test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Borg King name

So, on September 3, 2019 (I circled the date in red,) I created a captain named Borg King 001, and I am wondering if I will be hit with a copyright for the name? I do not want to be, since I named him Borg King 001 first.
7bbmlvfrf5n8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I doubt it. You should be good.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Borger King: You rule!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Unlikely.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I think that might fall under fair use anyway, that said unless you're trying to sell anything based on it I think Cryptic would probably not mind, it's not anywhere close to worth the backlash or effort
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    You can't be hit with a copyright claim for naming a character in their own game.

The only thing that might happen if that you lose your name and your character gets a generic name and you will be granted a free name change. However, I really doubt it in this particular case. pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    You can't be hit with a copyright claim for naming a character in their own game.

Exactly my WoW mage is named Bloodleaf and since she's a blood elf I wasn't able to make before The Burning Crusade launched and there's a character called "Ambassador Bloodleaf" in TBC and I've had my Mage since TBC launched and nothing has happened and yes there's possible to have the title "ambassador" for players.

Really only way you could get hit by a copyright if you tried using that name to sell merch IRL.
  • Options
    sukhothaisukhothai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Really only way you could get hit by a copyright if you tried using that name to sell merch IRL.

I have been using that name to sell merchandise for the last 18 years.

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Exactly my WoW mage is named Bloodleaf and since she's a blood elf I wasn't able to make before The Burning Crusade launched and there's a character called "Ambassador Bloodleaf" in TBC and I've had my Mage since TBC launched and nothing has happened and yes there's possible to have the title "ambassador" for players.

Which is kind of funny, since CBS couldn't care less about what is actually in whatever work the copyright rests on.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Borger King: Have it my way!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    sukhothai wrote: »
    So, on September 3, 2019 (I circled the date in red,) I created a captain named Borg King 001, and I am wondering if I will be hit with a copyright for the name? I do not want to be, since I named him Borg King 001 first.
    7bbmlvfrf5n8.jpg

I doubt it, the 001 is unique enough, trust me I have 2 Spocks, with an extra letter each Spockk (TOS) & Spocck(SNW/DSC) and I haven't been striked myself I also have a Worf named Worff (Fed Klingon/PIC), even though I do have Original characters I also do like playing as my favorite Trek characters just spice up the game after gamer fatigue starts kicking in, also since OP has Borg King 001, that means that current one is an upsurper.
  • Options
    captainrc1captainrc1 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

Borger King: Have it assimilated!
    msivh34y8fiv.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 12
    7bbmlvfrf5n8.jpg

The point is moot. You created the name in Cryptic's game and if you read the STO TOS, Cryptic holds the copyrights to everything you create in their game.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    7bbmlvfrf5n8.jpg

The point is moot. You created the name in Cryptic's game and if you read the STO TOS, Cryptic holds the copyrights to everything you create in their game.

Oh dear... I didn't even know this.

I need to delete my biography's, or else they might start publishing novels based on them.

(Just kidding, no, I don't believe they're that good :p )
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    46bf6atlrlb4.jpg

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    7bbmlvfrf5n8.jpg

Who knows however the term Borg King did exist on Memory Beta, in a TNG Novel called "The Worst of Both Worlds", as part of the Glass Empires storyline.