thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So basically Counterpoint, with Jupiter station instead of DS9.

I think is more like Mirror Invasion... but whatever, i hope its fun and not so time gated...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    So...they're back to cutting and pasting existing content as 'new' content? Hopefully Kael ISN'T proofreading the cut nd paste text of the TFO. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    If they're going to bring Jupiter Station to the game, maybe they can also finally do something with what happened in 'Midnight'.

The Heralds were bringing some sort of structure near Jupiter during the battle. A Gorn ship (the Varanus?) was going to stop them.

And that's literally all we know, saw or heard about that.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    I am slightly leaning towards optimistic for this one. Reflections gave us a new decent Ground TFO with a cool environmental redress of SAD that makes you want to just wander around in looking at the details. The Mission in it while essentially a double use of the same assets was cool with some newer mechanics. Even if it is basically a Counterpoint redress we may get lucky and it be a vastly improved Counterpoint.
  • Options
    The text in the article is good. As in, it provides yet another example of why the Terran Empire isn't a believable enemy at all. One more to add to the list.

Executing a chief engineer because he was too late with something. Encouraging the use of weapons to work your way up the ranks - resulting in who knows how many more deaths, feelings of betrayal and distrust amongst the people who are working for you and so on.

It's a funny paradox: shouldn't every person of some importance in the Terran Empire have been executed for incompetence? They're not exactly good examples of competent leadership if you think about it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    The text in the article is good. As in, it provides yet another example of why the Terran Empire isn't a believable enemy at all. One more to add to the list.

Executing a chief engineer because he was too late with something. Encouraging the use of weapons to work your way up the ranks - resulting in who knows how many more deaths, feelings of betrayal and distrust amongst the people who are working for you and so on.

It's a funny paradox: shouldn't every person of some importance in the Terran Empire have been executed for incompetence? They're not exactly good examples of competent leadership if you think about it.

Keep in mind here that the Terran Empire strives for people do their absolute best for the glory of the Empire, and if they are disloyal or in this case, not up to the standards set by someone in their command, then they can be executed and someone else can take their place. That, and advancement by murder & sleeping with those in power are common practices with the Mirror universe Terrans.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options

Keep in mind here that the Terran Empire strives for people do their absolute best for the glory of the Empire, and if they are disloyal or in this case, not up to the standards set by someone in their command, then they can be executed and someone else can take their place. That, and advancement by murder & sleeping with those in power are common practices with the Mirror universe Terrans.

I know.

And that's why it's hard to take them serious.

• Options
    So...they're back to cutting and pasting existing content as 'new' content? Hopefully Kael ISN'T proofreading the cut nd paste text of the TFO. ;)

The text also says that several ships will be there. Not just the Defiant like in Counterpoint, but also the Enterprise and Voyager.

So I doubt it's an almost exact copy of existing content.

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    Anyone else not seeing this on the News page? I fired up the Launcher, and it came up with a count down and picture of a planet... which links to the News page. At least after you login it puts an actual useful link to the TFO in the smaller box.

Hope the TFO is fun.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User

The terran empire doesn't make sense even slightly. Any minor change in history would result in a vastly different world. Yet the mirror universe has vast changes that would cause giant ripples yet somehow it's still just a mirror of the current Federation (down to nearly identical ships, just painted differently), with everyone having a mirror duplicate

• Options
    xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Hopefully it's not like the old Mirror Invasion TFO where you have to defend Vauthil station, power it up, and close portals while being interrupted by someone sneezing on you.
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

I know.

And that's why it's hard to take them serious.

I dont know.. that works on some banks and some other companies in this universe.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Maybe this will lead to Jupiter Station being used as a fleet holding of some sort?
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    Are we sure this is a legitimate News Post? It doesn't have enough spelling errors or bad dates?
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    I enjoyed the Mirror Invasion TFO - dare I say my favorite space TFO - and actually do hope it is similar, since it was challenging and made teamwork rewarding. Looking forward.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Are we sure this is a legitimate News Post? It doesn't have enough spelling errors or bad dates?

LOL and :thumbsup: :smiley:
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So basically Counterpoint, with Jupiter station instead of DS9.
    It does feel like it might be a replacement for mirror invasion.

• Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    Actually, I hope it's full of timegates, so I can start the TFO in solo mode and go make myself a sandwich while it autocompletes in afk-mode...

🥴
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2022
    I'll wait and see what this TFO is like, it be nice to see one that starts in Space, and then you beam down and finish the battle in Ground. That's something they've never done for a TFO before, though we do it in missions all the time.

:)
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    More importantly, will they use Holst: The Planets OP32:Iv jupiter for the soundtrack?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    > @crm14916 said:
    > Actually, I hope it's full of timegates, so I can start the TFO in solo mode and go make myself a sandwich while it autocompletes in afk-mode...
    >
    > 🥴

Warp in, deploy frigates, go have coffee and a scone. That's my strategy for all of these time-gated, lazy missions.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I enjoyed the Mirror Invasion TFO - dare I say my favorite space TFO - and actually do hope it is similar, since it was challenging and made teamwork rewarding. Looking forward.

Agreed.

The original Mirror Invasion was challenging.

As others are pointing out though, there were also some serious flaws - especially the easy interruption from even the tiniest amount of damage to your ship. Time gates are generally awful too, so I wouldn't be disappointed if those aren't present.

• Options
    discojer wrote: »

The terran empire doesn't make sense even slightly. Any minor change in history would result in a vastly different world. Yet the mirror universe has vast changes that would cause giant ripples yet somehow it's still just a mirror of the current Federation (down to nearly identical ships, just painted differently), with everyone having a mirror duplicate

That's also true. Even one simple change (like Cochrane shooting the Vulcan visitors during first contact (in Enterprise, not the movie, just to be clear)) should have many different effects and result in a very different universe.

But we're not looking at a Mirror Universe that has done one important thing differently. The constant infighting, rebellions, betrayal, turning entire planets like Qo'nos into a wasteland - their universe should differ in almost every aspect from ours.

• Options
    diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I am really looking forward to it. I thought Operation Wolf was well done and is one of my favorite TFO’s. I also loved the first episode of the new Mirror Universe story arc. I am looking forward to a continuation of the story.

I also think the mirror universe with all the betrayals, assassinations, and executions a bit unstable and over the top, but it it does provide a diversion and something fresh. In my own head canon, assassination and executions are rare and only for extreme situations. Punishment and exposure to the agonizer are far more common. Leadership is through fear and established dominance like an alpha wolf in a wolf pack. Once an alpha establishes their dominance the whole pack follows them as a tight team. If the alpha wolf becomes weak or is killed, that starts up a struggle for dominance to take his place. I like to think of Terran leadership like a wolf pack. Otherwise it would totally lacking in social cohesion to be a functioning society.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User

The "everyone has a mirror duplicate" is an artifact of the "mirror universe" trope. As for the rest of it, the Empire hasn't invented anything new since their mycelian reactors; all their ships look like Starfleet ships these days because since the 2260s, all their designs are stolen from Starfleet. That stagnation is probably one of the reasons the Empire fell and the universes diverged again sometime before the 32nd century.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited January 2022

That's also true. Even one simple change (like Cochrane shooting the Vulcan visitors during first contact (in Enterprise, not the movie, just to be clear)) should have many different effects and result in a very different universe.

But we're not looking at a Mirror Universe that has done one important thing differently. The constant infighting, rebellions, betrayal, turning entire planets like Qo'nos into a wasteland - their universe should differ in almost every aspect from ours.
    What I'd love is to have one story arc in Discovery giving some justification to it.

Because while it doesn't seem to be the opinion of any Trek's writer, it'd be nice to finally fully justify the name "Mirror Universe".
    For example, by having it revealed to be some kind of twisted joke pulled by some eldritch force to force this universe to have the same people at various points in time where previous changes should have made it impossible. And then, said force got bored and stopped making sure it's similar but reversed despite how implausible it is and let it collapse and split further and further until the current 32nd century setting.

At this point, it's ARGUABLY the "safest" solution to explain how such a cartoonishly evil universe can have the same characters around (and often just in time for their Prime counterparts (' friends) to meet them before they're killed) and keeping existing.

Or heck, why not make this whole universe an eldritch horror itself that could only thrive if the Prime Universe interacted with it in any way at least once every century or something, and then started dying in the 27th century due to no interaction happening between the two?

That could also explain why Georgiou went from murderous, genocidal, egomaniac, remorseless, alien-eating emperor to someone "merely" ruthless who couldn't stand how utterly evil this universe was by staying out of it for a while.

Discovery already added its own unnecessary "Terrans are more sensitive to light for some reason" and "characters from different eras and universes can suffer a deadly and over-the-top-looking temporal sickness" changes, why not trying to give another justification?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

The "everyone has a mirror duplicate" is an artifact of the "mirror universe" trope. As for the rest of it, the Empire hasn't invented anything new since their mycelian reactors; all their ships look like Starfleet ships these days because since the 2260s, all their designs are stolen from Starfleet. That stagnation is probably one of the reasons the Empire fell and the universes diverged again sometime before the 32nd century.

Just to be clear, what I'm about to say is not disagreeing with anything you said.

But the truth is, none of this makes any logical sense. There is no logical way that the TOS era MU would be an exact 1:1 duplicate of each "Prime" universe character/ship, because all of the events prior to that time period would have been so incredibly different in the MU that it would have lead each of those people on extremely different paths, and half would probably be dead or never even exist in the first place (because their exact 2 parents wouldn't have gotten together either). So there is no logical way to even explain this; it's just TV nonsense as you alluded to with the "mirror trope".

But ignoring the fact that none of this makes any sense, the TNG version of the mirror universe is fleshed out really well in IDW's comics:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_-_Mirror_Broken

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.