test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Planetside Glitching Issues

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Graphical and Sound Issues
During gameplay, I have no issues during space combat. Things run smooth and without incident.

During planetside or spaceport parts of the game, I suffer TERRIBLE lag. It is bad enough that I effectively cannot function. I had pre-ordered and been part of Beta though, and this was not an issue during beta or the early release stage. It has only become an issues since Monday (February 1st).

Any help/assistance would be appreciate.

My rig is the following:

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor
5 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE

Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    TprHighway wrote: »
    During gameplay, I have no issues during space combat. Things run smooth and without incident.

During planetside or spaceport parts of the game, I suffer TERRIBLE lag. It is bad enough that I effectively cannot function. I had pre-ordered and been part of Beta though, and this was not an issue during beta or the early release stage. It has only become an issues since Monday (February 1st).

Any help/assistance would be appreciate.

My rig is the following:

AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor
    5 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE

Thank you.

Most likely your graphics card. it's pretty bad. Its a video playback card and not a gaming card. In STO, space doesnt take much GPU power, ground puts a lot more stress on your system. I'm also guessing teh latest patches enchanced teh graphics a little.

And why would you have such a good comp, and a terrible gpu?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Ted. I appreciate it. I was under a different impression then what you've enlightened upon me.

Is there a new graphics card that you might recommend?

As for why it is such a terrible card, I can't answer. Was it any better 3 years ago when I bought the computer?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    TprHighway wrote: »
    Thanks Ted. I appreciate it. I was under a different impression then what you've enlightened upon me.

Is there a new graphics card that you might recommend?

As for why it is such a terrible card, I can't answer. Was it any better 3 years ago when I bought the computer?

If your mobo can support it, grab yourself a nice cheap PCE-E 9800gt 512 DDR3 memory graphics card.

You will be amazed at the difference.

As for your last comment, no. It's never been any good. It's more or less a cheap card that anufacturers bundle with premade comps, so they have a card in the comp.

For Nvidia cards, easiest way to looks at it is this. you have a 9300. the 3 in the card is the "quality" number. Anything 0-5 is not ideal for gaming. This means games can be run, but will be poor quality. 6-9 means gaming quality cards. The lower the number, the harder it will be fior the gpu to work. and vice versa.

With that in mind, make sure you get at least 512 DDR3 ram on the card. This is the minimum type you need for gaming. Most cheap cards have ddr2 ram, which is why theyre so cheap. Theyre basically trash.