Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Movie Day Twitter Event

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    As a 41 year old Trekker, loyal fan and lover of all things Trek.. I LOVED the movie. The humor was great the actors representing their famous counterparts did a great job IMO and the alternate timeline/alternate universe is a really cool idea. It wont affect anything we know and love about Trek and maybe even bring new, young people to become Trekkies/Trekkers... I hope there is a sequel AND a TV show to come.. I gave it a 4/5!

Very cool stuff!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    im surprised by how so many people say stick to the formula that worked dont change it. im sorry sticking to the formula is what destroyed trek. we got TRIBBLE in DS9 VOYAGER and Enterprise. This movie was brilliant. they took the stale concept and made it fresh and i AM an old school trek fan but i see why the series died off. i dont care too much for the moives plot. but i loved seeing all my old favorites brought back to life with new actors. It WAS Trek through and through. May they continue to change and shape the universe.

as for gene rodenberry rolling in his grave. i very much doubt it. i think hed be proud to see his series brought back in such a good way. that the cast kirk spock and mccoy and all the others are very much alive.

as for you guys at cryptic i would LOVE to see Trewk combat like in the movie. fast paced.

Stuff i must comment on.

i will like this movie and watch more by the Newphag SW loving tard who thinks he has the right to "make it more interesting"

I didnt see anything at all star wars like. did we watch the same movie?

but he is now my bish... every one hated of Berman and Behr and Braga for DS9 VOY and the TNG era TMP movies... but none of them ever did this... ever... while alot of the old fan base is just happy to be getting attention again... it's not going last forever... people will get frustrated...

why becuase the old fans didn't get what THEY wanted. As always most people miss the point that most first movies or reboots are generally hit and miss becuase they have to sustitute story for why they did a reboot anyways. look at the first trek movie. terrible. very little of that awesome message trek is about. st:wrath of khan did that for us. even the first TNG movie generations, lacked any sort of message. it was more about lets pass the torch through movies.

and the fact of the matter is... Were not star wars fans... you can't just wave a lightsaber in our faces and expect us to "Ooooh Ahhh" we need substance.. we need something... that speaks to the... ideal behind star trek... which has always been the study of humanity... the ideals and development growth and progress... it's always been more than just a telling or re-telling of a cheesy story...

the ideals of trek? you mean the same heavy handed messages we have got for the past 40 years. that could be why trek was taken off the air. if you cant bring something fresh to the table it grows stale. and no amount of fanbase who (and myself imcluded) like those ideas about trek can save it. sometines things need to be changed to match the world around it.

honestly i don't know why they felt the need to rehash TOS... they want to attract new fans... they want people to take an interest again?... then progress done the story line... make new chit... make shinier chit... get all the moronic oafs interested in how pretty is... but don't forget about "us"... and by us... i mean those of us who sat thru the infinite "model ship" fights... who enjoyed the effection the production staff put into making a intriguing engaging and cerebral story....

so if its not for you it must be TRIBBLE nevermind all these new people who never before liked trek who are now going back and watching all the old stuff? as i have said sometimes too much damage is done to something and a clean slate is neede.d through bad producers and directors Trek was nearly Finished. yes this movie may lack a few things wed expect but i personally know at least 5 to 7 people who hated treka nd are now planning a movie marathon this weekend. i think the movie did its job well. maybe if we are lucky the next one will have a bit more Trek in it.

one thing my friend said to me put it in perspective... this is a business venture.. between Paramount and the Fans.... and all that Paramount cares about... is the Box office revenue... they don't care about our interests... or desires... so until it becomes profitable to make things in the old way of making a trek series/film... we will probably just be stuck with it.l..

it shoudnt and should matter what you think. i garuntee the bulk of fans out there are like any fanbase. they dislike change. so most companies/comic books/tv shows/ never change their formula. becuase they are afraid of losing their precious little fanbase. well JJ did something bold. he neatly said this isnt for trek fans its for everyone. and every it is. for the first time ever i saw people in a trek film who would never EVEr watch trek. i know people who are now asking me questionzs about old trek and are renting downloading or watching tv shows/movies and series.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, First, All you UBER Trek Geeks that think they are stellar Movie critics.. Sit down and shut up. You would not and could not do any better nor even come remotely close.

All this *****ing and crying over a Fantastically made movie. This shows that some people who are far to attached to something. Now, that being said..

I am a Trekkie, for a great number of Years.. Of the original Series and Beyond.. Although I wasnt alive to watch the original, I did watch all the reruns.. What JJ Abrams has done I think showed ALOT of respect to what Gene Rodenberry has created.

The events of the movie allowed for an "ALTERNATE" Time line, so everything all you Hardcore Nerds are crying over is STILL INTACT!!

This Movie had all the elements of a great movie. If we stuck with the same ol same, this movie would have flopped and crashed.. the old nerds with the cospetic pointy ears and phaser pistols would be there.. chewing on popcorn while the rest of the world would yawn and walk right on by.

I laughed hard at this movie, some parts I wanted to cry, because it was Heart felt, some things I was shocked and dismayed.. (IE Spock and Uhura) but hell, it was nice to see Spock grab a Hot chick and she was definately hot.

Kirk was portrayed perfectly, as was every single character.. I would not have changed a thing..

Again, this is an Alternate TIME LINE.. so you all can go back to your basements with your table top games and stop whining.. I applaud JJ Abrhams and STO and all those that chose to BOLDLY GO.. and attempt to make things for us that are entertaining and fresh and new, and everything about this movie was just that..

Its taking Trek in a new direction without TRIBBLE up what has already been done.. and as for the temporal Time Cops from the Federation of the Future.. If there was an Alternate time line that was made and did not effect theirs, then there is no problem. Hell, for all we know, alternate time lines are continuously being made around us everyday.

How many times have you looked back and said, Damn, if I had just done this or that.. everything would be different.. We see that as acceptable, yet cry when someone does it for a Movie..

This is exactly what was done... I was grinning ear to ear for hours after this movie.. i will go and see it again and again...
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, First, All you UBER Trek Geeks that think they are stellar Movie critics.. Sit down and shut up. You would not and could not do any better nor even come remotely close.

All this *****ing and crying over a Fantastically made movie. This shows that some people who are far to attached to something. Now, that being said..

I am a Trekkie, for a great number of Years.. Of the original Series and Beyond.. Although I wasnt alive to watch the original, I did watch all the reruns.. What JJ Abrams has done I think showed ALOT of respect to what Gene Rodenberry has created.

The events of the movie allowed for an "ALTERNATE" Time line, so everything all you Hardcore Nerds are crying over is STILL INTACT!!

This Movie had all the elements of a great movie. If we stuck with the same ol same, this movie would have flopped and crashed.. the old nerds with the cospetic pointy ears and phaser pistols would be there.. chewing on popcorn while the rest of the world would yawn and walk right on by.

I laughed hard at this movie, some parts I wanted to cry, because it was Heart felt, some things I was shocked and dismayed.. (IE Spock and Uhura) but hell, it was nice to see Spock grab a Hot chick and she was definately hot.

Kirk was portrayed perfectly, as was every single character.. I would not have changed a thing..

Again, this is an Alternate TIME LINE.. so you all can go back to your basements with your table top games and stop whining.. I applaud JJ Abrhams and STO and all those that chose to BOLDLY GO.. and attempt to make things for us that are entertaining and fresh and new, and everything about this movie was just that..

Its taking Trek in a new direction without TRIBBLE up what has already been done.. and as for the temporal Time Cops from the Federation of the Future.. If there was an Alternate time line that was made and did not effect theirs, then there is no problem. Hell, for all we know, alternate time lines are continuously being made around us everyday.

How many times have you looked back and said, Damn, if I had just done this or that.. everything would be different.. We see that as acceptable, yet cry when someone does it for a Movie..

This is exactly what was done... I was grinning ear to ear for hours after this movie.. i will go and see it again and again...

Quoted for truth. i agree
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Quoted for truth. i agree

Thank you SIr... Your support is appreciated and I support you as well.. Also note... Look at the very bottom of my Blog.. Look at the Definatition of insanity: So that being said.. I think some of these UBER Nerds are Effing INSANE!! Grow up and get a hobby that doesnt include your Model Star Trek Dolls. ok, nuff from me.. LOL
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thank you SIr... Your support is appreciated and I support you as well.. Also note... Look at the very bottom of my Blog.. Look at the Definatition of insanity: So that being said.. I think some of these UBER Nerds are Effing INSANE!! Grow up and get a hobby that doesnt include your Model Star Trek Dolls. ok, nuff from me.. LOL

Hey i totally have dolls >.> but yes they are insane. have fun see you in star trek online.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think the following quote sums the movie up nicely for me:

"Here's what Gene [Roddenberry] said in an interview just before he died in August 1991; somebody had asked him, 'What's going to become of Star Trek in the future?' And he said that he hoped that some day some bright young thing would come along and do it again, bigger and better than he had ever done it. And he wished them well."
    — Richard Arnold, Roddenberry's assistant

;)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Amen Arc!! Amen.. RIP Gene and Congrats JJ Abrahms on a Stellar Movie event that has made Star Trek Bigger and Better then it was.. WOO HOO!!!

Next stop.. Star Trek online!!!! OHHHHH YEA!!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I may offer my humble opinion...

On the service, i will agree, the movie did seem a bit thin on concepts that Mr. Roddenbery would inject into his sci-fi world. However, upon closer examination I believe that there are central themes that flow throughout the piece that pays homage to the creator and fans alike.

Kirks struggle to answer the weighty call that he knows has been placed on his shoulders. Spock's inability to supress the human emotions that make up who he is as an individual. The conflicts of power that bring about friendships. The inexperience of youth, and the understanding that age can bring. The sacrifice of Kirk senior saving the lives of many (the good of the many outweighs...). The duty that comes with wearing a Starfleet uniform. Understanding when you have become too emotionaly involved in a situation, and when you allow it to taint the mission.

These are all basic to the Star Trek mythos... and are appreciated by this particular Trekkie.

Just because Mr. Abrahms style of directing allows for Character development through action does not place this as a popcorn movie, but just heralds the hectic age that we live in. And if Star Trek has ever been anything, it is a commentary on the world around it.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I saw the New movie last night and visually it was impressive but I couldn't help but think this has got to be a "what if" situation only in movie form. The movie also seemed to go backwards in technology a lot of the times. There was no reference to the original Enterprise NX-01 which might I add saved the planet from the Xindi during the temporal cold war.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hi to all, might as well introduce myself via review (forgive the mini rant inbetween bits)

Alright i've seen it, and I have to say to Abrams is majQa'! (well done in klingon)

No really, this was friggin brilliant the CGI is in full force, action and adventure. Simon Pegg is actually perfect for scotty. I was fine with the plot, surprisingly the vision of Gene Roddenberry is actually strengthened in the action as oppose to the opposite. Zachary Quinto is definitely a good actor, the character arc for Spock is surprisingly strong even more so then Kirk's.

I actually did feel a bit of sympathy for Spock for losing his mother, helped by the fact that the character relates and even has difficulties with his human persona. Winona Ryder has a small role as Spock's mother but she does a good job of it and its also further good of Abrams to get a an actress with a known name with the good acting as well to play Spock's mother because she is quite a important character and it was good Abrams recognised that. It was also rare though for an action film that the death of a mother as opposed to a father is used in typical plot excuse to spur or reduce a character to grievence.

Furthermore captain Pike gets included, am very glad about this, am not a trekkie but I do have a good memory about the crucial facts and one them was about Pike as he technically speaking was the one before Kirk in the Star trek Original series. Bruce greenwood does well to mould Pike into a veteran captain who plays a role in both drama and action. Starfleet crew and their higher ranks are actually acting like they were members of a military crew for a change! (Hoorah!)

Attention of detail does not lie soley on facts or twisting the plot cleverly making the film an alternative universe one that even the villain Nero cannot predict as its actions follws a new route entirely, yet the main timeline (or the original universe is not affected) but in the characters themselves. However it is still richly star trek but presented in a way that its not dire of plot, or boring. It’s creative, explosive and clever in the two as well.

Strong detail is given to the lesser star trek characters including Hikaru Sulu (by John cho) Sulu still maintains his frail confidence at times and John does a good job on this, when Kirk him asks what hand to hand combat. He nervously says 'fencing'

Even I rolled my eyes in disbelif thinking he's going to be useless but I was deceived. Not also did John portray sulu from a shy pilot to a skilled and tactical combatant in a second butthe props also give him some useful items like a retractable katana to add to that! The Romulan he faces promptly replies by flicking out a trident like weapon and the two engage in some great choreographic battle.

With the attention to detail also, I was impressed with the hints of Romulan strength. When Kirk fights some red shirts he's taking on the entire 3. (Speaking on red shirts, in true trek tradtion a red armoured guy literally dive bombs himself to inceneration note: when a captain tells you to parachute, you don't go 'yahoo yeah!')

When it came to the Romulans he had a hard time knocking one to the ground, even when useing a helmet! Sulu also was getting tired out by the Romulan physique and won by use of skill and cunning.

It does become damm obvious when later on a Romulan does a much more successful jump that left Kirk dangling for his life and even lifts him one handed!

Finally the Romulans become mean, though it amazes me how they were still lameish in the dominion wars. The Jem'ha da the supposed superior troops look weak in comparison now!

If I had a point against the film it would only be three minor ones: The Romulan ship doesn't look very much like a 'mining ship' it looked more like something pinhead would build if hell had spaceships and that the Romulan appearances remind me a bit too much of those vampires from buffy or angel (except without the fangs)

I mean they had the nasty looking faces, as well as the insane strength level.

Nero looked like a man you wouldn't dare double-cross. He looks eternally ****ed.

Though in regards to the ship's design I liked scotty's remark 'if there's any common sense in the enemy's ship design' for a smooth self mick take.

The third pointer is that after seeing some good alien designs, including the humanoid medic for Kirk's mother with her large feline like eyes, the creation department went down a step when Kirk's latest girl was a green skinned woman with ginger hair. (meh)

Despite Spock's character arc wonderfully done especially with the meeting with Spock (Leonard Nimoy) was written well. To the dual clash of the two types of arrogance from Spock and Kirk at times, to karl urban being the best character of them as bones (He's perfect! And cracks me up!) The best part was what happened off screen. Keeping Spock on as a cameo and keeping Shatner out.

I don't hate william Shatner but I do feel that since the OST ended on TV and went onto movies that Shatner didn't really portray Kirk anymore, suddenly he was somebody else entirely. The age gap since from TV to movie can be half accepted if some of the character traits are still there but I don't think there was, since the movies Shatner portrayed little of Kirk's evolution with the exception being the wrath of khan. I also feel his character (even though he was to be canonical dead) couldn’t strike an understanding with the younger Kirk.

Whereas with Spock had greater importance, he still was in the next generation series, was still in character something leonard nimoy was able to still do and also as the film shows a certain vulcan has proven to be more then just Kirk's equal, so what better way to get an understanding of 'Spock' than from Spock himself. Leonard's appearance made a nice 'exchanging the guard' from him to Zachary Quinto's Spock which was done well.

And the music was top class, especially the remastering the original star trek theme.

why couldn't the star war prequels be like this?

Actually I think this film just resolved who is better ST or SW debate. I don't care if mike wong appears and gives a detailed scientific reasoning, what's the point? Yes the enterprise is built on ground but when starships and shuttles can levitate in the air with no difficulty, how is that a problem?

Both franchise never cared about science (or common sense for that matter) the enterprise has more friggin firepower then a damm imperial destroyer alone, and both the enterprise and that Romulan mining ship were taking in the gravitationl pull of a black hole that demolished a planet! Who cares about the science of the two shows, science on both series always contradicts itself but from what I’ve seen the feats of the enterprise are simply WOW.

Overall and by Far the best star trek movie.

Bring on the other two!!!

(note: I was partly ranting with someone regarding this and star wars and I never edit my own posts to remove bits. Am not a die hard of the two but after seeing this alt version of ST it seemed to settle a few things. Also am glad they didn't get into the xindi and 'temp time travel feds' they were never written well to begin with. Not to mention that the rules of time travel they follow is a flawed one. There is more sense in that time travel would involve branching out of alternative realties then as to altering the future. So events in the orignal universe still take place though as romulas is destroyed then I hope those remus 'space orcs' are as well. Why does everything dark and scaly skinned have to be evil? Look at scotty's assistant dark eyes and ill looking. Did he lurk in '5% less room lighting' working for the dark lord of 'clonecard?' No but he was ten times more intresting then the remus that's for sure.)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sorry...I don't "TWITTER" or any of that TRIBBLE...besides, I would'nt involve myself in any orginization with such a "Puss" name....!!!:eek: