test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I Dont Want To Die!!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I hear allot of complaints about the lack of a DP...but I have this to say....I LIKE IT THE WAY IT IS! Personally I do everything in my power NOT TO DIE...why? There is no penalty...the reason is simply I prefer to live and find dying a rather big annoyance...but its nice to know that on the occasion that if it does happen(which is less and less as i am learning the game) that I am not heavily penalized for it...for those who want a DP why? Who cares? If you want a DP every time you die pick a random item from your inventory and destroy it! Simple solution eh?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    we all die, but not all of us ever truly live.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The only effect that a death penalty would have on my play is that I'd do the Crystalline Entity a lot less. Other than that, I've not gotten myself blown up yet. Had a few close calls, but aren't close calls great tension builders?

I generally agree with you, though. The act of blowing up is enough to tell me I'm doing something wrong. I don't need any other penalty, because my playstyle naturally predisposes me toward not playing recklessly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree, i play like "fight to live" even though there is no death penalty, heck, the respawn and run back is a pain enough to keep me from wanting to die. Not to mention the embarrassment of being killed.

If there was a death penalty, just imagine how frustrating it would be to die due to lag or other non-player related issue and how much that would suck. :P
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    because having no death penalty makes it seem so pointless. why try hard when i can just win by trying over and over? Wheres the sense of accomplishment?

And your idea of making your own is silly. Its even more fake than having none. There would be no basis of comparison, no worth gained from it that you could take pride in.

In a game where dying matters, if you or someone has an item thats really really hard to get, you know you earned it.

(and yes i know its just a game and none of it really matters at all, but in all games i've ever liked if you keep dying you're punished for it)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yeah, i can live w/out dying:D . what with all i've put into geting where i am now, last thing i wanna do is start over in a light cruiser, and if i should "die" with my Constitution, i'ld be really p!$$3d:mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd say the way to make everyone happy is to allow players to tick off a box indicating they want a DP.

Then if they die in game their account is canceled, all posts removed from the boards, and all data regarding their character wiped. An IP ban might be good to make the game have a "point" too.

Damn carebears.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    For me it's that I don't want to be punished for terrible lag (on my end or Cryptic's, since I live in England).

The number of times I've been rubberbanding through sector space an can't avoid being hit by a deep space encounter, then I cn't even leave before I get ganked by battleships that, for some odd reason, are at the spawn point.

They should let us use "mask energy sig" in sector to avoid deep space ecounters anyway... since it's useless in pvp and pve.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You want to talk about a Death Penalty?

I rarely die or get blown up.

But the other night Im fighting Remuns in a cave system (exploration mission) and just at the end my away team and myself wiped. After all that fighting. They were doing that goofy thing where they turn purple and only the boss can really be hurt. Anyways, they got me good.

And then I had to start way back at the beginning of the cave system. I wasnt going to hike all the way back trying to pull my away team along with their horrible path finding. So I just scrubbed the mission and beamed back up.

That was about 15 good minutes of play time wasted.

Death Penalty? Works as is. :o
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nautuin wrote:
    In a game where dying matters, if you or someone has an item thats really really hard to get, you know you earned it.

And loose said "rare item" after dieing? No thanks. That's what EVE is for (if you're willing to train for three years to get the skills to use rare items)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would like something small like a slight reduction to max hull and crew each time you die, so you could die maybe 5 times or so even and still function ok.

Return to any starbase or base and you go back to normal. Thats not so bad is it? Wouldnt that be much more star trek like? I mean what do they do every time at the end of the episode after heavy damage? they return to starbase!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The real problem with a death penalty is- what would inspire you to 'not die' when there is nothing they can really take from you.

Currency? Currency is worthless right now.
    Your ship? You could insure it I guess, but that means a tonal shift (you pay for your ships!), and it also means a lot of people are going to be undergunned because of a death,or begging other people to get new stuff. would make energy creds worth something,I guess.
    Experience? Just wait until someone loses rank to watch this forums get happy. If they cant delevel, there's really no point to the loss either.
    My favorite suggestion was "you die and the instance resets itself so you're not playing the attrition game", but considering how borked some of the DSE situations are, that could be problematic.

Me, Im still learning various configs and tactics,so I die. I die a lot. Ramming Speed isn't on my hotbar because Id rather learn to recover from certain death then hit my zerg button and sit around for 10 seconds. I'm not missing a DP at all, though I think crew regenerates too fast for my tastes, I never even notice they are depleted.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Its pointless...

I rarely die at all, and when i do, its all 'too bad, 200 people died. Oh well, heres another crew and ship. Go do it again!'

Really, just pathetic that all the tactical aspects of this game are rendered useless because you can zerg it all.

Especially of note are the skills that give bonus to crew regeneration, or replenish dead crew. What use are they? Same with the engineering items that give better life support repairs etc....why bother?

It seems it was designed to have it so dead crew (grey) stay dead and you replenish at starbases or with skills. Yet that doesnt seem to be the way it works. Hell, why the heck do we even have a crew replenishment officer on starbases ?!?!

Without the death penalty, there is NO risk for me at all.

Even in pvp.

Whats the risk involved?It doesnt pull you into the huge combat or the urgent missions as you know...its just fake, its all fake. Theres no real 'oh my god' moment realising your about to blow up. SS Azura. WARP CORE BREACH! OH NO...

wait..i just afk'd 10 mins. Im still here, yet its still saying 'warp core breach imminent' .......

etc.

I just sigh and go 'Yup. Finally' then respawn....

Hell id be happy if they had escape pods launching in the death animation !

Theres just NO risk to star trek online. No challenge. At all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kitsunami wrote: »
    Its pointless...

I rarely die at all, and when i do, its all 'too bad, 200 people died. Oh well, heres another crew and ship. Go do it again!'

Really, just pathetic that all the tactical aspects of this game are rendered useless because you can zerg it all.

Especially of note are the skills that give bonus to crew regeneration, or replenish dead crew. What use are they? Same with the engineering items that give better life support repairs etc....why bother?

It seems it was designed to have it so dead crew (grey) stay dead and you replenish at starbases or with skills. Yet that doesnt seem to be the way it works. Hell, why the heck do we even have a crew replenishment officer on starbases ?!?!

Without the death penalty, there is NO risk for me at all.

Even in pvp.

Whats the risk involved?It doesnt pull you into the huge combat or the urgent missions as you know...its just fake, its all fake. Theres no real 'oh my god' moment realising your about to blow up. SS Azura. WARP CORE BREACH! OH NO...

wait..i just afk'd 10 mins. Im still here, yet its still saying 'warp core breach imminent' .......

etc.

I just sigh and go 'Yup. Finally' then respawn....

Hell id be happy if they had escape pods launching in the death animation !

Theres just NO risk to star trek online. No challenge. At all.

Its a game. Not real life.

What exactly are you wanting? You're ship permanently destroyed if it blows like in EvE?

Or do you want to have to return to starbase after every single mission to replenish crew?

Or do you want to have to start the whole mission over from the beginning?

What? What is it that you actually want? Because none of that stuff sounds very fun to me. Sounds more like a pain in the butt. Especially since you loose crew members (they go black) even if you ship doesnt get blown up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah that crew npc has got to be the STO version of the maytag repairman.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What exactly are you wanting? You're ship permanently destroyed if it blows like in EvE?

Or do you want to have to return to starbase after every single mission to replenish crew?

What? What is it that you actually want? Because none of that stuff sounds very fun to me. Sounds more like a pain in the butt. Especially since you loose crew members (they go black) even if you ship doesnt get blown up.

Seems the anti-death penalty people always jump to these extremes and ignore the completely rational ones like what i suggested.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "I Dont Want To Die!!"

Not married with kids eh? :D
    Nautuin wrote:
    because having no death penalty makes it seem so pointless. why try hard when i can just win by trying over and over? Wheres the sense of accomplishment?

And your idea of making your own is silly. Its even more fake than having none. There would be no basis of comparison, no worth gained from it that you could take pride in.

(and yes i know its just a game and none of it really matters at all, but in all games i've ever liked if you keep dying you're punished for it)

Make it matter. Delete all your stuff when you die or even your char, then you can get that wonderful sense of accomplishment.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Qoojo wrote:
    "I Dont Want To Die!!"

Not married with kids eh? :D

Make it matter. Delete all your stuff when you die or even your char, then you can get that wonderful sense of accomplishment.

LOL yeah keep that straw man argument going its so fresh.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nautuin wrote:
    I would like something small like a slight reduction to max hull and crew each time you die, so you could die maybe 5 times or so even and still function ok.

Return to any starbase or base and you go back to normal. Thats not so bad is it? Wouldnt that be much more star trek like? I mean what do they do every time at the end of the episode after heavy damage? they return to starbase!

But in that example, you died doing this mission, presumably because of difficulty and not a mistake, respawn slightly weaker facing the same foes that just killed you so it's slightly easier for them to kill you again, then you come back weaker still... and so on.

That stops the game being fun for most people but pleases some (particularly winning PvP players) and Cryptic need to please most people in the end.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nautuin wrote:
    LOL yeah keep that straw man argument going its so fresh.

You apparently have no idea what a strawman argument is. Because my reply wasn't close to one.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I went in to this thread hoping this was about Tuvix.

I am the disappoint. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As long as it is possible to get sucked into a Deep Space Encounter while you are AFK and subsequently be killed without even having a chance to defend yourself, I think we are better without a Death Penalty.

I try my damnedest not to be killed whether there is a death penalty or not. Just because some people can't stop themselves from just zerging into the fray every time doesn't mean you need to add a Death Penalty to frag with everyone else.

If you want a Death Penalty impose one on yourself.
    Want Perma Death? Reroll every time you get destroyed.
    Want an experience loss? Stop playing the character for three days every time you get wiped.
    Want equipment destruction? Pick something at random and delete it.

There is no valid reason to add a Death Penalty beyond what we already have and there are plenty of reasons not to.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    siriusds89 wrote: »
    But in that example, you died doing this mission, presumably because of difficulty and not a mistake, respawn slightly weaker facing the same foes that just killed you so it's slightly easier for them to kill you again, then you come back weaker still... and so on.

That stops the game being fun for most people but pleases some (particularly winning PvP players) and Cryptic need to please most people in the end.

First, let me thank you for the rational response!!!

Again, i'm talking a pretty slight reduction to crew and hull. This really only reduces your effectiveness if you're shields are going way down. If thats the case repeatedly, you're probably doing something above your level and it makes sense for it to be very much a pain to accomplish.

I would argue that most deaths are mistakes, in my experience anyway, like straying too close to a group of mobs, or not working together with your teammates.

Edit: On another point, I really think there should be more starbases, like 1 per sector. That would make the pain in the butt not so much a pain either and also make it more star-trek like.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well if we're going to play these black and white arguments. I put forth that they should remove all weapons from NPC's. As you said "Its a game. Not real life." I don't want to have my "playtime" ruined by having to wait for no other reason than to wait. They shouldn't half-TRIBBLE this so called crew DP. It should be either as ONLY YOU stated "loss of ship" or NONE AT ALL. No one here except you has jumped to those extremes. So if you only want to stick with those arguments you should really be asking for them to eliminate NPC weapons as this is "only a game". Some of us enjoy challenging entertainment. Some of us like having to think outside the box. Some of us want something more than just hitting the "I Win" spacebar. So I purpose they stop half-assing it like they're doing and go all one way or the other as you seem to only be able to see this way.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    As long as it is possible to get sucked into a Deep Space Encounter while you are AFK and subsequently be killed without even having a chance to defend yourself, I think we are better without a Death Penalty.

I try my damnedest not to be killed whether there is a death penalty or not. Just because some people can't stop themselves from just zerging into the fray every time doesn't mean you need to add a Death Penalty to frag with everyone else.

If you want a Death Penalty impose one on yourself.
    Want Perma Death? Reroll every time you get destroyed.
    Want an experience loss? Stop playing the character for three days every time you get wiped.
    Want equipment destruction? Pick something at random and delete it.

There is no valid reason to add a Death Penalty beyond what we already have and there are plenty of reasons not to.

:cool:

The same silly response over and over, impose some crazy penalty on yourself.

By this logic all games ever made should have infinite lives, rather than 3-5 lives then a continue, which is a good staple of videogame history.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No matter how hard you think you're trying now, you'd try harder if there were a significant death penalty. That's just the way it is.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zexks wrote: »
    Well if we're going to play these black and white arguments. I put forth that they should remove all weapons from NPC's. As you said "Its a game. Not real life." I don't want to have my "playtime" ruined by having to wait for no other reason than to wait. They shouldn't half-TRIBBLE this so called crew DP. It should be either as ONLY YOU stated "loss of ship" or NONE AT ALL. No one here except you has jumped to those extremes. So if you only want to stick with those arguments you should really be asking for them to eliminate NPC weapons as this is "only a game". Some of us enjoy challenging entertainment. Some of us like having to think outside the box. Some of us want something more than just hitting the "I Win" spacebar. So I purpose they stop half-assing it like they're doing and go all one way or the other as you seem to only be able to see this way.

Well thats an extreme response and the attitude is hardly appreciated.

Im not asking for weapon elimination and you're putting words in my mouth as well which is also not appreciated.

I also enjoy challenging game play.

But again you didnt give a SINGLE reasonable solution to the problem. Fine to flay my post but at least give a solution. You didnt give ONE SINGLE idea in all of that rant. Not one.

So dont be such a smart alek if you cant be constructive in any way shape or form. I could at least take your flaming and sorry attitude if you were going to actually CONTRIBUTE something to the conversation but since you didnt, there's obviously nothing to see here. Thanks for nothing. :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nautuin wrote:

Sorry I didnt read your post earlier. This wouldnt be too bad at all. Works for me just fine. And what about ground? Have any ideas there?

Also, if you die, Id even accept being kicked out of the zone and having to start completely over with all progress lost and all gained XP since the start of the instance taken away. Thats a little extreme maybe but I wouldnt complain.

I would also love a type of massive PvP battle involving systems we have to fight over. And if you are blown up in the engagement? Thats it. You're exited out from the instance and have to wait to get into another battle.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nautuin wrote:
    The same silly response over and over, impose some crazy penalty on yourself.

By this logic all games ever made should have infinite lives, rather than 3-5 lives then a continue, which is a good staple of videogame history.

Is it not sillier to expect that everyone shares your view, and wants what you do? You appear passionate about the subject, and you have the power to inflict as severe of a DP on yourself as you wish, but for some reason you choose not to. I think that says a lot.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well thats an extreme response and the attitude is hardly appreciated.

Im not asking for weapon elimination and you're putting words in my mouth as well which is also not appreciated.

I also enjoy challenging game play.

But again you didnt give a SINGLE reasonable solution to the problem. Fine to flay my post but at least give a solution. You didnt give ONE SINGLE idea in all of that rant. Not one.

So dont be such a smart alek if you cant be constructive in any way shape or form. I could at least take your flaming and sorry attitude if you were going to actually CONTRIBUTE something to the conversation but since you didnt, there's obviously nothing to see here. Thanks for nothing. :mad:

I didn't really feel it was necessary to rehash suggestions that have been posted and reposted ump-teen different times since closed beta. In fact there is a thread that is on the front page nearly every day about this very topic with well over 500 posts full of suggestions. It is also posted in 3 different forums with my comment already included in there. If you really want to see my contributions to the topic at hand do a forum search on the death penalty topic and you will see more than a plethora of idea's submitted and backed up and refuted repeatedly about this.

I apologize if my post came off a bit crass but it irks me to no end to see some people ask for some kind of consequence to their action/inaction only to be met with black and white argument like "go play eve/EQ/Aion" or any of the other hard DP games. Just because some of us want something more than a moral obligation to "play good" doesn't mean we want a Cryptic dev to come shoot your first born every time you die. But anytime anyone asks for anything even a small thing in that direction the first response in nearly EVERY THREAD is "GTFO and go play Eve if you want a DP".

All I ask is that people be willing to see in shades of grey. Just because someone asks for a DP doesn't automatically mean they want to cut your nuts off. They're just asking for the emotional high any human gets when they accomplish ANY feat that takes even the slightest amount of risk (which STO has none of). If you want to see some of the suggestions already put forth on this idea a thousand different times, maybe you should try the search option, they are out there, and in droves.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If a DP is placed in the game I will be avoiding any missions like the Crystaline Entity. I must have blown up 40 times yesterday trying to play in that mission while the screamers kept yelling at the mine droppers and kept telling everyone not to get hit by the large shards.

BTW, if there is a way to avoid getting hit by a shard I am all ears because when they want you they get you. You cannot shoot them down in time on your own nor can you outrun them.