test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

DO NOT introduce a Death Penalty!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The game is fine and people are having fun. Some people like pain, but don't inflict a stupid death penalty on every one!

If you want a death penalty just slap your self across the face, because that is what it will feel like..
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Then do you have a suggestion to discourage full impulsing into a fight, dying, and then doing it again until the group is dead?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The game is fine and people are having fun. Some people like pain, but don't inflict a stupid death penalty on every one!

If you want a death penalty just slap your self across the face, because that is what it will feel like..

Here's the flaw with your reasoning.

The game is fun, yes, and it's easy, yes, but if people get bored because you can suicide-suicide-suicide-kill any enemy in the game, they will leave. If they leave, then your game will eventually become less fun after the servers are sold off as refurbished equipment and the Cryptic Studios offices are turned into a boiler room for penny stocks.

And that is why a death penalty is needed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if u want to waste ur time rushing in and taking out 1 at a time and dying each time.. that will take 5 times longer then to just play it safe and take them all on when u have full power... so basicly the death penalty is in the game..it wastes ur time to be stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

The game is fun, yes, and it's easy, yes, but if people get bored because you can suicide-suicide-suicide-kill any enemy in the game, they will leave. If they leave, then your game will eventually become less fun after the servers are sold off as refurbished equipment and the Cryptic Studios offices are turned into a boiler room for penny stocks.

I completely agree with the above, and completely disagree with the OP.

Put it to a vote Cryptic.... easily 80%+ want something other than the reward of a brand new ship 8 seconds after exploding.

Stop rewarding lazy people.

G
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The game is boring. There is no challenge. It's just the same mission over and over and over and over again.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ravenstein wrote: »
    Then do you have a suggestion to discourage full impulsing into a fight, dying, and then doing it again until the group is dead?

Yes, it's called playing the game as intended and not looking for shortcuts.

Besides, this claim is overblown and strawman anyway. There are very very few spots in the game this hold true.

If you rush in with zero concern for dying, you'll be dead before even one mob is anyway. You have 5 groups to kill, each consisting of 3 mobs, that's 15 times you zoom in, die, wait 15 seconds to respawn and fly back. This is faster you say? More efficient? Lol.

Cut the TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

I disagree.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OK, compromise: inflict the Death Penalty on the weak federation, they are afraid to die in glorious battle!

Ok enough role play, seriously, you die in PVP, it's what it is all about. Killing and dieing. Introducing a death penalty for PVP would be pointless.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

The death penalty should not be inmposed in PVP, it would kill the game, excuse the pun.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DieScream wrote: »
    Yes, it's called playing the game as intended and not looking for shortcuts.

Besides, this claim is overblown and strawman anyway. There are very very few spots in the game this hold true.

If you rush in with zero concern for dying, you'll be dead before even one mob is anyway. You have 5 groups to kill, each consisting of 3 mobs, that's 15 times you zoom in, die, wait 15 seconds to respawn and fly back. This is faster you say? More efficient? Lol.

Cut the TRIBBLE.

Agreed. 10charforjustice
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think the death penalty should be a longer respawn timer if nothing else. The respawn timer should get longer and longer if you die quickly in succession.

For example, first death, reset timer 10 seconds. If you survive longer than one minute after respawn then your next death is again 10 secs but if you die sooner than that its 20 seconds and it happens again up to a full minute respawn time max.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The death penalty should not be inmposed in PVP, it would kill the game, excuse the pun.

The onlY death penalty pvp needs is a short respawn timer. Pve needs equipment damage or something. Once your equipment reaches zero it becomes inoperable. Spend credits to ge it repaired. Kinda like gear in World of Warcraft. It would add a needed credit sink.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gildon wrote: »
    I completely agree with the above, and completely disagree with the OP.

Put it to a vote Cryptic.... easily 80%+ want something other than the reward of a brand new ship 8 seconds after exploding.

Stop rewarding lazy people.

G

A death penalty in PVP would be pointless, in PVE I could accept that.

The whole point of playing a Klingon is to PVP, if you inflict a death penalty it would just ruin the pace of PV in this game which is the best I have played so far (LOTRO, SWG, COH, AoC....).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Go play Eve then. You die you lose all your stuff.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

yeah some people are having fun while others arent because to them it doesnt have any meaning. I for one think some kind of penalty will improve the game. Im not talking some serious penatly that take the fun out of it. Maybe something like you go boom and your ships equipment just isnt as good so your max speed, dps, crew are all reduced until you get everything repaired. Nothing drasitc mind you but just enough to encourage people to care that they go boom. Id even like to see only 1 or 2 boffs on an away team and the rest made up of red shirts so we get that classic red shirt deaths. Which should cost you crew if the do die untill you get back to a sb and recruit more. I read a thread where some one suggested have an bonus applied by completing mission with out dying, like a morale bonus for 10 mins or so, or a slight bonus to rewards offered at the end of mission. You go boom you get whats listed as the base reward, you dont go boom you get a bonus. Can you honestly say that these would make the game less fun for you if implemented?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Echostatic wrote: »
    The onlY death penalty pvp needs is a short respawn timer. Pve needs equipment damage or something. Once your equipment reaches zero it becomes inoperable. Spend credits to ge it repaired. Kinda like gear in World of Warcraft. It would add a needed credit sink.

I agree with this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cross82 wrote:
    Go play Eve then. You die you lose all your stuff.

I forgot about EVE, I wonder why. The space combat in this game out strips EVE and SWG.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think what we are seeing is a group of players who have certain expectations of the game that aren't the same expectations as other players. All of these players are playing the same game but each with their own ideas of how the game should be. However, something I think, and this is my opinion, is that everyone should look at why they are even playing the game.

If you love Star Trek, have been a fan of the series, books, comics, movies what not then you should know that just dieing is a penalty itself. That inflicting a DP on players actually detracts from the game. Yet, if you are a hardcore gamer with a perchance for SciFi then maybe this game isn't for you. No harm in that. Part of the Star Trek experience is to hold yourself to a higher standard. If all you are doing is suicide runs and trying to level as fast as you can and get the highest kills, dps, loot etc then you aren't playing star trek you are just playing a game with the name of star trek.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kanid wrote:
    I think the death penalty should be a longer respawn timer if nothing else. The respawn timer should get longer and longer if you die quickly in succession.

For example, first death, reset timer 10 seconds. If you survive longer than one minute after respawn then your next death is again 10 secs but if you die sooner than that its 20 seconds and it happens again up to a full minute respawn time max.

^^I could live with this.

Anything more and your just looking for a way to annoy people and ruin the flow of the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The current PvP set-up is fine for and in th efuture shoul dbe restrcited to duels and team duels. Other than that its pointles and mundane.

Gives us an open, objective based PvP war campaign and within that content, provide some reasonable death consequences...mainly in the form of re-spawn location and maybe a very short timer. Lastly, I'd like to entertain the idea for a maximum number of deaths player can contribute to a conflict area for a period of time. Since its open and not queued, once you've exhausted your lives in that conflit, move on to another until the period ends and then re-enter the original conflict if its still raginga nd you choose to do so.

No need for lost ships, no need for lsot EXP points, no need for a credit dump....just make the defeat matter for the objective based conflict at hand.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

My issue with this (otherwise, good suggestion) is that then you would have to leave the instance, travel across sector space, load into a SB, run to buddy, fix your stuff, zone out, zone to sector, fly back to mission, zone to instance, ....*whew* now I may carry on. No thanks.

If, however, I could pay then and there through my replicator or whatever, I'd be OK with this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In PvP I always considered that the other side scored a point off my death as penalty enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Damn good thing the devs don't respond to much of these posts.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How about:

1) If you die x numbers of times in a given PVE mission , you've lost that mission and must exit the system and restart the mission from scratch, losing any / all progress to this point.

2) Bonus reward for completing a mission with no deaths.

3) Each death in a given PVE mission your respawn timer increases. (10 secs, 30 seconds, 1 min.)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A death penalty for PvE is absolutely needed. Nothing severe, but something is needed. Permanent crew compliment death that needs to be replaced would be sufficient.

Also, the PvE combat difficulty needs to be increased, moreso than a death penalty is needed. The complete lack of challenge in PvE combat is destroying any fun from this game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DieScream wrote: »
    My issue with this (otherwise, good suggestion) is that then you would have to leave the instance, travel across sector space, load into a SB, run to buddy, fix your stuff, zone out, zone to sector, fly back to mission, zone to instance, ....*whew* now I may carry on. No thanks.

If, however, I could pay then and there through my replicator or whatever, I'd be OK with this.

That's actually what I was thinking. You carry your energy credits with you, after all. And what are energy credits but a measure of actual, usable energy? Your crew is certainy capable of carrying out repairs, you should be able to repair on the fly using your energy credits.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    here's my idea

the devs should implement a death penalty that has an on/off flag associated with each account, then the forum moderators should scour these forums and set the flag to true for anyone who ever asked for a death penalty, then the people who don't have their flag set to true should keep their traps shut.

problem: solved :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You do know about the transwarp option right. In the skills menu, at the bottom of the list, there is basically a "Teleport to Sol system" skill there that can cut at least half of that time. You still have to fly back to the mission system.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jayrune wrote:
    here's my idea

the devs should implement a death penalty that has an on/off flag associated with each account, then the forum moderators should scour these forums and set the flag to true for anyone who ever asked for a death penalty, then the people who don't have their flag set to true should keep their traps shut.

problem: solved

I had to laugh at this. Calm down man, we're talking. You sound really grouchy. Take a nap, have some hot tea. Whatever you need to make mister anger dissapear.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I had to laugh at this. Calm down man, we're talking. You sound really grouchy. Take a nap, have some hot tea. Whatever you need to make mister anger dissapear.

LOL, i had to go back and add a smiley after reading this :) i keep forgetting how easy it is to misinterpret intentions without them ;)
This discussion has been closed.