"There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010

Comments

• Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    uuuugh. these things are such a scam
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Meh. Whatever. Not gonna bother. Don't really see the point honestly in trying to monitize images on the internet. Not like people can't just copy/paste or even screenshot.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    I am old and have no idea what most of that means. I think it is for the best, because it looks expensive. And I’m not sure what my algorithmicaly-generated crew will do in their algorithmicaly-generated ships—but it sounds like doffing to me. I don’t like doffing. Also I think I prefer Thomas Marone-generated ships, anyway. But maybe not at 250$-a-pop.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    uuuugh. these things are such a scam

The Warp Zone's Mario Reacts to NFTs in Video Games has the best explanation about NFTs. Unfortunately, one of the characters talking describes disturbing imagery so I am not willing to post a link to it. Essentially, it is about various companies using NFTs to create artificial scarcity for a virtual item that has infinite supply that is sold to victims unwilling to realize they have been scammed. Where they will fanatically defend their idiotic purchase.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    So where does my NFT go if the power goes out? Do I get to take my NFT off my old computer and install it on my new one? What if the NFT is noncompatible with my new computer because reasons? Do I get my money back? Can I sell copies of my NFT to other people? And what do I do if it gets TRIBBLE? I have autograhed photos of most of the TOS cast. Are these now valueless?
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @thunderfoot#5163 said:
    > So where does my NFT go if the power goes out? Do I get to take my NFT off my old computer and install it on my new one? What if the NFT is noncompatible with my new computer because reasons? Do I get my money back? Can I sell copies of my NFT to other people? And what do I do if it gets TRIBBLE? I have autograhed photos of most of the TOS cast. Are these now valueless?

I don't know much about this, but NFTs are not about the actual picture. You just 'buy' some sort of speculative value represented by some bit of code, the picture you see has nothing to do with it (ut's just a representation) and you don't own it.

Your physical autographed cards will always be that. A NFT is just the idea of value and for it to be worth anything you need like-minded people that agree that this idea has a monetary value. You can't sell it to anyone not involved in the idea whereas your autographs can.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @thunderfoot#5163 said:
    > So where does my NFT go if the power goes out? Do I get to take my NFT off my old computer and install it on my new one? What if the NFT is noncompatible with my new computer because reasons? Do I get my money back? Can I sell copies of my NFT to other people? And what do I do if it gets TRIBBLE? I have autograhed photos of most of the TOS cast. Are these now valueless?

I don't know much about this, but NFTs are not about the actual picture. You just 'buy' some sort of speculative value represented by some bit of code, the picture you see has nothing to do with it (ut's just a representation) and you don't own it.

Your physical autographed cards will always be that. A NFT is just the idea of value and for it to be worth anything you need like-minded people that agree that this idea has a monetary value. You can't sell it to anyone not involved in the idea whereas your autographs can.

ya know what they used to call something valueless in the day that had value because you convinced other people to buy it thinking it was worth something? a Pyramid scheme
  • Options
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > ya know what they used to call something valueless in the day that had value because you convinced other people to buy it thinking it was worth something? a Pyramid scheme

Oh, it absolutely is. NFTs and Crypto are jokingly referred to as multi-level marketing schemes for men as opposed to cosmetics or tupperware schemes that are more prevalent amongst women. It's the same thing in principle, though. The NFTs/Cryptos people hold can only develop any value by comvincing/recruiting others to jump in as well. When nobody wants to 'buy' your doodad, your money is lost.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    When I first read off the website following the announcement, I thought, "Gee. Did they rip-off Cryptic's Admiralty system to promote NFT starship cards?"
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    My whole view on the NFT gimmick...

tumblr_n32bdmDG2S1rkvl19o1_400.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Meh. Whatever. Not gonna bother. Don't really see the point honestly in trying to monitize images on the internet. Not like people can't just copy/paste or even screenshot.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    My whole view on the NFT gimmick...

tumblr_n32bdmDG2S1rkvl19o1_400.gif

I love when people don't care so much they post twice (so far, maybe more to come) in the same thread telling you how much they don't care :D

But seriously, has anyone else noticed the Disco cast posting these extremely painful advertisements for this? I think so far it's just been Anthony Rapp and SMG:

I can only assume they somehow got roped into doing this as part of their contracts. Either way it's equally sad and comical to see.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    At least the top comments are well deserved for their efforts 😄
    lFC4bt2.gif