What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FED Ship for my 2nd Ton

2»

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,006 Arc User
    After a short pause to reconsider am aligning my advice on the Lorca console back to what it was earlier in the thread.

It's simply best in slot for the vast majority of directed energy builds.

This is based purely on it being one of the largest and easily obtainable sources of Critical Chance.

The other recommendation of an Assimilated Module as a single console addition to this build remains.

Two other honorable mentions would be -

Temporal Disentanglement Suite (story line reward) for non-A2B builds

Zero Point Energy Conduit

I've yet to find a character on which more CrtH isn't a good thing.
  • Options
    jinno1993#9127 jinno1993 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    To be honest, I'd say +Crit Chance works better on low Crit builds:

Think about it:

if I have 5% Crit Chance, it means that 1 hit out of 20 is a Crit.
    if I add another 5% I get 10%, which means 1 hit out of 10 is a Crit.
    with a +5% I doubled the Critical Chances.

Instead, if I have 45% Crit Chance. it means that about 1 hit out of 2 is a Crit.
    Adding a +5% I get 50% which is roughly the same.

I'm not Sayint Crit Chance isn't good. I'm just saying that maybe there are better choices.
    If I remove 1 Vulnerability Locator, I lose about 100-200 damage from EVERY weapon (which mean I lose about 1000 damage out of 20.000)

I may deal slightly more critical hits, but I'd lose damage (both base and critical), for just a 2% more critical chance.
    Really, I want to see the numbers before investing in this. It's not that i don't trust you, is that ... I don't know, this just seem wrong.

Maybe that 120 in shield penetration is a good compensation for the lost damage, which is something I can accept. But if it's just for a +2% Crit Chance ... :\

BTW, considering how disgusting is the situation with FED Boffs (non FED races work better than FED ones) and considering that ROM toons have easy access to best BOFFs around...

... and considering we just received another Experimental Ship Upgrade, I've decided this:

FED toon: I'll go with easy stuff (less dil expensive as possible) to do TFOs and farm dil.

I've just started another ROM toon (this one will be FED-aligned) and will work with it to get a FED Ship. so I think I'll come again when I'll be ready with that toon.

So probably I won't do exatly the same Cannon Build but will be going as cheap as possible.
    Probably I'll just get Mk XV Weapons and get some Rep stuff. That should be enough for Advanced TFOs
  • Options
    ... I don't know, this just seem wrong :\
    Until you get somebody to either present the math or use a parser all I can say is 100% of my directed energy weapon builds use the Lorca console as the final tactical console or in the universal slot on miracle worker / T-6X ship.

It also seems to be the a top pick in the usual more formal venues for advanced build info that I linked in an earlier thread of yours - fleet-kolhr-temporal-warbird/p1. You should check out those links yourself if you have doubts.

They would be the folks to consult as they do both the proper math and testing with a parser which is why they're such valuable sources of build information.

I trust their recommendations but wouldn't pass them on unless I've tried them and they work well for me :smile:

One of those parties did have this to say about the Lorca console -
    Pretty much always slot this <the Lorca Console>. The 2-piece is excellent and with extra CrtH and shield pen it’s better than a Locator
    Tactical Consoles: Save a slot for Lorca's Custom Fire Controls from the Discovery Legends reputation
    Should you need options for either a cannon or beam Gagarin / Fleet Shepard build the in-depth (for me) recommendations I've already made remain the same, including the additional info on page 1 of this thread. It's an exceptional ship!
    Here's all those handy links from your other thread. There's some great reading here! I encourage you to continue to try new things.
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, I just number-crunched my current build, and shifting from a Locator to a Lorca actually caused a net loss of 1.4% of my energy weapons damage. This at 46.3->48.2 crit hit, and 172 crit severity.

The reason: while I did see an increase in crits overall, the hits (both crit and non-crit, as calculated from observed tooltip amounts) were only 96.4% of previous values and that cancelled out the benefit of 1.9% more frequent crits. (projected out over 100 firing cycles, mathematically, the Locator build did a total of 3.635 million damage while the Lorca one only did 3.585 million.)

soooo ... I was right ?
    BTW, what is a tooltip ? Is a built-in function in STO ? Where can I find a parser to monitor damage done ?
  • Options
    I'm following these instructions to set-up a parser (let me know if it's good): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQ4QX8TmAs
    As for Locators vs Lorca, as far as I understand, they are roughly the same without set bonus, so even if Lorca is better, it would be only SLIGHTLY better ...

Probably I will give it a try anyway in the future, when and if I would have some dil to invest.

BTW... I've noticed, correct me if I'm wrong (I still have to log in the game), there is a 100% coupon for a T6 ship *_*
    what should I take ?

Me, personally, I'd take a Khollr Warbird (for Pride of Mol'Rihan) which looks cool, but I'm open to alternatives.
    I've considered a T'varo, but that's a old Ship and probably there are other ways to get a coupon specifically for those (I think the Event Campaign had 2 as grand prize, too bad I only completed the last episode T_T )

PS: you have probably noticed by now, but english is not my first language, so forgive me if my text is not correct D:
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, I just number-crunched my current build, and shifting from a Locator to a Lorca actually caused a net loss of 1.4% of my energy weapons damage. This at 46.3->48.2 crit hit, and 172 crit severity.

The reason: while I did see an increase in crits overall, the hits (both crit and non-crit, as calculated from observed tooltip amounts) were only 96.4% of previous values and that cancelled out the benefit of 1.9% more frequent crits. (projected out over 100 firing cycles, mathematically, the Locator build did a total of 3.635 million damage while the Lorca one only did 3.585 million.)

soooo ... I was right ?
    BTW, what is a tooltip ? Is a built-in function in STO ? Where can I find a parser to monitor damage done ?

No, you were not right. You're getting lead astray.

Not so sure it's necessary to start at ground zero when the testing has already been done. After all it took others years and many pages of math, testing, discussion. Even peer review...

All that's lacking here is some clear language putting things into perspective.

There's nothing wrong with questioning things however most recommendations in this thread have already been tested, including the Lorca console.

It's quite possible for a back yard mechanic to enjoy the performance benefits of a recurved distributor or new cam on their vehicle without being directly involved in the math and testing of those same items.

Is this any different ?
    Where can I find a parser to monitor damage done

Links were provided somewhere in one of your three previous threads.

fleet-kolhr-temporal-warbird/p1

gettin-one-shotted-by-tzenkethi-torpedoes

fleet-t6-arkif-good-cheap-build
  • Options
    My only T6 Ship is the Morrigu (Emergency Weapon Cycle).
    As for the Ship, yeah, I'll probably buy it just for the trait, maybe for the Console if useful ...

My other ships are:
    - Valdore
    - Thuderchild (T3 - Akira Variant)

My main ships are:
    - Fleet Shepard (FED)
    - Fleet Khollr (ROM/KDF)
    - ??? (ROM/FED)

• Options
    Hmmm ... Gagarin Trait looks good, but not great ... I mean, I already have both skills (CSV and TS) and also have them both in Tray 1 (the one that gets activated with a single button) so it would require attention to be exploited.

Good thing would be I'd unlock the skin for the Fleet Shepard, which is cool, but downside is that I can't port it on my main ton (ROM/KDF).

Best choice seems to be the Khollr for now (which I can port on all toons)
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Hmmm ... Gagarin Trait looks good, but not great ... I mean, I already have both skills (CSV and TS) and also have them both in Tray 1 (the one that gets activated with a single button) so it would require attention to be exploited.

Good thing would be I'd unlock the skin for the Fleet Shepard, which is cool, but downside is that I can't port it on my main ton (ROM/KDF).

Best choice seems to be the Khollr for now (which I can port on all toons)

Anything with Cannon Scatter Volley would be helped by Withering Barrage to extend it's duration. There is a gap of about 4 seconds in the firing mode that gets filled by the trait.

@westmetals suggestions History will Remember and Pride of Mol'Rihan are both good. POM will be based on your factions primary energy type just as an additional reminder. Unsure how this works in game. Would a single ship's trait buff Phaser on Feds, Disruptor on KDF, and Plasma on Romulans? I think so.

Calm Before the Storm from the Cardassian Intel Flight-Deck Cruiser is very good and unlocks a special type of disruptor weapon.

There's some more suggestions in a recent thread in this forum here and also some rankings here
  • Options
    Yup, I've seen it ... thanks God I did choose the Khollr Warbird for free t6 ship ahah