test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Critical] Bridge officer movement AI.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
This can really slow down a ground mission.

Basically, bridge officers get stuck on everything. 9 out of 10 doors, at least 1 of your BOs will get stuck trying to go through. Your choices are to either let him/her take 5 minutes to figure it out on their own, or go back and "guide" them out whilst risking getting another BO stuck in the same doorway.

In one mission I had the same BO get stuck 7 times running down the same hallway. It was one of these hallways that has the wall braces like this....

[]\\____//[]

Another thing is they seem to be constantly on fire with their own, or my own, plasma fire.

I really feel they should be wearing helmets, and knee / elbow pads sometimes. :mad:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I've experienced the same thing. I had one mission where all the away team members would get stuck in a pit so I started setting a rally point (it was outside). When I got really far from the pit the officers would disappear and they would be back in the same pit. That was one mission I could never finish.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This has been driving me insane the last few days, and I had an idea.

How about some "Formations" for the BO's? If we could throw them into a single file line, then they would be fine with going through doors.

Also, I have noticed it is "running" that causes them to get stuck. For an example, face a wall (or one of those odd shaped halls/doors) hit shift, and try to turn around without getting stuck yourself. When you run, they will try to run too (even if you only hit shift, with no movement.) I have only seen them get stuck, while in "run mode". (Baby steps doesn't seem to effect them, of course you might as well let them do their circular dancing with all the time you would waste walking.) "Middle Run" (Foolish idea btw*) is more of a waste than the walk, and super run is just terrible in the hallways (And with the mentally challenged BOs)

So now, I walk through the "messy stations" as well as those odd doors.

Only thing I can't figure out is when they get stuck in the middle of an open field, they just run around and around and around. TRIBBLE... good thing I got the "short ship"!

(I am sure that will offend someone, so let me call them handi-tards instead. Better?)
    /sarcasm

*Not foolish? Do you spend more time in "super run" or on "middle run"?

In conclusion, I doubt this will be fixed for a long time. It has nothing to do with them getting more money, what are you guys thinking? The only thing they are interested in is their wallet, which is the way a business should be. Of course, you can always (anytime) dispute the charges to your credit card, that can even TRIBBLE them out of a "lifetime" at anytime!

They did not provide the service you paid for, did they? The box says that you have bridge officers, not TRIBBLE. The commercials show you "using" your bridge, not just a fancy screen saver/afk spot. Oh, and they said you would be doing "missions" not "errands" (Fetch me some shield generators fed! Um, how about (@(_! off you lazy *@)!_ there is a WAR going on. Regardless, dispute the bill. That will get Cryptics attention, because it gets their wallets attention. Hell, whenever I mention disputable properties of the bill, a dev/mod is bound to respond. (Because they know it works, try words like "Fraud" and "False Advertising" too) That gets lawyers to pay attention, they like big wallets too :)

I know it can be frustrating when they refuse to help, of course you don't need 10 shield generators. IF you did you could just hail someone passing by for some help.

Relief mission: aka "Exit to Sector" missions. (I would like to see just how many people actually do those...perhaps a thread in the future.)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's especially horrible when you have to walk them down a narrow hallway with weird posts sticking out of the walls. I've actually abandoned a few Genesis missions to avoid dealing with that. I'd prefer my BOs to walk through those things.

Hey after all enemy ships have the ability to fire through and hide inside asteroids

Perhaps a fix of having your BOs respawn near you when you enter combat would help as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's known, acknowledged, and is due to be fixed soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They really need to hurry up and fix this Issue ans it it now starting to be annoying. Both Epsiode missions i have cannot be compleated due my brodge officers getting stuck in the same place all the time :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sometimes they aren't even stuck, they just stop moving. I have to coax them along using move orders. ground combat is already tedious they're on thin ice here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    These issues are location specific due to the terrain (ie there is no code fix that makes it work everywhere). So please report the specific locations that you are having away team problems on and we'll investigate.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

In one mission I had the same BO get stuck 7 times running down the same hallway. It was one of these hallways that has the wall braces like this....

[]\\____//[]

Another thing is they seem to be constantly on fire with their own, or my own, plasma fire.

That would be the "Klingon Base" ground template.

Also, you have no idea how often I light MYSELF on fire with plasma 'nades.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mission "Caves of Fire" (or Cage of Fire,cant remember),RA Mission. They just stop on the Walkways,Rallypoint isnt working most of the Time. Sometimes you have to move each one Meter for Meter until they are following you again. Until they stop again that is. This is,i think,the biggest Bug.

Sizzlechest already said it,those are mostly Klingon Missions. Horrible to navigate sometimes because they get stuck at the Doors. Crates or the like arent much of a Problem,since they jump over those most of the Time.

Im RA5,did all Missions,and those two are the only Bugs/Problems i remember,though you should really look at the first mentioned,and fast.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    These issues are location specific due to the terrain (ie there is no code fix that makes it work everywhere). So please report the specific locations that you are having away team problems on and we'll investigate.

Maybe you can just take a page out of the Dragon Age book and make BO NPCs teleport to player's location if they get beyond a maximum threshold.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

One fundamental problem is that your level design / art team has created quite a few themed areas that have big flangy things sticking out into the pathways at ground level, and particularly surrounding the doorways. In many cases this doesn't make any rational sense, and would be a serious trip hazard in the real world (or on a set). Given that it's not only already done, but apparently part of some warped "In the future, no one trips over things anymore, so we deliberately make unsafe areas" aesthetic, it is really necessary that the NPC pathing be able to handle it in the general case. This shouldn't be a surprise; some of us were bugging this sort of thing quite early in closed beta.

Some sort of detection for "I've been running at full speed with my face into a wall for several seconds now" would seem to be a first step, for instance. There already seems to be some primitive ability to leap over things like rocks on ground missions, but for a game that has so much of its time spend going up and down corridors with angles and flanges, they seem to have little awareness of how to back up and go around obstacles.

A possible simple fix might be to tighten up the spacing of the default W formation your Boffs want to take up, if you're on an indoor rather than outdoor map. A common problem is that you'll go through a door, and the far left and far right Boff will get stripped off on the door frame; you'll then turn the corner in the corridor (let's say to the left), and while the "outside" (right in this case) Boff will recover, the "inside" (left in this case) Boff will not, because they're paying too much attention to your facing (to the left) rather than where they need to go to get to you (back and right, and then left once they're around the corner). While a proper fix to the NPC pathing would be best, if you simply pulled the target locations in toward the center a bit while indoors it would be a problem less often.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

lol, the bots get stuck in every map............at least in my game. On one map the entire team even vanished underground including the ennemies..well i won but it took like 1 hour since i couldnt do anything to participate. The ticket is 10 days old and not even noticed yet so..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I did Caves of Fire last night, and I can attest to the fact that Bridge Officer movement is completely broken on all the platforms. If you are on the cave floor its fine. Also the Pah-Wraith worshipers sometimes knock your Bridge Officers off the platforms killing them in the lava. Since there is no way to get down there and resuscitate them, they stay unconscious for the rest of the mission.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That's probably not going to happen. This problem is literally everywhere. Every doorway, every landscape.. heck, many times my Bridge Officers get hung up on each other, much less the location.

I've had Bridge Officers get stuck in the very first room you beam into on the Azura mission (one of the first ones you receive). There is nothing odd about that room, just something odd about how Bridge Officers attempt to navigate. I have a hunch that if you improve their ability to navigate in general, many of the locations that are giving them problems will no longer do so.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Godeshen wrote:
    Mission "Caves of Fire" (or Cage of Fire,cant remember),RA Mission. They just stop on the Walkways,Rallypoint isnt working most of the Time. Sometimes you have to move each one Meter for Meter until they are following you again. Until they stop again that is. This is,i think,the biggest Bug.

Sizzlechest already said it,those are mostly Klingon Missions. Horrible to navigate sometimes because they get stuck at the Doors. Crates or the like arent much of a Problem,since they jump over those most of the Time.

Im RA5,did all Missions,and those two are the only Bugs/Problems i remember,though you should really look at the first mentioned,and fast.

This mission was NOT fun at all because of the BO's just completely stopping on those walk ways. Even using the command to rally to a position wouldn't work for me. I had to end up soloing the Pah Wraith and her minions which wasn't fun either.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have done all missions and episodes up to RA5 and I can attest to the mounting frustration level in having to do ground missions. It's bad enough that ground missions generated from Explore Cluster missions are boring and repetitive. It is compounded by the fact that your BOff's are usually stuck in doorways and hallway braces.

I will illustrate the problem:

The formation that BO's form when going traversing a hallway is like so:

............... ME................
    ........ O................ O.......
    ....O...........................O....

The problem happens when we go through a doorway with jutting archictecture and the BO's maintain their formation without navigating AROUND the jutting obstacle. Again, I will illustrate:

............ | ...............ME.............|
    ............ |.....O.................. O....|
    ............ |...........................O... |
    ............ |..................................|
    ===== ||..................................||==========
    ........O..|...................................|

The "O" are the BOff's if you can't already tell. In the last diagram you can see that there is one BO that refuses to navigate around the edge of the door that has a jutting edge around the floor or a beam that supports the frame of the door. I have to individually path them around obstacle. Strangely, if I order them to a spot near me, they will run around the obstacle and free themselves. It's like they refuse to break formation unless they are told to go to a specific spot.

If BO's can just form to single file or close their ranks when I am nearing a door frame, it will alleviate most of their pathing problem when going through hallways and doors. Please fix this!

EDIT: BAh my formatiing didn't work after I posted it....the spaces I put in are gone from my illustration :-(
    EDIT 2: I fixed the formatiing of my illustration by adding little periods...damned forum formatting ...sigh
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Godeshen wrote:

Caves of Fire, same issue. Had to solo everything except the last boss (cause that boss nuked me).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cage of fire as well. however, this has to be improved for pretty much any other area. i love the game, but i am so sick of my away team running about and getting stuck (sometimes on nothing and running in place for a moment), or one of them will be staring at a wall a mile away from me like a TRIBBLE.

a lot of the time they'll appear to get stuck on a odd doorway, or sometimes behind objects and crates, and sometimes uneven terrain (like on normal PLANET missions, not like inside a base or whatever). what's worse, they'll sometimes just get stuck on absolutely nothing, with nothing unusual they can get stuck on nearby, and just stand there until i run back to them to get them to follow.

this -really- needs to be revamped... yes, i said revamped.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DickCheney wrote:
    Maybe you can just take a page out of the Dragon Age book and make BO NPCs teleport to player's location if they get beyond a maximum threshold.

THIS!

/10char
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i wanted to throw one more thing out there - one or two of my bridge officers while on an away mission will repeatedly spam the same ability over and over, even when not in combat. like my engineer BO for example, every minute or so he'll spawn a medical generator (which in turn also increases the chance for him to get left behind/stuck in some place).
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Every 10 feet on the ship/starbase maps with those diagonal posts going along the walls, and any doorway that has branching archways coming out of it. Its a huge problem that effects a ton of map templates.

A simple solution would be to give captains a 'site to site transporter' ability that teleports your boffs to you. Give it a 30 second cooldown. Problem solved.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The cage of fire mission was horrible.

Officers stopping on walkways and not moving no matter what i did, then they would suddenly be dead in the fire with no way to rez them. Mission took forever as i basically had to solo it. The only way to get the officers back was to die and respawn, even then they would get stuck 10 meters from the spawn point.

Also they get stuck alot on the base explore missions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If they are too lazy to code some proper AI functionality then they really need to add an automatic teleport. So if the npc's get stuck too far behind you they would automatically teleport right next to your location. This would be the easiest solution and it also makes sense in this because it wouldn't ruin the immersion of the game.
    This needs to be on top of their list and should have been resolved during the beta.