test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bad Taste in Ship Names

vansine#0515 vansine Member Posts: 54 Arc User
So, I think Cryptic should get a encyclopedia and start looking up the history of some of the ship names people have, such as one I just saw tonight: Thuringia. Happens to be an area where TRIBBLE brought prisoners/slaves to make the V-2 rockets. Not the first, and I'm sure not the last, time I've seen TRIBBLE associated names in the game. I don't think the Federation would be cool with naming ships after genocidal eugenicist ideological figures or places?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,531 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    It is also just a place name, in this case a rather picturesque free state in central Germany. A lot of the default names for ships are from cities, countries, or regions and that happens to be one of them (I had a ship on one of my characters I was just leveling for the trait that had that name in fact, so it is on the default list).

If all place names where something really bad happened sometime in history were struck from the list, then the list would be practically empty. History is too full of atrocities for that kind of censorship to be practical, especially when the deeds were not typical of the areas and the people of the areas have moved so far past the dark deeds that were done in those places in the past.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 10,347 Community Moderator
    Nope. We're not doing this drama on the forum. You cannot dictate what other players name their ships. If something is truly offensive and somehow slips past the block list, I suggest you submit an in-game ticket to a GM and suggest adding the offending name to the block list. There's no need to bring your in-game drama here to vent and drum up some support for your self-righteous indignation. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.