test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we please get the old auction system back?

nishkacmnishkacm Member Posts: 133 Arc User
I can understand that Cryptic has some concerns on our behalf for losing EC, but implementing a system like WoW has is not the way to go.

I would have appreciated a heads up about this before it was implemented so we could at least provide feedback. The auction is one of the most used features for me on STO a drastic change like this is terrible. Please undo it asap.

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

I'm sure we can come up with other, less intrusive ways to fix losing EC over the system that we currently have. Receiving EC and items on the mail and then being forced to go to a mailbox to retrieve them is a terrible system. I happily enjoyed receiving the items directly in my inventory and it made everything far more efficient for me to get organized with doing my Exchange business.

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,661 Community Moderator
    Actually, this was announced weeks ago.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,226 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    What is the difficulty in visiting a mailbox? They are all over the place. And at least to me, this system was broken because you could lose out on substantial amounts of EC if you were not careful.
    The new system is horrible for traders. We have to do 100's if not 1000's of extra clicks and lots running back and fourth. What was a streamlined system is now very tedious use. The change removes the good QoL trading changes we had years back. I am with the OP and lots of traders have been shouting out about this change for weeks. Its intrusive and not well thought out.

The change is that bad I voted with my money and spent my STO money this month on another game.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    Apparently the new system was intended to benefit a half-dozen whales who want to list stockpiles of billion-EC lockbox/lobi ships at once without worrying about losing EC.

Across dozens of characters, with a decade in the game, I've seen complaints about losing EC to over-sales maybe... 3-4 times. I'm sure it happens often enough, but majorly inconveniencing every exchange user to benefit a few whales seems ridiculous.

Here's an example:
    I just bought 15 colonists, 12 prisoners, 8 refugees. In the old system, I would know exactly when each of those holds was full, because it would update as I bought them. If I bought items, I could see in my inventory exactly how many I had until I had the needed quantity.

Now, I have to run over to the mailbox, and individually accept each of those 35 items. I can't even delete the mail as I accept them, because "delete" is greyed out until you select another mail and then come back.

Anyone who thinks this is an "improvement" or "a minor inconvenience" is off their rocker, frankly. It's a major time sink and inconvenience to tens of thousands of players, in order to benefit a few major market players who want to be able to manipulate the market even harder than they do now.

The sensible way to implement this would have been to keep the system as it was, direct to inventory and cargo holds, and only send EC or items to mailbox if an overflow would happen. Pretty much just like item inventory works.
  • nishkacmnishkacm Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    What is the difficulty in visiting a mailbox? They are all over the place. And at least to me, this system was broken because you could lose out on substantial amounts of EC if you were not careful.

Have you lost money yourself?

I trade with billions of EC and I haven't lost a single one due to selling more than my account could handle. Instead I'm now stuck with a draconian system. When you trade a lot this system is very bothersome.

I've been playing since the first closed beta cycles and this is the first time that I'm seriously considering to quit STO altogether. I've stuck with the game through thick and thin, but changes like these have such a large impact on my ability to play that I might as well not bother anymore.
    Apparently the new system was intended to benefit a half-dozen whales who want to list stockpiles of billion-EC lockbox/lobi ships at once without worrying about losing EC.

Across dozens of characters, with a decade in the game, I've seen complaints about losing EC to over-sales maybe... 3-4 times. I'm sure it happens often enough, but majorly inconveniencing every exchange user to benefit a few whales seems ridiculous.

Here's an example:
    I just bought 15 colonists, 12 prisoners, 8 refugees. In the old system, I would know exactly when each of those holds was full, because it would update as I bought them. If I bought items, I could see in my inventory exactly how many I had until I had the needed quantity.

Now, I have to run over to the mailbox, and individually accept each of those 35 items. I can't even delete the mail as I accept them, because "delete" is greyed out until you select another mail and then come back.

Anyone who thinks this is an "improvement" or "a minor inconvenience" is off their rocker, frankly. It's a major time sink and inconvenience to tens of thousands of players, in order to benefit a few major market players who want to be able to manipulate the market even harder than they do now.

The sensible way to implement this would have been to keep the system as it was, direct to inventory and cargo holds, and only send EC or items to mailbox if an overflow would happen. Pretty much just like item inventory works.
    Accept for even the major market players don't like this change. It seems to be horrible for just about everyone all around.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,422 Arc User
    "Lots of running around"? The mailbox at ESD, as an example, is just across the room. The one at Drozana Station practically uses the same console!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Lots of people complaining about this on ESD which is hardly a surprise. This is just what we warned the devs would happen. Lots of comments like "no one asked for this"
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,422 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Lots of people complaining about this on ESD which is hardly a surprise. This is just what we warned the devs would happen. Lots of comments like "no one asked for this"
    Lots of people on ESD also comment on how we're all going to perdition because we don't believe in their particular flavor of Jesus, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • kaosbainkaosbain Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I wish it was an opt in system where you can choose between this new system and the old system. Most people would prefer the old system from just reading zone chats, me included. Oh well must trundle onward!
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Now that the Exchange in STO works like the Auction House in almost every other MMO, it should prevent problems arising - especially when we have newer players trying to make sense of things.
    It seems to me that some of us are making problems appear where there aren't any.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    You guys seriously make get every purchase now from the mail. So if I buy like 50 keys and they are all individual I have to pick up 50x the mail? Where is the improvement here, for me its a huge waste of time, worse then timer in TFO's...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
    edited May 2023
    Now that the Exchange in STO works like the Auction House in almost every other MMO, it should prevent problems arising - especially when we have newer players trying to make sense of things.
    It seems to me that some of us are making problems appear where there aren't any.
    I have played many MMO's and this is not how any of them worked then I played. We are not making problems when there appear to be none. We had a perfectly good streamlined system that was x10 better then what we have now. This is a major step backwards to what old-school MMO's used to be before modern good systems.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Well, I can certainly see the usual replies with the "Hey, it's not a problem for me so it shouldn't be a problem for you" attitude.

The previous system was flat-out better, faster, easier to keep track of. Your inventory, Doff bays and EC all updated instantly so you could see the result of every purchase immediately. You could buy and relist items without having to run to the mailbox in-between.

This change is worse for 98% of the game and only benefits a very few people who want to post multi-billions of EC worth items without having to worry about losing EC.

Put it this way - we've got plenty of people saying "Wow, what an incredibly foolish change." We've got a few people saying "Eh, deal with it, it's not so bad as you make it out to be".

And literally zero people saying "Hey, nice change!".
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    The new system is horrible for traders. We have to do 100's if not 1000's of extra clicks and lots running back and fourth. What was a streamlined system is now very tedious use. The change removes the good QoL trading changes we had years back. I am with the OP and lots of traders have been shouting out about this change for weeks. Its intrusive and not well thought out.

The change is that bad I voted with my money and spent my STO money this month on another game.

I agree, it SUCKS big time.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • mathwanusmathwanus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Thanks for doubling the number of mouse-clicks I have to make to use the Exchange. Why does it say Auction when there's no bidding? What a terrible system. Please revert! Revert revert revert. Thank you!
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Lots of running around"? The mailbox at ESD, as an example, is just across the room. The one at Drozana Station practically uses the same console!
    Before I could collect all my trades in space now I have to zone into ESD though multiple map changes. Then I have to clean up mails after, then run back to where I was. Twitter, Reddit, this forums, game chat, trade channels are all full of people saying the change is massively inconvenient. It might not be too bad for the people who only do a trade once in a blue moon.

For those of us like me that have crafted 500+ items and sold them this week alone its a nightmare change.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    nishkacm wrote: »
    I would have appreciated a heads up about this before it was implemented so we could at least provide feedback.

They announced it during a livestream two weeks ago ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlieodkGi8A
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Its a major nerf to QOL. The old system was streamlined and nice, this new system is just horrible as was pointed out to the devs over the past few weeks. Nothing worse having a negative change being sold to us as a positive QOL feature when it make QOL worse.
    I would have appreciated a heads up about this before it was implemented so we could at least provide feedback.

Which makes it all the worse as they had two weeks of people saying this is a bad idea and they still went ahead with it despite all the feedback.

Honestly how much of a % of player are actually viewing the livestreams?

mathwanus wrote: »
    Thanks for doubling the number of mouse-clicks I have to make to use the Exchange. Why does it say Auction when there's no bidding? What a terrible system. Please revert! Revert revert revert. Thank you!

If it was just doubling ...

Honestly how much of a % of player are actually viewing the livestreams?
    0.01% or 0.001% if that high.

• duckdaworldduckdaworld Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    And just thinking of the enormous augmentation of net traffic for the STO servers .. This overused bandwith could be use to ameliorate the stability when changing map, avoiding disconnection, or else ...

Thanks all contributors here, I came for saying the same things as you all, and you all did the job already.

DucKy.
    [Fleet Admiral DuckDAWorld - Universal Fleet Official Cancelor]
    #addendum

And thus hoping it won't generate LAG ... ... ...
  • nomad#7597 nomad Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Having bought several items on the exchange i can not open mail to get items they are showing in mail box Help please..
    #addendum

And the time lost managing #exchange and #mails will cut my real #playtime, I could use this clicking times running #TFO, #episodes, etc ...
  • lazybunnykiera#9316 lazybunnykiera Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I hate the new system, but they could fix it by letting us claim items from anywhere without having to actually visit the mailbox, OR even by adding the mailbox TO the exchange.
    I think the need to visit a mailbox to claim items is just unnecessary and it would be a huge quality of life improvement to just let us claim items from anywhere. Keep reading before replying.

OR.. Adding bank and mail as additional tabs to the exchange. So you have everything in a single window, so we can handle everything quickly with relative ease.

There are situations, where i'll have access to the exchange, but not the bank or mail. Such as with the D'Kora ship bridge. In some circumstances, you could have exchange access but not have access to the bank or mail.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    The reaction to this change.. kind of feels like they shined a light into a dark, neglated basement and the basement responded with a bunch of angry ferengi hissing noises. I just can't unsee it.

I suspect this measure was in response to a bunch of angry messages from newer players who lost their EC.

The cleanest 'solution' would probably be to make this the default setting, but adding the ability to opt out. This would give newer players a safety net while allowing high volume marketeers the ability to do their business unmolested.