test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online Combat to me.... ( MK II )

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    I guess those from open beta will remember these forum posts on the front page:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9631/stocombatlol.jpg

2 extremes.. Which group do you make happy knowing the other will be even more upset? :confused:

Heh, I played OB and remember those....But toward the end it seemed there was a happy medium to the ships being more challenging.....Now it's......really easy. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Acidpunk wrote: »
    Pathetic, Check the thread date and what it's about before you talk nonsense.

01-29-2010, 09:37 AM

What does that change? Nota.
    This thread has proper discussion and has been going since the OB...

I guess saying "since the OB" is much more powerful than saying "a couple of days ago".
    You on the other hand have come in here and not bothered to do anything constructive other than to argue. If anyone is spam posting I believe it is you for the simple fact that you contribute nothing other than insults.

Disagreeing with you is not a crime but you do hold the power to stop the disagreements.... stop posting nonsense.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Please Cryptic I implore you to make battles a wee bit more challenging. I was on against THREE gorn vessels at my level, I went downstairs for about 5-10 minutes and came back up and had 1% hull damage and barely even shield damage. I don't even have the best equipment....*sighs*

Absurd claims do not add substance to your position.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    01-29-2010, 09:37 AM

What does that change? Nota.

I guess saying "since the OB" is much more powerful than saying "a couple of days ago".

Disagreeing with you is not a crime but you do hold the power to stop the disagreements.... stop posting nonsense.

Nonsense to you how ?

Is the game not too easy why don't we clarify your position now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just got done watching your video's and I have to say you seem to be rather experienced. It looks like you have a good set of BO, with powers that really work well for what your trying to do. On top of that you maneuver your ship very well, even with a few ships shooting at you.

So far combat has been very challenging for me. Granted I'm a noob and I didn't play open beta, just started with the head start. So not having any idea what BO powers were, and what ones might be good to have, I just picked BO that looked cool. I saw you could get new BO's at sol but didn't have much merit, and the two quests that gave me BO's were bugged and I never ended up getting them, so I just went on for a while with only the one BO.

I was level 9 when i went back to sol and checked my merit and was able to get 2 more BO's. I think its is when i started doing a bit better, ended up getting emergency power to shields on my eng BO and it made a difference. I didn't know you could even teach them different abilities until i was level 14 and now i'm still switching them around trying to find ones I like that work well for me. Total waste of BO training points.

After that I read a bit on the forums about weapons and something that I could press p in game to read more about what the powers did and what skills made them better and I saw i had the attack pattern, evasive maneuvers and brace for impact, I don't have a clue what level I got them at.

So 9 levels with just the torpedo spread, another 5 with emergency power to shields and jam sensors. My skill points spent randomly up until I saw how to improved the powers I like and you can see how I might find it challenging.

Having my TRIBBLE kicked as much as I did, I can say that the first 15-20 levels shouldn't be made any harder. I'm sure many people are in my same boat and just learning by trial and error like I am.

At least I'm learning and hoping it will be easy on the next character I make. Next I need to figure out what all the stats do, anyone have a good guide to stats?

I'll post again as I progress and let you know how I'm doing as well has how easy/hard I find it as I go along.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    /signed

twice...

/signed

Too easy...make us have to think or plan or even reach for the "Oh ****" button.

I would even support a death penalty if challenge isn't an option.

Or both.

I do love the game...but still signed.

Completly agree

And even worser, it didnt changes when you grow in level...

I will qoute myself out of another thread, cuz there is nothing more left to say:

"After testing every aspect of the game in CB, OB and now on live, and hitting now LvL 28, i have to state that combat is still MUCH TOO EASY !!! :mad:

No matter, if you are flying solo, or in groups with 2,3 or 4 people, you only found some challenge in the Deep Space Encounters high above your current level when you took on solo bigger formations...

On my path to 28, i didnt die or ven was near to death in ANY MISSION !!! Thats really bad :(

Some of the missions were so fantastic designed, and its just a shame that you could walk through all of this great stuff without getting harmed even by those "should be nearly invincible" endbosses of some missions!!! :mad:

Its very curious, when some of the endbosses approaching your ship, and hailing you with "You have no chance, surrender to our invincible mighty" or something like this, and 20 seconds later this "invincible" ship is smoking dust and you havent any scratch on your hull... thats not funny, thats laughable, sorry but thats the way i am feeling :("
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Like I said in the other thread, Space combat is a joke at the moment. There is no increase in difficulty at any level so you just keep going through the game without ever having to really ever do anything special.

Yet people think that's ok, go figure.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Combat is trivial atm make it harder
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Too easy.

Make it harder for groups that want challenge and a better reward.

Also fix the UI (no Shields on the Portraits, etc). And go over the support abilities to see if they can keep up with a potential difficulty increase (transfer shields, Engineering Team, etc).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Do we have any updates when its going to get ... harder or add a slider for difficulty?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am LtC2 atm and theg ame still is a cakewalk, I have been playing in groups lately and the difficulty has upped a bit but no way in hel will I ever die. The combat still has to be adapted.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BoydofZINJ wrote: »
    Do we have any updates when its going to get ... harder or add a slider for difficulty?

Jackolope confirmed in general gameplay they are going the route of the slider... how long that takes is another question but i will most likely be admiral by then as im estimating months for it...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RedManMark wrote:
    Jackolope confirmed in general gameplay they are going the route of the slider... how long that takes is another question but i will most likely be admiral by then as im estimating months for it...

Could u pls give us the link to that statement?

That would be great news :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MaxMagic wrote:
    Could u pls give us the link to that statement?

That would be great news :D

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1858900#post1858900
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm completely 100% for a much harder game in terms of combat both ground and space. But I ask the question, what is the point of a higher difficulty, if when you die, you actually are rewarded by being fully repaired and right back in the battle in no time? This is especially a problem for teams when the combat never stops (unless all 5 players die at once).

If they fix the difficulty, the then need to make it so players cannot respawn or re-enter battles if they die until the current battle is over. That way it's like you actually want to stay alive. DYING/LOSING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FRUSTRATING AND ANNOYING. Otherwise there is no value in your life or skills. Especially skills, consideirng you never get better at the game, because you never learn.

And good for you if you can pretend in the game that you are scared of dying. I can't. This is a video game, which means developers have the option of making it so you don't have to pretend to be afraid of dying. They can actually give you a real reason to be afraid. And wanting a legitimate challenge is a bad thing? It can't be a challenge if you can't lose in any way. I find it unfathomable, yes I used that word, that there are people that want the game to be played for themselves. And they don't want their feelings hurt if they die. I'm not asking for a severe EVE penatly at all. (I've never played the game, but I've heard about it). Just something to discourage death besides someone trying to convince me it's bad in this game. If it's a bad thing, prove it. I don't think you can in STO. If my hull is low and shields are down (like that ever really happens as it is), then it's better and quicker to die, respawn and fly back into battle with full health to wrap it up.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thank goodness Cryptic is going the route of the slider, its really the way to make almost everyone happy. Sure you'll probaly have some hardcore players that still whine because they believe everyone should be forced to play their hardcore way, but it really is for the best.

My only fear is Easy wont be too easy and hard wont be too hard, Cryptic balancing is a bit wonky like that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm hoping, if the slider is implemented, it doesn't still allow you to keep respawning indefinatlely on the hardest setting. (s)

It sounds like it will be just stat tweaks and not affect the actual game mechanics themselves.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RedManMark wrote:

They could just "borrow" the code from the shiny, new difficulty slider in CO and use it. But wait, that patch also broke the game, so maybe it's not such a good idea. :rolleyes:
    MooseOfWoe wrote: »
    I'm hoping, if the slider is implemented, it doesn't still allow you to keep respawning indefinatlely on the hardest setting. (s)

It sounds like it will be just stat tweaks and not affect the actual game mechanics themselves.

Folks may have to settle for what they can get. When faced with the elegant solution or the cheap, no frills approach, guess which way they will go.

Also, it's not necessarily a done deal. From later in the same thread that Acidpunk quoted.
    Jackalope wrote: »
    We're tackling A LOT of stuff right now (which you guys know), but I can tell you that we are definitely discussing the difficulty slider...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Combat is far to easy now... I was very disappointed when they changed it to easy mode in Beta. As it is now I feel like I am just going through the motions... I feel no danger, no threat.

If if I DID die... who cares? No penalty. As it stands if it stays like this I will quit from boredom sooner than later. Then my guild will hate me. heh Well you know not hate.. but..

They need to increase the difficulty/change it back to what it was. Add some threat to the game as well. Otherwise why even bother? Where is the immersion? Who cares what happens to you, your ship, your crew.

As I recall from the series it was very important & emotional (hehe kinda sorta) when crew dies. Now? HA. Apparently we have massive clone vat constantly regrowing them, or a full hologram crew? EH.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Still no updates on a silder or difficulty... i went afk from the game for three days HOPING it would change.... its getting on my nerves... how easy it is....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To be honest i'm taking the weekend off playing, I don't wanna keep ruining the game for myself playing it at this level. You can literally blow through all the missions way too quick.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I already took 3 days off and playing this game part time.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I already took 3 days off and playing this game part time.

well i found a great way to make it fun again... videos to come shortly...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Redman: I got your mail - did you need me for something?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game is way too easy as is. I really hope they do something about it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rustsail wrote:

we are waiting... waiting... and waiting.... for SOMETHING..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It seems that the Devs rarely post in the combat section of the forums. Unless you have a tech issue or a payment issue, you are not a priority.

Also, there has been numerous combat is "too easy" threads, and only one has ever been posted on. It said they were considering a slider, but never acknowledged whether everything was working as intended or not. I assume it is since they say nothing.

I feel ground combat combat is even easier than space... if that is even possible. I am Commander 1 and have never equipped my away team with shields or body armor, and everything is still super easy. Sometimes I will suicide a BO by sending them into a big group by themselves just to get them killed to make things more challenging with a smaller group. But even doing this... the game is still easy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MooseOfWoe wrote: »
    Redman: I got your mail - did you need me for something?
    Rustsail wrote:
    we are waiting... waiting... and waiting.... for SOMETHING..
    Koba wrote: »
    It seems that the Devs rarely post in the combat section of the forums. Unless you have a tech issue or a payment issue, you are not a priority.

Also, there has been numerous combat is "too easy" threads, and only one has ever been posted on. It said they were considering a slider, but never acknowledged whether everything was working as intended or not. I assume it is since they say nothing.

I feel ground combat combat is even easier than space... if that is even possible. I am Commander 1 and have never equipped my away team with shields or body armor, and everything is still super easy. Sometimes I will suicide a BO by sending them into a big group by themselves just to get them killed to make things more challenging with a smaller group. But even doing this... the game is still easy.

nuff said in these videos

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=108259
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have virtually no time to write this and it's on a cell phone so i will make it quick. Yes, the game is easy, too easy. I should not have been able to plough through with zero previous game knowledge and fall just shy of my tier II ship in just one play session, less than 1K SP to go. But seperate servers aren't the answer, this game is fairly heavilly instance based, why not just do what they did with CoV and CoH? Cryptic took those games and made it so you could scale your mission difficulty based on what you want to fight. You want +0 lvl mobs? Don't change your settings, you want double the amount of +0 mobs, bump it iup one notch. You want a real challenge, move the difficulty up all the way an fight hordes of +4 mobs. I don't even want more SP per kill for harder mobs (though I would not mind slightly higher loot drop rates ;) ) but I would love to zone into the instances at levels that make it a challenge for me to win my fights. This game has made me fall in love with gaming and star trek all over again. Cryptic, the solution is there, use it!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Malorin wrote:
    Combat is far to easy now... I was very disappointed when they changed it to easy mode in Beta. As it is now I feel like I am just going through the motions... I feel no danger, no threat.

If if I DID die... who cares? No penalty. As it stands if it stays like this I will quit from boredom sooner than later. Then my guild will hate me. heh Well you know not hate.. but..

The paradoxical claim that you're never in danger of dying since the game is so easy and when you do die it doesn't matter because there is no death penalty...
    As I recall from the series it was very important & emotional (hehe kinda sorta) when crew dies. Now? HA. Apparently we have massive clone vat constantly regrowing them, or a full hologram crew? EH.

I remember from the show was PLOT PROTECTION that ensured that the main characters and Enterprise were never going to die.