test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How can Spock Know what happens?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Spock narrates the events that follow AFTER he goes back through time and establishes the alternative timeline. How can he know these things happen? It doesn't make sense.

We can't say that alternative timeline Spock returns to the future either, because he would be going to the future of the alternative timeline, as established by Back to the Future (well except for the Biff part).

I can't wrap my brain around how Spock narrates events that he cannot know about.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    Spock narrates the events that follow AFTER he goes back through time and establishes the alternative timeline. How can he know these things happen? It doesn't make sense.

We can't say that alternative timeline Spock returns to the future either, because he would be going to the future of the alternative timeline, as established by Back to the Future (well except for the Biff part).

I can't wrap my brain around how Spock narrates events that he cannot know about.

LOL I thought the same thing, but hey, no big deal. Cryptic probably wanted a big name to narrate events so I'm not too concerned by it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well, it is the actor Leonard Nimoy talking, not the character Spock...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mephane wrote:

no, he makes referaces to himself as spock
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Da bigga da name, da bigga da game.

...least, that the theory.

It's just marketing, don't let it get you down.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mephane wrote:

But it is Spock! "I worked for unification, blah blah. I travelled in a ship... red matter... blah blah."
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Let's say that someone, I'll go with Tuvok came back through a quantum transporter event. Ran into his Spock and mind melded with him, then went back. New Spock asked Spock classic what it's like back in his reality and Spock tells Spock what's going on and that's what we hear.

Sounds like the kind of plot that would work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mephane wrote:

LIES!!! ITS SPOCK I TELL YOU SPOCK!!!!!

what he does is gets to a ship then fly's round a sun at warp speed then into a black hole then does a loop the loop though an exploding star and bam he manages to open a quantum singularity into the past future and come back to his original time line 4 days after he left. :P

Simplez :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To Spock, death is just an extended vacation.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Moriarty70 wrote: »
    Let's say that someone, I'll go with Tuvok came back through a quantum transporter event. Ran into his Spock and mind melded with him, then went back. New Spock asked Spock classic what it's like back in his reality and Spock tells Spock what's going on and that's what we hear.

How could Tuvok jump between alternative timelines like that? He would have to go back to the Prime timeline to wait for Spock to meet him, and then he would be stuck on the new alternative timeline.

Er... wait... no none of it makes any sense. lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well he is speaking in the character of Spock, speaking of his "old friends" alluding to Kirk etc.

There does seem to be a bit of a conflict between how Spock as narrator can know of events in the "Prime" storyline when he is now in the "Abrams-verse" well prior to 2409.

I just don't give it much thought and just think of it as Cryptic adding some fan-friendly touches to the game just like using Quinto as a EMH voice. I guess it's just musing on the state of things in 2409 assuming he had been there to see it, even though he himself mentions he isn't.

Just fluff.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ruivo wrote:
    To Spock, death is just an extended vacation.
    With a guarentee to direct the next couple of movies?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You folks are forgetting the one entity that could make this happen....either by showing Spock the alternate timelines, shifting him between them, or just telling him about it. The Omnipotent Q !
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How could Tuvok jump between alternative timelines like that? He would have to go back to the Prime timeline to wait for Spock to meet him, and then he would be stuck on the new alternative timeline.

That's why I said it requires a quantum transporter event (lets throw in some chronotons for good measure). Don't know what type of event, but one that effects both time and space.

Despite the claims, reality hopping/time hopping really isn't that hard in the Trek universe. Happens at least once a season.

As for getting back home, Scotty did it, then made a joke.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's why I said it requires a quantum transporter event (lets throw in some chronotons for good measure). Don't know what type of event, but one that effects both time and space.

Despite the claims, reality hopping/time hopping really isn't that hard in the Trek universe. Happens at least once a season.

As for getting back home, Scotty did it, then made a joke.

I guess your right. At least we should be thankful that this jumping doesn't involve a big log, a disco ball, and some humpback whales.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    I guess your right. At least we should be thankful that this jumping doesn't involve a big log, a disco ball, and some humpback whales.
    I never did understand how that was the best Star Trek movie ever...

"Star Trek: Go Green!"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Zoya wrote: »
    You folks are forgetting the one entity that could make this happen....either by showing Spock the alternate timelines, shifting him between them, or just telling him about it. The Omnipotent Q !

That pretty cool. Q putting Spock on trial for the crimes of violating temporal prime directives or something.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    See..threads like this are why most of us will never breed....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Does it REALLY matter?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LordSpyder wrote: »
    no, he makes referaces to himself as spock

Oh ok, then I am wrong here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I love that, "Spock classic":p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You guys are over thinking this. He's just narrating what he did and how we got to where we are... your trying to make it as if he is still in this universe, he's not, just narrating for us, like the opening of a movie, what events led up to where OUR story begins.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    :) "Only one answer - Spock is God."

• Options
    edited January 2010

In one of the TNG episopdes Worf kept being transfered from timeline to timeline.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    *Spoiler Alert*

Spock is the green Jesus.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    With a guarentee to direct the next couple of movies?

Well, if STVI is any indication, i surely hope he gets a seat in the film's production!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    drjones76 wrote:
    *Spoiler Alert*

Spock is the green Jesus.

Carl Sagan would probably agree.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The whole thing was just weird if you ask me A Spock that is no longer around telling what happened after he went in to a different reality, Not using Kirks name just my Friend when he was referring to the Undiscovered Country, and the whole lack of passion when reading it. They should have just had Spock do the space the final frontier bit, show your Miranda zipping along like a TV series intro , then use the cut scene of the Kittomer being attacked like an episode prelude.

My god it would have been so much better and so much simpler, I have to wonder what goes through developer’s heads sometimes. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think that they are supposed to be his old personal logs or something like that... from before he disappeared. Not sure how well those would work timeline wise though.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The whole thing was just weird if you ask me A Spock that is no longer around telling what happened after he went in to a different reality, Not using Kirks name just my Friend when he was referring to the Undiscovered Country, and the whole lack of passion when reading it. They should have just had Spock do the space the final frontier bit, show your Miranda zipping along like a TV series intro , the use the cut scene of the Kittomer being attacked like an episode prelude.

My god it would have been so much better and so much simpler, I have to wonder what goes through developer’s heads sometimes. :rolleyes:

Fans would be happy with the sound of Nimoy eating a fried egg sandwich while singing "If I had a Hammer." It gives us goosebumps.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Data sent him an email I think filling him in. Spock@alternatereality.com perhaps?

But Data's DEAD. Maybe B4 sent it while drooling.
This discussion has been closed.