test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

start up bug

dear devs
i know it wont bother u to much but i have this anoyng bug on launch every time i start STO i need to do it in 2 stages open launcher and press play then go into taskmanager and shut down sto because it freezes even before i see the cryptic sign then the second time around normaly every thing goes fine and i can play the game any hints as to wat migh tbe causing this?

Comments

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,312 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    ...any hints as to wat migh tbe causing this?
    Any hints as to what software/hardware you have and what other processes you have running on your computer when you're trying to launch STO?

For example, if I have a Video playing fullscreen on my second monitor whilst I try to launch STO on the main one, STO will crash when launching. I never managed to figure out the solution to this, so I just don't have a full-screen video playing whenever I launch STO.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • angelfrost1angelfrost1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    I often get the same issue. Sometimes waiting a minute before launching works but still happens from time to time.
  • irishhawkdrakeirishhawkdrake Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    I've been getting this problem here and there for years but today is the worst, I cant even alt-tab to something else and have to reboot completely
  • justincase#6638 justincase Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    ... bug on launch every time i start STO i need to ... go into taskmanager and shut down sto ...

This has been occurring for me off and on for months, but seems to happen more frequently on weekends. Every time I launched the game this past weekend, I had to kill the task and relaunch in order to start the game. I do not know if it is related, but I notice it most frequently when I leave the STO launcher running for a long period while not in game prior to clicking on 'Engage.'

• rcellomanrcelloman Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Hello!
    While I have had similar issues with Cryptic start-up, I've fixed all my issues by checking out my personal PC. I've used various 'free' programs that change, fix, adjust, remove, give recommendations for my PC first, getting all manufacture updates for my PC before 'engaging' STO support first. You will be shocked by programs running in the background in Win 10 'services' don't ever have to run interfering, slowing you down, etc. I don't work for them but (Pegasun System Utilities) will help instantly. Check it out on YouTube).

Yes, the first early times on STO everything is running 'perfectly', then comes a day where something is not. I ran to STO to 'fix' issues, still do, but not until I've checked out my own PC first. Junk files, duplicates, connection speeds, call to my internet provider to see if I am still getting paid for 'speeds', etc. Running STO on my laptop with only 8 gig ram? STO started out fast then slowed down and crashed. Memory issues, background programs taking resources. Doubled my ram, no more STO crashes, 'except' for some 'map moves'. Ran STO with a VPN running - STO ran like a champ, but all the 'hops' in VPN protecting my PC/STO could interfere at some hop.
    Ran force verify, checked on-demand patching in STO options before starting STO. STO was very helpful, asking for my PC diagnostics - checking connection hops from my internet provider to their server - there was a delay that 'I' saw on screen during the run that just stopped for some 14 seconds before going again - bet that was where STO stopped the 'connection' as it was not receiving expected time requirements (aka STO 'map moves?). Fast as networks are these days, 14sec is several lifetimes.
    'Most' problems went away, but before my 'laptop', I ran STO on my BIG PC (before it died to an issue I created), Fast NVidia vid card, 3840x2160 super resolution monitor, '32 gig ram', not a single issue with STO game runs no internet issue regardless of day/time. STO ran so fast the other players would leave the area/map as they could not keep up with my ship taking out everything!
    'Jus sayin', check out ur PC current status regularly. STO can't fix 'hidden' issues. I run clean-ups before even starting STO. On any network you are not the only one in your area 'alone' on the network lines, specially 'on-weekends'. People with 'gaming PC's - no issues? STO may show minimum requirements to run, but double those where u can. Good luck!