Install Arc
Options

1% of the population are admirals

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    dmckey wrote: »
    I bet they're including the gold spammers in the calculations.

This

Weed out all the Gold Spammers and the number of RA's will most assuredly leap past the 50% mark.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Doomicile wrote:
    This

Weed out all the Gold Spammers and the number of RA's will most assuredly leap past the 50% mark.

I would guess around the 38 to 42% range.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd say 10% now. Close to 30 by the two month mark and over half by the 3 month mark.

So far looking just as predicted.

No diversity. No need for diversity. Everyone is a god. You can not lose sans the CE.

I have a hunch Cryptic will ultimately remove the skill cap so the annihilation of gameplay/balance will be complete.

No risk all reward. Missions copy/paste. Subscribers leaving en mass while not many are coming in. (Trekkies more or less with a decent pc have the game at this point)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MooseOfWoe wrote: »
    I'd say 10% now. Close to 30 by the two month mark and over half by the 3 month mark.

So far looking just as predicted.

No diversity. No need for diversity. Everyone is a god. You can not lose sans the CE.

I have a hunch Cryptic will ultimately remove the skill cap so the annihilation of gameplay/balance will be complete.

No risk all reward. Missions copy/paste. Subscribers leaving en mass.

well death is coming with will offer for more reward if you take it on.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CDR_Mat wrote:
    Oh my... you must be that 1 of 5 in the top 30 players he was talking about.

Considering it only takes about 30-40 hours to reach RA5 fromn LT1, it's even faster with a few good friends instead of the inept away team crew members. If you only play 2-6 hours a day that can be in roughly a week, which includes reading and doing every mission presented to you. ;)

In any case, that 1% figure made me cringe even if it was only some random guess he made on the game. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All of the guys in my Team Speak are RA5... One guy almost has his second RA5.. That 100% of the players that I play with that are RA5...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    well death is coming with will offer for more reward if you take it on.

I'm not that optimistic.

It should never have gotten to this point of laughable, chimpanzee/kindergarten IQ required repetitive and you must always win game play.

Scan these 5 objects. Shoot these 3 small ships, another 3 small ships, this cruiser, and this battleship. Don't worry, you can't lose no matter how dumb your methods are.

Explore strange new worlds where every random mob of 5-8 random critters guarding a plant, pillar, tombstone, etc. wants your head.

I can't justify playing a game where you can't lose and all but 2-3 missions in the game boil down to the same thing.

If Cryptic does the right thing and puts measures in the game to encourage thought, tactics, TEAMWORK in an MMO of all things, then more power to them.

I already canceled my lifetime sub so when the 30 days are up, that's it. I'll pop in to see if things have changed in a couple months but I'm not holding my breath per this company's track record.

BTW: Highlights of this game

The Guardian
    Crystalline Entity
    State of Q - Which, ironically perfectly summarizes the majority of missions in the game. Kill this ship. Do it again. Do it AGAIN with more feeling! At least it has amusing narrative, however.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think the posts in here are seriously out of touch with reality.

30-40 hours to RA5 from LT1? Not for your average player, not even close.

I'd be surprised if we were even at 5% admirals at this point.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:

We can not possibly know without real statistics but my *opinion* is that there are not a ton of admirals.

Maybe 8-9% but thats a total guess.

This based mostly on the above explanation which seems pretty logical, and the amount of admiral tier vs other tiers of ships I see out there.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm not that optimistic.

I'm sorry that you are not optimistic. but the fact remains, MMO change. I was there when SWG shut down to bring up the NGE. and let me tell you from the day it was brought back online to this day, it has changed ten fold. fact is MMOs grew and get better.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:

Cryptic has said it only takes 80 hours to get to RA5. If you started on HS Jan 29th, that's only a few hours of gameplay a day to make RA5 by now.....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    I'm sorry that you are not optimistic. but the fact remains, MMO change. I was there when SWG shut down to bring up the NGE. and let me tell you from the day it was brought back online to this day, it has changed ten fold. fact is MMOs grew and get better.

You say it got better, I say it got exponentially worse.

That's the only direction I see this going. I hope I'm wrong. I want STO to succeed, but I don't know if it can and have not seen enough from the Devs to warrant faith.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree. I'm just not seeing anywhere near the volume of admirals, and not just RA5's. RA1's for instance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You say it got better, I say it got exponentially worse.

That's the only direction I see this going. I hope I'm wrong. I want STO to succeed, but I don't know if it can and have not seen enough from the Devs to warrant faith.

well SWG added a lot of things back that was taken away. sure it is still over run by jedi kids, but they added expertise points, beast master, and now a new city attack system. sure it is an opinion, but you can't dismiss that it has grown since NGE was launched.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mrlee95 wrote: »
    Cryptic has said it only takes 80 hours to get to RA5. If you started on HS Jan 29th, that's only a few hours of gameplay a day to make RA5 by now.....

I think the silent majority of non-forum going players (those with jobs, families and other hobbies) are not spending even a few hours of gameplay a day. These casual players are usually playing around 5-6 hours a week, and regard 10 hours in a week as a really heavy week.

At 5 hours a week, they wouldn't hit RA for 4 months.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    well SWG added a lot of things back that was taken away. sure it is still over run by jedi kids, but they added expertise points, beast master, and now a new city attack system. sure it is an opinion, but you can't dismiss that it has grown since NGE was launched.

Didn't it also eliminate player cities, flush crafting down the toilet, and make everyone a Jedi wannabe/destroy the community?

I might be wrong about the player cities. Can't recall but I seem to remember them disappearing. o_O
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Didn't it also eliminate player cities, flush crafting down the toilet, and make everyone a Jedi wannabe/destroy the community?

I might be wrong about the player cities. Can't recall but I seem to remember them disappearing. o_O

The Holo-grind pretty much destroyed the community.

Point of order, the game was dying before the combat upgrade. It was losing subs at an exponential rate. The idea that the CU or NGE "killed" STO are a bit off. They were more like the effects of the game losing subs, and not the overall cause. In the end, they only hastened the loss of subscriber base, but SWG would've been where it ended up either way.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

no no no it had a hose clean up, and this was after NGE. it was a good thing it cleaned up the worlds. crafting has gotten a lot better after the NGE nerf. people can now make their own stat weapons, and other things. yes there are alot of jedi, but most are noobs so they were easy to kill. as for the community well they are haning in their. Bloodfin, bria, starsider, and one of the euro servers was bursting at the seams when i left there. they also closed down some of the smaller servers, and offered free moves. I miss karui.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    no no no it had a hose clean up, and this was after NGE. it was a good thing it cleaned up the worlds. crafting has gotten a lot better after the NGE nerf. people can now make their own stat weapons, and other things. yes there are alot of jedi, but most are noobs so they were easy to kill. as for the community well they are haning in their. Bloodfin, bria, starsider, and one of the euro servers was bursting at the seams when i left there. they also closed down some of the smaller servers, and offered free moves. I miss karui.

Ah...ye olde days of Bloodfin. Good times.

I had a pitch black wookiee and would crawl around in the dark jumping up at people with a flash of teeth and red eyes. xD

"Oh, the carpet moved!"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What killed SWG was their inept handling of balance.

The robust system was fine. The veriety was fine. Nerfing classes like Driod Engineer who had ONE usefull thing without fixing the buttload of other problems with the class? That wasnt fine.

If they had spent time to actually tweek and fix their system instead of taking a f'ing sledge hammer to it. It would have been fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah...ye olde days of Bloodfin. Good times.

I had a pitch black wookiee and would crawl around in the dark jumping up at people with a flash of teeth and red eyes. xD

"Oh, the carpet moved!"

nice. I will say this. I have had friends come back to the game, who swore they would never touch it again, and they ended up liking the changes that have been made after the NGE nerf. It was hard telling them that I was leaving for my one true SciFi nerd love, Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    That's crazy. I've been playing since headstart, on average about 3 hours a day, and I'm Com 2. With work, paying at least some attention to the wife, and not dealing with kids, that is a serious investment of time.

You rear admirals make me think of the comic book guy from the simpsons. I know that probably isn't fair, but I can't imagine how you got there so fast without being basement dwellers.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone trying to make population deductions based on how many RA5 characters they see in-game are using a totally biased (in the mathmaticaly sense) method of sampling.

The players that have reached RA5 are, by definition, the ones that put in the most playing time, so they will natually be seen more frequently in-game than players who only play a "casual" amount.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:

Um... yes 30-40 hours for LT1->RA5. If we looked only at people who will be here after their included first month runs out I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was more like 10-15%.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Um... yes 30-40 hours for LT1->RA5. If we looked only at people who will be here after their included first month runs out I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was more like 10-15%.

What I'm saying is that while it might be possible to do, the vast majority of players are not going to the cap in 30-40 hours. They're just not.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sorry, but you people are using some seriously skewed numbers.

I play about two hours a night, sometimes 4, and about 5 hours on the weekends. I think I started playing around the 8th.

I'm at Commander 8 , and that's after accelerating my play to do exploration missions between the storyline missions. I have a total of 96 people on my friends list.

By my count, I know one and exactly ONE admiral.

I think a fair number might be 3 to 5%, maybe as high as 8%. But 30% or higher is ridiculous. The two guys I know who grind seriously (6+ hours a day) went from Ensign to Captain in two weeks and are seriously slowing down now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I believe the number.

It's probably something like:
    1% are Admirals
    19% are level 1-39
    80% stopped playing

I'm sure they're counting it as 1% of all accounts, even the people who haven't logged in within the last 5 days and will probably never log in again. My guild seems to have a lot of those now. In my guild, admirals are probably 10% of the total population, but we're 100% of the ACTIVE population. The non-admirals are the people who stopped showing up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slamz wrote:
    I believe the number.

It's probably something like:
    1% are Admirals
    19% are level 1-39
    80% stopped playing

I'm sure they're counting it as 1% of all accounts, even the people who haven't logged in within the last 5 days and will probably never log in again. My guild seems to have a lot of those now. In my guild, admirals are probably 10% of the total population, but we're 100% of the ACTIVE population. The non-admirals are the people who stopped showing up.

QFT

And using those numbers you'd have 1/19 or about 5% admirals. Not a bad guess.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WoW news constantly informs us that of the 11.5 Million accounts / subscribers, some 75% of them never go past level 10 (Source: MMO Report ).

Same would more than likely be applicable to most MMO's... so then the 1% at Admiral would make sense to me when ALL accounts are included.

Hey I've just hit RA1 in the last week myself, and would easily see 20 "others" for each Admiral (going from Zone to Zone)... and while thats not anywhere near 1%, if you factor in those not playing at the time... ...

Just saying that I don't think that the number is totally wrong... just has to be put into perspective maybe...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    part of the wow thing is that you CAN turn off exp so you don't advance...
    why would you do that ?

BG twink guilds
    arena guilds

they want toons in each lvl class
    1-9
    10-19

ect..

also a bunch of the lowbie wow toons are bank bots
    lvl 1 walking talking storage facility