test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly

xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
edited May 2022 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Can't get past this. Have tried multiple times now. Anyone else having this problem here? I'm seeing it being reported on the subreddit

System
Win 8.1
i7 4790k
GT 1030
16Gb RAM

Normally use the direct launcher rather than go through Arc. But after trying the Arc launcher (just incase it was related), I got a prompt to update the launcher and now Arc also doesn't work! I see the checking for updates window, then "Connecting to account" window and then nothing. Nothing even on the task manager. It's like it's failing to load properly. The direct launcher still loads.

Edit--The Arc launcher is working now. However, the game isn't loading through that either
Post edited by xaraman on

Comments

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    I'm having trouble logging in, too.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • nedhr#1045 nedhr Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    If you're running this in Wine on Linux, I found a fix. The problem is with d3d12.dll. It's located in C:/Windows/system32. Replace this dll with the 64-bit version from this github: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton
    You want version 2.6, version 2.5 won't work.
  • admiralwolfadmiralwolf Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    As of this last update; May 10th, STO is now unavailable to me, that is, I cannot access. As I 'engage' the launcher (attempt connection to the game client), as the attempt fails, a system generated message responds: "Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly."

Also, as I've tried multiple times to access Arc/Cryptic 'support', each and every time was a bust...I'd be repeatedly sent back to the game selector page, where I'd have to again select STO, then 'Support'...at which point I was returned to the very same game selector page.

So I cannot access either STO...or any form of 'support'; at this point.

Nothing at my end has changed, in any manner. I can access all other 'places', I-Net is solid at 300/20. I-Net connectivity is confirmed. This May 10th update has completely taken away my access.

I'm degreed in Electrical Engineering and 'others', used to specialize in systems programming, telecommunications, cyber security...before joining the USAF. All hardware is checked out at this point, as is connectivity (solid pings at multiple locations), NVIDIA card's more than capable/running cool/fully functional. I encounter no problems accessing all other sites. Other 'games/sims' run normally, lightning fast...two of which are far more demanding than STO.

Oh yeah...I uninstalled STO. Before reloading the game, I did a full system's restore back to yesterday, then reloaded the game. That went fine. I accessed the STO launcher, 'engaged'/launched, and as before, moments later I received the system genned message "Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly."

This problem is not at my end. It is a byproduct of this last update. The ball's in Cryptic's court, exclusively.

and as I cannot file a proper bug report, I can only hope someone with Cryptic SEES THIS.
  • demonpotter99demonpotter99 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Im also having this issue. I cant get logged in at all.
  • luckyatpwc1979luckyatpwc1979 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Still got "Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly"

At least my number of posts on here number is going up
    Been playing for ages and need more coffee
    12 hours later still have not have not been able to logon. :(

I'll try again tonight.
  • thecat99thecat99 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    I confirm the same problem here. Concensus (reddit) is that the last update (10 May 2022) broke the game on Windows 8.1

A bit of fiddling here reveals the game is looking for d3d12.dll - this is the DirectX 12 library and is not available on Windows 8.

Like everyone else, I cannot get into the game to formally report the problem so we are relying on ARC support reading this forum or reddit.

Can someone who can get into the game formally report the problem for all of us??? and thanks if you do.

Edit: Of course this means that no amount of resinstalling and messing with graphics drivers will help you.

Here is the evidence ...
    Faulting application name: GameClient.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62760c2f
    Faulting module name: d3d12.dll, version: 6.3.9600.20302, time stamp: 0x62157684
    Exception code: 0xc0000135
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000ed1b0
    Faulting process ID: 0x48c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d8655292f049b7
    Faulting application path: \Games\STO\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\x64\GameClient.exe [\b]
    Faulting module path: d3d12.dll
    Report ID: d0a8573d-d145-11ec-8552-fcf8ae68128f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Post edited by thecat99 on
  • thecat99thecat99 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The last update 10 May 1022 broke the game on Windows 8 so I am getting the same problem. The game is now looking for d3d12.dll which is DirectX 12 and not available on Windows 8.

Like all of you I cannot get to the help to formally report the problem - can someone with access report the problem for all of us??? thank you if you do.

This means that no amount of reinstalling the game, messing with graphics drivers, using ARC launcher or not or anything else will affect the problem.

Here are the breadcrumbs from the Event Log ...

Faulting application name: GameClient.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62760c2f
    Faulting module name: d3d12.dll, version: 6.3.9600.20302, time stamp: 0x62157684
    Exception code: 0xc0000135
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000ed1b0
    Faulting process ID: 0x48c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d8655292f049b7
    Faulting application path: D:\Games\STO\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\x64\GameClient.exe
    Faulting module path: d3d12.dll
    Report ID: d0a8573d-d145-11ec-8552-fcf8ae68128f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
  • nedhr#1045 nedhr Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    It's a known problem, here is what I received when I filed a bug report yesterday through the website:
    We've received other reports of this same issue. It is a known issue and the developers are currently investigating.

Unfortunately Customer Service is unable to resolve the issue directly so we will need to wait for the fix to come from the development team.

We are currently unaware of an ETA for a potential fix.

To increase visibility for the issue, or to see if other users found a workaround, we'd recommend posting about this issue on the official bug reports forum: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience and support.

Running the game on Linux, I had to manually add the d3d12.dll to my Wine installation. That should work on Mac through Wine as well. If you're running Windows, you'll need to be running Windows 10 with DirectX 12.
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    "Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly" yes the same for me.
  • mahaut#6979 mahaut Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    "Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly" yes the same for me.
    Don't help: Force verify, Safe mode, Update Arc, Reinstall Arc, launching the game via Steam.
    From the Event Log: "The description for event ID 0 from the ArcService source cannot be found. The component causing this event is not installed on this local computer or is corrupted. Install or restore the component on the local computer."
    As of this last update: May 10th from 13 to 16.30 UTC maintenance, STO is now unavailable to me, that is, I cannot access too for the first time since 2015.
    Although a few years ago there was the same problem with the update and some solution was found on the forum. The bug has been fixed in the next update STO. I hope that the difference in the version of directX is a simple misunderstanding.
    Cryptic Studios, as a Federation of Planets, usually help undeveloped civilizations adapt their equipment to the new requirements of the time.

OS Win Pro 8.1
    DirectX 11

Post edited by mahaut#6979 on
    y4zkas7dbnpd.jpg

Still seeing this every time I try to get in.
    edited May 2022
    Okay, so I've been able to get back into the game today, so that's great. Thanks Dev for all your hard work. :)

And I know that there's some additional fixes in the works tomorrow, but I just wanted mention, in case no one has mentioned this today, but I have, and only a few times mind you, crashed to desk top since getting back into the game.

Just thought I mention it in case it helped diagnose a needed fix.

Edit - It just happened again. :/

Edit2 - And again. :o

Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on
  • mahaut#6979 mahaut Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thanks! I am happy to be back in the game
  • r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Any fix for this yet still can not get in game saying client quit

• xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    r24681012 wrote: »
    Any fix for this yet still can not get in game saying client quit

I could get into the game yesterday after the game did a patch update, so it seems to be sorted for Win 8. Has your game patched an update?
  • r24681012r24681012 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Did all patches made no difference
    Well, the constant crashes have stopped.
    :: phew ::