Install Arc
Options

Bummed out by bad reviews.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Most people out there that buy a game don't totally go on reviews. I bought this game because I like Star Trek and was looking for a replacement for WoW since it is full of greedy little crying kids. After the first hour, I knew that buying this game was not a mistake. My suggestion to people, take a review of a game, crumble it up and toss it in the trash. It is just an opinion and should not keep a person from using their own brain to have their own opinion about a game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Its far to early to review an MMO, they are like wines. They only get better with age.

Also note: Siskel and Ebert gave Terminator 2, two thumbs DOWN. So yeah, don't trust reviewers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One of the biggest issues that this game has/will have with reviews (and, let's face it, an MMO will constantly evolve and no review will be accurate a year from now) is that it's a licenced game. As such, people won't just be looking at things like gameplay/playability, graphics and sound, but the big one: "Does this game feel like (insert licence here)?"

To me, the space missions feel like Star Trek. The general ambiance of the game obviously tries its' best to be Star Trek, even with customisable uniforms (which, to be honest, whilst is a great idea for individuality, isn't that helpful at making people feel like they're a member of a giant coalition of over 150 worlds) and it's a brilliant space MMO. Then, the ground missions. I tried Tabula Rasa on Beta and after launch, and the ground missions in ST:O feel, at least to me, very similar. Unfortunately, I didn't like TR, so I find myself desperately trying to avoid any sort of away mission I get, which is frustrating, as that's half the game.

I know people are ragging on ST:O, and claiming it's "not a WoW Killer". But let's be frank here, ST:O isn't going to kill WoW, nor does it need to. What it needs to be is an enjoyable game that has many people playing it and having fun. From everything I've seen, it achieves that. In my books, despite what reviewers may say, ST:O is a brilliant, fun, and engaging game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Its far to early to review an MMO, they are like wines. They only get better with age.

Also note: Siskel and Ebert gave Terminator 2, two thumbs DOWN. So yeah, don't trust reviewers.

Except in the grand scheme of things, T2 really WAS a horrible movie. Everyone just liked it because it featured Arnie blowing stuff up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Osagasu wrote:
    Except in the grand scheme of things, T2 really WAS a horrible movie. Everyone just liked it because it featured Arnie blowing stuff up.

It also had some of the best special effects done in a movie, which still hold up today, don't forget that. Sure, as a movie it really wasn't anything we hadn't experienced before, but as a special effects showcase? Outstanding.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would like to bring to your attention:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Critics panned it and panned it good, calling it the worst film of 2009 and indeed possibly the worst film ever.

Most of Micheal Bay's films do get panned by critics, yet they make hundreds of millions of $$$.

Yet, even after being panned by critics, 75% of people really enjoyed it.

My point is - if you enjoy sto - to hell with what others think.

BTW - I in no way endorse films by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich.

:D:D:D

OMG - I couldn't type that without larfing - Of course I endorse both of those action film genius'.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The only review that matters is your own, no magazine or website can tell you how you are going to feel about anything.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As many of you know STO is having a lot of trolls and World of Warcraft players causing trouble on STO. Has anyone else notice this besides me?

There are many them giving bad reviews on website for STO, like on Amazon.com. Lets show support and give good reviews instead. Try giving STO Five Stars.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Critics panned it and panned it good, calling it the worst film of 2009 and indeed possibly the worst film ever.

Most of Micheal Bay's films do get panned by critics, yet they make hundreds of millions of $$$.

OMG - I couldn't type that without larfing - Of course I endorse both of those action film genius'.

My all time favorite...Gene Shalit.

This piece of work...all 500 lbs of hair and mustache....panned Man in the Moon (The movie about Andy Kauffman starring Jim Carrey) without having actually seen it. He refused to see it and judge it solely on the fact that he hated Andy Kauffman. He stated this on his news segment. I am sure there's vid of it somewhere...

I wasn't the only one that emailed him asking him what right he had giving that review without having seen the movie....
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Uwe Boll.
    Eh eh... At least the critics are right about him. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Chat wrote:
    Uwe Boll.
    Eh eh... At least the critics are right about him. :p

LALALALALAL, WE CAN'T HEAR YOU
    THIS MAN, HE DOESN'T EXIST!

*whimper* the critics... they can't be right with someone that doesn't exist... nor does anything he's ever made... lalalala
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Osagasu wrote:
    LALALALALAL, WE CAN'T HEAR YOU
    THIS MAN, HE DOESN'T EXIST!
    *whispers softly* Uwe... Boll... Chachachacha!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, the thing about reviews is that they tend be be very subjective.... I dont bother reading them anymore
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Reviewers didn't like Avatar either, but that blew away every other major movie this year put together and multiplied by two.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Chat wrote:
    *whispers softly* Uwe... Boll... Chachachacha!

Chat, you cwazy!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sintar07 wrote: »
    Reviewers didn't like Avatar either, but that blew away every other major movie this year put together and multiplied by two.

You mean last year? Avatar came out in very late 2009. I preferred The Watchmen or the English translation of Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: You are not Alone if we are doing movies for last year.

And if you mean this year, that is simply because Ultramarines isn't out yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ravenstein wrote: »
    You mean last year? I preferred The Watchmen.

And if you mean this year, that is simply because Ultramarines isn't out yet.

Sorry, I keep forgetting it's a new year. But yeah, it did beat everything else out.
    The one I'm looking forward to this year is the other Avatar. Avatar: The Last Airbender. What's Ultramarines? I haven't heard of that yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sorry, I keep forgetting it's a new year. But yeah, it did beat everything else out.
    The one I'm looking forward to this year is the other Avatar. Avatar: The Last Airbender. What's Ultramarines? I haven't heard of that yet?

Ultramarines, a CGI animated Warhammer 40k movie. I am assuming it will be based on the Ultramarines chapter. The screenplay was written by Dan Abnett, author of the exceptional Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghosts series.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ultramarines, a CGI animated Warhammer 40k movie. I am assuming it will be based on the Ultramarines chapter. The screenplay was written by Dan Abnett, author of the exceptional Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghosts series.

Ah. While I'm sure it will be entertaining, I have serious doubts that it'll beat JC's Avatar. Even if it's a good movie. I mean, JC's Avatar did break a billion without much trouble...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah. While I'm sure it will be entertaining, I have serious doubts that it'll beat JC's Avatar. Even if it's a good movie. I mean, JC's Avatar did break a billion without much trouble...

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Take Twilight for example.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Take Twilight for example.

I know that. I was talking pure numbers. Because we were talking about reviewers not liking things that turned out to be really popular.

That being said, I thought Avatar was pretty good. As in on Star Trek's level good.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Movie reviewers have consistently been anti-sci-fi. Nothing new there.

How many science fiction movies have won the Academy Award? (I'm talking about the ones that count, not the award for "best sound" or somesuch.) Seems the "Hollywood elites" always look down their nose at science fiction - probably because they don't get it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Movie reviewers have consistently been anti-sci-fi. Nothing new there.

How many science fiction movies have won the Academy Award? (I'm talking about the ones that count, not the award for "best sound" or somesuch.) Seems the "Hollywood elites" always look down their nose at science fiction - probably because they don't get it.

And even when they think they do, they've always got it wrong. Oh, Hollywood....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I also guess the reason I like STO so much is because I have been underestimating MMOs in general. They all feel fairly simplistic and very lowest common denominator to me and then STOs comes a long where I actually have to move around my enemy to defeat him and that just blew me away.

See, I don't think it's fair that people stigmatize this game. Other MMOs aren't really any better. EVE started with a 6.6 on gamespot and in that game you simply wait to level up your skill (if you have to pay for it, why not just get it instantly! Leveling up without actually having to play the game seems like a massive game design fail to me).

The only games where STO might pale in comparison to are Dragon Age and Mass Effect and those aren't even MMOs. Their mission structure and storytelling put EVERY MMO to shame.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree. The only critic is you. This is the first MMO that I have ever played. I think that every quest is just like being in a star trek episode which is every trekkors dream. The graphics are way better than WOW and Star Wars Galixies. This game is also in it's beginning stages, so as time goes on I don't doubt that content will increase and the game will only get better and better. As far as the Klingon's not having content. If i may offer a theroy. The game developers wanted gamers to get started with the Federation content first, and then move on to the other side of the coin. This way we all can get use to the game play and the leveling and then start playing as klingons.

to Cryptic and Atari i say---Q'pla

"we come to serve"