test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patrol XP rewards seem to have been massively reduced?

toastwithjam#6901 toastwithjam Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Don't know if other people are noticing this, but it's taking far longer to level up ships now. As in, over double the time.

There was nothing about this in the patch notes. Was this intentional, or is this a bug related to the new hard modes?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    I've noticed that, too. Trying to master some ships on a newer character and it's taking forever.
    I thought one of the reasons behind the patrol revamp was to make starship leveling easier, as it used to take forever, even with the old Argala exploit.
    Without any word, one way or the other, from Cryptic about this it's hard to know. Could be a bug, could be an intentional nerf. Would be nice if we could get some kind of communication about it, though considering Cryptic, that might be asking too much of them.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Is the patch already over then? Because I leveled up my Gorn Hunter ship on Tuesday, in 1 patrol round, and noticed no nerf.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,720 Community Moderator
    A couple of questions. What patrol(s) are you using to level? What difficulty are you on? What kind of ship/build are you using? Patrols that allow you to burn through waves of foes will grant more xp than those with set amounts of foes. More powerful builds will allow you to burn through more mobs which means more xp. If there is a bug I don't care to fire off a report, or let you guys know if a change has been made and I'm able to pass that along. However there's not enough info here for me to warrant a report just yet.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    unicron573unicron573 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    I did 9 runs of Rescue & Search, Trouble Over Terrh and Clash Above Ceron on Elite and got to Level 3 Mastery on 1 ship before I stopped. I did those runs May 10th about 2am'ish PST. {Edited to add time}
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    i mastered my new terran hydra in 1 run of rescue and search last night and i did it with a carrier build on it without changing anything, patrol seemed to be working perfectly
  • Options
    A couple of questions. What patrol(s) are you using to level? What difficulty are you on? What kind of ship/build are you using? Patrols that allow you to burn through waves of foes will grant more xp than those with set amounts of foes. More powerful builds will allow you to burn through more mobs which means more xp. If there is a bug I don't care to fire off a report, or let you guys know if a change has been made and I'm able to pass that along. However there's not enough info here for me to warrant a report just yet.

Apologies for the late reply, I had to grind for money to exchange for goods and services.

Ninth Rule on normal, full Mark XV Sensor-Linked gear on a T6 Gagarin (so, maximum shredding potential). Usually I can jump to Mastery Level 2-3 on a good run, killing a good 6-7 waves in the finale. This time I barely made an impact on the way to Level 1 (Level 0?).

I'm not checking the exact numbers as they come in, but that progression alone is a huge red flag. Even when I'm absolutely chunking it I'm hitting at least Level 1. I'm hearing a lot of similar reports coming in from the STO subreddit as well. If this is a bug, it's pretty widespread. You might be able to replicate it yourself.

My gut tells me adding the new Hard Mode might have borked a few things. But if this is an intentional stealth-nerf it'd be good to get some clarification either way.
  • Options

Apologies for the delay. I had to acquire currency to exchange for goods and services.

Ninth Rule on Normal, using a T6 Gagarin with upgraded Mark XV Sensor-Linked Phasers for maximum shredding potential. In my test run I killed about 6-7 waves during the finale. Usually on a good run like that I can jump from Level 0 to anywhere from Level 3 to 5. This time, I barely made a dent in 0. I didn't get the exact Mastery XP numbers but a drop like that is a red flag.

I've never seen something like this happen before. Even when I'm absolutely chunking it I still wind up between Levels 1-2. I've heard similar reports and testing coming from the STO subreddit, so whatever this is, it's widespread. You may be able to replicate it yourself.

My gut tells me that the new Hard Mode might've borked something with the other patrols, but if this is a stealth-nerf it'd be good to get clarification either way.
  • Options
    kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    My gut tells me that the new Hard Mode might've borked something with the other patrols, but if this is a stealth-nerf it'd be good to get clarification either way.

It must be a weird glitch. Yesterday, did Rescue and Search, Wanted, Ninth Rule and got a little over 1 level of ship mastery. Today, same ship and character, did Rescue and Search on normal once and got the ship leveled.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    My gut tells me that the new Hard Mode might've borked something with the other patrols,

This has the ring of truth to it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    I usually use 'Wanted' and 'Ninth Rule' to level up a ship, doing another run of Ninth and 'Sentinals' to complete Tier 6 if applicable.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    Argala for leveling a ship is a waste of time - do patrols with a timegated enemy spawn like kern / terrh - the more dps you deal - the more enemies spawn the faster u get the mastery. simple
    nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,046 Community Moderator
    I usually run Ninth Rule and Wanted. Occasionally I have to pull out a Rescue and Search. The main variables seem to be if you are max level or not, as if you're not you're also splitting that xp between yourself and your ship. And DPS is a factor as well on the timegate patrols as the higher the DPS, the faster you kill ships, the more ships spawn, the more xp you get.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,194 Arc User
    I leveled several ships today for ship master and I can't see any evidence that the xp has been reduced. Kern on Advanced, Argala on Elite and Terrh on Advanced all worked fine for me.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    woozywyvernwoozywyvern Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I've found your character level will impact the ship master progress hugely. Doing patrols at level 10 takes more patrols (on elite) than doing (normal) at Level 65.
  • Options
    knightmare#8708 knightmare Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    Discovery Patrols give the most If you run any of the Delta Patrols you go from level 1 to level 2 mastery in run run. I run the Discovery Ninth Rule and go from zero to level 4.5 after one run. A 2nd run will get me level 5. Level six on the other hand for the legendary ships takes several more runs.

If using a lower level char say around 10 to 20 then I only get to Mastery level 3 on one run and it takes about 5 runs to get to level 5.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    well ive leveled all the 13th anniversary doing just 2 patrols on each on a new char i made during the delta event cant remember if i had it set on advanced or elite tho. maybe you have it set on normal by mistake thats easy to do
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,038 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    ...you're also splitting that xp between yourself and your ship.
    First I've heard that the XP is split this way.
    My understanding of levelling the ship for a trait is that every point of XP I earn, is also a point of XP for the Mastery.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
This discussion has been closed.