test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Voice controls

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Controls and User Interface
Does anyone have a success story to tell about voice control? I'm an avid speech recognition software user and would like to delegate some of the more arduous task to voice macros. I can't seem to get them to work on my machine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I found a few threads like this on various forums and people ingame asking so I've made a quick tutorial. If its not enough I can extend it so please just drop a comment if you want a video and more screenshots on there.

http://www.webtechglobal.co.uk/blog/game-reviews/star-trek-online-and-vista-speech-recognition
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i discovered voice command with this game. it is especially useful if you are playing with a xbox controller, as there is never enough primary button to go around and you'll end up using button combo such as select+a. rather than you having to remember what each button combo do, you can just say them aloud.

it is especially useful for these rarely used command like cloak and impulse speed; or commands which dont matter if you had to say something twice before it reacts, like faster, slower, stop, full speed and etc.. (just remember all voice commands take about 1 seconds before the command is performed.)

a tip... dont use voice command that are more than a oen word long. for example, rather than say "energy prset to attack", just set it to "attack".

anyway... which voice recognition software are you using, i am suing the free window xp/vista version. it seem good enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the voiceattack program works perfect, i am handicapped and cant use the KB keys like normal folks, so manuevering the ship/flying with the WASD keys was a bummer/allmost impossible, but with voiceattack it let me fix it so when i say right it turns right , same with left up down and so on., made the game much much more enjoyable.good thing is its only 8 bucks.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ooh, now that is a sweet idea.

I'll be playing with that tonight.

"Brace for Impact!"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well... i must say... using voice recognition for basic command such as "turn right" sure will requires a lot of customization.

considering that every voice recognition software seem to have a build in "global cooldown" of about a second, so it wont be quite responsive.

in addition, it'll require some hardcore AHK script to allow the voice command to perform a held key macro rather than just a press key macro, ie keep turning right key press down rather than press it just once. i dont think any voice recognition software have a build in ability to held keys down.

so i can only say. keep up the good work, or if you find your software lacking in the functions you requires. try downloading these "freeware" programs, with AHK you can macro anythign you care to automate.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fad62198-220c-4717-b044-829ae4f7c125&displaylang=en

and

http://www.autohotkey.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    nope voiceattack its simple no scripting needed , excellent easy program
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh yes very much so.:p

I am using a program called Voice Attack, cost me $8.

Why did I pay when I could have used Windows Speech recognition along with WSR Macros for free?

2 things
    Using voice chat while using voice commands and the ability to use function keys as in ALT F or Ctrl 1.

So I don't have random windows events firing like opening Internet explorer to a "random" favorite because windows though it heard me say "open facebook" while chatting over voice chat.
    So this app only "listening" for the words or phrases you specify.

And secondly I can use the Alt, Ctrl and shift as modifier keys, greatly expanding the commands I can map.

I have not really setup any voice commands for ground yet but I have the following space functions mapped.

Raise Shields = Divert power to shields
    Red Alert = Divert power to weapons
    Fly her apart = Divert power to engines
    Damage report = Divert power to Auxiliary
    Full Impulse = Full Impulse
    Torpedo's High Yield = Torpedo's High Yield
    Rotate Shields = Rotates Shields
    Charge Phasers = use phaser buff
    Punch It = Engage Transwarp
    Onscreen, Acknowledge, Energize = F Key
    Fascinating, Sensors, Scanners = Scanner
    All Stop = Full impulse Off and engines to 0 power
    Evasive = Evasive Maneuvers
    Stellar Cartography = Map
    Hide UI = Alt F12

More to come I am sure, but I am just having a fraking blast calling out commands to my crew.:p
    Much to my my wife's good heart'ed chagrin. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you are saying that voice attack dont have any of the default window coomands. like "start" to start program?

tbh, i am having some little problem with it sometime trying to start stuff in the background, although this can be cnacelled by simply saying "cancel".

btw. the free window voice software can also do button combos, although you'll have to patch it via AHK.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WEII wrote:
    you are saying that voice attack dont have any of the default window coomands. like "start" to start program?

tbh, i am having some little problem with it sometime trying to start stuff in the background, although this can be cnacelled by simply saying "cancel".

btw. the free window voice software can also do button combos, although you'll have to patch it via AHK.

That is the exact problem I was having with WSR and WSRM, Voice attack only listens and executes the commands you create.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the voiceattack program works perfect, i am handicapped and cant use the KB keys like normal folks, so manuevering the ship/flying with the WASD keys was a bummer/allmost impossible, but with voiceattack it let me fix it so when i say right it turns right , same with left up down and so on., made the game much much more enjoyable.good thing is its only 8 bucks.

Hi mate i read youre post and was quite interested.. It appeared to be quite easy to use so i bought it :).
    Problem is i thought it might have been limited being a trial, but i dont think it was. The problem im having is that lest say i call for front shields,

Said: Front
    Keypress: Up Arrow key

But upon saying that it looks like it activates item 0 on the shortcut bar. Any reason that might be happening? If i can get this solved i believe this outta all the voice activation programs i have tried is the easist and best to use with no fuss :)

Regards
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    not sure , i only needed it for the wasd keys.

try a different key word maybe, i had a hard time getting it to recognize the word up, so tried climb and works great.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Saavk wrote: »
    Hi mate i read youre post and was quite interested.. It appeared to be quite easy to use so i bought it :).
    Problem is i thought it might have been limited being a trial, but i dont think it was. The problem im having is that lest say i call for front shields,

Said: Front
    Keypress: Up Arrow key

But upon saying that it looks like it activates item 0 on the shortcut bar. Any reason that might be happening? If i can get this solved i believe this outta all the voice activation programs i have tried is the easist and best to use with no fuss :)

Regards

First make sure the command is mapped to the key in STO. Do you know how to manual keybind? If not look here.
    Second make sure voice attack is hearing you correctly.
    While VA is open say you command and it will give you feedback on what it heard.
    You will also need to train windows on your voice. Look for speech recognition in the control panel and complete the training.
    Drop me a PM if you need more help.:)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok I have almost 40 voice comands set up using WSRM for STO and it works ok. Then I saw this post claiming voice attack can do the combo keys so I gave it a try.

I had the same issue with the combo keys until I set a time for the software to hold the key down. It seems like 00.3 works ok for me, what delay is everyone else using?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I started setting up Voice Attack last night. So far it's working pretty well, but I have a few little bugs to work out. Attached is a list containing of all the voice commands I've set up so far, and a few I still need to fill out. Voice Attack certainly seems to be worth the $8 so far.

Attachment not found.

Oh, and I've been using .5 second button press to make the combos work.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sheldo83 wrote:
    I started setting up Voice Attack last night. So far it's working pretty well, but I have a few little bugs to work out. Attached is a list containing of all the voice commands I've set up so far, and a few I still need to fill out. Voice Attack certainly seems to be worth the $8 so far.

Attachment not found.

Oh, and I've been using .5 second button press to make the combos work.

I tried using the .5 second button press concept a few days ago, but it was glitchy to say the least.

HOWEVER...

He just put an updated version of VoiceAttack up on his website, and it solved EVERY SINGLE ONE of my problems, except for the 'fire all weapons' command. There are 2 new options when you create a command in VoiceAttack now... 'hold key' and 'release key'. So just as an example, I set up the following macros for horizontal vector changes:

"hard to port" - release 'D' key, hold 'A' key
    "hard to starboard" - release 'A' key, hold 'D' key
    "straighten out" - release 'A' key, release 'D' key

So I'm flying along, and I say "hard to starboard" and my ship starts banking to the right. It keeps banking to the right until I either tell it "hard to starboard" or "straighten out". And while VoiceAttack is holding down the 'D' key, every other command continues to work just fine, so I can bank right AND adjust my throttle AND adjust my shields AND kick off Torp High Yield, all at the same time. I added "take us up", "take us down", and "level off" commands for vertical, and now I have an almost 100% voice controllable ship.

The only issue I still have to use the keyboard for is to fire all weapons. Until Cryptic either lets us toggle all of our weapons on/off, or lets us hold the space key down to make weapons repeat instead of having to actually press the key over and over and over again, I don't really see a solution.

With regard to the delay, there is now an option in the main VoiceAttack application options that you can decrease the response time. I decreased mine from 150 to 10 and it responds almost instantly to my voice now.

With regard to complexity, I have just under 100 voice commands I can use to control my ship now, and some are quite complex. For example:

"number one, assemble an engineering team" - activates Engineering Team skill
    "reroute power to the phasers" - does just what it says
    "transporter room, lock on" - just hits Ok when I scan something
    "stand by full torpedo spread" - activates Full Torpedo Spread skill
    "set up emergency containment fields" - activates Miracle Worker skill
    "lay in a course out of the system and engage at maximum warp" - use when prompted to depart the system

Those are just a few examples. I've got tons like that. You just have to speak clearly, and make sure you've trained WVR properly.

And finally, with regard to WVR opening up Internet Explorer right in the middle of a battle, or something stupid like that... that is absolutely not a problem with VoiceAttack. It will do what you tell it to, and ONLY what you tell it to.

All in all, I'm loving VoiceAttack. I would have paid double for it. :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well even at 00.500 second hold I am having trouble with the combo keys. The issue seems to occuer when I am already holding down a key while flying the ship and then issue a voice command. In this case CTRL-1 wil act as 1 even with a 00.500 delay.

I am not looking to fly the ship with voice commands, I want to do that with my hands, but I would like to be able to issue all 30 hotkey commands via voice while doing so. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I see what you're saying. I can't answer that right now. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fangaar wrote:
    Well even at 00.500 second hold I am having trouble with the combo keys. The issue seems to occuer when I am already holding down a key while flying the ship and then issue a voice command. In this case CTRL-1 wil act as 1 even with a 00.500 delay.

I am not looking to fly the ship with voice commands, I want to do that with my hands, but I would like to be able to issue all 30 hotkey commands via voice while doing so. Any suggestions?

that's the same problem that I was running into last night. With some keys it seemed to work fine, others not so much. It was just getting too late (2:30am) to keep working on it. I'll be playing around with it some more tonight too, but there is new DLC for Borderlands that came out today, so I'll be putting some time into that too.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fangaar wrote:

This is true from what i have seen and I know no work around. I use an xbox pc controller and don't use the keyboard much. Am willing to bet the same would happen if you tried that on the keyboard by it self.
    The keyboard would read alt +1 and Ctrl +1 as Alt+Ctrl+1. Not very often a user is pressing Alt+1 and Ctrl + F12 while holding down the d key.
    I have experienced some buggieness when holding down my left trigger( Shift modifier) and game reading my voice command with a shift function.

I use a 0.30 delay on my key presses
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I haven't tried it, but I suppose another option would be to rebind the Ctrl+ and Alt+ to be other keys that don't already have anything bound to them. Anyone tried that yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gentlemen & ladies, I am awed and inspired by the level of geekdom used to achieve this. Bravo sirs, bravo!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, holding down a single ship direction key and hitting CTRL-1 works fine when using the keyboard, but doesn't work with VoiceAttack.

I have already remapped all of my hot-keys to individual keypresses for the WSRM solution. I guess this program still has the advantage of not accidentally activating a program in the background while playing but otherwise works out the same if combo keys still don't work.

I do notice when using just the keyboard if I am holding down 2 movement keys and I then hit a 3rd key it will not work.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Madman13 wrote:
    Ooh, now that is a sweet idea.

I'll be playing with that tonight.

"Brace for Impact!"

Hehe yer, voice commands do sound sweet in principle.

Launch all fighters! target that ship! Fire ALL WEAPONS!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i haven't gotten any voice programs to work with my windows 7 yet but if i can find a way to repeate actions untill i command otherwise my commands will be something like
    "open fire" - fire phasers
    "board them" - launch boarding party
    " unleash hell" - repeatedly activate high yeald torpedo III, actiivate attackpattern alpha, activate fire on my mark, and fire all weapons
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sheldo83 wrote:
    I haven't tried it, but I suppose another option would be to rebind the Ctrl+ and Alt+ to be other keys that don't already have anything bound to them. Anyone tried that yet?

Played with keybinds last night and was able to map all the Ctrl+ and Alt+ powers to otherwise unused keys. Updated the Voice Macros in Voice Attack and everything works wonderfully. I still control weapons and shields with my G13, but just about everything else I do with a voice command. Now I just have to put in a few commands for the ground game and I'll be all set. Really pleased with the way this all turned out.

One thing I learned that I'm not a big fan of is that the Fire All Torpedoes command also drops mines. Never used that command before setting up the voice stuff.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've run into the same issue as few of you others, Using a 0.5 second key press I can activate a skill mapped to CTRL+3 or ALT+3, however when I do so it also activates the skill bound to just "3".

Working on a fix. I'll let you know if I find one.

UPDATE:

Fix Found!

Use the following macro format - for this example we'll use ALT+1

Press ALT
    Pause 0.3
    Press and Release 1 - hold for 0.1 second
    Release ALT

This works Correctly in STO, even when pressing other keys (like turning)

HOWEVER this turns complicated multi power macro sequences into an even more complicated mess because they get so long.... So I ended up also remapping CRT and ALT powers to F1-F10 and Num Pad keys and everything works awesome.

Voice Attack + Auto Hot Key for Autofire is the BOMB!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What is this Auto Hot Key you speak of? Something that can be downloaded?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes
    www.autohotkey.com

Somebody wrote a looping autofire script using it. You turn it on, press the weapon key and it presses it every 0.2 seconds until you shut it off :D

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1561547

No you won't get banned for using it - dev confirmed on another forum post.

That script I was turning on and off with Voice Attack in addition to all my other commands.

HOWEVER: what I eventually ended up doing was simply making a macro inside Voice Attack that when activated initiates continual attack for 20 seconds. I just say "Again" and my gun crews unleash another 20 second wave of fire. :)

That way I activate this one command, it fires, and in the background I add in My Rapid Fire, High Yield, and Attack Pattern commands as it shoots :) And after 20 seconds it just turns itself off unless I restart it - so I don't have to keep telling it to turn off and on myself if I want to not automatically engage at the 10km mark on new targets.

Other Conclusions on Voice Control combat so far:

Basically after testing all this in the Borg Nebula (klingon side) I've come to the conclusion that whole the ship can be entirely voice operated for PvE 98% of the time. And for just cruising through friendly space, it rocks.

For PvP a combination of voice and manual control is optimal for when I just can't click buttons fast enough. Correct pronunciation and clear speaking even when things get hectic is key to make sure the computer understands commands.

Voice command is also probably more appropriate for people flying carriers or cruisers because a BOP /escort turns so fast that being precise with voice commands is more difficult. A lethargic ship with much longer turning times however, plays much more smoothly, because they're usually broadside beamers which don't require maintaining a direct frontal approach.

Aka less time giving voice flying directions, more time/attention actually calling attack/defense skills
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    UPDATE:

Fix Found!

Use the following macro format - for this example we'll use ALT+1

Press ALT
    Pause 0.3
    Press and Release 1 - hold for 0.1 second
    Release ALT

This works Correctly in STO, even when pressing other keys (like turning)

HOWEVER this turns complicated multi power macro sequences into an even more complicated mess because they get so long.... So I ended up also remapping CRT and ALT powers to F1-F10 and Num Pad keys and everything works awesome.

Voice Attack + Auto Hot Key for Autofire is the BOMB!

Fix works great - thanks for posting it!