test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

0718 BOFF

trek1968trek1968 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
I was jsut wondering if there will ever be a Rihannsu version of the 0718 BoFF taht Fed captain's can claim in the zen store? B)

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Not if they want to be canon-compatible, the Romulans trust AI even less than the Federation does, by a considerable amount in fact.
  • Options
    Not if they want to be canon-compatible, the Romulans trust AI even less than the Federation does, by a considerable amount in fact.
    Well, technically, that is merely a small minority of them that has the issue with AI, not the entire species. But, it would not have to be an android. It would be a biological person from that era/timeline.

• Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    If you want 0718, play as Starfleet. Just because he's unique to Starfleet doesn't mean there isn't anything in the store that's unique to the RRF faction...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    trek1968 wrote: »
    Well, technically, that is merely a small minority of them that has the issue with AI, not the entire species. But, it would not have to be an android. It would be a biological person from that era/timeline.

Correction, only a small minority are fanatics, but according to dialog those fanatics make sure there is enough anti-synth/anti-AI propaganda circulating to make even the normal Romulans very skeptical about them. Also, while there has not been a lot of scenes on Romulan ships, the ones that do exist do not seem to have an AI voice command and response system like Federation and at least some Klingon ships do.
  • Options
    Correction, only a small minority are fanatics, but according to dialog those fanatics make sure there is enough anti-synth/anti-AI propaganda circulating to make even the normal Romulans very skeptical about them. Also, while there has not been a lot of scenes on Romulan ships, the ones that do exist do not seem to have an AI voice command and response system like Federation and at least some Klingon ships do.

As to the subject of Rihannsu ship AI?? You may want to rewatch the TNG episode "Contagion." We clearly heard the shp's computer counting down, in Rihannsu language, to auto-destruct. Which would be a standard feature.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

As to the subject of Rihannsu ship AI?? You may want to rewatch the TNG episode "Contagion." We clearly heard the shp's computer counting down, in Rihannsu language, to auto-destruct. Which would be a standard feature.

It has voice readout in at least a few things, but afaik no Romulan has ever been shown giving voice commands to a true AI like the Federation uses so it is unclear whether they have one or the countdown was done with simple voice recordings on a more limited computer system.

Personally, I think you are right and the traditional Trek leans more towards the Romulans having AI technology not too far behind the Federation and Klingon AI-driven ship's computers (and in fact the Romulan D7s would have had the original Klingon systems most likely), but current canon established in PIC insists that they are not, and the traditional stuff can be interpreted in a way that supports that new canon rather easily since it was a bit hazy to begin with.
  • Options
    Faith Manages!! B)