test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bug Report - keyboard input weirdness relating to Ctrl-A.

georgiekungeorgiekun Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited November 2023 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Tech support requested I come here and create a bug report so they can send this on to the next level.

Bug is weird inputs from time to time, only in sto, tested several ways.

Sepecifically, when attempting to turn left, (A key on keyboard,) character does not turn left.
It appears that STO, but not the rest of the computer, is reading Ctrl-A. The rest of the computer not reading CTRL-A is confirmed by windows onscreen keyboard which logs modifier key presses.

The reason it seems it is reading ctrl-a appears to be because if (when the issue presents) the chat window is clicked on, "a" is typed once, then highlighted/un-highlighted constantly if A is held down. This corresponds to the default for ctrl-a, which is "Control+A, ^a, and C-a, Ctrl+A is a keyboard shortcut to select all text, files, pictures, or other objects while in a graphical user environment."

However, again, when this happens the PC is not reading ctrl as pressed according to windows on screen keyboard in the other monitor. The easiest way to clear it is to alt-tab, or to press control several times, though it seems to return soon when it's 'feeling active.' Other times it will not appear for long periods, even weeks.

I have no known way to cause the bug to appear and I haven't had it in any other games. Keyboard is in good repair and no macros are associated with the STO profile except 'hold to press and release F," (loot macro.)

I found another user with the same problem on the steam sto forum, who also clears it with hitting ctrl over and over.

Shift related modifiers also seem to act up when this is 'being a problem,' but I have less data there.

It appears on all characters and on both space and ground maps.

Thank you.
Post edited by georgiekun on

Comments

• Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,017 Arc User
    "Bug Report" is a highly unhelpful and very vague thread title.
    I'd recommend Editing your post to make a more meaningful and helpful thread title.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    "Bug Report" is a highly unhelpful and very vague thread title.
    I'd recommend Editing your post to make a more meaningful and helpful thread title.

Whoops. My bad. Haven't used a forum like this in too long. That should fix it.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,017 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    Absolutely a far better title - well done!
    I wish I had something to offer in resolving the issue, but I just haven't a clue what might be causing it. Do you have any keyboard-related software running in the background? If so, it might be worth exiting it to see if it makes a dofference.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    Absolutely a far better title - well done!. Do you have any keyboard-related software running in the background?

Yeah but I investigated that. One thing you can do there is to set record macro, go back to game, and see what it records as keystrokes. I had a mouse that would (when it should do say, shift1, would do 1, shift, 1. I ended up sending it back. Current setup seems to be solid for hardware. This feels like a sto problem. I'm mostly posting here because regular tech support said it helped them tick a box on it's way to the serious bug team.