What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Planet Exploration Contest!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Ya. I know what was posted. I also know the truth. They're currently in a Comic Convention - they don't have time to be dealing with everything else - they're spending all their time there, and spending all their time working on it. It might have been poor planning to have the release all at the same time - however, they're not going to say that publicly. It's better to show a good face. We did it in radio all the time. And it's a little white lie that doesn't harm anyone. Unless I've voided my win (by being Canadian or by posting it in advance) I'm telling you - they've already picked at least the winner and one runner up. Maybe they're considering awarding more prizes and therefore have to go through it all again. But be patient people. The world isn't going to end!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ya. I know what was posted. I also know the truth. They're currently in a Comic Convention - they don't have time to be dealing with everything else - they're spending all their time there, and spending all their time working on it. It might have been poor planning to have the release all at the same time - however, they're not going to say that publicly. It's better to show a good face. We did it in radio all the time. And it's a little white lie that doesn't harm anyone. Unless I've voided my win (by being Canadian or by posting it in advance) I'm telling you - they've already picked at least the winner and one runner up. Maybe they're considering awarding more prizes and therefore have to go through it all again. But be patient people. The world isn't going to end!

IMO you did them with this posting - regardless if it is true or not - much more harm then every whiner in this or other threads.

You tell it a "white lie" and indeed it is trivial if they have already chosen a winner or not - nothing what Awen or any other community manager wasn't able to explain in a short forums posting and what the majority here would have understood. But all the more because the delay in the announcement of the winners is a minor problem this lie will be damaging - how can anyone expect that they will tell the truth in matters of greater importance from now on?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've definitely had enough of this thread. I think that ST:O should start another forum and disallow juvenile posts. It's ridiculous that so much time could be spent on this. Once you grow up, you'll understand how this isn't a life-altering problem. Clearly some people, regardless of how much explaining you can give them, will just not understand this.. In fact, you'll learn that much greater things than this aren't worth wasting so much time on.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am sad for the delay, but it's totally understandable. I am very anxious to know the results. I have said this before, but I do hope we get an opportunity to read some of the submissions. I need something creative to pass the time anxiously waiting for STO. I am also curious to know many submission there were.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've definitely had enough of this thread. I think that ST:O should start another forum and disallow juvenile posts. It's ridiculous that so much time could be spent on this. Once you grow up, you'll understand how this isn't a life-altering problem. Clearly some people, regardless of how much explaining you can give them, will just not understand this.. In fact, you'll learn that much greater things than this aren't worth wasting so much time on.

I have finished university 15 years ago and I'm leading my own company successfully since more then 10 years - there is no need to worry about my financial situation or my transition to adulthood, thanks. :)

Your opinion is not an axiom - someone can understand what you say but that doesn't mean that he must share it. If the single fact that someone is not in complete agreement with you is reason enough to leave a thread and even asking for a new forum only with sycophants... then life will have a lot of things for you to learn too.

Have a nice day, I have to go to work now.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sheftu wrote: »
    IMO you did them with this posting - regardless if it is true or not - much more harm then every whiner in this or other threads.

You tell it a "white lie" and indeed it is trivial if they have already chosen a winner or not - nothing what Awen or any other community manager wasn't able to explain in a short forums posting and what the majority here would have understood. But all the more because the delay in the announcement of the winners is a minor problem this lie will be damaging - how can anyone expect that they will tell the truth in matters of greater importance from now on?

I just want to say:

Any plan that finishes on schedule is either finely crafted with no variables unaccounted for, or is done half-assed.
    I grade papers written by students for a living. Well... part of my job anyway. I've had many times where I would go back and look at a question 3 or 4 times because someone worded something in such a way as to be sorta right, so I have to think about it.
    Besides, reading 500+ essays, even 500 word essays, is a ***** and a half. No one, and I mean NO ONE can estimate how long it will take.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You guys do realize that if the real aim of this contest is to find outsource contractable writing staff to help create adventures in the STO game then everyone that's been ****ing and moaning so much has put themselves off the list of becoming a possible game contributor. Afterall, what boss or contractor wrangler wants to deal with that? ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    :D
    Im happy that they are putting some much time into reading them. Normally I would think they would read some, find a good one, and give it first place. No point in reading 1000's of 500 word essays pretty much. I wouldnt even hate them for doing that. Probably, I am sorry to say, half of them are the same story anyway. Humans can only be so creative...
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You guys do realize that if the real aim of this contest is to find outsource contractable writing staff to help create adventures in the STO game then everyone that's been ****ing and moaning so much has put themselves off the list of becoming a possible game contributor. Afterall, what boss or contractor wrangler wants to deal with that? ;)

I really do not think that is the official or only goal. I think rather these stories can be reviewed by writing staff to give them an idea of what we as potential players view as creative. Based on what we write (and will write in future submissions) they can glean fresh ideas :)
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Even if thats true, at least people can feel proud that they helped contribute a little to the Star Trek Lore. The only thing they won't get is direct acknowledgement for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That sounds lovely and would be a fantasy for me. I write stories for my kids but nothing formal. I did a career inventory test and it came up writer. Hummmm....goes into day dream about being a STO story line writer....pop well, back to reality. :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    STO wrote: »
    I really do not think that is the official or only goal. I think rather these stories can be reviewed by writing staff to give them an idea of what we as potential players view as creative. Based on what we write (and will write in future submissions) they can glean fresh ideas :)

That's what I said. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    While it would be an exciting opportunity to have some input in the writing process, I strongly doubt that was the goal of this contest. Professional writers are hired for that purpose, and while I'm sure that many of us are worthy of such a task and will prove as such with their submissions, they're going to turn their eyes toward people who have been writing for a living first.

Now, what would be cool is if whoever won got their story converted into a mission that a player could encounter. In fact, I think they should do that for the winner and the two runner-ups. I'm sure there will be many, many missions out there, so adding three in that were submitted by potential players could be a pretty nice way to leave their mark.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    While it would be an exciting opportunity to have some input in the writing process, I strongly doubt that was the goal of this contest. Professional writers are hired for that purpose, and while I'm sure that many of us are worthy of such a task and will prove as such with their submissions, they're going to turn their eyes toward people who have been writing for a living first.

Now, what would be cool is if whoever won got their story converted into a mission that a player could encounter. In fact, I think they should do that for the winner and the two runner-ups. I'm sure there will be many, many missions out there, so adding three in that were submitted by potential players could be a pretty nice way to leave their mark.

It'll be interesting to see if they implement something like this: Mission Architect. I know Jack is very excited about player generated content.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am so geeked for an update... I am to the point now where I just want to read the entries. Has anyone started an entry thread yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Awen wrote:
    Part of the adventure that comes from exploring strange new worlds is discovering that planet's history and hearing the stories of its inhabitants. Imagine you have just entered orbit around the planet pictured here. Your mind races with the possibilities of what you will find. What is the planet's name? What or who lives there? Are they peaceful or antagonistic, welcoming or outright hostile? Are they long gone leaving only more mysteries to solve?

Tell us about the planet shown on the Planet Exploration contest rules page. You can tell a story of daily life of the inhabitants, make a scientific survey log entry, or weave any type of tale you choose.

Email us your story of up to 500 words at contest@crypticstudios.com by January 29, 2009.

Orbit established, Captain. What do you think is down there?

Bah, pity I was sick for some time with the flu and missed out on this contest!

Good luck to all who entered and whomever wins!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Eidolonael wrote: »
    I am so geeked for an update... I am to the point now where I just want to read the entries. Has anyone started an entry thread yet?

I'm just hoping we'll find out the winner and runners-up this week. I know there was a delay because of NYCC, but let's get this going already!

I think that after the contest results are announced, a thread of our entries would be a great idea. I'd love to see the creative talent we've got here.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The_Padre wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if they implement something like this: Mission Architect. I know Jack is very excited about player generated content.

That would be awesome. Imagine: fleets could create awesome fleet-history relevant mission threads that people could take part in to learn about a fleet.

The challenge here of course is that missions in STO will essentially be Plot points in the larger Star Trek IP ... and that may not be something "The Powers That Be" (or even "we" in the long run) would be comfortable handing over to the masses.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think that after the contest results are announced, a thread of our entries would be a great idea. I'd love to see the creative talent we've got here.

I'm looking forward to that, too.

I'm expecting to see an extreme range of ideas about the planet in the image, as well as a wide variety of styles used to present those ideas.

But I'm also expecting that there'll be a few things that show up with obvious frequency in a lot of the submissions... and that, I think, will be an intriguing glimpse into what the likely players of this game are most interested in seeing/doing/feeling in Star Trek Online.

--Flatfingers
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    RyceSTO wrote: »
    That would be awesome. Imagine: fleets could create awesome fleet-history relevant mission threads that people could take part in to learn about a fleet.

The challenge here of course is that missions in STO will essentially be Plot points in the larger Star Trek IP ... and that may not be something "The Powers That Be" (or even "we" in the long run) would be comfortable handing over to the masses.

There's a rating system connected to the MA, so those that are deemed good enough get the attention of the dev team and they can decide on what rewards can be connected to the mission(s) and promoted further, this system could work in another way for STO, that being the holodeck. Still that would be a pretty daunting task as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That sounds lovely and would be a fantasy for me. I write stories for my kids but nothing formal. I did a career inventory test and it came up writer. Hummmm....goes into day dream about being a STO story line writer....pop well, back to reality. :confused:

You know, I believe it was JK Rowling started out the same way... AS did a couple other well known authors.

Keep at it. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    *crickets chirping*

*looks at his watch*

*waits...and waits...and waits...*
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tell me about it... :|
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I really like this contest and I hope they do it again soon, but it must be time consuming on their side to read all the enties.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm sure it does take a lot of time to read them all, and I certainly hope they're giving the ones they think worthy of the possible winner and finalists due consideration. But, UGH, the wait is driving me crazy!!! If they have to take longer to consider them all, that's fine, but then just post a bulletin telling us so. Sure, they did that before NYCC, but that's over now, and it's three days after.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm sure it does take a lot of time to read them all, and I certainly hope they're giving the ones they think worthy of the possible winner and finalists due consideration. But, UGH, the wait is driving me crazy!!! If they have to take longer to consider them all, that's fine, but then just post a bulletin telling us so. Sure, they did that before NYCC, but that's over now, and it's three days after.

"And they wish to go on hurting you" :D
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They could do a rated public submission and then take the best 10 or something (like have the contest open for a few days or a week, then the rating period for a week or a couple of weeks). Each writer could be assigned (at random) 5-8 other stories to read and then let them get rated. Then just get rid of the outliers (like the really low numbers - because some people will just rate everyone 1/10 in the hopes they might win -- which is dumb, because there's no way that would help you!)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well I wouldn't say get rid of people because of low word count, because short and concise is better when it comes to summaries.

Anyhow, I wish Awen would at least give us some indication that they haven't abandoned the contest. It's been a while since she said anything. I'm assuming that the entries were that good. So good that they probably give everyone Beta slots or never to hold such a contest ever again. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Azurian wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't say get rid of people because of low word count, because short and concise is better when it comes to summaries.

Anyhow, I wish Awen would at least give us some indication that they haven't abandoned the contest. It's been a while since she said anything. I'm assuming that the entries were that good. So good that they probably give everyone Beta slots or never to hold such a contest ever again. :p

it has only been a few days (I think the last update was last Sunday) sooo like 4 days? they said it would be sometime this week. I am guessing Friday.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    STO wrote: »
    it has only been a few days (I think the last update was last Sunday) sooo like 4 days?
    The last update about this contest was Thursday - it's a week now. :)