test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

t6 zen ships-which to choose

enigmachad#4351 enigmachad Member Posts: 30 Arc User
I have a tac at 65 and a sci at 65 with zen coupons. which ship should I choose? tac is commando/temp op but not temp op toon. the other is commando intelligence. not sure if that matters.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited January 24
    For a SCIENCE! ship, I have one captain flying the Brigid and am happy with it - https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Brigid_Multi-Mission_Surveillance_Explorer

Nice boff layout, it's already fleet level (11 console) so no need to be in a fleet or use fleet modules / credit, nice looks for a federation captain.

For tips on building a heavy-hitting anomalies + exotic + radiation damage science ship, start a topic in the Academy subforum
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,523 Arc User
    The captain's skill specialization does not have to match that of the ship, only the doff specializations if you want to take advantage of the specialized doff skills in the seats that can take them (and you can change between doff's specializations just as easily as the captain's ones).

I picked up the Qugh with the coupon mainly for thematic reasons, but also because of its trait and the fact that I didn't have an account-wide miracle worker ship. The main thing to remember is that those free coupons cannot buy anything in the "New" tab (the version of the coupon you buy in a package in the c-store does not have that restriction), other than that anything in the "Ships" tab is fair game.

About which one to pick, I have no idea since I don't know what your playstyle is or anything and have no idea what you might be interested in doing with a ship build-wise. If you give more details about what you might be interested in someone less theme-oriented than I am will in all likelihood be able to give you some good suggestions (the final decision is up to you of course).
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    It really is a matter of personal preference.

I have a Gorn that I made for the Klingon event that I don't play much, but I was thinking that maybe I would get them a Gorn ship. I haven't really liked any of the Klingon ships that he has, and my Fed main has plenty of ships to choose from, including a TOS Connie that I mostly fly, and I have an unused prize pack that can give me another premium T6 if I want it.

I would really have to study the ships and their BOFF setups if I was picking something else for my main.

I can say that I really liked the command battlecruisers that I have (Concorde, Geneva, and Presidio classes).
    I also liked the Temporal cruiser (Sagittarius class) and Battlecruiser (Paladin class), though I bought that entire bundle and used the skins of the older ships. I may not have liked them nearly as much if I had to use the "proper" skins.

And that brings up another subjective standard: The appearance. How much it matters to you I do not know, but it matters to me. I should never say never, but there are some ships out there that I just do not like the looks of, and so I doubt that I would ever buy them. You may love the look of those same ships, and that is fine, but it is something only you can decide.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited January 25
    It really is a matter of personal preference.
    And that brings up another subjective standard: The appearance. How much it matters to you I do not know, but it matters to me. I should never say never, but there are some ships out there that I just do not like the looks of, and so I doubt that I would ever buy them. You may love the look of those same ships, and that is fine, but it is something only you can decide.

Good points. I settled on the Brigid for the science ship because it was more than good enough and I liked the looks. I didn't consider any of the golf ball saucer medical ships because the look was not for me.

You can make any ship good enough for Advanced content. Picking a ship based on a theme or looks (aka Space Barbie) is a perfectly valid choice and I've done that for most of my captains.

Besides looks, there are other reasons to pick or reject ships like wanting a good turn rate, but you'll need to give us more information about what you want in a ship before we can offer better advice.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    gotta decide what type of play you want. right now this minute, I'd say the eagle. it's a fracking BLAST as a torpedo boat
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    Two very nice ships with very good starship mastery traits are the..

Arbiter Battlecruiser Great with beams or cannons, comes with the Emergency Weapon Cycle starship trait. The trait is considered a "staple" for any energy weapon build as it makes your weapons fire faster (20% haste) and reduces their energy cost by 50%.

Gagarin Miracle Worker Battlecruiser Also great for beams or cannons, comes with the Entwined Tactical Matrices starship trait. The trait can be very handy for use with beams, cannons, torpedo, or exotic science-torpedo builds. Miracle worker ships can be very powerful with their extra universal console slot and access to a couple of specific miracle worker bridge officer abilities. Also known as the Qugh on the Klingon side and the Fleet Shepard if you're looking to get the fleet version.
    FWIW I use Intel-Strategist on most of my non-science toons for space and TFO's. My science orientated toons (regardless of whether they're science, engineering, or tactical) use Temporal Ops-Strategist for space. I save Commando as a secondary specialization for dedicated ground play to use in place of Strategist.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    I hope those ship upgrade tokens go on sale soon too.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Two very nice ships with very good starship mastery traits are the..

Arbiter Battlecruiser Great with beams or cannons, comes with the Emergency Weapon Cycle starship trait. The trait is considered a "staple" for any energy weapon build as it makes your weapons fire faster (20% haste) and reduces their energy cost by 50%.

Gagarin Miracle Worker Battlecruiser Also great for beams or cannons, comes with the Entwined Tactical Matrices starship trait. The trait can be very handy for use with beams, cannons, torpedo, or exotic science-torpedo builds. Miracle worker ships can be very powerful with their extra universal console slot and access to a couple of specific miracle worker bridge officer abilities. Also known as the Qugh on the Klingon side and the Fleet Shepard if you're looking to get the fleet version.

Here's two more suggestions for those perhaps looking to collect some very useable basic starship traits using their Zen store free ship coupon in addition to those mentioned above..

Cardassian Ghemor Intel Flight Deck Carrier Provides the starship trait Calm Before The Storm that gives weapons firing haste and bridge officer recharge reduction. One of the better traits for energy builds along with Emergency Weapon Cycle.

Narendra Support Cruiser Provides the starship trait History Will Remember that gives boosts in damage, hull regen, and maximum hull. A good trait for tanks.
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited January 29
    I chose the Monitor with my Anniversary Gift token - pretty happy with it, and gives me a different playstyle than the kind of ships I usually go for.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User
    None, cause the server is down. xD

Seriously though: pick the ship that looks like you'll be flying a lot - or if you're not going to fly any new ship, pick one that you think has an useful trait or console.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User
    I chose the Kuthar, as it was one of the few remaining Kumari's I didn't have yet. And it's console is fun to have, since it can be active at the same time as the other wing platform console - so you can have four platforms active at the same time.

It was a nice addition for my pre-first contact toon who's leading a small expeditionary fleet to investigate rumours of another pointy eared race of greenskins...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    The first T6 ship I went out of my way to get was a group: The T6 Command Battlecruisers. Concorde, Geneva, and Presidio classes.
    I liked that they looked close enough to a "classic" design, so I bought the bundle and Frankensteined some appearances that I liked.

Then I bought the Temporal bundle because I liked the "retro" designs of many of those ships and could use those skins with the "modern" T6 ships in that bundle. It coincided with the release of the TOS beginning for Captains so it was a fresh start for me. I would change my main to a TOS Captain and have ships designed with the TOS aesthetic in mind.
    I have always been a TOS guy, so this was as good as I could do at the time.

Then I picked up the Reliant Class advanced light cruiser. Again, a ship that gives me a "classic" look. I used a coupon on this one, but didn't use it much, generally sticking with the Temporal Battlecruiser from the preceding bundle.

Then I got my TOS Connie with an event campaign coupon and haven't looked back,

There are things that I wished were a little different, and so I still look at other ships, but I wouldn't bet on anything other than some other version of a TOS Constellation class will get me out of the seat of the one I have now for any length of time.

But that is just me.
This discussion has been closed.