test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New Star Trek Online Wiki!

You may have seen this announced somewhat recently, but now it's more or less functioning, but yes, there's a new Star Trek Online wiki!

We've written a statement about it that you can read here, as well as on our Twitter.

But the tl;dr is: FANDOM is plagued with ads, and ever since they bought Gamepedia the experience for the STO Wiki has slowly but surely gotten worse. While an ad blocker can avoid the worse of it, this becomes a massive issue on mobile (especially iOS) where adblockers are harder to come by.

All old wiki links are easily convertible to the new wiki, simply replace sto.fandom.com with stowiki.net

Some (probably) frequently asked questions:
"But wait, some things are broken!"
Unfortunately, 'tis true. We have gotten most functionality working but there's a few things left to fix. You will notice some broken formatting across a lot of pages (especially those linking items), although most things should now be readable.

If there's any issues that aren't page formatting issues, please bug report them on our Discord in one of the #wiki channels.

"How are you paying for this?
Generous donations from players, actually! sfc (@nak3dsnake in-game) is the wiki staff member who handles all finances, and has set up a Ko-fi page for donations. While we're still working out the current monthly pricing, we intend to have a full transparency report of wiki finances available here.

"I'm a developer who uses wiki information to power my tool... what to do?"
Most tools rely on the wiki's Cargo tables to gather information. We haven't been able to recreate and repopulate the tables just yet, but it's what we're working on right now (and this should include fixes for the current major formatting issues, too). Once that's done, it should be pretty simple to swap over to the new wiki.

I am an editor on the old wiki, can I use my account on the new wiki?
Yep! We have instructions on how to do so here.

Who runs this wiki?
Myself and sfc are both system administrators. All administrators of the old wiki are also administrators of the new wiki.

Some other information:
  • The wiki was forked on 16/02/2023. All edits on FANDOM after this date do not exist on our servers, although there shouldn't be much information missing.
  • There may be some slowdown in the coming days as we fix the last of the migration issues. We are also currently monitoring performance to see if the current infrastructure will hold.
(Thonnington)

Comments

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Congrats on the launch to the wiki folks. tis a great resource for folks.

pinned for greater visibility
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    100% agree with you guys on the ads issue. I shall update my favourites accordingly!
  • Options
    kharliskharlis Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Many thanks!
    The other site is getting less and less useful. Can't even click on a link without the screen shifting from gigantic ads loading. And the constant videos are annoying too!
  • Options
    knockedup#2486 knockedup Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Thanks! I've updated my bookmarks and it works smoothly.
  • Options
    realdarklordrealdarklord Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Thanks, this is very appreciated, but I'm not really happy with the new page-layout.
    The huge menu-frame on the left side is taking unreasonable amounts of screen real estate.
    Could you please turn this into a mouse-over-popup/dropdown-menu at the top of the page, and use the entire screen-width for the content-frame?
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    Re:The ads: Firefox is your friend, especially with EFF and privacypossum blockers, and noscript. That said, noted and will update links. Thanks! ^_^
  • Options
    tiffanypowell#8124 tiffanypowell Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Thank you very much! And constant videos (advertisements) are annoying! So thank you!
  • Options
    gunny338#2712 gunny338 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Thanks. Still trying to access the original wiki as it's been the go to site for years. Btw saved as a favorite or a book mark and still end up on fandom's page. How could I save these on mobile?

Fandom is just plaques with too much ads and worst part they pop just as you navigate their site. In all it's not visited as much as I usually do.

I've been in this game for years and still have to go back for info I should have retained. Call it ageing enough to forget what you've read or just totally fazing out after many years of grinding. lol
    "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force of our lives.
    We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity"

Captain Jean Luc Picard
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    uhm yeah nice one but ...

just a quick test, went to starship masterys expecting a list of all the collectable starship mastery, instead i got a list of all the normal passive ones?! when you click on t5 and t6 i was at least here expecting to find what im looking for, its still just the passive ones no one cares about ... while t5 should be the collectibles and t6 should be the acc wide ones ?!
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    davideight wrote: »

just a quick test, went to starship masterys expecting a list of all the collectable starship mastery, instead i got a list of all the normal passive ones?! when you click on t5 and t6 i was at least here expecting to find what im looking for, its still just the passive ones no one cares about ... while t5 should be the collectibles and t6 should be the acc wide ones ?!

Considering the servers just went down unexpectedly in the middle of the day, they might be applying a fix for that and/or possibly some of the other problems already.

• Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Lest we forget: a wiki is a community effort - these are volunteers spending their time to add info. If something is missing, we can always help out by adding it, because it also means that there are not enough volunteers. But it's not some sub par service corporate threw upon us, it is what we make of it. (By the way, that is not only this Wiki but (almost) every other as well. If you find missing info, add it if you have it.)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    this is pretty awesome thanks
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    andrew1978aandrew1978a Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Much easier to use for someone who's been away from the game for a while thanks for your efforts
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2023
    davideight wrote: »

The page you're looking for its the aptly named "Starship traits" page. https://stowiki.net/wiki/Starship_traits
  • Options
    drycraeft#5841 drycraeft Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    I agree! i have an AdBlocker but the one or two that show up on Fandom are glitchy and they kept jumping me up and down the page. Wiki is the way to go for games.
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    for some reason this site is now loading slower then dial up
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007