test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is the "Specters" arc not available anymore?

rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
I know that the featured episodes were taken out of the normal story arcs, and were set to be kind of like standalone arcs, where you can get them from your Available Missions list.
But, I have a new Delta Recruit character, and they haven's gotten Drake's contact to start the story arc. I did get it for the Nimbus arc.
Is there some kind of restriction on when it becomes available? It used to be a level 20 mission series.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,489 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    To answer your question the Spectres arc is in the Available tab. It unlocks when you reach level 65 and complete the mission Galaxy At Large as well as the pertinent information that inferiority posted about how it is unlocked by the different factions.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,541 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    In theory level 65 anyway, but it fails to unlock even then for a lot of characters (there seems to be a capricious bug in the unlock requirement checks).

Even when it does unlock it is way, way too late for the mission, especially since it still only has the original level 20-30 type awards instead of being in the perfect spot for additional Andorian phasers for TOS characters' ships as more weapon slots unlock and TOS hand phasers for additional boffs.

Its removal from that sweet-spot is one of the many gumption traps that TOS fans have to deal with in this mainly TNG-oriented game, and by the time it is available the rewards are absolutely useless since the player has already had to make other arrangements (often just saying F*-it and going with non-TOS style weapons instead of staying in theme).

Undoubtedly that skews the statistics about it and gives the devs the false idea that people don't like it when it is actually one of the best of the old missions left.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,046 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    But, I have a new Delta Recruit character, and they haven's gotten Drake's contact to start the story arc. I did get it for the Nimbus arc.
    Is there some kind of restriction on when it becomes available? It used to be a level 20 mission series.
    As mentioned above, you need to be level 65.
    Additionally:
    • Dominion and Romulan Republic character need to have chosen an ally.
    • Federation and Federation-aligned Jem'Hadar characters need to complete "The Galaxy At Large"
    • Romulan Republic characters (probably) need to have completed "The Bigger Picture".
      (This was the mission that opened up sector travel, which still sometimes blocks access to things.)
    • KDF and KDF-aligned Jem'Hadar characters need to complete "Duties of Command".
    If you're level 65 and fulfil the requirements of your character according to the above, you should have a little wrapper mission from Quinn/J'mpok called "Spectres".
    Even when it does unlock it is way, way too late for the mission, especially since it still only has the original level 30 type awards.
    As with the vast majority of missions. the rewards scale to the level you accepted the mission.
    Given that you don't get it until level 65 nowadays, you can enjoy Mk XI mission rewards, not level 30 Mk VI rewards.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Even when it does unlock it is way, way too late for the mission, especially since it still only has the original level 30 type awards.
    As with the vast majority of missions. the rewards scale to the level you accepted the mission.
    Given that you don't get it until level 65 nowadays, you can enjoy Mk XI mission rewards, not level 30 Mk VI rewards.

I was referring to the fact that the weapons still drop at early-to-midgame quality, not their tier. Most endgame gear drops at VR and higher, not Rare, blue-quality is a liability at XI/XII since chances are that they will still be Rare when it hits XV and beating them against the top-end wall until the quality increases is extremely inefficient at that highest tech-point-requirement-per-level bracket.

And even if it was not so inefficient that it is questionable whether it is worth the number of upgrades it takes (or worse, an ultimate tech upgrade), the fact remains that at level 65 the weapon slots they would have been so perfect for have long been filled by other weapons (usually gear from K-13 if the person is trying to keep it to theme) since few if any players would be inclined to run with empty weapon slots until then and they are character-bound so they just sit in inventory.
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    -sighs-
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too, but was trying to be somewhat optimistic.

I can't understand why they decided to change the story arcs. Yeah some of the missions were unnecessary, but there were also a lot of missions that helped tell that story arc.

For example:
    The Klingon War (Fed side): Why is B'Vat starting up the war? How did we find out about a doomsday machine? There were missions that led up to that, and it seems a waste now that we just go to the Amaga syetm and poof fight the planet killer.

The Romulan Mystery (Fed side): THIS!!! This is even worse! The whole lead up and reveal that the Iconians were involved. I mean come on! We go through the Obesik arc and then POOF! Sela get captured by the Iconians.

Sure the patrol missions got boring after awhile as filler, but there were some decent missions with stories and backdrop that really made the beginning game so intriguing and sort of pulled you into an actual Star Trek episode.

It would be so nice if some of those would be brought back (yeah I know I might as well ask Santa Claus for the sole winning numbers to a PowerBall lottery) but if I had a wish item for STO, that would be it.

Bring the story back.

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    I want to see those old quests come back....to HELL with what Discovery says, I say.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I thoiught the discovery rep was a lost oppertunity to add a special type of phaser in that had a blue beam and could sastify TOS/DSC era fans a bit
  • Options
    I thoiught the discovery rep was a lost oppertunity to add a special type of phaser in that had a blue beam and could sastify TOS/DSC era fans a bit

When the DSC rep was made there weren't any beam phasers in the show at all, just those wimpy spark-snap things like the ones mounted on the Discovery. I don't think they showed any beams until the end of season two.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    for people not in fleets, it's the only way to get a non-sniper type 3 rifle
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User

When the DSC rep was made there weren't any beam phasers in the show at all, just those wimpy spark-snap things like the ones mounted on the Discovery. I don't think they showed any beams until the end of season two.

I use either the t1 constitution auto level phasers, leveled out with phoenix tokens, or the stuff the k-13 stuff. The Discovery phasers are too star wars like to me.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2022

I use either the t1 constitution auto level phasers, leveled out with phoenix tokens, or the stuff the k-13 stuff. The Discovery phasers are too star wars like to me.

I usually either use the twin-beam array white quality ones from AoY (the ones that can be leveled normally) which start at Mk I, so they are usually at least magenta quality later in the game from phoenix upgrades, and later the K-13 ones if I can get them and still need some. Getting free MK V-VII blue quality ones (that still had enough upgrades to go that they usually ended up at least VR by XII) from one of the best of the old mission arcs in the game was just a lot more fun and convenient.

A lot of the time nowadays though I just grab some other primary-shade blue, red, or even green phasers (when I can get them) and call it a day (and yes, TOS used those colors too, especially the red which was used almost as often as the blue if you watch TOS instead of TOS-R).
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    -

The Romulan Mystery (Fed side): THIS!!! This is even worse! The whole lead up and reveal that the Iconians were involved. I mean come on! We go through the Obesik arc and then POOF! Sela get captured by the Iconians.

They do actually start teasing and feeding out the Iconian's a bit before that. There are some hints in Empress Sela and Shadow Play. Taris puts the Iconian Tech out in plain sight. Obisek outright tells you about them in frozen, although he refers to them as the Demons of Air and Fire. And in Coliseum you actually find enough evidence on Hakeev's computers to convinve Admiral T'nae that the Iconian's are behind it all. Granted if you just click through the dialog boxes and reading yeah the first time it becomes clear from gameplay that the Iconian's are involved is when they show up to nab Sela.

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,351 Community Moderator
    Yeah, I don't get why they had to go messing with the story arc structure, especially when some story arcs that were moved to higher level requirements actually originally served as lead-up content to something else.

This falls under the category I call "Stupid decisions made by Cryptic," Also in this category are the missions they removed, stating intent to revamp them and bring them back later, but have yet to be bothered to do so. I call their removal a stupid decision because I think most people would want to play content in need of a revamp while waiting for the revamp which has yet to come. When Earth Space Dock was redesigned, they didn't remove it from the game. At the end of one arc it got totally blown to hell, and then immediately after, we load into the brand new map... So essentially, one minute we would have loaded into the old map, and then the next, the new one. If they can do that with ESD, then they could have done the same thing to the content that they decided needed to be revamped. Instead, it's gone, and nothing has been revamped.

Yet another item of evidence that goes towards my perception-based assessment of Cryptic's treatment of this game.

Here's an instance where I can agree with you. I DO NOT agree with the removal of content.

I understand their view of, "Well, it doesn't match the quality level of what we're putting out now," and since it's earlier (in game/story progression) content, they don't want new players to get a bad first impression with the look of the game. I get that. And I agree with revamping it to get it up to par. But removing it entirely until they "get around to it?" No. Because who knows when that will be. If ever.

They've revamped the tutorial how many times now? They certainly didn't remove it before they did that. So, we've got these new, enhanced tutorials that look great, but then one of your earliest FED missions is Stranded in Space. :unamused: They added on your ship's shiny new transporter room and some dramatic-camera-angle cut scenes, but the rest of the mission is still that cavernous, old freighter/generic ship interior with the early graphics look of the game. Certainly not the standard by which they're generating maps now. THIS mission is still in the game, but missions that actually built up story arcs have been removed. :unamused:

And then taking some of these missions out of mission/story progression and sticking them at the end due to level restrictions or just moving their order around within the story? Narratively, they don't end up making sense out of order like that. Not to mention the proper introduction of several characters gets messed up by doing this, ex) Franklin Drake.

Then there's the issue with missions that are removed having Accolades that go unfinished/are no longer obtainable.

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Not only would it be great if they had either left the to-be-revamped missions in place until they actually had a replacement, it would have also been better to leave most of the missions in the "available" tab in place instead of moving them around the time that they got the skip working properly which negates the need to remove them (supposedly for streamlining) in the first place.

Ironically, after years of trying to fix the McCoy bug in Spectres (which aside from the bug is the best puzzle-based mission in the game and one of very few TOS-based missions) they finally got it fixed, then within a month or so moved it to "available" which brought a variant of the bug back. And it is not the only mission that has had problems from the ill-conceived move.
This discussion has been closed.