test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A solution to the "lack of content" complaint: the Holodeck

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
This has been said before, but now that the game has officially lauhced, I want to say it again. As many of you know, one of Cryptic's previous MMOs City of Heroes recently released a system that allows players to create their own missions:

http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_info/mission_architect/overview.html

As some may also know, Star Wars Galaxies released a similar system:

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/players/news_archive.vm?id=68457&month=092009

While these systems are certainly NOT, I repeat, NOT a replacement for Dev-made content, they do give players a way to occupy themselves and their friends in the "dry" periods in between new content updates. Players have asked for the holodeck, and that is exactly what this is. You create the story, and then you and your friends play it. If your a really good story teller, then maybe other people will be interested in buying your program on the exchange.

Cryptic already has these tools availible internally; thats how they create the missions we play. Just make them availible to the players to enjoy. The possibilities are endless :o
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I dont care what you all say, this is a really good idea :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It is a really good idea, i wouldn't doubt that it is in the making, but i think it's still to early to release anything like this right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't even know how to get to the holodeck.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would like this too.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Presumably the tools that the STO designers use are external to the game so they'd have to be rewritten to work ingame which sounds like a lot of work, but I hope I'm wrong because I would love this feature. It seems like it could be a solution to a whole range of complaints about the game so I really hope Cryptic are considering this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bejj10 wrote:
    It is a really good idea, i wouldn't doubt that it is in the making, but i think it's still to early to release anything like this right now.

I admit that at "first glance", this seems like the kind of system to add to a game later in its life. However, considering the fact that STO is getting alot of "lack of content" complaints, both from players and reviewers, this might actually need to be something they add early on.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Only if we can do full holonovels, and not just one-offs! Story arcs! I want to be Tom Paris!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Considering most of the missions are modularized anyways, this shouldnt be that hard to implement at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are good chances to get players created content in STO because Cryptic already said that they want it. In this interview for instance, Jack Emmert said :
    - How and when was your MMO engine made and what are its capabilities?

- We created a brand new engine to power Champions Online, Star Trek Online and other projects for the foreseeable future. It's a flexible engine capable of working in multiple genres, but, most importantly, the engine does two unique things:

1) Allows us to create content quickly. Star Trek Online was developed in 2 years.
    2) Is ready for user generated content.

http://www.playhard.ru/Article.aspx?id=3836

Furthermore, I asked him about that during the last chat :
    Guest-1297: Do you want (much later maybe) give the players a tool to create their own stories for the holodeck ?

Jack-Cryptic: Yes.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming/Star-Trek-Online-Live-Chat-Transcript/td-p/91426

A lot of players are worried about the side effect of players created content to the game. Indeed, in COX, a large amount of those missions were XP farming galores used to level up ultra fast and to get rich in no time, destroying both the fun and the economy. Strong anti-farming measures were taken and the game is now slowly recovering. But there is no reason to be afraid of that, because there are many ways to prevent large scale farming. For instance the players created missions could get only moderate XP rewards and only the FIRST players created mission of the day would give you XP. You can play them all day long but get XP only once a day. It's just one example.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Great idea! I'll be back in 2015 when it's implemented.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Architect System very nearly destroyed CoX. Let's see if Jake has learned anything from the errors of his former minions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    The Architect System very nearly destroyed CoX. Let's see if Jake has learned anything from the errors of his former minions.

Even if it didnt grant xp, a "holodeck" would still give players who have already reached the "end game" something to do. It would also allow guilds to create training scenerios for their members, and all sorts of other fun things that dont have to necessarily be tied to xp gain. And SWG had an interesting mechanic where the mission creator could place a reward(from their own inventory) that a person who completed the mission could claim.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:

There are dozens of way to prevent farming, this is not a problem at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Even if it didnt grant xp, a "holodeck" would still give players who have already reached the "end game" something to do.

You can also limit the rewards : moderate XP + only one reward a day for UCC, you can play missions all the day but get the XP only once. Really, farming is not a problem. Besides, they eliminated it in COX eventually. If you read their forums, the players complaining now are the farmers because they can't farm anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    PikeUK wrote:
    Presumably the tools that the STO designers use are external to the game so they'd have to be rewritten to work ingame which sounds like a lot of work, but I hope I'm wrong because I would love this feature. It seems like it could be a solution to a whole range of complaints about the game so I really hope Cryptic are considering this.

Seeing as how this popped up in Cryptic's former MMO, hopefully they designed this one in a way so that it wont be extremly difficult to impliment.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    Only if we can do full holonovels, and not just one-offs! Story arcs! I want to be Tom Paris!

Forget Paris, Dixon Hill FTW :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Forget Paris, Dixon Hill FTW :D

I see your Dixon Hill and raise you a Barclay "Goddess of Empathy".
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:

Ok, if you want to get tough I'll have to bring out the big guns:

*click here*

:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:

I see your Barclay and raise you Tuvok and Seska
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok, if you want to get tough I'll have to bring out the big guns:

*click here*

:D

Bazinga! :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was thinking earlier today, while in Quark's, about how cool it would be if I could do some Holodeck adventures in their suites just for the fun of it - maybe for Exploration Merits or something. I'm all for the idea of adding non-XP related content.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I agree

Its a great fit for STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    Bazinga! :eek:

That pic reminds of a certain song by Jet :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think having a holodeck for user created content is a great idea. I'd love to do some Captain Proton or Dixon Hill missions. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    There are good chances to get players created content in STO because Cryptic already said that they want it. In this interview for instance, Jack Emmert said :

http://www.playhard.ru/Article.aspx?id=3836

Furthermore, I asked him about that during the last chat :

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming/Star-Trek-Online-Live-Chat-Transcript/td-p/91426

A lot of players are worried about the side effect of players created content to the game. Indeed, in COX, a large amount of those missions were XP farming galores used to level up ultra fast and to get rich in no time, destroying both the fun and the economy. Strong anti-farming measures were taken and the game is now slowly recovering. But there is no reason to be afraid of that, because there are many ways to prevent large scale farming. For instance the players created missions could get only moderate XP rewards and only the FIRST players created mission of the day would give you XP. You can play them all day long but get XP only once a day. It's just one example.

Thats really good news! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This has been said before, but now that the game has officially lauhced, I want to say it again. As many of you know, one of Cryptic's previous MMOs City of Heroes recently released a system that allows players to create their own missions:

http://www.cityofheroes.com/game_info/mission_architect/overview.html

As some may also know, Star Wars Galaxies released a similar system:

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/players/news_archive.vm?id=68457&month=092009

While these systems are certainly NOT, I repeat, NOT a replacement for Dev-made content, they do give players a way to occupy themselves and their friends in the "dry" periods in between new content updates. Players have asked for the holodeck, and that is exactly what this is. You create the story, and then you and your friends play it. If your a really good story teller, then maybe other people will be interested in buying your program on the exchange.

Cryptic already has these tools availible internally; thats how they create the missions we play. Just make them availible to the players to enjoy. The possibilities are endless :o

Actually I suspect that Cryptic's mission creation tools are not very user friendly. Since Paragon's devs probably use the same tools and have said that they wished that their tools were as nice as the ones for Architect.

I do agree that User Generated content missions could be quite fun. It would allow the player base to create those missions they seem to want, and to see if other players would like those missions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If you dont care then why did you post it? The system in SWG is garbage anyway, why even use it as reference.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you dont care then why did you post it? The system in SWG is garbage anyway, why even use it as reference.

It was just a little joke that no one had replied to the OP when I posted that. As for the SWG system, I agree it could use some improvement. But the reference is simply to point out other player content systems in other games to give people reading this thread an idea what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Again.

Where's the holodeck?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    CDR_Mat wrote:
    Again.

Where's the holodeck?

Not in game yet, unfortunately :p