test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

“Pink” Vanity Shield/Pack

mutantcamel#2832 mutantcamel Member Posts: 149 Arc User
So, question for everyone: A few years back, there was a “Pink” Vanity Shield that you could get as a part of a larger bundle for donating to a breast cancer charity. According to the STO Wiki, it was only available from October 15 - 31 of 2019. I’m working on completing my collection of vanity shields and that one looks like it’s going to be a hard one to get, if it’s even possible. Does anyone know if it will ever be made available again? The OCD collection completionist in me is getting… well… obsessive about it. Thoughts?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,018 Arc User
    Methinks this should have been posted in General Discussion rather than Bug Reports!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    Kael gets asked about this almost every week in the livestream and says there are no plans at this time. He also has said that because it was a charity item, offering it for sale in other ways may be controversial. So if it came back, it would probably have to be another promotion with a breast cancer charity.

Vanity shields are a pretty expensive hobby, anyway and on some ships even some of the better shields look bad anyway. Just my opinion of course. Please do what you like.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Makes sense, thank you for the info.

Yeah, the Vanity Shields are definitely a mixed bag. Just recently got the Ba’ul shield (at 199m) and I definitely like the jet black look. Other than the Pink shield, I still have the 32nd Century, Section 31 and Tzenkethi shields to go and I’ll have the full set. There are, of course, also the standard shield modules with visual components and I only have 5 of those to go as well. Just trying to keep it fresh and challenging for myself - been playing it for a while now. :)
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    @mutantcamel#2832 I have moved this thread to the general discussion area as it doesn't concern a bug report and you posted this under the bug reporting section initially. please don't post anything other than bug reports in the bug reporting area in the future.

With that obligatory bit out of the way, I've not heard anything about this lately. I would say that if this item does come back, it will most likely be tied to a charity event. Beyond that anything else I can say is speculation
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    How hard would it be for any proceeds for that item to be donated to the original charity?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    How hard would it be for any proceeds for that item to be donated to the original charity?

Good idea. Add it to the c-store for x weeks (or forever), track sales (which they do anyway), donate sales to the charity.

Cryptic even gets the tax deduction.

• Options
    PhaserReign77PhaserReign77 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > Good idea. Add it to the c-store for x weeks (or forever), track sales (which they do anyway), donate sales to the charity.
    >
    > Cryptic even gets the tax deduction.

> @davefenestrator said:
    > Good idea. Add it to the c-store for x weeks (or forever), track sales (which they do anyway), donate sales to the charity.
    >

> @davefenestrator said:
    >

Well the way I understand how these charity thing works is yes, Cryptic could do that but for them to start it the first place the Breast Cancer people have to pay Cryptic first to do it. It the same with the NFL, whenever they do breast cancer awareness nfl get paid by them to promote it. Thats why it is widely known that charties in general spent 90% of all donation on advertisement and only 10 percent goes to the actual cause.

So whenever you see those company promoting a cause, they were paid first. aso cryptic can’t make money from the Breast Cancer thing so why bother spendinf resource tracking it?

This is not a attack on the dev or anything, it just business 101. I quite love this game.
    Post edited by PhaserReign77 on
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    >

Well the way I understand how these charity thing works is yes, Cryptic could do that but for them to start it the first place the Breast Cancer people have to pay Cryptic first to do it. It the same with the NFL, whenever they do breast cancer awareness nfl get paid by them to promote it. Thats why it is widely known that charties in general spent 90% of all donation on advertisement and only 10 percent goes to the actual cause.

So whenever you see those company promoting a cause, they were paid first. aso cryptic can’t make money from the Breast Cancer thing so why bother spendinf resource tracking it?

This is not a attack on the dev or anything, it just business 101. I quite love this game.

This is the first I've heard even a whisper about Cryptic charging a charity to promote it.

I'm going to need some Cryptic-specific evidence to take that claim seriously.

My understanding is the opposite: Cryptic spends its money running their promotion, and gets at most a tax write-off for the expenses. Which is still a loss -- if you get a 20% write-off on spending $100 you have lost $80. I believe they do it anyway as a combination of marketing and staff wanting to make a difference.
  • Options
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > This is the first I've heard even a whisper about Cryptic charging a charity to promote it.
    >
    > I'm going to need some Cryptic-specific evidence to take that claim seriously.
    >
    > My understanding is the opposite: Cryptic spends its money running their promotion, and gets at most a tax write-off for the expenses. Which is still a loss -- if you get a 20% write-off on spending $100 you have lost $80. I believe they do it anyway as a combination of marketing and staff wanting to make a difference.

Its not. All charity are run by giving money to a company they want to promote it. Its not a well known thing because it is not reported on. There is breast cancer every year of every month. Cryptic could have run it indefinitely if they wanted to for perpetual tax write offs. But its a waste of time and limited resource unless the Breast Cancer throw in incentives aka money. Not the dev way but whoever own crytpic at the time.

it happens whenever you see those causes those causes are paying for the spot.

Charities hope is to have more money via spending money. Sometime it fails sometimes not.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > This is the first I've heard even a whisper about Cryptic charging a charity to promote it.
    >
    > I'm going to need some Cryptic-specific evidence to take that claim seriously.
    >
    > My understanding is the opposite: Cryptic spends its money running their promotion, and gets at most a tax write-off for the expenses. Which is still a loss -- if you get a 20% write-off on spending $100 you have lost $80. I believe they do it anyway as a combination of marketing and staff wanting to make a difference.

Its not. All charity are run by giving money to a company they want to promote it. Its not a well known thing because it is not reported on. There is breast cancer every year of every month. Cryptic could have run it indefinitely if they wanted to for perpetual tax write offs. But its a waste of time and limited resource unless the Breast Cancer throw in incentives aka money. Not the dev way but whoever own crytpic at the time.

it happens whenever you see those causes those causes are paying for the spot.

Charities hope is to have more money via spending money. Sometime it fails sometimes not.

cdc.jpg
    Cryptic gets paid in these things by free marketing. Somebody spends money on the vanity shield, they might spend it on something else. It's the same as when companies offer raffle prizes to promote NPR and PBS pledge drives: they're hoping you'll remember them positively and come back.

Also they get to write the cost of the promotion off on their taxes as a charitable contribution as somebody said up-thread.

What you're talking about is literally a crime: paying kickbacks of this sort is illegal.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    its not? its not kick back, it being paid to promote a cause. the charities worker is non profit which means they get paid just enough except for the guys in charge, they get paid more usually for “travel expenses”. If big companies like thr NFL does it, you think a small company like Cryptic or whoever own cryptic then is exempt and more noble or something?

Not sure if you know but one month out of the year back then there was a media blitz of breast cancer awareness from NFL,NBA, MLB and all sports, where you think the money that blitz came from?

Again charties spend 90% of their money on advertising and only 10% on said actual charties. There is no reason for Cryptic to do it cause they are not getting paid. A tax write off is one benefit but its not worth it in the long run.

Pretty much if Breast Cancer people paid them to run it again they will. Otherwise there is really nothijg stopping them from running it and giving the procedes year long to the chartity. But the Breast Cancer charities probably did not get a lot of money from the Cryptic event or perhapw jusr broke even (aka not enough bout the shield) and so its not worth them pursing Cryptic when they need to advertise for their cause.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    i-dont-think-it-works-like-that-ensign-rutherford.gif

You're basically implying that a Charity event is nothing more than a scam.

A Charity is not a business out to make money for themselves. Its meant to help a cause, like in this case Breast Cancer research. If it worked as you said, they'd get basically NOTHING in return for the charity drive because almost all of it goes back to advertising said charity and not the REASON for the charity.

That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!

Also why do major sports support these things? BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE WATCH SPORTS! That means the likelyhood of someone willing to donate is higher than if you put it on during a TV broadcast of a movie or during the news.

The Mirror Guardian was one tied to a charity drive. Cryptic is not being paid to sell it in the C-Store. They CHOSE to sell that ship years after the initial drive.

Will the Breast Cancer Awareness stuff be available again? Maybe, maybe not. More likely around Breast Cancer Awareness Month frankly. But the point of a charity is not a paid advertising scam!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The attitude around this Vanity shield once again (it has been brought up before) appears rather hostile. Like 'How dare you ask for a Shield that came from a charity!'

I am still asking, though. :) I missed out on the event, back when, and would still like a pink Shield. And here's what's really going to bake your noodle, later on... it doesn't have to be the exact same Shield from the Breast Cancer Awareness event per se; just make it so I can be pretty in pink as well. In essence, asking for a pink shield is no different than people asking for a black shield or something. The animosity around this Shield is unwarranted, really.

And while we're at it, I'd finally like an engine with a red trail, too. See, no foul in asking for a color.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    No one has an "attitude" about asking for a Shield. However, people do seem to have gotten a bit bent out of shape over someone's inaccurate description of how charities work. Just because someone is wrong, folks, doesn't mean they have nefarious intent and need to be roasted over it. That being said, let's drop that part of the discussion and move on. Please keep the conversation civil. Thank you.]
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    My understanding is the opposite: Cryptic spends its money running their promotion, and gets at most a tax write-off for the expenses. Which is still a loss -- if you get a 20% write-off on spending $100 you have lost $80. I believe they do it anyway as a combination of marketing and staff wanting to make a difference.

^^ This. If Cryptic were to get any money for it, it would only be a nominal amount. Rather, I think they do it, because it's an easy way to do The Right Thing(tm). And, believe it or not, most people like to make a difference. Were I be working for Cryptic, I'd be honored when asked to work on a Pink Shield or something -- even if I had to do so in my own time.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Cryptic should do more shields, just get approval from the charities. a Red and White for the Red Cross, Red and Silver for St Jude (Assuming St Jude approves the colors) Blue and white for Unicef, on and on. Imagine how cool it would be if funding from a vanity shield helped cure diabetes or alzheimers
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Technically we already have a medical vanity shield.
    https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Medical_Vanity_Shield
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    husk10#9106 husk10 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Will the Breast Cancer Awareness stuff be available again? Maybe, maybe not. More likely around Breast Cancer Awareness Month frankly. But the point of a charity is not a paid advertising scam!

I would just like to point out that it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    ForYou wrote: »
    But the Breast Cancer charities probably did not get a lot of money from the Cryptic event or perhaps just broke even (aka not enough bout the shield) and so its not worth them pursing Cryptic when they need to advertise for their cause.

According to the Groupees Breast Cancer Bundle page, they made just shy of $75k in total sales. What NBCF received after operational costs + fees is anyone's guess.

Post edited by husk10#9106 on
  • Options
    ForYou wrote: »
    But the Breast Cancer charities probably did not get a lot of money from the Cryptic event or perhaps just broke even (aka not enough bout the shield) and so its not worth them pursing Cryptic when they need to advertise for their cause.

According to the Groupies Breast Cancer Bundle page, they made just shy of $75k in total sales. What NBCF received after operational costs + fees is anyone's guess.

I do believe NBCF is not a direct recipient per se. Rather, it's about exactly creating Awareness for the cause, that hopefully generates revenue, indirectly.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do believe NBCF is not a direct recipient per se. Rather, it's about exactly creating Awareness for the cause, that hopefully generates revenue, indirectly.

According to the announcement on the Groupees page:

100% of proceeds will be donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation (after operational costs + fees, and up to $75,000). That suggests to me they were a direct recipient.

Post edited by husk10#9106 on
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

According to the announcement on the Groupies page:

100% of proceeds will be donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation (after operational costs + fees, and up to $75,000). That suggests to me they were a direct recipient.

Good. :) Still, you do understand that 75 thousand is not something the National Breast Cancer Foundation can live on. At the end of the day, I still believe the real money will come from the Awareness. But every bit of money helps, of course.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Goodness! I had no idea this would cause such a stir when I first asked the question (apologies to @darkbladejk for initially putting it in the wrong forum area). I also had no idea of the inherent complexities of charity drives as described here. Well, if it returns, awesome. If not, I understand the caveats involved. Thanks all for the helpful answers. Much appreciated. And yes, I agree that different shield types for different charity donations would be a really good way to support worthy philanthropies. I’d definitely be interested in that.
  • Options
    foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    I quite like the fact that STO has these charity events for good causes, so i am always up for any more that come along in the future. :)
This discussion has been closed.