test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unsupported Video Card Message

drakomagidrakomagi Member Posts: 124 Arc User
I'm now getting an unsupported video card message when I try to run STO.

I have the most up-to-date drivers for my AMD card and am running DirectX 12.

Anyone else encounter something like this and know how to fix it?

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Question: is anything else happening? Are you just getting the message or are you unable to run STO? It helps to be as specific as possible in this case because we were having an unsupported driver message that, for some like myself, had no impact on gameplay.

Also, anytime you post something like this include your hardware info. It's a good practice for technical support forums where devs are looking.

Anyway, I've been finding that having the most recent AMD drivers (can't say what you're using, this is why hardware info is a good thing to include :tongue:) has not been good for STO. Yesterday I was getting D3D crashes (after updating to latest drivers) which I think I solved by rolling back my drivers to a set from last September (could have gone for more recent but hey I wanted to be definite.) Remember, just as new drivers can solve fixes (incidentally in STO's case) they can also introduce new bugs.

You might try rolling back your drivers. You can do that with one option in Device Manager but if that doesn't fix it you may want to try rolling back further. There's a few ways you can do that but, if you want to go this route, let's try the one-click method first. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • resumodresumod Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I think he is running into the same problem I do.
    Replaced my old AMD 7850 (died) with an R7 360 and installed the newest driver (17.4.3 and 17.4.4).

Other hardware is simply an Q6600 with 8GB of ram and Windows 7 running in the background.

Some games won't start with that driver, my TV-Card software is telling me, that is not finding a HAL-Supporting device and that I should check if i realy use a grapiccard, that is supporting direct3d and directX9.
    DirectX on the other hand says "everything allright".

And now STO is telling me
    "You will be unable to play using your current Video Card. Please upgrade your Video Card to one that supports DirectX Hardware Feature Level 10 or higher. [See doc]."
    Ehm, yes, a R7 360 does support DX 10, it does even support DX11, as well es DX9.

I don't know what old code parts AMD left behind, but currently everything above 17.x seems to not be a good idea.
    See https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1226256/amd-driver-still-not-being-detected?sso=eyJ1bmlxdWVpZCI6Ijg5ODUzNjMzIiwibmFtZSI6InJlc3Vtb2QiLCJlbWFpbCI6Imd1bi1nb0B3ZWIuZGUiLCJwaG90b3VybCI6Imh0dHBzOlwvXC93d3cuYXJjZ2FtZXMuY29tXC9pbWFnZXNcL2FjY291bnRcL3VzZXIuanBnIiwicm9sZXMiOiJNZW1iZXIiLCJjbGllbnRfaWQiOiIxNDQzOTY4OTgxIn0=+d55b9b05a3368f8514c2532ab371c4f9b65a224d+1493499366+hmacsha1

Drivers are propperly removed and installed, card is correctly recognized in the device manager.
    Something is realy going wrong here.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    resumod wrote: »
    Drivers are propperly removed and installed, card is correctly recognized in the device manager.
    Something is realy going wrong here.

Did you install the same drivers? Go for older, they're still offered as manual downloads from AMD's website.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • resumodresumod Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I know, I did.
    Back to 16.7 something. Was running on the 7850 and I knew it works. Not in the mood to test through the drivers, if a newer one works...

AMD was cutting away to many things in their crimsons, and the knife is still hot.
    Can't play stuff with the Europa Engine (Hearts of Iron 2) anymore, because they either crash or just work with broken military symbols (all the same).
    TV card is grumpy, STO is grumpy, Titan Quest does not want to start - and so on, with 17.4

Wanted to build a new AMD-AMD System this year - not shure if I will do. Can't recoment AMD-cards to anyone right now. Just because of the drivers.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    STO has had this problem for far too long.

You will have to properly uninstall your up-to-date AMD drivers, and install older 17.1.2 drivers from February.

These are the newest drivers that work for me right now..

None of my other games have this problem, just STO.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• peqleghpeqlegh Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Yea, it's an old and very persistent bug at that. As long as your getting that message though, it will play. In my case, STO now thinks that my AMD Radeon RX 470 (a DX12 card) doesn't support DX10 (or later)... I have emailed Cryptic, but right now I can't even load the game. :-/

Downgraded video drivers, I can play again....But really, this is beyond "old"...
    Post edited by peqlegh on
  • meeceeyoumeeceeyou Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Anybody else having issue with Nvidia giving unsupported video card. Says it will not run on unsupported video card even though it was running. Nvidia GTX 970 on Intel 6 core processor machine running windows 10. Current drivers and tried older drivers without working. This card supports all Direct x including 12 and Direct x diagnostics finds no issues. This error prevents any loading of the game past the initial login. Even safe mode setting will not start game.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Just ran into this again today, as windows 10 updated some stuff, reset my settings and updated the video drivers...

Why can't Cryptic sort this out?
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• iwilsaniwilsan Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Exactly the same message"unsupported videocard"
    I'm just copy pasting dracomagi's message from 2017:
    I'm now getting an unsupported video card message when I try to run STO.

I have the most up-to-date drivers for my AMD card and am running DirectX 12.

Anyone else encounter something like this and know how to fix it? all my other games are playing fine, only just the STO games are affected.