test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

***What Kind of Open World PVP Do You Want?***

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
So what kind of open world PVP do you want? not that hard of a question.

I will start out with my Idea for Open world PVP.

What I think we need is a Covert / Overt system for PVP. ( like what they have in SWG )

it would work out like this.

you would get two options, covert. AKA PVE only, so you will not get attack.

then Overt. where you are flagged for PVP, now if you come across someone who you are flagged to attack, you have the option to try and out run them, or head for them and fight. when you come in contact, you are sent to an instance where it is just you, and the other player.

you could use the files for the planet maps, or deep space encounters as the PVP maps, that way you would not have to make new maps.

this lets the gate camper be happy, and the PVEer not get ganked.

we could also have an option to call for help. ( like POtBS ) so you get attacked, send out a distress call, and you're friends mite join the fight.

any ideas on this, or ideas of you're own?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    to add on to what I said.

if they attack a major planet/ say earth, vulcan or one of the klingon planets. there would be NPCS in that instance, and it would be sent out on a zone wide message about the attack. that way it adds more fun if you come around earth or the others, but would keep single gankers away from the planet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I want missions to go into Klingon space where upon entering I am flagged for PvP DSE. Of course there will need to me some kind of cooldown on entering these to prevent people from ganking you into another DSE encounter after exiting and it will have to mask it as a normal encounter so gank squads don't just wonder around looking for PvP DSEs. This should also count as credit towards your "defending X sector" quests and will encourage people to go after these encounters.

Then have certain "open" worlds on both sides that have PvP objectives. Capture X item and bring it to your base to give a buff to people on that world and have multiple missions that are pve on this world that you can engage in for special items at the risk of being engaged in pvp combat.

Yes, so baicaly I want something I can't have with this current game engine. TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sparquis wrote:
    I want missions to go into Klingon space where upon entering I am flagged for PvP DSE. Of course there will need to me some kind of cooldown on entering these to prevent people from ganking you into another DSE encounter after exiting and it will have to mask it as a normal encounter so gank squads don't just wonder around looking for PvP DSEs. This should also count as credit towards your "defending X sector" quests and will encourage people to go after these encounters.

Then have certain "open" worlds on both sides that have PvP objectives. Capture X item and bring it to your base to give a buff to people on that world and have multiple missions that are pve on this world that you can engage in for special items at the risk of being engaged in pvp combat.

Yes, so baicaly I want something I can't have with this current game engine. TRIBBLE.

well maybe what then need is a world with multiple areas connected to each other for PVP, and have those areas connected to one super instance.

so like you go on the ground batter defending the map, and there is a connection of maybe 10 or more maps on the planet. so when you get to the end of one map it automatically transfers you to then next map. but since it is in a super instance you say in the same group of maps with you're team, so you could call for back up if you needed to.

it can be done, think positive.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No open world PvP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    No open world PvP.

did you read my idea? it would let the PVEers get what they want, and the PVPers go at each other.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sparquis wrote:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=125792

awww cmon I said that lol
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    No open world PvP.

Thats not the question lol
    This is not "would you want open PVP" but rather "What open PVP would you want?"
  • Options
    edited February 2010

sorry I took you're thread idea, and repacked as something that will stick out, just look at the death thread compared to all the other death threads. Sorry. :o
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=125792

awww cmon I said that lol

This is not "would you want open PVP" but rather "What open PVP would you want?"

Huh, you did. I honestly didn't read your idea before posting this but it seems we have very similar idea/. I think open worlds for people to run around on and fight each other for prizes would go a long way into extending the life of this game. I guess it's jus designer common sense, I dunno.

PvP needs a lot of work in this game, but has potential. Part of what we need I think is more things to duck behind during ground combat. Otherwise it's just a game of who can focus fire the other teams people first. Kinda gimpy if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I already made my thoughts clear on what kind of open pvp system I'd love to see, I put alot of work into suggestions I make, link is in my signature :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone ever play SFC3? Enough said.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Chu wrote: »

well for the people who has not played it can you please explain it?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    See I dont even GET the point of having a neutral zone when it was established to end the war and we're AT WAR AGAIN

Thatd be kinda like the DMZ between North Korea and South Korea still being there as a de militarized zone as theyre trading shots across it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    did you read my idea? it would let the PVEers get what they want, and the PVPers go at each other.

I read your idea. I am still against any form of open world pvp.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To me, this is the ideal Open PvP system:

1) An actual Neutral Zone (Sector Block) that's between Federation and Klingon Space, and another between Romulan and Federation space.

Players cannot cross into the other faction, unless it's part of a PvE mission.

2) Planets, Starbases, and Nebulae within the Neutral Zone has both Space and Ground PvP.

3) Space PvP zones are large, with mulitple hiding places that can mask energy signatures, like Nebulas, asteroids, planet poles, and moons.

4) If a player manages to reach the planet, they can beam down in seperate safe zones. In it, they can zone in any direction for to participate in varous terrains. For instance, heading North could take you to the mountains, to the East could take you to a nearby NPC city, or to the south, where there is Ruins (Dungeons), where competitive PvP can occur for rare (or very rare) drops.

5) Planetary control can be by occupation of a Base, where there is a factional bonus. And control of the planet can be shifted to the winning faction for a duration of time.

Zodi-emish wrote:
    What I think we need is a Covert / Overt system for PVP. ( like what they have in SWG )

No offense, this system doesn't work for STO, since the two factions don't mingle inside faction space. Though if Cryptic adds the ability for Romulans to be spies, then it could work for them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It is the question.

"What Kind of Open World PVP Do You Want?"

The kind where no open world PVP happens.

You don't have to agree, but if my opinion's being solicited, I'm going to give it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    I read your idea. I am still against any form of open world pvp.
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    It is the question.

You don't have to agree, but if my opinion's being solicited, I'm going to give it.

Thats still not the question. Im sorry, but your opinion of a open PVP system in general was NOT solicited. Your opinion of WHAT open PVP system would be good was.
    If you arent gonna be on topic can you please go elsewhere? Please do not troll the thread and try to bring it off topic.
    please note this:
    Flaming, Trolling, Spamming
    Posts and/or private messages that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, involve any of the following activities may be subject to an infraction.
    •Creation of disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that derail the thread, insulting other posters, etc.
    Chu wrote: »

Apparently not. I play it - as in still do - so what was that point again?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    It is the question.

would you mind if I ask why?

like why would you mind a system where you could chose if you want to pvp or not? is it not the best of both worlds? ( yes star trek reference for the win ) maybe have the option where they can only go in the areas boarding each empire. or even better hide the ships if you're not flagged for PVP. so they can't see you, and you can't see them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thats still not the question. If you arent gonna be on topic can you please go elsewhere? Please do not troll the thread and try to bring it off topic.

Please do not troll my responses. I was asked what kind of open world pvp I would like to see in the game and I gave my opinion. That is not a violation.

By accusing me of trolling when all I've done is state a simple, respectful opinion, YOU are trolling.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Please do not troll my responses. I was asked what kind of open world pvp I would like to see in the game and I gave my opinion. That is not a violation.

By accusing me of trolling when all I've done is state a simple, respectful opinion, YOU are trolling.

I will say I agree with thi. lets stay on topic.

ZenBrillig would you mind posting why you don't want open world PVP?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    would you mind if I ask why?

like why would you mind a system where you could chose if you want to pvp or not? is it not the best of both worlds? ( yes star trek reference for the win ) maybe have the option where they can only go in the areas boarding each empire. or even better hide the ships if you're not flagged for PVP. so they can't see you, and you can't see them.

Because I believe that the current system of instanced arenas is perfectly adequate (once their bugs are worked out), and I don't think that having the developers work on a new system for PvP is a useful diversion of resources at this time or any time in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Because I believe that the current system of instanced arenas is perfectly adequate (once their bugs are worked out), and I don't think that having the developers work on a new system for PvP is a useful diversion of resources at this time or any time in the foreseeable future.

that is respectable, the question is ( and a dev would need to answer this ) how hard would it be to turn the DSE NPCS. ( who move around) and use that system for PVP? it seems just like a matter of flagging, and a random map being pulled up. I could be wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:

These arenas is the problem, it's too easy to spawn camp and grief players. And the majority of PvPers hate them.

And it's not hard for Cryptic to create an open PvP system, there is already a Ground Open PvP zone, where you compete against Klingons to save People from the Borg. Heck, they are working hard on more Open PvP zones, because people want them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Azurian wrote: »
    These arenas is the problem, it's too easy to spawn camp and grief players. And the majority of PvPers hate them.

And it's not hard for Cryptic to create an open PvP system, there is already a Ground Open PvP zone, where you compete against Klingons to save People from the Borg. Heck, they are working hard on more Open PvP zones, because people want them.

so would you use something like the DSE? or how would you like to see the system work?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I like open-world PVP with the following two conditions. This is all you need for it for to be wildly 100% successful.

The "home" system is safe. A Klingon ship in Sol can't attack Fed ships unless they shoot first. Fed ships can fire with impunity but "flag" for PVP for x minutes if they do fire. Some for Kronos, if Feds go there.

Rest of the world: wide open. But people can opt out of world PVP at will indefinitely.

You guys have fun blowing each other up, I'll be carebaring by, watching the show, taking part only when I feel like it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    I like open-world PVP with the following two conditions. This is all you need for it for to be wildly 100% successful.

The "home" system is safe. A Klingon ship in Sol can't attack Fed ships unless they shoot first. Fed ships can fire with impunity but "flag" for PVP for x minutes if they do fire. Some for Kronos, if Feds go there.

Rest of the world: wide open. But people can opt out of world PVP at will indefinitely.

You guys have fun blowing each other up, I'll be carebaring by, watching the show, taking part only when I feel like it.

So it seems like the flavor is to have DSE type of pvp battles with the option to not join in, so no one is forced to PVP? what about PVP zones?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Azurian wrote: »

Didnt they flip the open PVP switch on at the end of OB? Its not like they CANT do it right?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As long as there is a way to prevent forced PvP I am all for it. Wide Open PvP would allow griefers to start showing their true colors. Also the balance needs much more adjustment before the open PvP system would work.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll just copy and paste the PVP Suggestion I posted from my thread which not many would want to sit down and read all of that, lol.

This issue has been addressed, readdressed then addressed again, Their simply needs to be a decent pvp system in this game, one that has meaning and value, here is my idea that does require a complete redesign of a specific sector.

The neutral zone, Rather then a sector block much like everywhere else, have it as an opened system with interactable planets for missions, space docks. The basic idea is to have objects placed in this open system that attract players of perhaps a specific level (to avoid noobie ganking), which will more then often result in open pvp conflict.

Missions for both federation and Klingon. A zone that is completely controlled by the players is missing in this game, The neutral zone should be the prime area for such a design.

This way the entire area will be one huge 'system' like feature that we see in the game, just with an extended box and more room for expansion and players to hide, such as dust clouds, etc, A pvp system of this scale in this game, I personally would love to see, Neutral zone or not. Though I highly recommend that the Neutral zone be used for it. It's the perfect place and often players such as myself when I first started, will go straight to the neutral zone expecting a large system of unexpected randomised events.

Perhaps adding a new mark system to the game in this area, Which provide a mark of X per kill, you collect say, 10-15 marks of X to hand in for one mark of honor. To keep the area alive for pvp events
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I like the NZ idea. That would work best and feel very trek.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I personally do not want "open" pvp for any reason in areas not so designated. By that I mean, I do not want pvp to be taking place in Sol (for any reason). I do not really wish it to be in sector space outside of the border of the Federation and the Klingon Empire. Should there be PvP in the game...absolutely...just not in areas that you would not normally find it. I currenlty have a bit of an "issue" with the deepspace encounters for PvE in Fed Space but that is just me.

If there is going to be meaningful PvP in this game, it should envolve the capture and holding of territory. That includes space lanes and planets. Those spacelanes and planets should be in the area beteween the neutral zone and Fed/Klingon space. I have some ideas how it could be implemented. I know that it would also work with minimal modification of the current game. It would mean the addition of some tracking systems but most would be fairly simple to set up. Unless something like that is implemented....I just don't wish to see open world PvP.