Install Arc
Options

STO Tops the U.K. Charts

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Burtoner wrote: »
    Nope it didnt, I rang GAME up they said it came up today ie Thursday 11th, last week was for USA

Yep, I was in both GAME and Gamestation today and the staff in both places said that the release date for them is tomorrow the 12th Feb and won't have any in until then. Even the GAME website now says 12th feb.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sorry to say pal i got mine form game uk the day before the eu release dont takes game word for it they are abit slow on these things im still waiting for my rifle from them might get it tommrrow
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    deeboboy wrote: »
    sorry to say pal i got mine form game uk the day before the eu release dont takes game word for it they are abit slow on these things im still waiting for my rifle from them might get it tommrrow

I was stood right beside him when he looked it up. I already got my copy from amazon, this is a second copy for someone else i'm after now so there's no rush anyway.

I know people got sent theirs via website orders from GAME when it came out, but they pushed the date back after that initial burst as they only ordered in a normal amount of copies that they would for a Cryptic game, no one expected this company to pull in so many subscribers, great IP or not.

So, as it stands the in store release date is now 12th feb just as it was changed to on the website too http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Star-Trek-Online/~r346071/
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Burtoner wrote: »
    Nope it didnt, I rang GAME up they said it came up today ie Thursday 11th, last week was for USA

Yes, it did. Last week's Tuesday (2nd) was US release. UK/Europe was on the 5th. I got mine online, but I have seen it in HMV and other places on the shelves. So maybe GAME have it wrong, or they just didn't get their stock at the right time, and don't want to be honest in case you go somewhere, like HMV, where they do have it in store.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Paxam wrote: »
    Yes, it did. Last week's Tuesday (2nd) was US release. UK/Europe was on the 5th. I got mine online, but I have seen it in HMV and other places on the shelves. So maybe GAME have it wrong, or they just didn't get their stock at the right time, and don't want to be honest in case you go somewhere, like HMV, where they do have it in store.

Both GAME and Gamestation had the same thing on their computers, we know it was originally released by them on the 5th but they only had a small amount of copies and had to push it back to the 12th when they realised the demand. Have a look at their website if you dont want to take our word for it, they even changed the date there and put it back to pre-order for the 12th http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Star-Trek-Online/~r346071/

HMV was my last option to pick a second copy up for my nephew but unfortunately the store in my area have now stopped stocking PC games. Come to think of it, even GAME have reduced what was a whole wall a few months ago for PC games down to a few shelves.

Not to worry though, they're all getting stock in by tomorrow so can pick him up his copy then.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There were two versions in the UK. The Gold had a date of the 5th but the Standard has a date of the 12th. Not that any of this was mentioned anywhere before hand but I know it from personal experience.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KabaalGen wrote:
    Both GAME and Gamestation had the same thing on their computers

Well, they would do, wouldn't they? Being the same company and all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I got the game online but on the 5th I went into Gamestation and they were selling copies of the game. So today is the release date, tell your GAME branch and your Gamestation branch that they need to get their facts right. Hell, on their websites (and i ordered mine of gamestation), they even say its the 5th and that is applicable to all stores, so they should be able to sell it to you.

Other then that... Is the assumption that Star Trek isnt as big over here as it is in the US relative to the amount of people in the country to the amount of people that watch it? Huge UK Fanbase relative to the size of our country ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    great news, hope the game stays at the top for a long time, it's amazing

anything to beat out that crappy wow! XD
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Congratulations !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    sweet time to add a UK/Euro server!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sunbeamer wrote: »
    i guess that happens because many EU customers bought from UK resellers, cause they're much cheaper.

i paid about 30 euro ordering from UK to germany, the cheapest one in germany demanded 45 euro at the time i preordered.

same here, i checked the horrible prices in germany and quickly decided to buy the digital deluxe edition in uk (even this deluxe edition is in uk cheaper then the basic german verion)
    i saved enough money for 1 month subscription... same with mass effect 2, i bought it in uk and saved a lot of money too --> that one was on top of that chart a week ago!

so its NOT surprising when a new game gets on top of the uk charts within the first weeks

many people are ordering in the uk
    the most common reasons:
    - cheaper intial price of the game
    - no stupid censoring (germany)
    - pre-releases are often available some days earlier
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Comment on orginal post:

Yes, but from what I can gather, a great many can't play the game at the moment....

Not amused, tbh.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rekhan wrote:
    Last week, Star Trek Online was the best-selling PC game in the U.K.! Thanks to all our fans across the Atlantic for your continued support.

Link to the news article.

Yet we get butt ****ed by your server down times... Thanks for valuing us as customers!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah UK rules .... oh wait ..... server maintenance smack bang in the middle of the day over the whole weekend ..... that was well thought out was it not?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rumbleskin wrote: »
    sweet time to add a UK/Euro server!

One server, then you play with people from all over the World. EVE does that and it works well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TBH, I'd rather just have less lag and not get disconnected from the login server every X region changes, than play with people from all over the world.

Plus, I'm not sure how this small number of sector blocks makes it an advantage to "play with people from all over the world".

E.g., just two gold spammers per night for example are enough to spam every player in the world, for a start. (I counted how many I have to ignore each day: exactly 2 at a time.)

E.g., exactly one Obama-birther conspiracy theorist was enough to spam the hell out of a whole sector block yesterday for hours. I did several mission arcs and each time I got out of a system, he was there, relentlessly bleating the same falsehoods. Now I have nothing against the USA as a whole, but your delusional idiots are your problem, not mine.

Plus, with exactly how many people _do_ you play on a regular basis? The Dunbar number for the human brain is approximately 150 people you can actually have a relationship with at any given time. And that includes the RL people. Anything more and some get swapped out and become barely names on a list. Names of essentially strangers. Anyone fooling themselves that they have 2000 friends on some social site or online game, is doing just that: fooling themselves.

But at any rate I do believe that an EU server would make it no problem to interact with as many people as you need to. We have full guilds and global friends in other games with EU servers just fine.

Plus, am I even really playing with people from all over the world in any meaningful way? A smaller group and less instancing every zone, might make it actually more likely to run into someone more than once, and maybe actually get to know them. As it is, yeah, there are probably a few thousand on Sol at any given moment, but only some 40-50 are actually in the same slice of reality that I'm in, and hardly any of those I'll run into ever again. Exactly what is the big advantage?

But in the end it still boils down to my opening paragraph: I'd rather have less lag and disconnects than a huge number of people that I'm not actually playing with in any meaningful way. Just being in the same game and them being in another instance of it, isn't really playing together.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I feel that we all deserve a reward for our commitment... I'm actually considering taking a break already to let them sort the game out.. i know that the initial release on all games can have problems...

But having emergency maintenance right in the middle of prime time euro is starting to get old... I could've been admiral by now... And what with the lack of being able to get into zones smoothly... i actually counted up to 203seconds before i warped out from sol system at 9pm GMT...

So any chance of a euro server?

and in regard to the person who said eve online has 1 server..... system caps are 600-700, try going into jita and tell me what you think of the lag there, also they have pleanty of nodes and constantly monitor the latency and reinforce nodes accordingly...

Maybe the problem with STO is that every encounter is instanced... Eve online is all open combat there is no way that you can stop someone from finding your mission and killing you etc... Having thousands of players all in their own instance has got to increase the stress on the server.

so yeah less rubberbanding and less downtime in my playtime please :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Picard2010 wrote: »
    Good reason to add more servers :)

Good reason to allow players to be able to log in without getting an " you are not allowed to log into this server at this time ' error, while using my Free 30 day pass. That sucks.:(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so will you post " STO tops the MMO left by players list" next week?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    From what I have seen I guess most of the sales must have come from online orders, I have been into four branches of Game, two of Gamestation, one independant game store and two branches of HMV and none of them have STO in stock or any display boxes to indicate the game even exists.

Then again the PC sections of these shops seem to get smaller and smaller every time you look at them, it took the nearest branch of Game over two weeks to have the PC version of Mass Effect 2 on the shelves yet was selling the XB360 version the day it was released.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I saw one box of sto in GAME yesterday.

I guess Pre Orders got it to the top spot and online orders. I don't think many of the shops are stocking it on mass because of the poor reviews STO has.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How about giving us shuttles to say thank you? ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hikariuk wrote: »
    How about giving us shuttles to say thank you? ;)

I'd prefer a refund ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'd prefer a refund ;)

woo fellow sheffield member :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    so will you post " STO tops the MMO left by players list" next week?

Given that more people have left WoW (and been replaced by new player turnover) than are likely to ever buy any other MMO anytime soon, I find that unlikely.

Also, Box copies are usually few on the ground outside of major shopping centres for any release that isnt hyped up by Activision or whatever. GAME are also one of those stores that like to put out like four boxes and keep fifty in the stockroom for some inane reason.

Anyway, Another UK sale for you, my pleasure!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    gibb0 wrote: »
    woo fellow sheffield member :D

*wave* Hi!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sheffielders are big on refunds, I take it. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Still enjoying my copy :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Majic12 wrote: »
    Sheffielders are big on refunds, I take it. ;)

cheeky get hahaha, im gladly enjoying my copy with no chance of a refund. even if i had not enjoyed it i wouldnt have wined like some of the kids on this forum.