test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The bright pink glow from the Kuumaarke Visionary Ground Set looks ridiculous

valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,726 Arc User
Why does this set need to bathe my character in a bright pink glowing shield? Sorry for being blunt, but this looks completely and totally ridiculous. I spend quite a lot of time crafting the look of my characters. I would like to you know, actually see them as I am playing. It is bad enough that space combat is essentially unplayable due to the washing out of the screen due to the overuse of VFX spam. I guess now it is ground combat's turn.

Please stop making abilities with this VFX vomit nonsense. Please?
Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
thecosmic1 wrote:
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,102 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Why does this set need to bathe my character in a bright pink glowing shield? Sorry for being blunt, but this looks completely and totally ridiculous. I spend quite a lot of time crafting the look of my characters. I would like to you know, actually see them as I am playing. It is bad enough that space combat is essentially unplayable due to the washing out of the screen due to the overuse of VFX spam. I guess now it is ground combat's turn.

Very much enjoyed playing Forged in Fire to get this set as to me it's a nicely designed TFO and I always enjoy ground combat.

However, after being subject to the "pink sphere effect" from others using this set multiple times it's unfortunately been added to my claimed once but never equipped list.

Really have no idea what the people who designed the visual where thinking as it can significantly obscure ground game play even when you're not using the set yourself.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    An option to disable visuals would be a godsend. As it is I've moved the drone off my hotbar and onto the "Do not click in the presence of others ever" section of buttons
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,102 Arc User
    As it is I've moved the drone off my hotbar and onto the "Do not click in the presence of others ever" section of buttons

That is very kind of you :smile:
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It's crazy how much Cryptic has devoted to visual spam despite constant requests from players to go the exact opposite direction. I can only assume that their metrics show that items with excessive visuals are more popular then those without them, that's only a guess of course.

It's clear though that they're devoted to the philosophy of getting as many visual effects on the screen at once as possible, and it's perplexing why they continue to insist on this. This is true in both ground and space, and it's actually been this way for some time now.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    I would not mind if the excessive bright color was toned down and if we were given an option to disable it entirely.

Especially during the last event where everyone just got that set and tested it the visual spam was unpleasant.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,662 Arc User
    It's crazy how much Cryptic has devoted to visual spam despite constant requests from players to go the exact opposite direction. I can only assume that their metrics show that items with excessive visuals are more popular then those without them, that's only a guess of course.

It's clear though that they're devoted to the philosophy of getting as many visual effects on the screen at once as possible, and it's perplexing why they continue to insist on this. This is true in both ground and space, and it's actually been this way for some time now.

Cryptic = IOI
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    When you're in that pink bubble you can't see anything clearly out of it . I do wish there was an option to mute the intensity of the colors,
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    This is an additive problem that gets worse every update.

And here you have nailed the true crux of the issue.

If Cryptic didn't want to go back and spend time actively reducing the spam on current items or putting the work into a system to disable VFX on demand, there is an even easier method then any of that. You simply make the newest gear 'non flashy.'

Newer players will use the gear they can get now, and if you make the newest the 'latest and greatest' then veterans will swap out their items for the new stuff. They don't even have to do anything retroactive.. they can just change the standard going forward and the problem will either fix itself, or at least greatly minimize as people start using the newer gear that is less visually assaulting.

Instead, Cryptic has actually doubled down, and the newer stuff is even more flashy and seizure triggering then past items. Cryptic has put a clear developmental focus on increasing visual spam, it's part of their mandate and it's clearly intentional.
    I think Cryptic is just doing this to troll the players at this point.

I would argue this point if I had a leg to stand on, but I don't. I can't even argue that flashy sells better as this set is a free in game reward. We have had several free event items that have followed this trend, it can't even be attributed to monetization.

Honestly, the only thing left is just their passive aggressive way of telling players to STFU. It's actually quite childish and clearly intentional.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,762 Arc User
    The pink glow on the character and the frying noise does not bother me at all (it even ties in perfectly with the theme of one of my characters), just the not-translucent-enough walls of energy that the drone throws up because it makes seeing things difficult.
  • diesel#3831 diesel Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    yes, some of my characters looks good in pink glow, others not so good. we definitely need "turn off visuals" option on this set, same as we have for some space shields/engines/deflectors. pls!!! devs, add such option as soon as you can. ty
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Why is it a permanent effect and not only associated with the armour's ability? This must be an error - mind you, one they won't fix, but this can't be intentional.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    The pink glow on the character and the frying noise does not bother me at all (it even ties in perfectly with the theme of one of my characters), just the not-translucent-enough walls of energy that the drone throws up because it makes seeing things difficult.

That's just a recolor of the Green Protomatter Healing Drone. Which is almost but not quite as bad.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Why is it a permanent effect and not only associated with the armour's ability? This must be an error - mind you, one they won't fix, but this can't be intentional.

The pink glow on your captain comes from the 2p bonus. If it's permanent, it's because your shields are full often enough to constantly refresh the buff. Which doesn't take much, since it has a 30s duration.

This is really annoying, because yes in combat shields will be often enough full again. I did a ground TFO and basically never stopped glowing the entire run.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Oh no, it doesn't have free VFX spam does it? Was looking forward to a ready to go set I can one click and use too. That event starts for us console peasants in a day or two.

Guess I should have known there'd be a catch.
    Great, why can't we just have nice things with no VFX garbage.

Ground TFOs are already creeping up to space tier seizure inducement as it is.
    Wouldn't surprise me, given how sensitive certain parties are on that side of things.
This discussion has been closed.