test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Brand New Shi'Kahr!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
edited August 2022 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We are pleased to announce that with the Summer Event we will be updating the ShiKahr variant of the Light Cruiser family to a completely redesigned and rebuilt model.

This new version of the ShiKahr has been reimagined as a mid-24th century starship, conceived as a light cruiser contemporary to the Cheyenne, Galaxy, and Nebula classes.

This model was designed and built by Eric Henry, starshipwright extraordinaire.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11520243-a-brand-new-shi'kahr!
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This is... unexpected, and kinda awesome. pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    will the Constitution gain the "Miranda Gamma" nacelles because the Constitution refit shares the same nacelles as the Mirandas?
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Despite not being a fan of the ship, i can appreciate it that the model gets updated.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Been waiting for this, since I first seen and heard of this a few weeks ago.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    damocles2209damocles2209 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    This looks SO much better than the original.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    I like the original better. To that end, i have one of those on one of my characters and I already changed to a different skin cause the new one is bleh.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    While the new skin is ok on its own if one is going for a smaller stablemate of the Galaxy-class, it is just too typically TNG to replace the Shi'Kahr as a source of unusual parts for kitbashing which the original provided.

It also is a total failure in conveying the sense of a coolly logical, utterly pragmatic armed utility ship which is all function with little or no attention to form that the Shi'Kahr had with its no-nonsense hard angles, obvious extensions to the rim of the saucer, and bolted-on additional pods. The new skin is slick form-over-function, which is not always a bad thing btw, but it is the total opposite of the original Shi'Kahr which leaves a bad gap in the kitbash kit.

As I said in the other thread, when the skin changes I will be regretfully dismissing the ship from the character who uses it as their main ship since it no longer fits the theme of the character, and either re-tailoring a few other ships on other characters which used Shi-Kahr parts or switching to new main ships for them too :(

Ruining the Shi'Kahr skin instead of just adding the new one to the stable of light cruisers of that design lineage as the latest model is almost as bad as if the devs decided to simply swap out the TNG Klingon race and make all of them DSC Klingons retroactively or arbitrarily removed whole uniform sets from the character tailor.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    The new one is nice and all but please, please, please keep the old one in there too!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    lazerboyfives#3009 lazerboyfives Member Posts: 1 New User
    Will the old Version still be available?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    If the old model is indeed removed it sets a unknown precedent. So far, they never to my knowledge took things away from players. Will other legacy designs removed as well?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    pixel#8288 pixel Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thank you! Really like the updates and hoping more ships are revisited. I do share concerns about removal of options but I think here the old model was not in keeping with the universe.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    This is a gorgeous looking model for the upgrade :)
  • Options
    sarinamirtis#3818 sarinamirtis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Greetings! The new Shi'kahr is nice - the old was also nice, and much more unique. I wish, as others have stated, that the old kit pieces would remain alongside the new remaster - why do we have to lose something to gain something? Additionaly, the Saratoga 'strut' pieces clip into the new Shi'Kahr 'saucer' section, womp womp. . .
    nci0w5b5s3jv.png
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    The deflector housing (engineering section) looks like it was glued on and doesn't follow (there's a seam between them).

The points of connection (pylons???) between the new struts and the saucer section (directly under the deflector housing) should be at the saucer, not above it (visible in SarinaMirtis's image above, behind the bridge).

The shuttle bays (if that's what they are) along the front edge of the saucer have nicely detailed landing stripes on the floor, but the skin wraps around and onto the ceiling, giving the appearance of wide windows set into the ceiling where there wouldn't even be room enough for people to be...

Any of the windows options give escape pods that are MASSIVE compared to the rest of the ship. The skins for windows need to be drastically reduced, or a new skin created specifically for this ship. These escape pods give the ship the appearance of being about the size of the old Oberth... Unless that's the point...

Just a few things I noticed about the new model...

I actually considered flying the new Shikhar with a crew using the Lower Decks uniform (from the Lobi Store)... It's really not bad, except for the details I've given above... I own the TOS-style Legendary Miranda, so it's an option I'd love to maybe use in the future...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    crm14916 wrote: »
    The deflector housing (engineering section) looks like it was glued on and doesn't follow (there's a seam between them).

The points of connection (pylons???) between the new struts and the saucer section (directly under the deflector housing) should be at the saucer, not above it (visible in SarinaMirtis's image above, behind the bridge).

The shuttle bays (if that's what they are) along the front edge of the saucer have nicely detailed landing stripes on the floor, but the skin wraps around and onto the ceiling, giving the appearance of wide windows set into the ceiling where there wouldn't even be room enough for people to be...

Any of the windows options give escape pods that are MASSIVE compared to the rest of the ship. The skins for windows need to be drastically reduced, or a new skin created specifically for this ship. These escape pods give the ship the appearance of being about the size of the old Oberth... Unless that's the point...

Just a few things I noticed about the new model...

I actually considered flying the new Shikhar with a crew using the Lower Decks uniform (from the Lobi Store)... It's really not bad, except for the details I've given above... I own the TOS-style Legendary Miranda, so it's an option I'd love to maybe use in the future...

CM

I noticed those problems too; I wonder why they were not caught by the modeler or any testers (if there were any), though I get the impression that those uprights on the top of the saucer were necessary to mate with one of the 'strut' options correctly.

I think those lit "window" things visible on the ceilings inside the forcefield covered bays are just lighting panels in the ceiling (though why they would use what was considered rather quaint tech in TOS in an all-too-TNG-era-specific ship I don't know). And what the shallow, black-painted depression over those bays is supposed to be is anyone's guess, like the similar depressions that replaced the holes in the original Shi'kahr skin further back on the saucer, those depressions do not seem to serve any useful purpose.

To be fair though, I suppose they could be some sort of landing pad/charge station for whatever they launch from those bays, for times when they want to keep them out on standby or whatever. At least that is what I consider them to be on the one ship I have that uses that new Shi'kahr saucer anyway (I had to dump all of my other ships built from that Reliant/Miranda kitbash kit because the new skin parts ruined them for the various character motifs they were in use on and there just was nothing left in the kit that worked). On the other hand, I did come up with one that works for another character that uses a different motif.

On the original Shi'kahr skin the holes at the back looked like they could have been pass-throughs for some kind toroid shaped energy field from the matching blue-glowing panels that were on the top and bottom of the saucer close behind those holes. If that is the case, then covering them with some kind of conduit would have been about the only thing that would have been more of an unnecessary waste of material than putting needless holes in the saucer, so it makes sense.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I think my biggest beef with it is the sheer size of the escape pods... Wow they're huge...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I think my biggest beef with it is the sheer size of the escape pods... Wow they're huge...

True, they are ridiculously oversized. They even look bigger than the ones on the Nova, and that is a tiny ship (a science frigate) whereas the Shi'kahr is two size-classes bigger, a light cruiser. Those "escape pods" on the Shi'kahr would be almost the size of a 7-11 (convenience store).
  • Options
    rangeramongyourangeramongyou Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    You think that's bad? Slap the Centaur saucer, Shi'kahr strut and Clarke pylons on and you get this monstrosity.
    Now, I love me some weird kitbashing, but this is just... I dunno. Putting on other pylons doesn't line them up with the strut's connector, which arguably looks worse.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the new model, I just wish that, if possible, the model rigging had been more thoroughly tested to prevent things like this.
    EDIT: spelling
    occtm859sq2b.png
    Greetings! The new Shi'kahr is nice - the old was also nice, and much more unique. I wish, as others have stated, that the old kit pieces would remain alongside the new remaster - why do we have to lose something to gain something? Additionaly, the Saratoga 'strut' pieces clip into the new Shi'Kahr 'saucer' section, womp womp. . .
    nci0w5b5s3jv.png

Post edited by rangeramongyou on
  • Options
    ragingloliragingloli Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    That new model looks really nice. I hope the fate that befell the old Shi'Kahr model awaits all of the early STO greebly monstrosities.
This discussion has been closed.