test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to move STO from one SSD drive to another SSD

parish#5017 parish Member Posts: 127 Arc User
Hi, I am needing to free up some drive space and want to move STO with the least problems. I've heard that just copy, paste and change the ARC shortcut will work. Seems fantastic if so.
Windows 10. ARC installed. Both are SSD drives

Thanks for any useful input.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• diesel#3831 diesel Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    yes. just copy/paste. then in launcher options change path to new game location
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Best way simply is go into your drive that currently holds the files for STO.
    Mine is held on my secondary drive, so what you need instead of copying the whole folder itself is go into it, and simply copy the "live folder".
    That way you do the initial install of STO, log in and as soon as the patching begins, shut it down so it does not update.
    Then find the live folder in newly installed folder and simply paste over your copied version of the live folder..
    eo0ypdar5syh.jpg
    Hope that helps, as it will save you a very large download patch from the internet..
  • parish#5017 parish Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Best way simply is go into your drive that currently holds the files for STO.
    Mine is held on my secondary drive, so what you need instead of copying the whole folder itself is go into it, and simply copy the "live folder".
    That way you do the initial install of STO, log in and as soon as the patching begins, shut it down so it does not update.
    Then find the live folder in newly installed folder and simply paste over your copied version of the live folder..
    eo0ypdar5syh.jpg
    Hope that helps, as it will save you a very large download patch from the internet..

That makes sense, thanks will give it a try.

DONE! Moved and used this method but both would have worked. Thanks for the input
    Post edited by parish#5017 on
  • parish#5017 parish Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    yes. just copy/paste. then in launcher options change path to new game location

Thanks! :smile:
  • wolfswetpaws#2250 wolfswetpaws Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Silly me.
    I would uninstall the game.
    Then I'd re-install the game in the new folder.
    After that I'd just log-in to my account as usual.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    Silly me.

It must be nice having fast internet... The last time I had to do a full install on a system that I couldn't take to somewhere else with faster internet, I had to leave it downloading overnight. Gotta love rural US internet.
  • wolfswetpaws#2250 wolfswetpaws Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Silly me.

It must be nice having fast internet... The last time I had to do a full install on a system that I couldn't take to somewhere else with faster internet, I had to leave it downloading overnight. Gotta love rural US internet.

Yes. It is nice.
    It hadn't occurred to me that you might be traveling or in a location with slow internet.
    Thanks for providing a useful dose of perspective.
    This topic is educational, though, to learn the "work-arounds" that people have figured-out.
This discussion has been closed.