you have any idea how replayable this would be?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They already did this with Champions Online.

there was a unbeatable zombie survival pvp mode.

I want them to do it with borg, so basically you fight to the death against borg and CAN even be assimilated.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Make this a Holodeck Kobayashu Maru scenario, increasingly difficult (and greater quantities of) enemies to infinity, no rewards.

Excellent entertainment and combat training.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can we fight against Zombie TRIBBLE, with ray guns?

I think there is a parallel universe with Zombie TRIBBLE Borg armed with Captain Proton ray guns.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    I think there is a parallel universe with Zombie TRIBBLE Borg armed with Captain Proton ray guns.

If we get to fight them, /signed.:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    maybe even in the process of beating waves you could get points to get addition NPC ships to assist but not to the point of making it a dead even stand off
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaisey wrote:
    maybe even in the process of beating waves you could get points to get addition NPC ships to assist but not to the point of making it a dead even stand off

Sort of like killstreak bonuses in FPS games?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sort of like killstreak bonuses in FPS games?

thats my thinking anything to add? got to get this snow balling perhaps cryptic will make it
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ?signed , because more content is always welcome.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Sign me up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaisey wrote:
    thats my thinking anything to add? got to get this snow balling perhaps cryptic will make it

I'm loving it so far. It's basically an STO reskin of TRIBBLE Zombie mode from CoD: W@W, which is totally awesome. I love the idea of leaderboards on the site, but I would hope that for the proposed Fleet version, that it can include up to 100 players, all in the same fleet, and the enemy spawns were related to that groups size, as it pertains to said leaderboards.

And for the killstreak bonuses, I think we should get some for space and some for ground. For ground, we could call in an Orbital Bombardment, like Kirk did in the TOS, or maybe get a Gorn Canon for 30 seconds, but with unlimited use and a quick recharge.

In space, we could all be given 30 seconds to use the Picard Maneuver to avoid damage, or get temporary uber-buffs to our Warp Cores, giving us 125 power to everything for 1 minute.

These would all be tied to the individual player's performance, with points awarded for killing as well as healing or status effects.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaisey wrote:

Purpose

Reward

20+ waves = 3xp gain

any comments welcome

You don't happen to play LotRO? Because this is essentially the idea behind LotRO's Barrow-Downs-Skirmish. Survive (not waves, but a certain time) and you will be rewarded accordingly. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Spectre23 wrote:
    You don't happen to play LotRO? Because this is essentially the idea behind LotRO's Barrow-Downs-Skirmish. Survive (not waves, but a certain time) and you will be rewarded accordingly. :)

cant say i ever tried it i got me idea from playing star trek online and thinking the fleet actions are easy what could make them tougher so brain stormed an got no where then got on TRIBBLE zombies lol and haypresto thread created. And its something the devs could develop into a marketing feature of the game and just produce many posibilities like monthly changes or objective orientated and so forth
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well,well, what if i already got what i wanted? I got my T5 ship , all of my weapons and consoles are mk X and a purple torpedo launcher. Basically i don't need anything else unless they implement mk 11 uber rare stuff, lol.
    The idea of PvE grouping is alright, though. A kill quota collection system with unique item rewards that cannot be looted by other means is what i am looking for.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sath wrote: »
    well,well, what if i already got what i wanted? I got my T5 ship , all of my weapons are mk X and a purple torpedo launcher. Basically i don't need anything else unless they implement mk 11 uber rare stuff, lol.
    The idea of PvE grouping is alright, though. A kill quota collection system with unique item rewards that cannot be looted by other means is what i am looking for.

thats a hope i have if its this is realised that you will be able to get things that are hard to get and what ever else the devs can think of
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sath wrote: »
    well,well, what if i already got what i wanted? I got my T5 ship , all of my weapons and consoles are mk X and a purple torpedo launcher. Basically i don't need anything else unless they implement mk 11 uber rare stuff, lol.

Scoring and standing (see my post #2 about persistent scoring), and they can offer alternate rewards. "Do you want this or this?" ala mission completes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    Scoring and standing (see my post #2 about persistent scoring), and they can offer alternate rewards. "Do you want this or this?" ala mission completes.

Qauntum slip stream drive would be a nice winnable
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sounds good to me. I'm in favor of anything that can add fun/variety to the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dev response to idea would be nice to get cryptics views on the matter
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaisey wrote:
    dev response to idea would be nice to get cryptics views on the matter

Yeah. This is like the textbook of mini-game that has epic replayability, especially if it's made for

Solo ground
    Group ground
    Fleet ground
    Solo space
    Group space
    Fleet space

Track the scores, ramp up the rewards based on depth of survival...

Let us do each category once per day and I'd do at a minimum the solos daily, and the others whenever I could. The only way to win being to get onto the scoring leaderboards...

...and they should totally track to top 1000, at least. I'd be trying hard to top score ground, myself, and would even spec for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    Yeah. This is like the textbook of mini-game that has epic replayability, especially if it's made for

Solo ground
    Group ground
    Fleet ground
    Solo space
    Group space
    Fleet space

Track the scores, ramp up the rewards based on depth of survival...

Let us do each category once per day and I'd do at a minimum the solos daily, and the others whenever I could. The only way to win being to get onto the scoring leaderboards...

...and they should totally track to top 1000, at least. I'd be trying hard to top score ground, myself, and would even spec for it.

Think of the accolades it could yield and the titles could even have two different names Koybiashi maru for the feds N something like Halls of Kalas for klings
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is a cool idea.. I hope one of the devs read this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaisey wrote:

I would prefer to request a mission called "to the pain."