test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

IknowItsBeenSaidButI'llSayItAgain

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The game still needs a death penalty.

I like the game overall, but every combat mission feels like a no-stakes game. It feels like you sat your six year old brother down, dealt out 5 cards each, and decided to PRACTICE Texas Hold'em poker, there are no stakes. Similarly in STO, the tension is easily relieved because we can respawn X kilometers back without penalty.

It's simply not "on-the-edge-of-your-seat" enough.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    AND! as a bonus suggestion: a Death Penalty debuff could be called "Temporal Loop" which is quite Trek enough to suffice for our "respawn" and a minus X to skills/abilities.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lykotion wrote: »

I like the game overall, but every combat mission feels like a no-stakes game. It feels like you sat your six year old brother down, dealt out 5 cards each, and decided to PRACTICE Texas Hold'em poker, there are no stakes. Similarly in STO, the tension is easily relieved because we can respawn X kilometers back without penalty.

/signed

I agree. Id like at least a small chance of losing a BO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No it doesn't.

NO to DP!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FreyarH wrote: »

strength in numbers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DieScream wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

NO to DP!

Thanks for the meaningful feedback.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

negative ghostrider

if you want a penalty
    you can delete and re-roll or give away 1/2 your stuff or whatever makes you feel like you can enjoy dying more
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    +1

But Crew as intended or bust. It broke teh game!

Heals/Buffs/Debuffs/Tanking all rendered mute by DPS-ZERG!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dont give a TRIBBLE about a death penalty. How is THAT making the game any better?

You already have to go respawn back at the beginning of the area or map when you die. Then you have to fly or run back to where you were.

So its kind of like the death penalty where you have to run to your body in WoW. Except you dont have to worry about 20 mobs being camped on top of you.

Anyways, its fine the way it is. Its not frustrating anyone. A death penalty probably would frustrate a good deal of players if they changed it.

If it aint broke dont fix it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stingray10 wrote: »
    Id like at least a small chance of losing a BO.

God no; that's a backdoor approach to EVE death penalties, which are a literal backdoor of player buggery.

If I spent 5 trillian SP on a bridge offer and leveled them for months, lovingly crafting them with training, promoting them to Commander or Captain (can we even captain them?) and then have 1% chance of permanently losing all that time, money, and work?

God no.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think its a good idea to have some chance of something different happening upon death. maybe nothing happens most of the time but sometimes I loose a bo or a unassigned bo or an inventory item or a mounted ship item. Or a epic looses a state and becomes rare. Or maybe my ship permenantly looses a couple crewmen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    JTR455 wrote:
    negative ghostrider

if you want a penalty
    you can delete and re-roll or give away 1/2 your stuff or whatever makes you feel like you can enjoy dying more

sorry, how does your suggestion fit into the actual framework of an MMO death-penalty suggestion? (I get more high-pitched toward the end of this sentence to imply sarcasm)

I'm not looking for a meta suggestion, ie: delete your character if you die once....we ALL die in an MMO between here and there, the problem is the STAKES...because we ALL lose a hand in poker, but the battle isn't over.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Chuckle.....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And I think it's safe to say that the majority of players are still not on board with the DP from what I'm seeing on the boards, and we're a tiny sliver of the game population.

I bet that if Cryptic actually added a poll to the Launcher and shared the raw results with everyone, the majority would still be against changing the DP.

When this game eventually goes console, as well, the current DP will be fine for them too.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Says the guy who created a repeat post instead of contributing to an existing one, and admitted up front he knew he was doing this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think its a good idea to have some chance of something different happening upon death. maybe nothing happens most of the time but sometimes I loose a bo or a unassigned bo or an inventory item or a mounted ship item. Or a epic looses a state and becomes rare. Or maybe my ship permenantly looses a couple crewmen.

The important thing is that SOMETHING happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Thanks for yet another thread on this. I've posted at length my opposition to your punishment for all idea in several of the many threads made about this issue.

As you are to lazy to post in the identical threads, I'll be too lazy to post yet again why I don't want you dictating that I must be punished in the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The important thing is that SOMETHING happens.

Why?

Until the forums are overwhelmed with "change the death penalty" posts on the level of "THE SERVERS ARE DOWN" posts, it's not broken.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    syberghost wrote: »
    Says the guy who created a repeat post instead of contributing to an existing one, and admitted up front he knew he was doing this.

To Defend: repeat posts get attention around here I've noticed. There is incentive to repetition as well as subsequent posts among those threads that survive prime-time posting periods. I'll repeat the mantra: "Strength in numbers"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To the critics, try to follow my original metaphor. Play poker with your friends with chips (not backed up by money) and then try playing with petty change. See which one is more fun.

Stakes raise the level of tension. A Death penalty adds tension. Therefore........fill it in.....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To Defend: repeat posts get attention around here I've noticed. There is incentive to repetition as well as subsequent posts among those threads that survive prime-time posting periods. I'll repeat the mantra: "Strength in numbers"

Since you admit this is a redundant topic, I fail to see why you'd be insulted people are too tired of repeating themselves as to their reasons. It's all been said.

Now it boils down to yes or no.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:
    Until the forums are overwhelmed with "change the death penalty" posts on the level of "THE SERVERS ARE DOWN" posts, the current death penalty is not broken.

I strongly encourage everyone to save this text and automatically copy/paste it into every new thread on the death penalty topic, as an auto-response to every argument.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Until the forums are overwhelmed with "change the death penalty" posts on the level of "THE SERVERS ARE DOWN" posts, the current death penalty is not broken.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Since you admit this is a redundant topic, I fail to see why you'd be insulted people are too tired of repeating themselves as to their reasons. It's all been said.

Now it boils down to yes or no.

By posting your original response, you admit defeat to your redundancy argument.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stakes raise the level of tension. A Death penalty adds tension. Therefore........fill it in.....

Find us 5,000+ players who want this change--a mathematically significant portion of the game base--and I'll support you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    By posting your original response, you admit defeat to your redundancy argument.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. Did you wish to engage me in a battle of wits? I'm afraid you are quite unarmed!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zilag wrote:

There ARE redundant threads, but those that pop up MOST are not necessarily important to MOST players unless they receive quite a bit of feedback like those topics you've described, and why I wish to contribute with this topic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. Did you wish to engage me in a battle of wits? I'm afraid you are quite unarmed!

You win. I'm not trying for personal attacks, I yield. Only civility please.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

There's a few missions that are kinda wonky on your away team's pathfinding ability, several I wound up completing without any help. The game is at times amazingly easy, I honestly don't see how people have problems with so many missions.

A death penalty would be a non-issue for the players that actually think a little.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There's a few missions that are kinda wonky on your away team's pathfinding ability, several I wound up completing without any help. The game is at times amazingly easy, I honestly don't see how people have problems with so many missions.

A death penalty would be a non-issue for the players that actually think a little.

A valid decree to a topic addressing balancing issues. However, death in an MMO, including this one affects many of us who may...be...too slow to click on that Emergency Power to Shields ability!