test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic..tap the Mac Market

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Cryptic,

I noticed you have a new tab to "invite friends" on the launch screen for a trial ten days. This is a great idea, which I support...or wish I could. May of my friends who may be interested in playing this game have switched from PC to Mac. STO does not yet run on Mac. Thus, my friends who may be interested, are not.

Anyways, just food for thought. I also have noticed the growing trend in Mac users, as most of my classes have over 1/3 of students using Mac. All to say, get the Mac platform out as soon as you can...and maybe I can send some friends this way.

Sincerely,
Alextar
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    well, you know... the federation is like the military... So maybe they also have a dont ask - dont tell policy...

JUST KIDDING

I agree with you except for i think they have all the subs they can handle at the moment. That there is plenty of things still that havent evolutionized out of beta yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I seriously doubt a Mac version will be introduced as the Mac is not a widely popular choice for gaming.
    Besides, they seem to be struggling with the PC version which needs significant improvement for it to survive.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, all I can say then is:

"I have a dream, where PC and Mac are treated equal, given same opportunities..." etc,etc

For myself, I might eventually get a PC that can play STO with full graphics, however, there are many not so willing to splurge just for a game. I think Cryptic would do well to at least put out a "rough" date when a Mac version would be released to keep them interested.

Alextar
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alextar wrote:
    Cryptic,

I noticed you have a new tab to "invite friends" on the launch screen for a trial ten days. This is a great idea, which I support...or wish I could. May of my friends who may be interested in playing this game have switched from PC to Mac. STO does not yet run on Mac. Thus, my friends who may be interested, are not.

Anyways, just food for thought. I also have noticed the growing trend in Mac users, as most of my classes have over 1/3 of students using Mac. All to say, get the Mac platform out as soon as you can...and maybe I can send some friends this way.

Sincerely,
    Alextar

People play games on Apple computers?

And here II thought that all a Mac was good for was to make you look pretentious while sipping on an overpriced cup of coffee.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    For a platform that only services a little over 3% of the worldwide market (about 6.5% in the U.S.) I doubt they'd work on a dedicated Mac release. Same goes for Linux with a market share a little over 2% (that's desktop PCs, btw).

There are a number of threads here indicating that Bootcamp and other PC emulation solutions are able to run the game, though.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hock a brother up man!!!

I have tried running STO on both Parallels and Boot Camp, through Windows 7 -64 bit, neither work. Always comes up with the same error. Phoned a Mac expert in Texas, repeated the error to him, and he stated it was not a Mac or Windows error, but with the game itself.

The error was, "cannot detect D3D device" or something to that extent.

Anyways, here's for hoping STO has pity on us poor Mac users, the prestigious glowing Apple coffee/tea starbucks boys.

Alextar

P.S. The Mac expert stated my Mac system should be able to run the game 4 times over.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    felstorm wrote: »
    People play games on Apple computers?

And here II thought that all a Mac was good for was to make you look pretentious while sipping on an overpriced cup of coffee.

As opposed to a dirt cheap cup of coffee a year past it's expiry date?

As to the Bootcamp and D3D issue, not sure what's going on there. I'm running Bootcamp, Win7Pro 32bit, and everything's fine (except the nvidia driver from the Bootcamp 3.1 release making inane comments on startup. Reinstalling it fixes that issue reportedly, but I've not got around to it yet). Perhaps you just don't have the right Direct3D/DirectX setup.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What's the problem? I have a MacBook Pro that I play this game on. How you ask? Easy, I created a 100 gig partition on my harddrive using the Bootcamp program and installed Windows7 Ultimate on it. I then used my Mac OS DVD and installed the needed drivers. Now I have Mac OSX Snow Leopard on one partition and Windows 7 Ultimate on the other. It's not emulated, it's the real deal, so I play STO on my Mac... Why don't other people do this?

It's like the thread that's out there talking about playing this game on a Mac and how to do it, etc. What's the point when you can install Windows on a Bootcamp partition and play any PC game on the market?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alextar wrote:
    The error was, "cannot detect D3D device" or something to that extent.

I thought I read somewhere that you can't use the drivers that come with Bootcamp. You have to download the latest Nvidia drivers from their website.

Again, I haven't touched a Mac in over 20 years, but this is what I've heard.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Opaserv wrote: »
    What's the problem? I have a MacBook Pro that I play this game on. How you ask? Easy, I created a 100 gig partition on my harddrive using the Bootcamp program and installed Windows7 Ultimate on it. I then used my Mac OS DVD and installed the needed drivers. Now I have Mac OSX Snow Leopard on one partition and Windows 7 Ultimate on the other. It's not emulated, it's the real deal, so I play STO on my Mac... Why don't other people do this?

It's like the thread that's out there talking about playing this game on a Mac and how to do it, etc. What's the point when you can install Windows on a Bootcamp partition and play any PC game on the market?

WTG Grrlll Geek :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Onyx_PghPA wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that you can't use the drivers that come with Bootcamp. You have to download the latest Nvidia drivers from their website.

Again, I haven't touched a Mac in over 20 years, but this is what I've heard.

Like I said in my post, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my Bootcamp partition and used the Mac OSX DVD that came with my Mac to install the Windows drivers. I do not have a single issue with any program I install on my Windows partition, not one. The drivers that are used are indeed drivers that are out there for the components for a windows machine. You see, now that Intel is making the chipsets for Mac, you no longer have to emulate Windows. Which brings me to my next question: Why would someone bother to pay 2K+ for a pc laptop when they can get a MacBook Pro and have better functionality out of it and have the best of all 3 worlds, Linux included? Afterall Mac OSX has a Linux backend...

I guess it just boils down to the masses simply not knowing? Who knows...
    Silhouette wrote: »
    WTG Grrlll Geek :D

LOL :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As a person who has a happy network at home and work of Apple and PC's I think the OP may be asking for an OS X native install of STO as all current Intel Apple systems can run any popular windows game from their Windows partition..since like Windows runs on...everything now...

As far as seeing Cryptic ever make a OS X port of the game - not gonna happen, Blizzard is the only major game maker that releases their games for both Windows and OS X simultaneously every time and as much as I love STO, Cryptic doesn't have the money filled pockets or development time of Blizzard.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Like I said in my post, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my Bootcamp partition and used the Mac OSX DVD that came with my Mac to install the Windows drivers. I do not have a single issue with any program I install on my Windows partition, not one. The drivers that are used are indeed drivers that are out there for the components for a windows machine. You see, now that Intel is making the chipsets for Mac, you no longer have to emulate Windows. Which brings me to my next question: Why would someone bother to pay 2K+ for a pc laptop when they can get a MacBook Pro and have better functionality out of it and have the best of all 3 worlds, Linux included? Afterall Mac OSX has a Linux backend...

LOL Why would I spend 2k or even 1500 on a mac when I can build a Gaming PC rig for under $800???
    PC is superior because It allows development / third party programs and features. Unfortunately Mac is like a prison only allowing you to install "their software." Plus building a mac is insanely expensive!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    masterawr wrote: »
    LOL Why would I spend 2k or even 1500 on a mac when I can build a Gaming PC rig for under $800???

I got my Mac free through my degree program at Full Sail University, so I didn't pay a penny for it :D
    PC is superior because It allows development / third party programs and features.

Are you serious? That's what makes the PC superior? It's brutally obvious that you know nothing about the development of software/programs as Mac is the platform of choice. At least that's what I'm learning from the developer world at Full Sail. In fact the gaming development studios such as EA, Eidos, Blizzard and many more all develop on a Mac.
    Unfortunately Mac is like a prison only allowing you to install "their software." Plus building a mac is insanely expensive!

Although I'll agree that Mac's are far more expensive than PC's but I'll have to point out that their parts are far more stable than pretty much any PC on the market today. That fact alone makes the investment worth while as you wont have to constantly replace parts and or upgrade. Of course there's folks that luck out or know how to take care of their computers so they don't have to spend tons of cash constantly. The majority of users out there are not at that level, keep that in mind when you read what I'm typing.

As for your comment that Mac's are a prison, only allowing you to install their software, this is one of the most ignorant comments I've read in a very long time. Now that Mac's are manufactured with intel chipsets you can now install Windows on them in what's called a Bootcamp partition. This is not an emulation, this is a true Windows install. I'm currently running Win7 Ultimate on my MacBook and every bit of software I've installed on it works perfectly and flawlessly.

I consider owning a Mac to be freedom allowing the user to enjoy the best of all worlds including Linux as the Mac OSX has a Linux backend. Not to mention the fact that you can easily partition your HD to add a true install of Linux if you wish.

So you see, there is not one reason for me to limit myself to just a PC any longer. Mac provides a freedom of use that's truly universal and nobody, not one person can convince me otherwise. Even if I had unlimited funds to work with, I'd choose Mac as my machine of choice.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Personally I hate macs but there really isnt anything wrong with them. Parts cost more? Probably but a SMART person shops around instead of just grabbing the most expensive thing out there. You dont do that with a PC why would you with Mac?

Also PC is like a prison just as mac is. How many systems you run that dont have the use of Windows or windows products?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Paneth wrote:
    Personally I hate macs but there really isnt anything wrong with them. Parts cost more? Probably but a SMART person shops around instead of just grabbing the most expensive thing out there. You dont do that with a PC why would you with Mac?

Also PC is like a prison just as mac is. How many systems you run that dont have the use of Windows or windows products?

All valid points.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Afterall Mac OSX has a Linux backend...

OSX is somewhat built on BSD, not linux.

That said, I'm running STO quite well on my Macbook Pro. I'm using Bootcamped Win7 Home Premium x64 with the BC 3.1 drivers on this machine:

March '09 15" MBP, 2.66GHz, 8 gigs ram, 2x OCZ Vertex 120 SSD (RAID0 under OSX).

It runs great. It's nice to be able to game without the loud fan noise of my actual gaming PC. The only negative is that the laptop sleeps itself due to heat when I'm running it in clamshell. I little fan propped up behind the laptop on its stand fixed that up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    john_nj wrote:
    OSX is somewhat built on BSD, not linux.

That said, I'm running STO quite well on my Macbook Pro. I'm using Bootcamped Win7 Home Premium x64 with the BC 3.1 drivers on this machine:

March '09 15" MBP, 2.66GHz, 8 gigs ram, 2x OCZ Vertex 120 SSD (RAID0 under OSX).

It runs great. It's nice to be able to game without the loud fan noise of my actual gaming PC. The only negative is that the laptop sleeps itself due to heat when I'm running it in clamshell. I little fan propped up behind the laptop on its stand fixed that up.

yeah well my computer beats the TRIBBLE outta all your geeky computers, so HAH.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alextar wrote:
    Cryptic,

Sincerely,
    Alextar

LoL The whole problem with giving away 5 day buddy keys is you can pretty much beat the game and move on, 5 days is all you need LOL.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well I have a mac book pro, and I run the game, along with many others on bootcamp with full graphics with zero problems at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Two things...
    Alextar wrote:
    Well, all I can say then is:

"I have a dream, where PC and Mac are treated equal, given same opportunities..." etc,etc

Talk to Steve Jobs about that. His company needs to take the first step towards decentralizing its product line. The first step is to make it not illegal to load OSX on a non Apple computer.

The second thing is producing a Mac native version of any software instantly comes close to doubling the cost of a product due to the fact that there is very little congruency between Windows and OSX. Essentially it is like writing two programs that do the exact same thing. However, there is a group of pioneering individuals on this forum making a "wrapper" for STO with some Cryptic developer input. You can find them here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=76799
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Paneth wrote:

*pokes the pile of burned out Apples sitting in the corner with a sharp stick.*

I know from experience that when your Apple is out of date, they make excellent coasters and door stops.

The biggest downside to owning an Apple is that by buying one I'm saying to myself, "I like to throw away money!". I've owned 8 Apples and Macintoshes in varying configurations and I can personally say, that yes, they do crash, yes they do get viruses, and yes they are overrated.

I bought a hefty ATX case back in... 2000. It's held 4 different computers on three different installs of Windows and I doubt I've spent more than 1500$ on all of it over the last ten years. OS included. Hell. I even got cocky and gutted an old Mac Power PC, mounted one of my old systems in it and use it as a dual-boot Linux/Windows box for my step-brother.

Companies and corporations that have lots of capital resources can afford to keep replacing pricey Apple hardware, as they have millions in revenue.

With Apple, you're paying for a name and an image. Otherwise, you'd just get a 500$ gaming box with Win7 on it. Apple has Intel processors in it, why not just buy an Intel box and be done with the Mac middleman?

I will say this about an Apple. If you want to do video and or sound editing, they are second to none. Until it dies a terrible catastrophic death. Then it goes to the recycling center, or sits in the corner of my basement awaiting execution by 8mm Mauser.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm playing it on an iMac 20" right now with no problems under OSX using the fan-created Wineskin port. I have no issues that are noticeable to me and gameplay is smooth. I'm content with it for now though I know others have had issues.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    felstorm wrote: »
    The biggest downside to owning an Apple is that by buying one I'm saying to myself, "I like to throw away money!". I've owned 8 Apples and Macintoshes in varying configurations and I can personally say, that yes, they do crash, yes they do get viruses, and yes they are overrated.

Interesting.

I'll say that is totally contrary to my own experience. I've been using Apple computers for 14 years ... spanning a series of Macintosh computers with a grand total of 0 viruses, 0 hard drive crashes, and an isolated instance of a single piece of bad ram that I bought after market through a third-party vendor. One machine I held on to for nearly 7 years without incident. I've had such reliable performance that I only acquire new machines when the latest version of the Mac OS won't support their aging architecture.

Now my experience with the PC's I've owned has been like night and day. The last one didn't make it 8 months before I got into a string of OS reinstalls and hardware crashes. By the end of the year I'd replaced everything in the case, gave up and declared it a doorstop. Just weird that we've had such opposite experiences.

... unfortunately I've wander ENTIRELY off the OP ... now back to the original point
    Onyx_PghPA wrote: »
    For a platform that only services a little over 3% of the worldwide market (about 6.5% in the U.S.) I doubt they'd work on a dedicated Mac release. Same goes for Linux with a market share a little over 2% (that's desktop PCs, btw).

There's one problem with this info Onyx. Since Star Trek Online is an exclusively online game it doesn't matter what the total instal base is for a given OS. There could be 20 times as many "Thing-a-majigger" brand computers as Macs and PCs combined but if none of them ever get online then they're meaningless as a customer demographic for Cryptic.

When you look at statistics for the online community you turn up 10% Mac (88% PC and 2% other) ... in short Apple's users are spending a disproportionate amount of time online relative to standard PC's. And when you consider that this was just over 5% a couple years ago that means that nearly half of that potential customer base is using two year old or newer machines.

Now this means that opening the Mac market could increase the potential customer base by 11% (10 / 88). {OK, it would be slightly smaller because you'd have to discount the number of users who Bootcamp but most of the stats I've seen on that point to it being only a fraction of Mac users.} A potential increase of 11% strikes me as significant and I think it would be prudent for Cryptic to take a serious look at the possibility.

Of course whether or not they proceed with porting STO to the Mac would depend on two things :
    1. Whether or not Cryptic gives a care to even try and reach those customers (I've tried to argue why they should but inevitably it comes down to the opinions of a the company's leadership).
    2. Whether the cost of porting / recompiling the code exceeds 11% (or whatever the expected gain is assumed) of the initial investment costs. If it's below that threshold it you can reasonably expect to reap more profit per customer, making it a good financial move. If you're above that amount your profit per head drops making it less-profitable than focusing on a single OS, even if it's not necessarily a money looser.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Interesting.

I'll say that is totally contrary to my own experience. I've been using Apple computers for 14 years ... spanning a series of Macintosh computers with a grand total of 0 viruses, 0 hard drive crashes, and an isolated instance of a single piece of bad ram that I bought after market through a third-party vendor. One machine I held on to for nearly 7 years without incident. I've had such reliable performance that I only acquire new machines when the latest version of the Mac OS won't support their aging architecture.

Now my experience with the PC's I've owned has been like night and day. The last one didn't make it 8 months before I got into a string of OS reinstalls and hardware crashes. By the end of the year I'd replaced everything in the case, gave up and declared it a doorstop. Just weird that we've had such opposite experiences.

I have 2 g3's a g4 and 3 1/2 powerbooks that I wish I could say the same about. I dumped thousands into those machines and when stuff did go wrong, and I sent them in for RMA. Apple told me to basically "So sorry, but we no longer service those machines. Kindly go suck an egg. Wanna buy an iPod?"

Apple. It's like a really cool super fast shiny car that you can only drive on 10% of the roads. And when you need an oil change the mechanic is insulted by the mere suggestion that this machine of obviously superior quality should EVER require maintenance. He then slaps you in the face and sues you for damages to his hand.

My "Mac Experience" has been more akin to "The Shining" than the pure bliss that some kitchy ads would suggest. Because, if you use a PC you're an overweight and oh-so-tragically unhip nerdinstein.

Yes. I'm biased as hell. Only because I've been burned by that company not once or twice but eight times.

Apples are rotten.

At least with a PC, and something does go catastrophically wrong, I can get the parts for it in half an hour and have it fixed in less than two.

Mac killed my inner child.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Great idea - though I suspect this will be further down the road (why develop for a market when the game needs more polish for trials).

Anyways, added it to the Ultimate Suggestion Thread:
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2155272#post2155272
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    anyone stupid enough to buy a mac doesnt deserve to play this awesome game. they can just go out and buy a pc. isnt that easier?

thread over.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think they have a lot to work on before they port this over to the Mac platform.

I work and play exclusively on Macs, and am fortunate to be able to play via bootcamp. But really... this game needs to improve A LOT before they are ready to bring in more people.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I personally think it's good the games are not widely released for MAC. It's such a crappy platform, and only for people who like to spend all their money on applications which are available in similiar form for PC - free. Mac-os x is getting worse, and even with their EVERYDAY updates, they can't do much to make it good. Also, their Objective C is so pathetic, that to rewrite STO for MAC would take unreasonable amount of devs time, which I believe should be used to improve PC version. Some companies, previously releasing their apps and games for MAC too, are not doing it anymore, because of constant problems and high costs. And I don't agree with the statement that MAC is getting more popular. It's happening in your class only - typical of young people: he's got one, so I must have one too.

Besides, Cryptic plans on releasing STO for Consoles, so I bet it's their priority now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ignoring all the ignorance in many posts...

While waiting for an official Mac version of STO, just try playing on my Unofficial version... it works pretty good on most Macs so far, and I'm always trying to figure out ways to make it better... and Cryptic has helped making STO work better for people wanting to run on Macs or Linux without having to use Windows.