Install Arc
Options

This Weekend's Down Time

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Blackrowan wrote: »
    I just wish the home page wouldnt say "Server Status: Undergoing Maintenance" when that is not what is happening, what is happening is the server is down because it crashed. It should just say server is down . It should only say undergoing maintenance when that is what it is doing. Crash does not demand a maintenance message.

It is misleading and imho purposely so.
    y not put the patch in just as u go to lunch. sit around and watch the puter reboot. go smoke a bowl or pull your pud. just stop flooding us with your sobbing :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilElder wrote:
    But you think this is bad? Build a time machine back to when WoW first launched and then get back to me.

Stop saying that, its BS. I played WoW at launch, it had problems and I agree most MMO's do at launch, but it most certainly DID NOT crash as much as STO does.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What happend to this 'Rush Order' they made for more servers? And why is there always an expected 'Unexpected Downtime' at the same time everyday?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HA another crash "err unexpected maintenance"

Bad news: I was a lifetime subscriber

Good news: I paid through PAYPAL and even though the money transferred my STO account hasn't updated at all in the last 7 days despite 2 phone calls to accounts and billing and 3 seperate billing tickets in game. At this point I think I'll be able to get my money back through PAYPAL.

For Cryptic's information, I'd probably be willing to stay for half the money; I'd even let you keep the servers down Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday for all the "unexpected maintenance" your heart desired. Of course I would expect to be able to play whenever I want on the weekend..... you know.... cause I don't have to work and all.

Future tought: I hope when HOLODECK technology comes out, either cryptic isn't allowed to touch it, or they decide ahead of time that it might be popular and devote more than a netbook to process it!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, I've been playing fine the whole time.

*BAM*

Didn't see that coming did you?

Signed,
    -fanboy
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    antilles1 wrote: »
    Stop saying that, its BS. I played WoW at launch, it had problems and I agree most MMO's do at launch, but it most certainly DID NOT crash as much as STO does.

Yes it did. And a few crashes in the past few days? Big freakin deal. It's brand new. Do you not understand this? More people=more stress=more bugs found=more crashes. This bit of downtime is nothing compared to others.

WoW has had major issues the past few months with instances full., crashes, downtimes and lets not get started on patch day. I'll take this hiccup over WoW's BS any day.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    akuthia wrote: »
    Everyone is so freaking funny with their "we want free time" posts. You must not have been around during EQ's time. So let me give you a little idea of what it was like:

EVERY week, was "scheduled" downtime, it was planned to be 4-6 hours. EVERY week. And then, every week, the servers would come up in 6-8 hours, and within 2 hours, CRASH, and be down, for another, 2-4 hours, ans i dont remember EVER getting any sort of "compensation", in fact, it was in their EULA, and im sure STO's "monthly payment does not gaurantee contineous access"

The problem with your logic is that you knew the product wasn't ready for the full version. However, we purchased a product that was made available to the open market, logic dictates that the developers would have made certain it was indeed ready for use. Having the server go down two days in a row on a weekend doesn't make it seem like the product is ready -- nor is it giving us what we have paid for. I wouldn't accept this kind of spotty service from my cable provider -- and the month where I had terrible service during an "upgrade" to the lines, I was given a free month of service. This is a very normal practice and something Cryptic should be doing. I find this really annoying, the weekend is the only time I have to check the game out and its pretty shot now... :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Good post mate , i was there too , and it didnt crash half this much , and the quests worked etc. Some poeple seem to lick TRIBBLE and think there gonna be the dev's best mate , they must get ripped off rotten down the highstreet , either like this downtime or not you are still entitaled to stand up for something your paying for.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilElder wrote:
    Enough is enough. If you don't like downtimes then don't play MMOs. It happens, it happens alot when theyre new. Just wait til the new Star Wars mmo is out - watch the server crashes roll in on that one.

Relax, enjoy the game and have some respect for folks who are doin the best they can to maintain the system. MMOs are far different than solo console and PC games.

But you think this is bad? Build a time machine back to when WoW first launched and then get back to me.

Yes, it is a problem of all MMO. I remeber WoW's launch problems: Devasting high ping-rates, overcrowded starting areas etc- but at least I have never witnessed repeated server crashes...
    Yes again, I know the guys at Cryptic are doing their best, most likely working their butts off (and on a sunday, too!), but the problem remains: It is highly frustrating not being able to play a game I've waited years for!

So everyone working hard at Cryptic: I don't mean to be respectless or dismissive of your work, but get on with your job, because I really really would like to start playing again ... ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Either you're lying about playing during WoW's launch, or you have forgotten all the servers that crashed and remained down for over a week. :rolleyes: You also must not remember crashing every time you looted something. I'm not saying I agree with his excuse, because at this point in the game there should be a company getting launch right. Other companies past mistakes are no excuse for this companies current mistakes.

But WoW did have a pretty bad launch... in many ways worse than this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Then you did not play on Frostwolf, they eventually refunded everyone 3 months worth of gametime because of the horrific lag and constant crashes, noone got more than 4-6 hours max before it would crash or perma crash your computer. Believe me WoW on Frostwolf was hell for 3 months after release.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seriously? This is getting bad...:confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Chekotay wrote: »
    What happend to this 'Rush Order' they made for more servers? And why is there always an expected 'Unexpected Downtime' at the same time everyday?

duh, lunch time ! :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is it just me or what? Out of the dozens of people that are still playing Star Trek Offline, it seems that I am the only one that is ever in the middle of a mission when the server does a belly flop.

Oh wait, it's 2:00 CST, I know I should have seen it coming.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm married and I work so my time allowed for game play is limited to say the least. To make matters worse, I pre-payed for a month (following the free month of course) expecting that these people realized that not only dose Star Trek have one of the largest fan bases in the world but that MMOs are pretty freakin' popular too. I apparently gave far to much credit. Everyone keeps saying, "You should have been there for this game's release" but come on, have we not learned from their mistakes. Apparently not. There is very little point in devoting my one hour a day to a game that is down 45 min of it! I wish I hadn't pre-payed now. :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thing with MMO's (if STO is one) is that any new contender has many others to go up against , so the makers should be prepared , we compare with WoW but that was a way back now , things progress , i cant remember a launch this bad recently to be honest , and ones its up against are more MMO style and alot more to them.

All we ask is this game be at a settled state with content , if they are struggling now then its not looking good is it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilElder wrote:
    Enough is enough. If you don't like downtimes then don't play MMOs. It happens, it happens alot when theyre new. Just wait til the new Star Wars mmo is out - watch the server crashes roll in on that one.

Relax, enjoy the game and have some respect for folks who are doin the best they can to maintain the system. MMOs are far different than solo console and PC games.

I am really tired of the just look at "Insert 10 year old MMO title here" excuse. Look at a few recent MMO's (IE: warhammer, LOTRO) much less downtime then this, complete content at release and a firm focus on performance. Everyone get the buddy key letter asking us to invite more players to this mess?

People making excuses for MMO's are why we get to pay for this kind of TRIBBLE! If the user base would demand release software rather then Beta at release time we would get it. Cryptic is doing all it can alright, to sell more copies, sell cp on their site and make sure they make some money back on this project.

Even upset at the Beta TRIBBLE they sold us, if someone at cryptic would begin to act like the users matter at all and start telling it like it is I could see sticking it out. Its the complete lack of truthful information that drives me nuts!

I would imagine that after the first company screwed this project up there were some stiff constraints set on a launch date. From a business perspective I'm sure cryptic needs the revenue at this point to comfortably go forward, and that's all fine. Acting like things are great, blaming the number of users for the issues while asking a frustrated user base to bring their friends to play is simply disrespectful to their clients.

I would truly like to see Cryptic / Atari decide to get together with the user base and develop this project into the success it should be. Come on cryptic! man up admit the mistakes and lets move on!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    WoW died for me when they removed mobs from the PvP maps. And do you remember the mining node issue where you would get stuck and have to relog? First node you generally find Gnome / Dwarf side, just outside Ironforge. Oh the memories.... If their "Secret Project" happens to be World of Starcraft with decent graphics rather than the bland cartoony ones, I may consider giving it a go :D

But for now... were on STO lets STFU about the nightmare that is WoW.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tadaius wrote:
    I'm married and I work so my time allowed for game play is limited to say the least. To make matters worse, I pre-payed for a month (following the free month of course) expecting that these people realized that not only dose Star Trek have one of the largest fan bases in the world but that MMOs are pretty freakin' popular too. I apparently gave far to much credit. Everyone keeps saying, "You should have been there for this game's release" but come on, have we not learned from their mistakes. Apparently not. There is very little point in devoting my one hour a day to a game that is down 45 min of it! I wish I hadn't pre-payed now. :mad:

Just think how you would feel if you had bought the life time membership.:confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "Unexpected MX"

Wow big shock there...terrible just terrible
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You guys need about $1M of THESE!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Now you can also start to see that theyve made this for consoles as well , if it IS designed for console release one day then we can expect nothing that involving , seems its a lot to expect to even play it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just think how you would feel if you had bought the life time membership.:confused:

He did he got married ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Order and Overnight ship enough parts to build new servers, raid arrays and cooling towers to triple my NETOPS capability:

2 DAYS

completely assemble and sysprep new server farm and prep hardware and software configuration:

2 DAYS

Load system game environment from back-up to new offline servers and prepare them for live operations:

2 Days

once new farm is ready for live, the amount of time it takes to bring the new farm up in place of the current system would be able to be done within 1 of the 3 hour maintenance windows.

The minute I brought my game live and 5 million people melted a server I had scheduled would hold 2.5 million people I would have begun the time line listed above. I would also have been online, cool and stable by last Thursday...

Old equipment would have then been rebuilt tested given a vacation and used for future test ops.

The fact that no real progress towards stability has become obvious has me worried. In the week since live we should have had more than 2 very small patches just to address rubberbanding and lag.. much less that and game bugs.

I understand this game is new, but MMO's are not. I understand other games have had launches that were as bad, but most of those games are years old by now, meaning that is YEARS of experience that could have been used to learn from past mistakes.

It is my opinion that this shouldn't be excusable so easily
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I have the lifetime membership and now wonder if it was the right thing to do!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    rofl for a second I thought this thread was from this weekend.

Stop failing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DrDillyBar wrote:
    You guys need about $1M of THESE!

I use these at work, they rock.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Good grief. I started this game on Friday and have barely gotten out of the beginners quest because of all the unexpected downtime and scheduled maintance. I understand that these games have issues when they first launch but this is one of the worst I've seen for downtime due to crashes.
    And yes, WoW was a PoS at it's launch, but remember it was one of the earlier MMO's. These companies should have learned by now from the mistakes of their predecessors.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Must be a heck of a lunch break if there is no DEVs around to at least pay us the courtesy of saying "We're sorry." Wow, we must be important.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have the lifetime membership and now wonder if it was the right thing to do!

I don't. *pop*