Install Arc
Options

Is this it? is there nothing more?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Lord_Q wrote:
    Woah harsh much? i work 6 hours a day play this from anywhere to 6-8 hours a day and sleep the rest. thats how i chose to spend my free time.

Please next time before you get harsh please read the other posts >.<

I don't think it's harsh at all. There are too many threads about this issue. The game has been available for just over two weeks and more content is coming, you will just have to be patient.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    UnknownXV wrote: »
    This much?

8 hours a day isn't a lot. Even if you work full time it can be squeezed in, but a lot of people only work part time nowadays or perhaps had a trust fund setup or got lucky in some other way and have the finances to do it, or perhaps he's a teen.

In any case, a lot in terms of video game playtime is 12+ hours a day. Not 8. That's the commonly accepted marker for competitive gamers anyhow, perhaps for you it's less if you have a full ltime job and other responsibilities too (though I don't see why anyone would want them).

12 is merely a "lot"????

8 is normal?

24 in a day.
    Medically healthy 6-8 hours of sleep a night depending on the person.
    That leaves you 16-18 hours a day.
    Assuming you spend 8-10 a day at work plus traveling to/from work, you're down to 8-10 hours a day.
    You have to spend time getting ready and being hygenic--brushing teeth, showering, pooping, -1 hour *minimum* over the course of a day, down to 7-9 hours.
    Approximately 1 hour eating minimum, 6-8 hours.
    Approximately 1 hour "other" -- reading, e-mail, etc., down to 5-7 hours free time. We're still in the completely normal range here.
    If you're a healthy personality, approximately 1 hour of human face-to-face interaction somewhere along the way as well -- down to 4-6 hours of free time. This one is optional, sad as that is.

So, let's say you physically have only 4 to 7 hours in which you physically can play games if you're a baseline normal healthy gainfully employed Westerner.

How is 8-12 hours of video games daily even slightly normal or possible in this context?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They rushed this thing into release. Understandable. There's a load of good stuff coming soon in the Gaming world. So they want there fanbase fast! Before ppl dont notice its there. I'm sure that they will work on the game soon. In this case all we have to do is give it time. It has everything a great game needs to have. Except for content.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ryan121 wrote: »
    I don't think it's harsh at all. There are too many threads about this issue. The game has been available for just over two weeks and more content is coming, you will just have to be patient.

Which, of course, does not excuses the fact that this game has had the least amount of content @ launch when compared to pretty much every other MMO.

Hell, even Hellgate London had more content.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would definitely flame anyone for complaining about lack of content after putting in 144 hours of play time to a single product.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Minshara wrote: »
    They rushed this thing into release. Understandable. There's a load of good stuff coming soon in the Gaming world. So they want there fanbase fast! Before ppl dont notice its there. I'm sure that they will work on the game soon. In this case all we have to do is give it time. It has everything a great game needs to have. Except for content.

I know you said something here, but I was distracted by your avatar. It's a nipple.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Planet03 wrote:
    Is it just not acceptable for folks to maybe take up another toon? Maybe a different class in the meantime will help. Of course if the Klingon faction had content that would make it even easier. I must be really slow as I am only Lt Com 6 and I feel like it will take me a while to max out. Play X3 for a while. Great game.

Hehe ..I have 5 toons ..3 feds and two klingons. If they ever sell more slots I'll probably buy the ferengi also.

(actually 3 Klingons if you count my fed klink)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ruivo wrote:
    Which, of course, does not excuses the fact that this game has had the least amount of content @ launch when compared to pretty much every other MMO.

Hell, even Hellgate London had more content.

The problem is the game was rushed because it was taking far too long to develop and I know that's not right and i'm not going to defend it but it was either the game got launched in a rush with little content when it did or not launch at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lord_Q wrote:
    So i just hit RA 5 and got my 1st epic anti poloran beam array just now >.<
    Went through ALL current pvp/PVe missions, read all the mission lines, The one with Q brilliant. and we found out the real reason that the rom's home world got destoryed. but...

Now what?

Ive done everything im sick of the pvp, Its just to reaptive and gets to be a bore real fast sigh
    PVE? ive done it all all i can do is the patrol the sector, or the explore missions or the ONLY daily sigh

So my current played time is

6 days 40 mins

The game with headstart came out jan 29th

Thats 3 hours a day O_o in less then 3 weeks im max and out of things to do? lol,

Shame I love this game to danm much to quit and my fleet mates are awsome to boot so yeah ill just have to wait now for more things to do and lvl an alt, and breed tribbles and play with the ship customization till more content comes out :)
    ]

But really? 18 days and im max lvl and ive done everything lol

which is why i prefer sandbox MMO's. there is no quest line that ends. content isnt limited to linear quests. you dont run out of things to do.

it took me 6 months to unlock a jedi in star wars galaxies, another 6 months to make jedi knight, another yr to get flawless pearls, months of work looting skill tapes to make a capped outfit, worked on an ris armor suit for my alt, spent months working on badges, many more months base busting imperials, yrs working on my jetpack, etc etc etc etc. I just never ran out of things to do. I never even got to do space pilot stuff and that alone would occupy a player for yrs just by itself.

had cryptic added in crafting and exploring there would have been some options for those that reach the level cap. but compared to a sandbox game like star wars galaxies, STO is a total joke. one single planet in galaxies is larger than alll the zones combined in this game. its just too shallow by comparison.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    I know you said something here, but I was distracted by your avatar. It's a nipple.

Were there words beside that picture?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I suspect people who burn through content this quickly become discontented. Ha! See what I did there?

I've been playing way more than any normal adult should play any game and I've only made Captain this weekend (and that includes Headstart). So some folks will just be ahead of the curve. Seems Cryptic may be designing this game for people not just gamers. That means a different approach to content and being willing do not worry so much about the end game or the power curve just a month in the game's release...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dont really mind so much that there arent more missions although I would really like more but I just want to see some sort of fleet (guild) content something that a large group can wrap their hands around and go for.

But I'll give it 3 months give or take to see what develps. It comes down to spring for me. bout 3 months spring will be here weather will be nice out if the game has a bit more end game to it I'll play on the weekends. If not well what can I say I'll have more time outside.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    All Hail the TRIBBLE!

On topic. Sooooow many ppl *****in. If you don't like the game don't play it.
    Realize its a MMO. Realize it takes time to evolve. And hope it does.
    Atleast I hope it does.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    12 is merely a "lot"????

8 is normal?

24 in a day.
    Medically healthy 6-8 hours of sleep a night depending on the person.
    That leaves you 16-18 hours a day.
    Assuming you spend 8-10 a day at work plus traveling to/from work, you're down to 8-10 hours a day.
    You have to spend time getting ready and being hygenic--brushing teeth, showering, pooping, -1 hour *minimum* over the course of a day, down to 7-9 hours.
    Approximately 1 hour eating minimum, 6-8 hours.
    Approximately 1 hour "other" -- reading, e-mail, etc., down to 5-7 hours free time. We're still in the completely normal range here.
    If you're a healthy personality, approximately 1 hour of human face-to-face interaction somewhere along the way as well -- down to 4-6 hours of free time. This one is optional, sad as that is.

So, let's say you physically have only 4 to 7 hours in which you physically can play games if you're a baseline normal healthy gainfully employed Westerner.

How is 8-12 hours of video games daily even slightly normal or possible in this context?

you assume everyone has a job ? have you seen the economy lately ? unemployment real figures are about 20%. 1/5 arent working. I myself have been forced into early retirement.

I know lawyers who work at walmart. I know advertising execs who now make minimum wage at a cell phone kiosk in a mall. and those jobs arent coming back
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ryan121 wrote: »
    The problem is the game was rushed because it was taking far too long to develop and I know that's not right and i'm not going to defend it but it was either the game got launched in a rush with little content when it did or not launch at all.

Exactly, that's why i don't bash Cryptic in this matter, i bash Perpetual. Perpetual had the rights for a ST MMO for eight years, and all they came up with was some concept art. Hell, even the Duke Nukem Forever team has done more.

Ergo, CBS got fed up, and sold the ST MMO rights to anyone who could do the game in 2 years. Come Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lord_Q wrote:
    Went through ALL current pvp/PVe missions, read all the mission lines, The one with Q brilliant. and we found out the real reason that the rom's home world got destoryed. but...

Now what?

Ive done everything im sick of the pvp, Its just to reaptive and gets to be a bore real fast sigh
    PVE? ive done it all all i can do is the patrol the sector, or the explore missions or the ONLY daily sigh

6 days 40 mins

Thats 3 hours a day O_o in less then 3 weeks im max and out of things to do? lol,

Shame I love this game to danm much to quit and my fleet mates are awsome to boot so yeah ill just have to wait now for more things to do and lvl an alt, and breed tribbles and play with the ship customization till more content comes out :)
    ]

WOW... dude no offense but thats your fault. I have about 51 hrs into the game (Most time I ever put into a game in 2 weeks). While playing I do a little of all. Main Missions, then go to starbase work on exchange, sorting through inventory, skill updates, Back out to do PvP, Then patrol missions, maybe exploration missions... that fills up my day and Im only a Lt. Cmdr 8 ... so the way I figure I will ALWAYS have content to play.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    8 hours a day is not normal... seriously-perhaps to college students (if you're playing ANY game 8 hours a day in college you got issues in itself) and maybe single guys (and gals) who come home and play just to enjoy a game after work. The bottom line is really this.. How many games (really) take more than 100 hours of gameplay to beat? Not many. I'm only 10 hours into Assasins Creed II and i'm about 30% through from what I understand-so thats about 30-40 hours of gameplay. I beat Dragon Age in 40 hours. So in reality we are complaining that a game has "only" 80 hours of content in it? Really?!

It's been long discussed and understood by most players that compainies can't spend months on content that most players beat in a week. In WoW (the king of all MMO's # wise) I have 2 toons in full T9.5. Now what? PVP? Nope in full Relentless.. How about professions? Nope throughout all my toons I have all profs maxed. Titles? I'm sitting on the "insane" title, not much can be done after that really. I've learned my lesson. Durring that time I alienated friends, family and missed alot of fun for a game. Sure, more content than this game, but it's also been out alot longer. There are always people who rush to get the best for whatever reason-some just enjoy the challenge, most just need some sort of self-worth from a video game. At the end, companies just can't use a team to build stuff that will be run over every week. They are smart to pull back and really make the new content great.

by my math I get maybe 2-3 hours a night to play after my son is alseep and my wife is reading. I'm currently a Commander 1. If there is 80 hours of gameplay and I spend 15-16 hours a week that gives me personally (80/15) leaves me 5 weeks and a few days of content for me to enjoy for my first toon. That's good enough for me.

I have no desire to start a flame war-because I did the same thing in WoW-but if you smash through 80 hours (at minimum) of content in 2 weeks STO has become your job. If that's what you wanna do, have fun-but don't complain (again like I did) that there isn't enough to keep your attention. And really everyone who says 80 hours isnt enough at launch---again I ask find me some normal games that give you 80 hours of straight story... very few will be found. Replay value is something totally different.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you assume everyone has a job ? have you seen the economy lately ? unemployment real figures are about 20%. 1/5 arent working. I myself have been forced into early retirement.

I know lawyers who work at walmart. I know advertising execs who now make minimum wage at a cell phone kiosk in a mall. and those jobs arent coming back

Nice try, http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met=unemployment_rate&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate

And I'm sorry... Really that people are out of work, I lost a (good) job late last year like many people, I found another job in 2 months. Not as good-doesn't pay near as well, but its a job. And Even if you are OFF work, I'm sure you can find something to do wtih your day besides play STO :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    8 hours can be a bit much for anything but then again if it is your recreation and its 8 hours in A day on the weekend what is the harm? No diff than spending 8 hours shopping on a Saturday or 8 hours gardening. Who is anybody to berate a person for enjoying their free time as they see fit. Now 8 hours a day 7 days a week... that is a bit overboard. Still at least try to be concerned for this person's health instead of showing malice towards them. Want to borrow my rose colored glasses? you too need a new perspective. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sevok wrote: »
    I get my math from... math.

If your /played time is 6 days, the game is telling you you've played for 144 total hours. 6 x 24 = 144. If you played for 3 hours every real life day, you would reach 144 hours played in 48 days. The game has not been out for 48 days, therefore, you played more than 3 hours per real life day.

I think the total time spent exploring singularities shrinks down to the absurd... then we need to apply a laplace transform and inflate the flopsibility.... thus getting the end of the world by 2012.. o wait wrong thread...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    really whats it have to do with how much your playing the game per day?

I knew after a couple days that the end game content simply wasnt there. I also dont see any comming.

Dont call it end game content if you like it should be perpetual content missions and dialog with npc's should be a side thing going on not the basis of an mmo.

Missions for me should be what you do when your buddy's arent online and your looking for something to do.

End game or as I like to think perpetual content is stuff you do ongoing from the day you start to the day you no longer want to play the game things that include for some people crafting, or pvp, or working on some large scale ongoing project for a guild, or some sort of ongoing conflict of one side vs another with rewards not just in the form of equipment.

They simply dont exist in the game. The game is fun I enjoy the game thus far but unless there are things on the horizon that are unknown to myself I cant see playing in the long term.

Dont look at my post as much as bashing the game I've had a good time like the game and would like to keep enjoying the game. I figure if I get enough enjoyment out of a game to be equal with the time I spend in a single player game then it was a win and I have but the arguement is simply to continue to pay a monthy sub requires monthy content. It's just the way a game is.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would definitely flame anyone for complaining about lack of content after putting in 144 hours of play time to a single product.

Maybe from a single player game, but an MMO. That is just stupid.

I can`t even imnagine the number of hour I have put in to wow.
    I have 3- 4 chars on 18 days /played, and more on anywhere from 2-10 days.

that`s around 1728 hours for the high lvl char, plus an estimated 600 hours on the rest, and that is being really conservative.

And i`m a solo player, and didn`t even do the raid content.

I did about 100 hours on this game ( CB/OB/Live) and bored out of my mind!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Planet03 wrote:
    Is it just not acceptable for folks to maybe take up another toon? Maybe a different class in the meantime will help. Of course if the Klingon faction had content that would make it even easier. I must be really slow as I am only Lt Com 6 and I feel like it will take me a while to max out. Play X3 for a while. Great game.

Exactly.

I am leveling three toons. I am not bored. But then, *I* am not looking to prove that STO sucks. Though if I was, I might hurry through all content on one toon and then come to the forums to "prove" my point.

Is it March 3rd yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Again if you are bored month 1 you are missing the very fiber of an MMO?MMORPG... The people. Socialize a bit, read the mission prompts, use some strategy instead of zerging, help some guild mates out. ect ect. We have a few in my fleet at admiral and quite bored like you, most are lower levels and having a blast. The admirals made alts and caught up to us and guess what? They are having a blast now as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heliotrope wrote: »
    Exactly.

I am leveling three toons. I am not bored. But then, *I* am not looking to prove that STO sucks. Though if I was, I might hurry through all content on one toon and then come to the forums to "prove" my point.

Is it March 3rd yet?

Wow seriously i go away for a few hours to hang with some freinds and come back to my post here... Do you guys even bother to read the whole thing or do you just skim the dang thing find something you dunt like then its Flame on? ive got 2 alts im working on now 1 kilnk and 1 fedrat both are now LT7, im alos tribble farming, and playing around with the edtiors.

I dunt hate this game in fact I love it. Im not trying to prove anything. i simpely asked is this all is there nothing more?

8 hours a day isnt much timr on anything.... theres 24 hours in a single day and i spend a 3rd of it on here, i spend 6 at work i avg about 6-7 hours of sleep thats 4 hours im not at work, this game or sleeping I do get out.

this game is how i spend my free time just like alot of you spend your free time on this game aswell, maybe not as much as i do but you still spend it here non the less
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gawron wrote:
    Nice try, http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met=unemployment_rate&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate

And I'm sorry... Really that people are out of work, I lost a (good) job late last year like many people, I found another job in 2 months. Not as good-doesn't pay near as well, but its a job. And Even if you are OFF work, I'm sure you can find something to do wtih your day besides play STO :p

oh cmon everyone knows the govt unemployment rate is totally BOGUS.

They only count those who qualify and file for unemployment benefits. once that time runs out you fall off their register and no longer count.

and then there are those who never qualified to begin with.

and of course there are those who are underemployed, meaning they got a part-time job to eat.

do some research and you'll find many sources who consider the real unemployment rate at 20% or higher
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lord_Q wrote:

Now what?

6 days 40 mins

]

Lord_Q wrote:
    Where do you get your math?

18 days since launch = 432 hours
    my game time ='s 145

432 divided by 145 is 2.9 round it up thats 3

3 hours daily O_o
    This is why parents should never let their children drop out of grade school.

Simple math is a must have in most day-to-day dealings in life.

Someone needs to make a motivational poster about this, then run a campaign ad on national TV to help promote learning and staying in school.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You can always be trolled by the fanbois on the forums for posting threads like this..... oh wait!

Good times eh? :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Planet03 wrote:
    yup...8 hours a day...nice...:eek:

Does the OP have a job?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ulfhedjinn wrote: »
    You're no doubt going to be flamed for "rushing" and "powergaming" by people who didn't read your whole post, so to balance it out I'll just say it: Yes, that's it. Most MMOs launch with 200+ hours of content, this one launched with 80.

Now you get to wait until the upcoming content patch, which is conveniently going live after the next billing period.

And here we have yet another Cryptic tactic. Dangle the carrot and keep it JUST out of reach, until the donkeys pay for it. Then they realize that it's rotten. Ah well, they'll forget soon enough and Cryptic will simply rinse and repeat for next billing period...