test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

BUILT-IN REMODULATION!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,348 Community Moderator
We've updated how Remodulation works against the Borg. It'll no longer be a device you have to equip, and you can earn and build special remodulators!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11553103
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,809 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    You can, however, still access improved remodulator functions. If you equip a Fractal Remodulator—available through the R&D interface, by using materials from the Defera Invasion Zone—your default remodulate power will change to the improved, faster remodulation. If you have Presequenced Remodulator consumables—also now craftable through R&D—or the set bonus from various Omega Force reputation gear sets, you can still use these, too.

Last time I checked, this wasn't working. Edit: the special crafting stuff on Defera, I mean.
    Overall, the cadence of combat against the Borg should be closer to what’s seen in the shows and movies: You can drop a couple of Borg with some well-placed shots, but then they adapt to your weapons until you remodulate frequencies.

This has me concerned.

The Omega rep tier 3 trait currently allows you to take down many enemies without having to remodulate (when using things like split beam rifles - as noted in the post, it's different with full auto rifles). It's precisely what makes that trait useful.

The way I'm reading this, it sounds like that trait is being nerfed. I hope I'm wrong on this.
    Post edited by fleetcaptain5#1134 on
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    Devil is in the details for changes like this.
    I'll wait and see.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    Defera crafting will remain turned off. The ability to make Fractal Remodulators is moving into the R&D interface, as noted in the article.

The Omega reputation ability to reduce the speed of Borg adaptation remains unchanged.
  • Options
    highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    So....you just remove the normal remodulators that we have - whether we want that or not - and instead we get this "Basic Remodulation" that will Pop up OVER the Power Tray when the Borg have adapted...so its not something we can put INTO the Power Tray, is that what i understand? So if i want to activate that Basic Modulation i have to use the Mouse Pointer to click on that Pop Up?? Instead of using a Button to activate it from my Power Tray - like iam doing now - ?

If its like this, than the Question is, WHAT about those who Play in Shooter Mode - like me- ? So i have to switch between Shooter and Normal Mode all the time whenever i want to Activate Remodulation?

You see, with some Armors we also get such a Pop Up (Permanent) above the Power Tray, like with the Red Angel Armor, The Torch Bearer Armor an so on, BUT when equiped, you also get an activatin Button that you can Place into the Power Tray, otherwise it would be very annoying to use for Shooter Mode Players....so only way around that would be to Craft those advanced Remodulator now, on all of my characters.....well thank you, for this change that i dont think anyone asked for.
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2023
    You can still drag-and-drop the power into a key slot in your power tray. It just defaults to appearing in a special tray element now.

This means that you no longer have to go through the tedious process of equipping a Remodulator item on all of your BOFFs. Characters have access to basic remodulation functionality without needing a device, but can equip a device for improved remodulation.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,809 Arc User
    jheinig wrote: »
    Defera crafting will remain turned off. The ability to make Fractal Remodulators is moving into the R&D interface, as noted in the article.

The Omega reputation ability to reduce the speed of Borg adaptation remains unchanged.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    highlandrisehighlandrise Member Posts: 354 Arc User
    jheinig wrote: »
    You can still drag-and-drop the power into a key slot in your power tray. It just defaults to appearing in a special tray element now.

This means that you no longer have to go through the tedious process of equipping a Remodulator item on all of your BOFFs. Characters have access to basic remodulation functionality without needing a device, but can equip a device for improved remodulation.

Thanks for the clarification, in that case it is a nice change, esspecially since the Boffs also get that Basic Remodulation, more room for other stuff :)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    I'll stick with kinetic, more efficient than having to remodulate
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
      i wonder if the mission "where angels fear to tread" will be adapted for this, since in the beginning of the ground portion it requires the player to pick up and equip remodulators, will it still give old remodulators, or will it become unbeatable if the player won't be able to pick any up.
      Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
      We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
      We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
    • Options
      corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 118 Arc User
      edited September 2023
      They might change it to a modulator pick up as it's only from that mission onward that device is needed. Sort of a mission activation for it.
    • Options
      splattysplatty Member Posts: 113 Arc User
      edited September 2023
      I'm so confused, two weeks ago or so Defera crafting suddenly starting working for the first time in several years, so when I saw this article I thought it was in prep for this. Now your saying its going to be turned off after working for a couple of weeks and moved into R&D. Which is fine, but if you need to go there anyways to get the materials, why not leave it as an option?
    • Options
      psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
      Have Liberated Borg Captains aka xBs been visited as well to continue their being distinct?
      (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    • Options
      arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
      I'll stick with kinetic, more efficient than having to remodulate

Me to. My Thompson sub-machine gun says hi!
      Definitely not an Arc User.
    • Options
      szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
      I just want to comment that I like the move to both integrate the crafting system to Defera and to establish local crafting 'ecology' for that zone.

I sincerely hope we'll see more 'localized technology exploitation' to help breathe more flavorful life into the galaxy. (Examples: Perhaps the waters of New Romulus act as a mental stimulant that can be refined into a permanent device for Bridge Officers that improves their Kit Readiness while equipped. Or, special gas crystallization on Nukara leads to being able to craft Sonic Resonator Devices that passively augment energy weapons with a supplemental sonic damage source.)
    • Options
      annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
      IMHO, this was a it wasn't broke, why the tribble are you fixing it? if you don't want to deal with adapting, the tommy gun and tr-114 rifle and the good ol bat'leth. at least they didn't make Omega gear useless
      We Want Vic Fontaine
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
      IMHO, this was a it wasn't broke, why the tribble are you fixing it? if you don't want to deal with adapting, the tommy gun and tr-114 rifle and the good ol bat'leth. at least they didn't make Omega gear useless

I prefer to engage from distance and avoid melee, tommy gun for medium range and shotgun to deal with any close encounters.
      Really can't beat the classics
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        vesty#3846 vesty Member Posts: 12 Arc User
        one thing i am a bit pissed about is you automatically nerfed omega gear which had a faster remod time than this new thing you are promoting. Just a bad call on the devs part. And to boot you broke a map that you have that gives parts for making consoles you just came out with 2 months or so ago. I have to say its just poor a direction on this,,,, what in the frack are you guys thinking ? I got alot of toons with omega gear that are now nerfed and i gotta go fix the problem with something thats sub par to what was there originally
      • Options
        captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 898 Arc User
        You can, however, still access improved remodulator functions. If you equip a Fractal Remodulator—available through the R&D interface, by using materials from the Defera Invasion Zone—your default remodulate power will change to the improved, faster remodulation. If you have Presequenced Remodulator consumables—also now craftable through R&D—or the set bonus from various Omega Force reputation gear sets, you can still use these, too.

According to this, the Omega set bonus remodulation should offer a faster cooldown than the standard. Is that not happening? If not, it's probably worth a bug report.

-K
      • Options
        baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 663 Arc User
        Are the new borg supposed to be able to adapt to the physical damage of the tommy gun? Because they are and remodulation doesn't remove the adaption to the it.
      • Options
        postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
        Complete immunity to batleths, can't even slap them to the ground

Omega set is now a 3secs recharge rather than instant, not sure about the cooldown.

As I suspected when I first saw this change coming, the button will randomly vanish from the bar meaning that while the game is screaming at you to remodulate you can't because the new clicky button isn't there whereas prior to this clunkening you could have it sat on your bar for a hotkey.
        Credit where credits due when it does come back it is in the same place so well done for that
      This discussion has been closed.